Ellsbury to Texas for minor leauge package

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Ellsbury to Texas for minor leauge package

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

23 million for Shane and Ellsbury is almost as bad as nearly 30 million for Crawford and Ellsbury. To have any value and fit, Shane needs to be in CF and Ellsbury needs to be traded to a team that will pay his 10M to free agency for the draft compensation and/or FA extension, with the other parts to complete a multi-team deal that acquires J. Upton. Bradley has a place holder for a year and Shane will need to move to platoon RF for his last year or two as an old man.

B I N G O   !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Boy that looks weak on paper. then again 2 years ago on paper they started with what looked like 1 of greatest teams ever and that didnt end to well. this just looks more like a royals typ. lineup than sox. I think they picked up Victorino and Napoli a couple yrs. past their expiration date. Dempster whatever. Gomes? really? Gomes. dont know what he brings to the party. hope it works out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This is the worst team they have put together since what? Maybe 1993?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Nah, Ells is a Nomar type of player. Extremely talented but fragile. I say do the 2004 thing. Hold on to him until the trade dealine and trade him for players who can help win now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Well , the fact is that Ben has been G.M for one year. In that year , the team fell apart. Worst Sox team in years. 93 losses and a last place finish. Mega trade with L.A. to free up payroll. Now , how is that money being spent ? On a collection of mediocre veterans ?  Under the premise that we are going with short term contracts and hoping that the kids will make the difference in the years to come.  Is that really viable ?

In fairness to Cherington it's his job to undue what was a flawed roster he inherated from the legend that was Theo Epstein and the disfuction that was the front office since the infamous gorilla suit episode. In order for his to reconstruct, he had to first deconstruct and in the process, freed up the capital and moved players that we're not seen as part of the solution.Like it or not, we the fans need to give the guy a little rope...it's not like he has a major league baseball players catelog with shiny new toys and parts for sale to rebuild the team over night...

As for how the moneys saved in the LA deal are being spent, it appears to me that prudence is the word of the day. The only two impact players that were on the market, both came with warning lables attached. Instead what he's done is sign dirt dogs AKA baseball players to short term deals in the interest of remaking the team with an eye on finding palyers that are complimentary with the goal of the results being greater than the sum of the parts...A team if you will...

OMG a voice of reason amongst the doomsdayers on this board...Bean, I don't think I can reasonably digest a sensible post here amongst all the whining ones.

The fact that only two high profile free agents, with a little bit of baggage, were not pursued with long term offers from the Sox is understandable...cripes signing them would have thrown the franchise right back into the mess they removed in August.

The players acquired this offseason are not superstars, but each is a professional major league player who can fit on a "team" as you alluded to.

These guys might fail like all the naysayers are whining, but they also could mesh into a dirtdog type team that plays hard and wins lots of one run games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think the term " dirt dog " has gradually morphed into a euphemism for just another marginally talented player who hustles , but is just not very good. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Nah, Ells is a Nomar type of player. Extremely talented but fragile. I say do the 2004 thing. Hold on to him until the trade dealine and trade him for players who can help win now. 

The difference is that in 2004 we had Manny , Ortiz , Pedro , Schilling , Lowe and others.  The chances of getting players for Ellsbury that will help us win now are slim and none. We are blowing it this off season. It looks to me like the plan is to pretty much write off 2013 and plan ahead for the future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ellsbury's as good as gone, between the money he'll be looking for and injuries, that's created bad blood. I expect he'll be traded by or at the deadline and why Victorino was given a 3 year deal.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts