Ellsbury- Mendoza Line

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

Re: Ellsbury- Mendoza Line

that's a clown thread bro

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The Ellsbury-Mendoza Line?  Is that a commuter rail line from North Station?  Wouldn't know, as I haven't lived in the Boston area for some time now.  They had just finished  the Alewife "T" extention when I left.

Kind of like the double play combo of Atchinson, Topeka, and Santa Fey (no relation to Tina).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's look at the Ellsbury-Mendoza line, Mario Mendoza was made immortal by HOF'er George Brett's offhand comment that he checked the Sunday Paper Stats to make sure he was above the "Mendoza" line of .200. For the record, Mendoza finished his career above the Mendoza Line at .215. (Fun Fact; in these days of OBP, Mendoza walked 52 times in his ENTIRE nine year career!) 

The Ellsbury-Mendoza line will be that number that adds the number of wins gained by the NYY this year over last, and the number of wins lost by the Red Sox over last year. In this way we can look at a real test of WAR. The Sox have played virtually without Ellsbury before, 2010, losing 6 wins off their total YOY. Yet in 2011 Ells returned, had a breakout year, and the Sox gained just 1 more win.

2010 featured former Sox great Darnell MacDonald filling his shoes for the most part, 2014 will have JBJ and/or Grady Sizemore taking Ellsbury's place, I believe that in the end, Ells won't be missed too much.

[/QUOTE]

Can't do that! Yanks spent over 500 mil this offseason, not just Ells will help Yanks this yr. But there infield unfortunately is still Johnson - Jeter - Roberts the pitchers may sue for non support. RS basically added a couple of bullpen arms swapped C's and add Sizemore who if he can stay healthy might have the biggest impact on RS of all. Would like nothing better than to see Yanks not make playoffs after their huge expenditures, and RS despite Yanks signing one of their top players AGAIN, not miss a beat and win division AGAIN! Teach Yanks a lesson - Its not all about the payroll!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Mendoza's career OBP was .245 and his SLG was .262.  Too funny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Let's look at the Ellsbury-Mendoza line, Mario Mendoza was made immortal by HOF'er George Brett's offhand comment that he checked the Sunday Paper Stats to make sure he was above the "Mendoza" line of .200. For the record, Mendoza finished his career above the Mendoza Line at .215. (Fun Fact; in these days of OBP, Mendoza walked 52 times in his ENTIRE nine year career!) 

The Ellsbury-Mendoza line will be that number that adds the number of wins gained by the NYY this year over last, and the number of wins lost by the Red Sox over last year. In this way we can look at a real test of WAR. The Sox have played virtually without Ellsbury before, 2010, losing 6 wins off their total YOY. Yet in 2011 Ells returned, had a breakout year, and the Sox gained just 1 more win.

2010 featured former Sox great Darnell MacDonald filling his shoes for the most part, 2014 will have JBJ and/or Grady Sizemore taking Ellsbury's place, I believe that in the end, Ells won't be missed too much.

[/QUOTE]

Can't do that! Yanks spent over 500 mil this offseason, not just Ells will help Yanks this yr. But there infield unfortunately is still Johnson - Jeter - Roberts the pitchers may sue for non support. RS basically added a couple of bullpen arms swapped C's and add Sizemore who if he can stay healthy might have the biggest impact on RS of all. Would like nothing better than to see Yanks not make playoffs after their huge expenditures, and RS despite Yanks signing one of their top players AGAIN, not miss a beat and win division AGAIN! Teach Yanks a lesson - Its not all about the payroll!

[/QUOTE]
    Just for the sake of discussion..,

What becomes of the Yankee franchise if this DOES happen?  The Y's have so much money tied up in this team now that it's measured in portions of a BILLION dollars and Yankee fans have proven that if their team isn't winning they'll stay away in droves.

If the Yankees miss the PO's another year they may be financially forced to become a 2nd division team until the big contracts are paid off,and that would break my heart.  (Smirk)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    Just for the sake of discussion..,

What becomes of the Yankee franchise if this DOES happen?  The Y's have so much money tied up in this team now that it's measured in portions of a BILLION dollars and Yankee fans have proven that if their team isn't winning they'll stay away in droves.

If the Yankees miss the PO's another year they may be financially forced to become a 2nd division team until the big contracts are paid off,and that would break my heart.  (Smirk)

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees get off to a slow start they might make even more acquisitions by salary dumps or whatever.  If Drew or K. Morales are still unsigned they might grab one of them.  They will show some desperation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think there might be more in play for both teams other than which team Ells plays for that might determine won-loss records.

Injuries, trades since last year, the variations of player performances from year to year.

You know, baseball stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Great response. It seems to me that Youkillus is articulate and apparently a smart person but  is obviously trolling here.  He enjoys his routine and so does Fahita, Burrito, Tacco. They are here for entertainment only. Types like that ruined the Forum. Too bad and everyone else remains silent.

[/QUOTE]

Pike, Pike, Pike, PIKE!....please stop Bad Pike from posting and encourage Good Pike to post more!

Are you seriously suggesting that long-time and valued, if recently AWOL, poster Youk is in some way a(n unwelcome) troll?  That's ridiculous even by Bad Pike's absurd, preachy, trolling standards.

