Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year

Here's a link to a pretty good article written by Jackie MacMullen about Jacoby Ellsbury's injury and Youk's comments about it:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6845968/jacoby-ellsbury-gained-pain-lost-2010-season

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year

"Cam was a really good center fielder," Francona explained. "Cam's long strides and the fact he hadn't played left, and the fact that Cam's arm was stronger, it just made sense. We were trying to put our best defensive lineup out there. We told Jacoby it wouldn't be forever, but for a year we were going to do this. I don't think he was thrilled, which I could understand."

Boy, this really makes me mad about last year. The sparse results from Cam, who I know had a bad injury as well, just made it worse. I still say, there was no reason to move Ellsbury in the first place because there was no need to sign Mike Cameron. The Sox over-thought the bridge year. But if it motivated Ellsbury to do the things he is doing now, then go with it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Guy is an up and coming CF. If the Sox plan was to have him play CF, then let him play CF. It's called experience, you gain the experience by playing the position your team is priming you to play. Ellsbury was primed to play CF. Who moves a guy for a 1-year experiment...dumb

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Fascinating article by Jackie McMullen.  Thanks.

Sure looks like the Sox medical staff blew it and made little effort to diagnose him properly or even give him sound, conservative medical advice.  Little wonder he fled west to Arizona.  Youk can say whatever he wants now, but last year he was calling Ellsbury out and at the same time giving him bad advice.  Nothing wrong with Youk wondering why Ellsbury was out west, the mistake was going public and very vocal with it.  

What's missing in the article is any insight into whether Ellsbury feels comfortable with these guys after last year.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Everyone jumped on Manny when he got in Youks face one game when Youks was out of control in the dugout. No one touches Youks when it comes to his temper. He has a terrible temper, and he shows up umpires left and right. He has a Paul O'Neill complex. He also can make dumb remarks, like he did about Ellsbury. I think Kevin is a helluva player, but he's got his faults too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Great article. Read all of it. Thanks for posting it. Bookmarked it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year:
    Everyone jumped on Manny when he got in Youks face one game when Youks was out of control in the dugout. No one touches Youks when it comes to his temper. He has a terrible temper, and he shows up umpires left and right. He has a Paul O'Neill complex. He also can make dumb remarks, like he did about Ellsbury. I think Kevin is a helluva player, but he's got his faults too.
    Posted by dannycater

I forgot all that, but you're right.  Definitely hyper, which also means he busts his buns on every play.  Definitely not the guy to act as the players spokesman. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The funny part about the Youks-Manny run-in was it was actually used as a negative to Manny as part of his erratic behavior. I don't have all the details from it, but all things point to it actually being Manny trying to tell Youkilis to quit acting like a maniac because an at bat didn't go his way. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Max Bialystock is a fictional character in Mel Brooks' 1968 movie, The Producers, played by Zero Mostel. The character returned in the 2001 Broadway musical of the same name, and also in a 2005 Hollywood movie, which was based on the musical. Both times he was played by Nathan Lane. Max's office building, at least in the 2005 film, is located across the street from Sardi's, which is located at 234 West 44th Street in Manhattan (though in the film Sardi's is incorrectly shown to be located at 236).

Personality

Max Bialystock is described as selfish and greedy - a man who is only interested in making money. Though this is later proven untrue, Max's fiery and sarcastic nature can be very intimidating. He is willing to do anything to make money (including "shtupping every little old lady in New York") and is often angry, short-tempered and unwilling to cooperate nicely. His name is taken from the Polish city of Bialystok.

