Ellsbury the real deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury the real deal?

His numbers are amazing, of course, but I'm talking about September and seeing who can deliver when the chips are down.  Huge triple today for the go ahead run--on the same exact pitch, a curve ball over the plate, that struck out Crawford looking. 

If AGon can't play or is moved out of the 3 spot, my vote for batting 3d would be Ellsbury.  Batting leadoff, he has more rbi's than Ortiz, and Ortiz is having a pretty amazing season himself. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Ellsbury the real deal?

Max - sometimes a player thrives in a certain line-up spot. Ellsbury has been so successful this year that I am not sure you would want to mess with that by putting him into the most pressure filled spot in the line-up. He is still young and it may cause him to press a little harder for the long ball. I could be wrong and he might thrive there, but why risk a something that is going perfectly right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have been a big Gonzo guy in MVP predictions and then more recently I thought Ells and Gonzo would split votes and Granderson would win, but now I think, barring Verlander winning bith the CY and MVP, Ellsbury is the MVP of the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury the real deal?:
    Max - sometimes a player thrives in a certain line-up spot. Ellsbury has been so successful this year that I am not sure you would want to mess with that by putting him into the most pressure filled spot in the line-up. He is still young and it may cause him to press a little harder for the long ball. I could be wrong and he might thrive there, but why risk a something that is going perfectly right now.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Good point.  No telling what happens if he actually does bat 3d. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From Wednesday's FanGraphs chat with columnist Dave Cameron:

12:50
    [Comment From YirmiyahuYirmiyahu: ] 
    Is Jacoby Ellsbury's season a sign of things to come? Or will this be a career year he won't come close to repeating?
    Wednesday September 14, 2011 12:50 Yirmiyahu
    12:50
    Dave Cameron: 
    I'll go with career year.
    12:52
    [Comment From PersonPerson: ] 
    8 WAR is almost always a career year, unless you're pujols
    Wednesday September 14, 2011 12:52 Person
    12:52
    Dave Cameron: 
    Right. But I'd be surprised if Ellsbury gets close to 30 bombs again. Just don't think the power is legit long term.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-chat-91411/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Ellsbury the real deal?:
    His numbers are amazing, of course, but I'm talking about September and seeing who can deliver when the chips are down.  Huge triple today for the go ahead run--on the same exact pitch, a curve ball over the plate, that struck out Crawford looking.  If AGon can't play or is moved out of the 3 spot, my vote for batting 3d would be Ellsbury.  Batting leadoff, he has more rbi's than Ortiz, and Ortiz is having a pretty amazing season himself. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

The Sox are nuts if they don't try to get this kid wrapped up in the off-season!

PROVEN!   He can do it in BOSTON!  That's huge!!!!!   see Crawford :(

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

With Theo on his way to chicago, this leaves a great opportunity for the next GM to give Els what he is worth and for the RS to develop a Carl Yaz kind of star.  His potentail upside is so large, unlike the huge money swiped by 10 year vets who will only decline (i.e. Crawfud, Drew, cameron, etc.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Ellsbury has gone from a good player to a superstar.  He's the real deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Premature. He won't be a bona-fide "superstar" until he continues to learn how to exploit the wall and repeats production over several years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

Hello everyone it's been a few years since i posted. I wanted to say hello to everyone. My nic a few years ago was Navajo Kid in honor of Jacoby Ellsbury. I got in quite a few fights with softlow back then I believed this kid jacoby would be a very good player, I can honestly say now that he surpassed my expectations. Still enjoy the very wise posts of Mr Notin. I hope they sign Jacoby long term love his clutch hiting also Papelbon has been great hope they keep him. keep up the good work  guys and your posts are very enjoyable to read.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hello everyone it's been a few years since i posted. I wanted to say hello to everyone. My nic a few years ago was Navajo Kid in honor of Jacoby Ellsbury. I got in quite a few fights with softlow back then I believed this kid jacoby would be a very good player, I can honestly say now that he surpassed my expectations. Still enjoy the very wise posts of Mr Notin. I hope they sign Jacoby long term love his clutch hiting also Papelbon has been great hope they keep him. keep up the good work  guys and your posts are very enjoyable to read.
    Posted by FantaSox

Nice to hear from you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Posted by FantaSox

and your new nik is in honor of Orange Fanta?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FantaSox. Show FantaSox's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury the real deal? : and your new nik is in honor of Orange Fanta ?
    Posted by BurritoT

i lost my old nik its why i am using Fantasox for fantastic sox.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

oh

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts