Ellsbury straightup for Cliff Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhataMaroon. Show WhataMaroon's posts

Ellsbury straightup for Cliff Lee

Phillies need a centerfielder. Upton and Span are off the board, Pagan is likely to resign w/ SF, and the talk is that they'll go hard after Bourn.

But .... if that scenario does not play out for them .... an Ellsbury for Cliff Lee deal would appeal to me. We put him at the front of our rotation and the rest of our starters all slot in behind him (where they belong, we currently don't have a true #1 starter).

Cliff Lee finished 2012 with a 6-9 record, a 3.16 ERA, a 1.11 WHIP and 207 strikeouts in 211 innings. He gt pretty bad run support from what I gather.

2013: $25 million, 2014: $25 million, 2015: $25 million, 2016: $27.5 million club option ($12.5 million buyout).

He's expensive ... and makes our current outfield situation more challenging than it already is. But we'll have one heck of a pitching staff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Ellsbury straightup for Cliff Lee

I sugeested that a while back, now there are two lone voices in the wilderness.

Like you said, it doesn't work on a lot of levels, but I really like Lee, and right now, he is a heck of a lot better than the alternatives.  $25M brings tears to my eyes, but it's not likw Greinke and Sanchez aren't going to cost an arm and a leg.

IRT OF, I'd bring in Victorino as his replacement, and shift him to RF next year when LBL arrives.  In the 6 years prior to 2012, he had a .348 OBP with ~26/6 SB/CS, which could replace Ells at the top.  You'd have him at age 32-34, which isn't terrible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

How old is he? Because we should be building for 2014+ and to have a 34 year old pitcher in 2013 going 10-13 because our offense blows really does not help much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Meanwhile joe is advising we bring in old Phillies players so we can replicate Philadelphias 2011 season (an improvment over our 2011 season)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No thank you to Cliff Lee.  $25 million a year for a 35-year-old pitcher (although he is a very good pitcher) should not be part of Boston's plans. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I was throwing this around a while back, too.

The Phillies apparently have no intention of moving Lee, but they should LEAP at this deal.  They still have Halladay and Hamels atop the rotation, and as of today, their OF is Domonic Brown, John Mayberry and Darin Ruf, which makes the Sox outfield look like Ruth-Aaron-Mays in comparison. Not to mention getting out of that ridiculous contract.  Who gives a $12.5mill buyout? Really? (Although it certainly assures he will reject a qualifying offer, so there is that.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i would only do lee for ellsbury if either philly pays some of lee's salary or they toss in some better prospects.

lee is good, but too old for the red sox to take on all that salary for the next 4 years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Meanwhile joe is advising we bring in old Phillies players so we can replicate Philadelphias 2011 season (an improvment over our 2011 season)

Well, a lot of people were upset we did not bring in those Marlins players.  Did we want to replicate that 2011 season instead?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe an Ellsbury & Lackey for Lee deal might help even up the money part and open a roster spot for a FA.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I sugeested that a while back, now there are two lone voices in the wilderness. JB

I was throwing this around a while back, too. NI

Maybe an Ellsbury & Lackey for Lee deal might help even up the money part and open a roster spot for a FA. MS

I'd never heard this suggested before and I'm intrigued.  FWIW, I vote aye.  Lackey along for the ride would be like jimmies.  Guess this wilderness is not so lonely anymore.  May not even be a wilderness.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A couple months ago I suggested a Doubront for Lee trade with the Phills eating some of the contract for another solid young cost controlled LHP.

If they get a player like Doubie they will be more likely to eat some cash. It wouldnt solve our pitching problems as we would have to still find a #5. we could get Lee at around 20M per even in the option year.

Not saying Id def do this, just a possible trade scenario.

Sections
Shortcuts