''Curb Your Enthusiasm'' & ''The Producers''

In the fourth season of the HBO show Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David is asked to take on the role of Max Bialystock when The Producers makes its Broadway Run. He is originally paired with Ben Stiller, who is soon replaced by David Schwimmer. Mel Brooks jokes that they can save space on the marquee by just placing "Larry David Schwimmer" on the lights.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

a good read Mojo, thanks.

so, as Max has asked, one big happy family now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Youk was correct on Bellsbury. Not a fault. Ellsbury indicting management and tanking after return from API is a fault.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year:
    Here's a link to a pretty good article written by Jackie MacMullen about Jacoby Ellsbury's injury and Youk's comments about it:   http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6845968/jacoby-ellsbury-gained-pain-lost-2010-season
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Great article and I couldn't agree more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Great article

2010 is water under the bridge

the man was seriously hurt. Anyone who pointed fingers at him or called him soft or selfish was, beyond just being wrong, scummy and ignorant. It is now pointless to point fingers at medical staff or management as it was over a year ago, the team is in 1st place and Ells is a superstar in the game. The real fans have moved on.

This is his 3rd season, age 27, and he is an all-star and MVP candidate

Way to go Jacoby!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Youk was correct on Bellsbury. Not a fault. Ellsbury indicting management and tanking after return from API is a fault.
    Posted by softylaw

Ellsbury indicting management, only if indirectly, would now seem to have been justified.  As for tanking after API, that's just plain silly.  All ballplayers want to play.  Some of us wish Pedroia had followed Ellsbury's lead last year and stayed away from Fenway.  He tried to come back too soon.  Cameron playing through the sports hernia was also a mistake.  He should have gotten fixed as soon as it was diagnosed.  This year, it is worth noting, the Sox have been very cautious with all injuries.  Best example:  getting an extra opinion and MRI on Pedroia's knee to reassure he can't make it worse by playing.  Note, too, that Buchholz went to the West Coast to reconfirm the Sox diagnosis on his back.  And so on and so on.

While I'm a little torqued at the Sox medicos, I do recognize that medicine is both a science and an art.  I trust doctors, but recognize they are fallible. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great article 2010 is water under the bridge the man was seriously hurt. Anyone who pointed fingers at him or called him so was, beyond just being wrong, scummy and ignorant. It is now pointless to point fingers at medical staff or management as it was over a year ago, the team is in 1st place and Ells is a superstar in the game. This is his 3rd season, age 27, and he is an all-star and MVP candidate Way to go Jacoby!
    Posted by rameakap

rameakap, I am chagrinned to say I agree with you.  Water under the bridge, and the sooner the better. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The funny part about the Youks-Manny run-in was it was actually used as a negative to Manny as part of his erratic behavior. I don't have all the details from it, but all things point to it actually being Manny trying to tell Youkilis to quit acting like a maniac because an at bat didn't go his way. 
    Posted by dannycater
    Initially the story was spun as boys will be boys and that Manny simply got vocal about something that a lot of teammates felt was awkward, which was Youk's temper tantrums after a bad AB.

It was only in the face of a series of events that the dust up in the dugout from the historically amicable Ramirez became a dot connected in that events that led to his being traded.

I personally used stick up for Manny, over Enrique-gate and whole lot of other stuff. I thought Epstein's decision to put him on irrevocable waivers after 2003 to show him and his agent that he wasn't tradeable while effective was a harsh thing to do to a proud athlete.

But I can find no defense for Manny's final months in Boston. And further his career thereafter makes it hard to lament that trade (two PED busts, dogging the Dodgers in the late summer of 2010).

As special as much of Manny's career was in Boston, his last act was that bad and his departure in hindsight was no great loss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

