Ellsbury - The Market

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Ellsbury - The Market

Many feel the Sox will deal Ellbury this offseason.  And they might.

But for who?  Sure, the Sox need a SP, but who will deal one for a single year of Ellsbury.  Given that he is a free agent after 2013 and represented by Scott Boras (and everyone knows what that means), his appeal will be limited to teams hoping to contend, also known as teams not dealing starting pitching.

Also, this might be the wrong year to deal a CF.  The FA market OF talent pretty much all plays CF, with Hamilton, Bourn, Upton, Victorino, Ichiro, Pagan and even Melky available.   Why surrender talent?

So what are the epxectations if Ellsbury is dealt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Ellsbury - The Market

In response to notin's comment:

But for who?  Sure, the Sox need a SP, but who will deal one for a single year of Ellsbury.  Given that he is a free agent after 2013 and represented by Scott Boras (and everyone knows what that means), his appeal will be limited to teams hoping to contend, also known as teams not dealing starting pitching.

Also, this might be the wrong year to deal a CF.  The FA market OF talent pretty much all plays CF, with Hamilton, Bourn, Upton, Victorino, Ichiro, Pagan and even Melky available.   Why surrender talent?

I'm guessing they don't move him, unless they get an "overpay," and I just don't see it.  As you mentioned, there are plenty of free agent centerfielders, he's not going to agree to a sign and trade and he'll likely go to the highest bidder after next year.  He's also been injury prone (kind of flukey), so I'm not sure what kind of value he will have.

I think the Sox would be more than happy to hope he has a big year next year and gladly let him walk, take the draft pick and hope Bradley or Kalish is ready in 2014.  If they plan on contending next year, they are likely better off keeping him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I'm guessing they don't move him, unless they get an "overpay," and I just don't see it.  As you mentioned, there are plenty of free agent centerfielders, he's not going to agree to a sign and trade and he'll likely go to the highest bidder after next year.  He's also been injury prone (kind of flukey), so I'm not sure what kind of value he will have.

I think the Sox would be more than happy to hope he has a big year next year and gladly let him walk, take the draft pick and hope Bradley or Kalish is ready in 2014.  If they plan on contending next year, they are likely better off keeping him. 

Jasko, Notin's right!!!  We are stuck between a rock and hard place concerning Ellsbury.  No team unless they are in need of a CF and have excess starting pitching of a high quality will want to trade for a guy who will walk after 2013, and with Boras as agent any team that tries to keep him after one year will have to ante up the big boodle of cash.  I just don't see it unless we trade him for just average pitching and what good does that does us?  I wonder if Ells would just tell Boras he wants to stay with the Sox and to get a new deal done.  I doubt that will happen, but consider that there are going to be a lot of CF's available this winter and most are not as injury prone as Jacoby has been, and I don't think any of them are represented by Boras.

Looks like a bad scene from where I sit.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Jasko, Notin's right!!!  We are stuck between a rock and hard place concerning Ellsbury.  No team unless they are in need of a CF and have excess starting pitching of a high quality will want to trade for a guy who will walk after 2013, and with Boras as agent any team that tries to keep him after one year will have to ante up the big boodle of cash.  I just don't see it unless we trade him for just average pitching and what good does that does us?  I wonder if Ells would just tell Boras he wants to stay with the Sox and to get a new deal done.  I doubt that will happen, but consider that there are going to be a lot of CF's available this winter and most are not as injury prone as Jacoby has been, and I don't think any of them are represented by Boras.

Looks like a bad scene from where I sit.

Why is it a "bad scene?" Having a fairly young centerfielder one year removed from an MVP caliber season playing for a contract next year isn't such a bad thing. 
    By the way, Ellsbury is not bringing back a "high quality" starting pitcher, so they might as well keep him, unless, again, a team overpays for some strange reason and offers some quality prospects. 

They aren't going to field a team of "kids" next year along with some retreads.  They have the nucleus to be competitive and they may "overpay" on some short term deals for a Jake Peavy type, because thanks to the Dodgers, they now have all of the flexibility in the world. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If we threw in one of our own prospects to get a better return, the deal could get done. Maybe these teams looking for OF help are willing to go one year on Jacoby for around 10mm in the hopes he performs well in his walk year and test the market after the 2013 season. They'll also get the compensation along with another prospect from the Sox. Hamilton, Bourn, Victorino are going to cost years and $$. Theres a few good names in next years FA list who are still in their 20's. Whats not to like? A team like Oakland or Tampa could even pull that deal off for 1 year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

"He's also been injury prone (kind of flukey), so I'm not sure what kind of value he will have".

