Ellsbury revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury revisited

A year ago Peter Abraham and a lot of folks on this board were after him as a borderline malingerer.

Right now, not quite 1/3 into the 2011 season, he is--

Tied for 4th in the AL in runs scored;
    Tied for 3d in the AL in doubles;
    Tied for 3d in the AL in hits;
    First in AL in SB's;
    Tied for 28th in the AL in rbi's;
    Tied for 19th in the AL in OPS;
    Tied for 20th in the AL in OBP;
    Tied with Gonzalez for most games played (all) for the Sox this season. 

The season isn't over, but it's already fair to say that Ellsbury's offense is the biggest surprise of this season and one of the key reasons why the Sox offense is now 3d best in the AL.  Gonzalez is in my opinion an AL MVP candidate, but he isn't as big an improvement over Youkilis as Ellsbury is over Cameron and the other centerfielders of 2010.  By this time last year Cameron had two errors and wouldn't go deep in CF at Fenway. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Ellsbury revisited

I changed my tune on Ellsbury's supposed "milking his injuries" after fracturing 1 rib myself last summer.  I'd had bruised ribs before, but never fractured, and I guess I forgot how excruciating a rib injury could be.  It took me 7-8 months before I felt right again.  For the first month after it happened, I couldn't even get out of bed in the morning and every movement felt like someone was stabbing me with a filet knife. 

We all want to believe that we'd be stronger than pro athletes and come back from injury sooner than some of them do.  To those that say that Ellsbury is a malingerer, I'd say go fracture 1 rib let alone multiple ribs and then come back here and rip the guy.  You won't be back here ripping him, trust me.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I FX three ribs, very painful and everyone is different. I like Jake and as he goes so does the Sox...(to a certain extent)...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

While I like giving Jake a lot of credit, there's been some others in the lineup who have been pretty good too, especially AGon, but also Youk, Ortiz, Lowrie, the two catchers, Crawford, and sometimes even Drew/Cameron/Reddick.  And, of course, without good pitching, it's tough winning games. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Ellsbury revisited:
    [QUOTE]A year ago Peter Abraham and a lot of folks on this board were after him as a borderline malingerer. Right now, not quite 1/3 into the 2011 season, he is-- Tied for 4th in the AL in runs scored; Tied for 3d in the AL in doubles; Tied for 3d in the AL in hits; First in AL in SB's; Tied for 28th in the AL in rbi's; Tied for 19th in the AL in OPS; Tied for 20th in the AL in OBP; Tied with Gonzalez for most games played (all) for the Sox this season.  The season isn't over, but it's already fair to say that Ellsbury's offense is the biggest surprise of this season and one of the key reasons why the Sox offense is now 3d best in the AL.  Gonzalez is in my opinion an AL MVP candidate, but he isn't as big an improvement over Youkilis as Ellsbury is over Cameron and the other centerfielders of 2010.  By this time last year Cameron had two errors and wouldn't go deep in CF at Fenway. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say Ellsbury's offense is the biggest surprise. He improved in 2009 from 2008 and had an excellent year in 2009. He was injured last year. Whether he could have played more or not is water under the bridge (sorry about the cliche).

The point is I expected him to continue the growth he showed. There was no reason to think that he would have a bad year if he was healthy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

People have often questionned his defense but everytime I look up he's making a terrific play in the outfield. I wonder what's up when he squares to bunt all the time and winds up taking perfectly buntable strike right over the middle of the plate. What's up with that? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury revisited:
    [QUOTE]I FX three ribs, very painful and everyone is different. I like Jake and as he goes so does the Sox...(to a certain extent)...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]
    Don't you want to trade him to LA for Kemp?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ellsbury has never given any indication that he is a malingerer. People should have given him the benefit of the doubt last year. Five broken ribs, came back too soon and aggravated the injury further. The guy is a pure athlete and  a heck of a good ballplayer who seems to be entering his prime.  Glad to have him in center.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Sorry Red Sox fan but Ellsbury jakes it and when his swing starts to get long he slumps, it might seem like a kumba ya moment for all of you as he has been playing well, but don't worry he will be back to over swinging and making the dumbest of plays right before he gets a minor injury and starts jaking it again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

People who make assumptions about things they nothing about are complete idiots, and I'm being kind with that.  They didn't see the X-Rays or the MRIs, didn't talk the Ellsbury or his doctors, and heck, none of them know anything about medicine anyway.