And what's wrong with T other than your mate Bigot-666's anti-Mexican rants?  I don't - and never will - always agree with the guy (or anyone else for that matter) but he seems bright, funny, passionate and good value to me.

Whereas Bad Pike....and Perv-666 make my skin crawl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Did you know that all of the CrowTRobot movies are now on the Disney Channel at 2 am right after the Howdy Doodie reruns?

[/QUOTE]

I did not know that, you arrogant tw@t.  Do you own a television machine, Einstein? How many hours per day do you spend in front of it?

I admit I've never heard of CrowTRobot (though it sounds like something I'd like....I just this week bought a bunch of 60s movie posters and lobby cards from Oliver Reed films....he was a brilliant actor when he was sober and tried, IMO, but did loads of b-movie rubbish when he needed cash....but the b-movie films you mock often had value, IMO....are you seriously saying {most} modern Hollywood films are so much better than many 50s b-movies?  If you are, think again Sunshine), but I know virtually nothing about modern popular culture so that means nothing to anyone.

But you presumably have a television....what are the television shows you value?  How are they "better" than CrowTRobot or anything else?

Exactly how are the television shows you value better than the CrowTRobot series you attempt to mock?

Do tell, Copernicus, in detail, please i.e. "I think "X" television show is better than the "CrowTRobot" show because......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Did you know that all of the CrowTRobot movies are now on the Disney Channel at 2 am right after the Howdy Doodie reruns?

[/QUOTE]

Is that the best you've got, oh hated one? It's like you brought a spoon to a gunfight. Btw, stupid, it's Howdy Doody.

[/QUOTE]

If the forum was moderated, you would be long gone. You are #24 in the Yazzer clan whose claim to fame is one-line insults. Why you are not reported and enabled here is beyond understanding.  You must know someone in the BDC office. Perhaps the forum depends on your type.

[/QUOTE]

I would definitely choose to lose Bad Pike before all others here....even more than the horrible Softy, Idiot-666, evil 67redsox, ad nauseum.  Good Pike, I like.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm sorry, but I absolutely, positively do not buy the OP's thesis.  Ellsbury's best season--way better by far than any season before or since with an OPS an ungodly .928, 32 dingers, and a ridiculous 105 rbi's from the leadoff spot, etc--by far was 2011.  More to the point, he just got better as the season went along and had a great September.  But that is the infamous September when the Sox had the greatest collapse in MLB history.  My lesson is one guy's great season doesn't mean squat if other guys aren't contributing.  You got 9 guys in the lineup, 5 starters, 7 relievers, and 4 guys on the bench.  One guy can't do it all.  Even a great starter who can come close to doing it all only gets to pitch every 5th day. 

The Yankees didn't want to meet Cano's price and for them Ellsbury, who is not as valuable (in my opinion) as Cano, was the best choice available.  With the short porch in RF, he might even go over 20 dingers (before and after 2011 he never went over 10).   But the Yankees need all those other guys hitting, and they need to fix their pitching.  That Japanese guy is probably more key than Ellsbury. 

Our loss is the Yankees gain, no doubt in my mind.  But Cherington did the right thing and has already provided two options--Bradley and Sizemore--neither of whom will matter if the rest of the team isn't playing well and contributing.  Let's not forget that, knowing Boras was/is his agent, we have expected Ellsbury's departure for at least 3 years and probably longer.  It was always clear he would follow the money, but the treatment by his teammates in 2010 sealed the deal.  Youk called him out, and no one defended him. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Ells will bat .300, hit 15-20 Hrs, steal 40-50 bases score 90+ runs. Except for HRS, avg. season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey, PG, my avatar is the photo of the Teddy Ballgame statue outside JetBlue Park. I took it recently when I was in Ft. Meyers. The whole trip was a washout, as I came down with DVT, and had to skip the half-marathon I was entered in. Any recovery advice?

[/QUOTE]

Take aspirin if you are going on airplane flights. Other than that...none. I am a pediatrician; kids do not get DVT.

Dammit PG, was hoping you would advise more amore.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Enoxapirin perhaps?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't really mock this Ellsbury - Mendozza line hypothesis like I did above. Youkillus had a similar thread at the start of the 2013 season  that was titled the Valentine - Mendozza line. He predicted that the absence of Bobby Valentine would be solely responsible for 28 more wins in 2013. He was right on the money  so I was remiss in ridiculing him. My apologies.

[/QUOTE]

I think Farrell made a huge difference last season, but let's not go overboard.  He batted in no runs, turned no double plays, started no games, and had no saves.  And, as I recall, Francona was voted Manager of the Year in the AL. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

my gosh this is going to be a fun year of baseball.  i cannot wait for it to begin.

as for ellsbury.  his impact would have been more dramatic had the cano-show not moved to the left coast.  whateve war he has will not overcome that loss.  also, wasn't a healthy granderson an offensive beast for the yankees?  pretty sure he went yard a whole lot.  he is healthy again this season, correct??  so really they seem to just be trading CFers.  except the new one cost ~$150MM.  sounds like a bad idea to me.  but i certainly do not blame the man for taking the most $$ out there.  he has two rings already.  now he gets the |F| U cash to go with them.  his great grandkids should never have to work a day....

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.