[/QUOTE]

Jasko I hate to pick on you but you're another fan who is misinformed. Where do you get off saying Ells is injury prone. He was run over by a teamate causing his first injury and this year a 250lb relief pitcher fell on his shoulder so both are freak injuries not caused by Ells. This is not anybodies normal definition of injury prone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If we threw in one of our own prospects to get a better return, the deal could get done. Maybe these teams looking for OF help are willing to go one year on Jacoby for around 10mm in the hopes he performs well in his walk year and test the market after the 2013 season. They'll also get the compensation along with another prospect from the Sox. Hamilton, Bourn, Victorino are going to cost years and $$. Theres a few good names in next years FA list who are still in their 20's. Whats not to like? A team like Oakland or Tampa could even pull that deal off for 1 year.

Southpaw, 

I don't see Ells going in trade. I see the Red Sox signing him for a raise but not the huge increase some may think despite being a client of Boras. I'm not sure what the perception around MLB of Ellsbury is but unfortunately has lost major portions of two out of the last three seasons due to injuries through no fault of his own.

Many teams may see him as injury prone, which I don't agree with, but that may be the perception of some. 2011 was a great season but after coming back from injury this year Ells never looked like the same player from last year so how many teams are going to pass out a long term contract for big bucks based on this past season. Only time will tell but I don't see it happening. 

In the same light I don't view Ellsbury as great trade bait for a front line pitcher or hot prospects for the same reasons. If I were Ellsbury I'd not look for an extension from the Sox right away, hopefully have another big season like 2011 and hit the free agent market after 2013 with a higher value. If I were the Sox looking to move Ells I wouldn't trade him this off season because his value is low. I'd wait till next season, hoping he gets off to a great season and look to trade him mid-season. 

Personally I hope the Sox pay and keep him !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Southpaw, 

I don't see Ells going in trade. I see the Red Sox signing him for a raise but not the huge increase some may think despite being a client of Boras. I'm not sure what the perception around MLB of Ellsbury is but unfortunately has lost major portions of two out of the last three seasons due to injuries through no fault of his own.

Many teams may see him as injury prone, which I don't agree with, but that may be the perception of some. 2011 was a great season but after coming back from injury this year Ells never looked like the same player from last year so how many teams are going to pass out a long term contract for big bucks based on this past season. Only time will tell but I don't see it happening. 

In the same light I don't view Ellsbury as great trade bait for a front line pitcher or hot prospects for the same reasons. If I were Ellsbury I'd not look for an extension from the Sox right away, hopefully have another big season like 2011 and hit the free agent market after 2013 with a higher value. If I were the Sox looking to move Ells I wouldn't trade him this off season because his value is low. I'd wait till next season, hoping he gets off to a great season and look to trade him mid-season. 

Personally I hope the Sox pay and keep him !!

Hey Hetch, Howve ya been?

Personally, I agree with you in keeping him. I was just stating that I also believe there is a market for him and if the Sox were to go that route they wouldnt need to toss in another prospect to get back any kind of solid return.

I think the Sox make him a reasonable offer this off season that would set him and his family up for life and not break the bank. Somewhere in the 14-16mm range for 5-6yrs would be fair IMO. he'd be set up until he was 35-36. Weaver just went against Boras with Anehiem and signed, IMO, a very reasonable deal. Maybe Ells, after to major injuries, will consider that alternative too. Boras wont be happy, but its not his decision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Ellsbury can be traded for at least three good prospects who then can be traded for a starting pitcher.

Ellsbury has more value now than he will during 2013 unless he returns to his 2011 form in th efirst half of next season and then gets traded at the deadline.  If he has a so-so season he will not bring back much of anything at the deadline and is also not going to bring a draft pick in 2014 if he stays with the Sox all season in 2013. 

I would not guess that he returns to his 2011 form as that season was so far from ALL of his other years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I doubt Boras will allow his client, Ellsbury to get traded.  If he does get traded, then that team will give him a very nice extension (many years and a lot of $$$).  

Scott Boras is more powerful than the United Nations.  LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Ellsbury can be traded for at least three good prospects who then can be traded for a starting pitcher.

Ellsbury has more value now than he will during 2013 unless he returns to his 2011 form in th efirst half of next season and then gets traded at the deadline.  If he has a so-so season he will not bring back much of anything at the deadline and is also not going to bring a draft pick in 2014 if he stays with the Sox all season in 2013. 

I would not guess that he returns to his 2011 form as that season was so far from ALL of his other years.