But they make assumptions about the nature of the injury and the pain and when he should come back.  It's like me opining on the number of widgets on a rocket ship.  If you just kick back a little and think about it for a while, you'll see how completely insane it is to call a guy a malingerer when they don't have the foggiest idea of what they're talking about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I believe fracturing a rib in Jacoby's case would be extra hard on him. He always makes diving plays in the outfield and that's gotta be painful -- even after it's somewhat healed. Also a rib injury could have an effect on his swing as well.  He seems like the type of guy who truly wants to be in every game. I think all the speculation was nonsense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Red Sox fan but Ellsbury jakes it and when his swing starts to get long he slumps, it might seem like a kumba ya moment for all of you as he has been playing well, but don't worry he will be back to over swinging and making the dumbest of plays right before he gets a minor injury and starts jaking it again.
    Posted by massillon8[/QUOTE]

Ill make a note of that...idiot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Red Sox fan but Ellsbury jakes it and when his swing starts to get long he slumps, it might seem like a kumba ya moment for all of you as he has been playing well, but don't worry he will be back to over swinging and making the dumbest of plays right before he gets a minor injury and starts jaking it again.

I take it you don't like Ellsbury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

So Southpaw 777 feels the need to call people idiots just because they don't agree with his opinion.  Sorry Southpaw but just because Ellsbury is having a good little run we are all supposed to just forget a players weaknesses.  And when we don't you feel its ok to call somebody an idiot?  So does that mean that half the Red Sox organization and half the fans are idiots because they don't agree with your little man crush on a guy who is having a good couple of weeks?  You are going to make note of that?  Huh ? Southpaw you do yourself a favor, lift that pink hat a little higher and actually watch the games, when somebody has an opinion that is different then yours, stating why you think that person is wrong with facts or other information would be more useful then running around calling people idiots.  Trust me, you would get a lot futher in life.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Not that I don't like Ellsbury, but I think he is brittle ( See Eric Chavez), there is a reason guys get hurt and stay hurt.  They at some point decide it is not in their best interests to perform or try and play hurt.  You look at Pedroia, when he got hurt it was all Francona could do to keep him out of the lineup.  The term I used was "Jaking it"  for all of you that want talk about MRI's or X-Rays, not faking it.  Nobody doubts Ellsbury had an injury ( except for half the fans and the Sox organization), but when a guy wants to sit down as willingly as Ellsbury did last year that kind of tells you all you need to know about that player. A lot of his teamates felt that way by their comments to the media.  Sorry Red Sox fan but just because a guy goes on a little hitting streak doesn't mean he is the next great thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I think that Ells is an ideal lead off hitter, most steals in the majors, and effective in CF too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

People who get Ellsbury about being soft are IDIOTS.  There is NO DOUBT.  No difference of opinion here.  They are just plain STUPID.

What are you basing this opinion on?  One injury?  People who are soft, get hurt often and goes on the DL a few times a year.  Althouh I like Drew, I would understand him being called "soft".  But, Ellsbury?  Because of 1 injury?

His prior 2 years he has had 624 and 554 AB's.  Played practically every game for 2 years staright, and doing so again this year.  Yet you call him soft?

I am also not going to back through all of the posts again (thank goodness, because I don't have my vomit bag with me that I need after reading half of the posts here).  But, the jerks that said about this "current nice little run", and slump back down with his "long swing".  He had 2 full years of good baseball and now this year too.  Batted .280 and .300.  Had 50 and 70 SB's.  Has played very good to great defense.  What is your problem?  Ellsbury has proven to hit like this for 2 years, yet call it a little hot streak right now.  What you are watching is what he has been.

Everything that I have given here is FACT.  The ONE opinion some of you have on the rib injury is just ASSUMPTION.  Quit making yourselves look stupid and just admit that he is a very good player who happen to have one bad injury last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

people have a right to their opinion, and they also have the right to change their opinions about people.

My opinion is this, if you are suprised by what Ellsbury is doing this season....your an idiot. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Not that I don't like Ellsbury, but I think he is brittle ( See Eric Chavez), there is a reason guys get hurt and stay hurt.  They at some point decide it is not in their best interests to perform or try and play hurt.  You look at Pedroia, when he got hurt it was all Francona could do to keep him out of the lineup.  The term I used was "Jaking it"  for all of you that want talk about MRI's or X-Rays, not faking it.  Nobody doubts Ellsbury had an injury ( except for half the fans and the Sox organization), but when a guy wants to sit down as willingly as Ellsbury did last year that kind of tells you all you need to know about that player. A lot of his teamates felt that way by their comments to the media.  Sorry Red Sox fan but just because a guy goes on a little hitting streak doesn't mean he is the next great thing.

