Ellsbury is all smiles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Ellsbury is all smiles

Did you get a load of that beautiful "Reverse-Pivot Swing?" 

Heeeeeeeee's back!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

People who use the term Fragile to describe Ells, ovbiously dont have a clue. Thank God (for Ells) GM's understand the scope of his injuries.

Thats your opinion and I respect it. However, I disagree. I think he IS fragile and his history shows it. There is variation in how people form their bones and connective tissue; some do it better than others. Its possible that Ellsbury simply has a constitutional issue with how his body makes bones and ligaments. Just speculation, of course. Its also possible that his reckless style of play, as Moon has mentioned, has led to his frequent and prolonged injuries. The point is that they HAVE happened, and they have happened a LOT. I don't want the Red Sox to assume much liability or reponsiblity for the consequences of them happening over the next five years. Let some other GM do that. Oh, and I do think that GMs know his history and that it will affect the offers from the smarter GMs. In the end he will get a big payday IMO, but not from our team.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

so 2 major injuries is a lot?

this "ellsbury is fragile" crowd is FUNNY! it's like you people (what do you mean "you people"?!?!?) refuse to see the facts as they stare you in the face.

ellsbury is NOT injury prone in any sense of the word. put any other player into those situations and they would also miss simillar time. Whether it be Cal Ripken or JD drew....

injury prone is going onto the DL repeatedly due to day to day baseball activities. Players who get especially worn down from the daily grinds of baseball get the label of injury prone. NOT players who suffer a freak injury.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a lot of things (mostly good) but "injury prone" is not one of them. anyone who says otherwise is simply being obtuse or is just stupid.

Well MEF, I guess I am just in the "stupid" crowd. Where does that leave you?

Guess I will just chalk up your last inane post to immaturity.

chalk it up to whatever you like. the fact is, he is not injury prone. Now, if he had missed all those games over the course of several years (as opposed to simply 2) AND had 7-10+ trips to the DL and needed 4 surgeries (shoutout to Kalish) he could be labeled as injury prone. that is not the case.

can we start calling pitchers who go down with UCL tears injury prone? they also miss a ton of time due to a single injury. no? what about pedroia? can we call HIM injury prone? he missed a ton of time due to his single injury... so why are we saying the same thing about Ellsbury?

calling Ellsbury injury prone is not factually correct. people who intentionally say things that are not factually correct are stupid... no?

I would say that people on this forum who call others stupid are stupid. What say you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

People who use the term Fragile to describe Ells, ovbiously dont have a clue. Thank God (for Ells) GM's understand the scope of his injuries.

Thats your opinion and I respect it. However, I disagree. I think he IS fragile and his history shows it. There is variation in how people form their bones and connective tissue; some do it better than others. Its possible that Ellsbury simply has a constitutional issue with how his body makes bones and ligaments. Just speculation, of course. Its also possible that his reckless style of play, as Moon has mentioned, has led to his frequent and prolonged injuries. The point is that they HAVE happened, and they have happened a LOT. I don't want the Red Sox to assume much liability or reponsiblity for the consequences of them happening over the next five years. Let some other GM do that. Oh, and I do think that GMs know his history and that it will affect the offers from the smarter GMs. In the end he will get a big payday IMO, but not from our team.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

so 2 major injuries is a lot?

this "ellsbury is fragile" crowd is FUNNY! it's like you people (what do you mean "you people"?!?!?) refuse to see the facts as they stare you in the face.

ellsbury is NOT injury prone in any sense of the word. put any other player into those situations and they would also miss simillar time. Whether it be Cal Ripken or JD drew....

injury prone is going onto the DL repeatedly due to day to day baseball activities. Players who get especially worn down from the daily grinds of baseball get the label of injury prone. NOT players who suffer a freak injury.

Jacoby Ellsbury is a lot of things (mostly good) but "injury prone" is not one of them. anyone who says otherwise is simply being obtuse or is just stupid.

Well MEF, I guess I am just in the "stupid" crowd. Where does that leave you?

Guess I will just chalk up your last inane post to immaturity.

chalk it up to whatever you like. the fact is, he is not injury prone. Now, if he had missed all those games over the course of several years (as opposed to simply 2) AND had 7-10+ trips to the DL and needed 4 surgeries (shoutout to Kalish) he could be labeled as injury prone. that is not the case.

can we start calling pitchers who go down with UCL tears injury prone? they also miss a ton of time due to a single injury. no? what about pedroia? can we call HIM injury prone? he missed a ton of time due to his single injury... so why are we saying the same thing about Ellsbury?

calling Ellsbury injury prone is not factually correct. people who intentionally say things that are not factually correct are stupid... no?

I would say that people on this forum who call others stupid are stupid. What say you?

[/QUOTE]

i say that is stupid Tongue Out

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BigPapiforever's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Since finding out the Giants signed Pence to 5yrs at an annual rate of 18M.

Both compare pretty good, but with different strngths.

Ellsbury is a much better defender at a premium position. Has a higher WAR than Pence by 1.5. Obviously faster, though pence can steal 20 bags. Ells has the better BA and OBP.

Pence plays 160 games a year. Ells has had 2 oddball collisions that kept him out. I refuse to call that injury prone. Regardless, Pence has proven he can stay healthy.

Both are 30yo (4 months apart), both have successful postseason experience.

My guess is Ellsbury will make no less than 18M and 5yrs because of Pence's new deal.

Boy, that's really going out on the limb.  Even before this signing by Pence, Jacoby was getting at least this.  The only question is what jersey will jacoby be wearing next year?

[/QUOTE]

Its more of a confirmation than anything jack, and a comparison. Most here realize that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcri. Show jcri's posts

Southpaw, I agree 110pc with you on Pence--14 was exactly where I had him pegged.  So much for what the market will bare.  I think he's a great team guy and would approximate ELLS' production and stays in the lineup, but he flails at a lot of pitches and doesn't grind much.

Critter

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Since finding out the Giants signed Pence to 5yrs at an annual rate of 18M.

Both compare pretty good, but with different strngths.

Ellsbury is a much better defender at a premium position. Has a higher WAR than Pence by 1.5. Obviously faster, though pence can steal 20 bags. Ells has the better BA and OBP.

Pence plays 160 games a year. Ells has had 2 oddball collisions that kept him out. I refuse to call that injury prone. Regardless, Pence has proven he can stay healthy.

Both are 30yo (4 months apart), both have successful postseason experience.

My guess is Ellsbury will make no less than 18M and 5yrs because of Pence's new deal.

Boy, that's really going out on the limb.  Even before this signing by Pence, Jacoby was getting at least this.  The only question is what jersey will jacoby be wearing next year?

Its more of a confirmation than anything jack, and a comparison. Most here realize that.

Sorry, your use of the word guess made me think you were making a prediction.  A comparison is made between things of which have already happened.  A confirmation can not be made of things of which have not happened yet. 

Are you confirming that Jacoby is getting the same or more than Pence?  If so, that is really going out on the limb.  Good for you for not playing it safe and taking a chance.

Yes, a confirmation that The market has been set for top OF'ers at 18M and 5yrs. kinda like what happened with Crawford and Werth a few years back when Werth got a ridiculous 18M per. Since CC was rated higher than Werth, it was almost certain he would get at least what werth did it terms of dollar amount annually. The comparison was between Ells and Pence as my reasoning for saying that I believe Ells will get at least that amount. Also, Since Ells is rated higher than pence, he should get at least 18M and 5yrs.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

I wish him the best in his future endeavors on another team. I just hope he realizes that his performance in these playoffs may earn him an extra $2 million per year and he plays accordingly.

He is a very good player. A .300 hitter, with 40+ stolen bases and slightly above average defense. He's a solid $15 million player, and if another team gives him more than he's worth, so be it. He will miss hundreds of games over the life of that next contract and will never hit more than 15 homers again. But when he does play, he will be the deciding factor in winning that team some games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The speculation is useless. There is no telling what a team might pay for a player they desire. We have seen it so many times over the years. No sense in trying to guess a dollar amount. Suffice to say that Ellsbury will become a very rich young man. Whether in Boston or elsewhere. That is how it is today. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Pinstripes at $21,000,046 x 5 years.  Bora$ will get them to bid vs imaginary teams  and get them to throw in that extra 46 bucks per year jersey number.

if he has lights out postseason you can add $1MM per to that number......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

ou actually defended 'crawbust' and thought he was a solid signing 

In fact, I said to "avoid Crawford like the plague". You and others were giddy when his signing was announced. No one denounced Crawford more than I did, before the idiotic Red Sox middle management signed him.

Ellsbury beyond 60M is going to embarrass the GM who makes the offer. His reverse pivot has him up to 9 HR for 2013 season, along with his sub .800 OPS. No way the guy is a 50SB a year guy on a 5 or 6 year deal. Nice to see Crisp get 22 HR this season. 

Choo is the better value and fit, though guranteeing him more than 60M is a huge mistake.

You lie like crazy!!! HAHA!!!!  I really wish you didn't get banned so we can see the lier you are....  oh well....eventually they'll catch on and you'll be banned again....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This season Jacoby Ellsbury ranked 13th among position players with a 5.8 WAR* while Hunter Pence ranked 18th at 5.4 WAR:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

For their careers, Ellsbury has been valued at 23.7 WAR in 713 games while Pence has been valued at 24.5 WAR in 944 games.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Paux, while Ellsbury is likely to get what Pence got, or more, real markets don't work that way.  Supply and demand and time and subjective emotion are why the exact same product costs differently based on location, time and subjective emotion. 

Wise GM''s will stay away from big contract guarantees for profiles like Ellsbury. Budgeting the money for a younger replacement or an older and way less expensive veteran allows for cost savings to be applied for better future value and fit beyond just one 30 to 35 year old veteran player.

I agree with supply and demand. That was part of my reasoning for saying the market has been set and why I believe so. We all know that Ellsbury could be a fit on a few different teams that could realistically afford him, so the demand is there. With pence off the market now, the supply just went down. Im sure he will be vastly overpaid like Pence was, but now Ellsbury has some leverage with pence signing for what he did. Not unlike Werth and CC a few years ago.

In this certain situation, Pence, Choo, and Ellsbury are the top OF names on the market currently under 32 right now. Pence is now gone and has set the Market for the top OF'ers. Im not sure Choo will get as much since he will be 32 during the 2014 season and is more of a corner OF'er than a CF. With pence and Ells being about 4mos apart in age, they should be in the same ballpark.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It is like an e-bay auction. When two or more bidders really want the item, things get crazy and the item goes for much more than one would think it was worth. It is futile to try and guess what Ellsbury, or any free agent , will get. 

Stabbed by Foulke.