Why would a team trade "at least three good prospects" for Jacoby Ellsbury when the team could sign one of the free agent centerfielders without surrendering a prospect? Ellsbury has limited trade value.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I doubt Boras will allow his client, Ellsbury to get traded.  If he does get traded, then that team will give him a very nice extension (many years and a lot of $$$).  

Scott Boras is more powerful than the United Nations.  LOL

Ellsbury is under team control. Boras has no say in the matter of trades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury's only longterm value to us is the draft pick we will almost certainy get after he walks following the 2013 season. I think it is nearly a 99% chance he goes somewhere else if allowed to become a free agent. The reasons are numerous.

That value of the draft pick is also transferable to a team trading for Ellsbury as long as the trade comes before the start of the 2013 season. Trading him afterwards loses that value and would lessen what we could get in return if we wait.

I am of the opinion that it will be nearly impossible for us to seriously compete for a championship in 2013, so it basically comes down to this: what is worth more for 2014 and beyong?

A) The draft choice we get when Ellsbury refuses our qualifying offer and signs elsewhere.

OR

B) The player(s) and/or prospect(s) we can get in return for Ellsbury via trade this winter or early spring.

I think the answer is clearly "B". We should not just give Jacoby away, but I do feel we can packagae him with other players and/or prosects to get a key player under team control for 3+ years. Teams looking to contend in 2013 are the most likely targets, but some non-contending teams might also value that draft pick enough to trade away a talented player with more than one year of control who, perhaps, is paiod more than Ellsbury or has baloon payments on the horizion.

We must seriously try to get the best deal we can for Ellsbury, and if it is to a contending team, we have several other players who will be FAs after 2013 or 2014 that we could package together that could greatly help a team with a few high need areas that we could fill for them. In return, we could get a top prospect or young ML ready player at a psoition the team we are trading with has an excess.

Possible package players:

Aviles (FA after 2014): He is better than some current team SSs or could be a 2Bman, 3Bman, or a fine utility player.

Salty (FA after 2013): We could gamble on Lava and trade Salty to a team that is in great need of offense or who has weak catching now (there are many teams).

Breslow (FA after 2013): Fine LHPs are not easy to find or trade for.

Sweeney (FA after 2013): Nice fielding OF'er who does Ok vs RHPs.

Rich Hill (FA after 2013): Low value player, but could tip the balance on a package deal.

Bailey and Aceves (FA after 2014): Both have good value for the right club.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But the biggest problem is that which team is willing to give up their best or second best starting pitcher?  Pitching are so hard to find in nowadays!!  Half of the top 25 2012 best MLB pitchers are all under the age of 30 years old.  They are going to be too stupid to give him up. Heck no way that Seattle will give up Felix.  Heck no way that Reds will give up Cueto.  Heck no way that Rays will give up Price.  Heck no way that White Sox will give up Sale....etc!!  And the worst part is that all of these young pitchers have been helping the team to have a good year!!!

That is the problem.  Boston is more likely to get a pitcher who is probably bit over-paid or a middle of the rotation pitcher.  If Boston wanted a top notch starting pitcher, they may have to part away Ellsbury along with Bogaret, Lavarnway, etc

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But the biggest problem is that which team is willing to give up their best or second best starting pitcher?  Pitching are so hard to find in nowadays!!  Half of the top 25 2012 best MLB pitchers are all under the age of 30 years old.  They are going to be too stupid to give him up. Heck no way that Seattle will give up Felix.  Heck no way that Reds will give up Cueto.  Heck no way that Rays will give up Price.  Heck no way that White Sox will give up Sale....etc!!  And the worst part is that all of these young pitchers have been helping the team to have a good year!!!

That is the problem.  Boston is more likely to get a pitcher who is probably bit over-paid or a middle of the rotation pitcher.  If Boston wanted a top notch starting pitcher, they may have to part away Ellsbury along with Bogaret, Lavarnway, etc

You are right, no way Ellsbury alone nets us a Cuetto, Price or Sale. However, maybe an Ellsbury Lavarnway, Aviles and Breslow could net us a Shields or Brett Anderson type.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

You won't get 3 good prospects. Prob 2 b level guys with upside

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

You won't get 3 good prospects. Prob 2 b level guys with upside

Have you seen what some marginal players get in return at the trade deadline? I think Ellsbury would get us much more than 2- B Level prospects. I'm thinking he could bring us an very good A level prospect or a low A and a top B at worst.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Ice, 

Not meaning to be mean but if you think Boras has any control over whether Sox trade Ellsbury you're clearly delusional. He's an agent, nothing more, nothing less and wields no influence over the Sox front office. 

Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

"He's also been injury prone (kind of flukey), so I'm not sure what kind of value he will have".