well, which is it?  Soft or Brittle?  Brittle implies someone is prone to injury.  Soft implies someone may be unwilling to play with pain.  Your arguement really is Ellsbury is the latter, not the former.  Hard to make a case for brittle.  never had a serious injury other than broken ribs suffered from crashing full speed into a mack truck disguised as a third baseman.  You could make the case that he is soft of course.  but, you still only have the rib situation to make your case.  I think the verdict might still be out, no?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Wow, Red Sox fan gnarling their teeth over a second rate outfielder who is off to a good start.  When he gets hurt again Red Sox fan or he doesn't live up to the hyperbole that you have bestowed upon him, I reserve the right to say I told you so.  Seems to me one could go back quite a few times in recent years to see the Red Sox fandom looking for any glimmer of hope on quite a number of players.  The most pathetic display being that of Dice K after a good start here or there.  Red Sox fan was usually ready to proclaim him a future HOFer.  And Second in that same area would be JD Drew, after a particular good day or decent stretch, Red Sox fan would be lighting up the board proclaiming his greatness.  Never mentioning the fact that the two players cost $178 Million.  We could go on and on Lugo, Scutaro, Lackey.  My money is on Ellsbury being a let down and soft and brittle.  Based on the track record, I like my chances. But don't worry Red Sox fan after 2 months of playing well, I sure Cooperstown will be calling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ells deserves the benefit of the doubt, the guy has talent, and he probably knows his play this year can help to restore his reputation because clearly it has taken a hit.  I think taking the guy at his word that he was hurt is not an unreasonable thing to do despite the havering of negative fans who jumped all over him for faking injuries without a clue of his medical diagnosis.  After he was "called out" by his teammates there was a lot of piling on around here, myself included somewhat, but I've changed my tune.  I'm taking him at his word after breaking a rib of my own, and now it's up to him to prove to everyone the type of player he is and put last season behind him   

My point about his injury is that until you've had broken ribs, you might want to refrain from calling someone soft because he can't play through the pain.  And brittle is a bit of a stretch as well since ribs aren't hard to break, especially when being demolished by a 3rd baseman running amok.  For my part, I couldn't even sit up, sleep or tie my shoes let alone dive for a ball or swing a bat.  A sneeze felt like knives being plunged into my side.  And that was with pain killers.  So Ells gets my empathy.     

He is a nice player, no one said he is an all-world player.  Some of you should separate your dislike of the guy because of the soft tag you've chosen to give him and let the season play out.  It's a new year, a clean slate, and he's doing pretty well.  If you're waiting for his eventual fall, if indeed that happens, I'd say you have an agenda and a need to hate someone for no reason at all. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, Red Sox fan gnarling their teeth over a second rate outfielder who is off to a good start.  When he gets hurt again Red Sox fan or he doesn't live up to the hyperbole that you have bestowed upon him, I reserve the right to say I told you so.  Seems to me one could go back quite a few times in recent years to see the Red Sox fandom looking for any glimmer of hope on quite a number of players.  The most pathetic display being that of Dice K after a good start here or there.  Red Sox fan was usually ready to proclaim him a future HOFer.  And Second in that same area would be JD Drew, after a particular good day or decent stretch, Red Sox fan would be lighting up the board proclaiming his greatness.  Never mentioning the fact that the two players cost $178 Million.  We could go on and on Lugo, Scutaro, Lackey.  My money is on Ellsbury being a let down and soft and brittle.  Based on the track record, I like my chances. But don't worry Red Sox fan after 2 months of playing well, I sure Cooperstown will be calling.

well thats all well and good Massy(grammar aside).  But, seriously, as far as sox fans go, YOU S**K!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How can you even compare Ells to Dice-K. It's also not as if Ellsbury only had ONE good season.  He came up at the end of 2007 and played at an allstar level.  2008 he took over the starting job in CF and played great, in 2009 he had an even better season and now in 2011 he is starting off having an even BETTER season at still the young age of 27!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do you have to go on to suggest that Ellsbury will "regress" a 85 at bat (ballpark number) sample size of a slow start in 2010? sorry that's not even close to enough to make an argument.  Ellsbury has gotten better in every full season of play and like I said he's still only 27.  Dice-k had ONE good year, and it wasn't that great and he was still a nerve-wrecking walk machine. 

Jacoby is not soft...he broke his ribs, it's hard to dive head first and twist your spine with broken ribs...actually it's hard to breath and sleep with broken ribs, try it sometime and see how you perform. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" When he gets hurt again Red Sox fan or he doesn't live up to the hyperbole that you have bestowed upon him, I reserve the right to say I told you so."

Fair enough, but if Ellsbury strings together a couple of great seasons here, will you be willing to admit you are an idiot? And that you trashed a guy prematurely for your own reasons? 

(By the way, I didn't see much hyperbole on this thread, just stats saying how well he has done so far). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

June 1

v. LHP in 2011 .........................

Sections
Shortcuts