five, hard for me to defend Manny's actions at the end and post-Boston. However, Youkilis seems to get a free pass on anything he does. It reminds me of Trot Nixon's famous flingling of the beer sitting on the RF foul pole fence. Absolute sign of childishness by Trot that no one reported on. It was shown once. Manny's famous not running out a ball tapped to the pitcher was shown by ESPN 7,000 times and fans wanted him suspended and columnists wanted him fined for showing up the game. Trot and Youks...free passes for pretty much their whole careers. Dirt dogs, they are. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Personally, I would have gotten in Youks face for some of his antics as well. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year : Ellsbury indicting management, only if indirectly, would now seem to have been justified.  As for tanking after API, that's just plain silly.  All ballplayers want to play.  Some of us wish Pedroia had followed Ellsbury's lead last year and stayed away from Fenway.  He tried to come back too soon.  Cameron playing through the sports hernia was also a mistake.  He should have gotten fixed as soon as it was diagnosed.  This year, it is worth noting, the Sox have been very cautious with all injuries.  Best example:  getting an extra opinion and MRI on Pedroia's knee to reassure he can't make it worse by playing.  Note, too, that Buchholz went to the West Coast to reconfirm the Sox diagnosis on his back.  And so on and so on. While I'm a little torqued at the Sox medicos, I do recognize that medicine is both a science and an art.  I trust doctors, but recognize they are fallible. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Exactly

Ellsbury's situation last year was no fault of the player and has dirctly led to changes for the better among the medical staff and team management that can only help us moving forward.

Glad you agree, water under the bridge, player is a stud and an all-star

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomtruth. Show tomtruth's posts

Fascinating article by Jackie McMullen.  Thanks. Sure looks like the Sox medical staff blew it and made little effort to diagnose him properly or even give him sound, conservative medical advice.  Little wonder he fled west to Arizona.  Youk can say whatever he wants now, but last year he was calling Ellsbury out and at the same time giving him bad advice.  Nothing wrong with Youk wondering why Ellsbury was out west, the mistake was going public and very vocal with it.   What's missing in the article is any insight into whether Ellsbury feels comfortable with these guys after last year.   
    Posted by maxbialystock

Right on Jackie and Max. Since the radio guys need to sell advertising, they need to stir up the dust a little, kind of like the rush limburgers of sports. The guy was courageous to try to play too soon with cracked ribs, but then landed badly, and was out for the season. We will be lucky to re-sign him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softybabe. Show softybabe's posts

I'll take Ellsbury's 18 games with injury over his performance this year as a judge of charactor any day.  smellsbury and boris will find something to cry over soon enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I think that the forum has about five posters trying to be Softlaw. They are all equally foolish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Posted by dannycater

danny, I agree regarding youks antics, but if I remember correctly, Manny later admitted it was his fault and apologized

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'll take Ellsbury's 18 games with injury over his performance this year as a judge of charactor any day.  smellsbury and boris will find something to cry over soon enough.
    Posted by softybabe

That's fine with me because your threads and comments on this board have established pretty firmly you are no judge of character. 

Besides, this isn't an issue about character.  A player and his agent were trying to protect his livelihood against what proved to be an incomplete or incorrect diagnosis.  That's just common sense. 

Forget baseball.  Imagine a patient with signficant pain who goes to a doctor, who says it's just a bruise.  When the pains continue, are you saying it is lack of character that makes a patient seek a second opinion or, heaven forbid, and MRI?  And suppose that bruise and that pain prevent that patient from going to work? 

While it's possible said patient is a malingerer, the proof is in the pudding.  And in the actual case of Jacoby Ellsbury, MRI's showed not one or even four but five broken ribs.  Case closed.  Jake and his agent made all the right moves.  Too bad Pedroia's agent wasn't looking out for him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury speaks about his injury last year : danny, I agree regarding youks antics, but if I remember correctly, Manny later admitted it was his fault and apologized
    Posted by J-BAY

J, you are right, but I believe it may have been done as a PR move for Manny. I do think Youks has a temper problem though that no one seems to bring up. I think he hurts himself at the plate (more lately) by rolling his eyes a lot at pitch calls by umps. And I do think he is media-free of any criticism. People love Youkilis, the fans love him, the media loves him. I get it, I do, but some other guys get a lot of hell for their actions and he should also brunt some blame when he speaks or when he acts. It's always the other person's fault apparently with him. 

Sections
Shortcuts