Jasko I hate to pick on you but you're another fan who is misinformed. Where do you get off saying Ells is injury prone. He was run over by a teamate causing his first injury and this year a 250lb relief pitcher fell on his shoulder so both are freak injuries not caused by Ells. This is not anybodies normal definition of injury prone. 

Hetchinspete,

I'm well aware of how he got injured each time.  I clearly mentioned that his injuries were "kind of flukey," but the fact is, there are questions out there about his durability, whether they are legitimate or not is not for me to decide.  I also menitoned that I think they are better off keeping him, because I don't see them getting better value in return, as many have stated on here. They might be better off with a full season of him in '13 and a compensatory pick, if he signs elsewhwere, which is obviously very likely...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I

[/QUOTE]

Hey Hetch, Howve ya been?

Personally, I agree with you in keeping him. I was just stating that I also believe there is a market for him and if the Sox were to go that route they wouldnt need to toss in another prospect to get back any kind of solid return.

I think the Sox make him a reasonable offer this off season that would set him and his family up for life and not break the bank. Somewhere in the 14-16mm range for 5-6yrs would be fair IMO. he'd be set up until he was 35-36. Weaver just went against Boras with Anehiem and signed, IMO, a very reasonable deal. Maybe Ells, after to major injuries, will consider that alternative too. Boras wont be happy, but its not his decision.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Southpaw. I'm doing well, how bout you. 

My only thoughts again are that I think Boras and many fans over rate Ellsbury's value as of today. He obviously had a great 2011 but 2012 with another freak injury and only fair season to me lessens his trade value. As unfair as it might be other teams might view him as injury prone despite the actual nature of both injuries, but he also seems to be a very slow healer. If the Sox intend to trade him they would be wise to hold onto him well into 2013 hoping he has another breakout year raising his trade value and trade in July or August when playoff bound teams are hungry for that added player and might overpay in value to get him. Also as Notin mentioned, if there is a glut of center fielders available right now this doesn't help Ells trade value. 

As much as I hate to admit this the Sox are three to four years away from being a playoff team. I would hope they would learn from Tampa Bay and build this team from within thier own system and forget competing with the Yankees for big market players with bloated salaries. Forget Farrel and bring in Dave Martinez to manage from Tampa Bay if he's available and build this team properly.

Cheers, Hetch 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You are right, no way Ellsbury alone nets us a Cuetto, Price or Sale. However, maybe an Ellsbury Lavarnway, Aviles and Breslow could net us a Shields or Brett Anderson type.

Moon, why would Tampa take on more salary in a Shields trade, when the reason they would need to trade him is to shed salary?  If they trade Shields, it's going to be for at least 3 high end prospects, not an expensive, soon to be free agent outfielder, a catching prospect who certainly isn't "can't miss," a utility infielder and a middle reliever?  On top of that, the only way they would ever trade Shields within that division is if they were blown away by a deal, which obviously puts the Sox in a bad position.  Cueto and Sale aren't going anywhere, and there is no shot of Tampa trading Price within the division... 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

There is no need to trade him at the low point of his market value. He's in a contract year and he's a Boras client. What does that mean? He'll probably have a great year. Assuming Jackie Bradley, Jr. progresses in 2013, find some team at the trading deadline to take Ellsbury as a rental.

Think about other Boras clients during their contract year, they all perform. J.D. Drew is a key example.

Since the Red Sox won't contend in 2013, keep him until the AS Break and then assuming he's having a decent year, find someone to take him as a rental.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - Aviles will be a free agent. He won't be offered arbitration. Lavarnway isn't worth anything right now and Breslow is another of lots of relievers. Given Ellsbury's contract status, the Red Sox would have to throw in a top 5 prospect.

And a question for you: Do you think Oakland would take Ellsbury for a year and give up a 25 year old Anderson? Can they afford Ellsbury? Has their formula worked? The same can be said for Tampa. Those teams won't give up that pitching for a player they'll get one year out of.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

moon - Aviles will be a free agent. He won't be offered arbitration. Lavarnway isn't worth anything right now and Breslow is another of lots of relievers. Given Ellsbury's contract status, the Red Sox would have to throw in a top 5 prospect.

And a question for you: Do you think Oakland would take Ellsbury for a year and give up a 25 year old Anderson? Can they afford Ellsbury? Has their formula worked? The same can be said for Tampa. Those teams won't give up that pitching for a player they'll get one year out of.

ADG - You think the Sox will let Aviles walk away for nothing?  I don't, I think they will offer him arb....and I think he'll play SS next season from May onward after the SS Iglesias sinks under the Mendoza sea.

• Sections
    Shortcuts