1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CougarLover16. Show CougarLover16's posts

Ellsbury trade

So I was thinking, if I were BC I'd think about dealing Ellsbury to the Nationals for Anthony Rendon, Danny Espinosa, and Ross Detwiler. Espinosa can play SS, you'd be getting a top prospect in Rendon, and a solid young pitcher in Detwiler. All are young players also. The Nationals doing this won't have to use Harper in CF and can save his legs. They also have the money and space to say to Boras "We're willing to make him to the highest paid OF in baseball." If I were the Sox I'd seriously think about doing this move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Ellsbury trade

"save his legs" ??  He is 19.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Rendon plays third base...how does that fit with Middlebrooks?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not much use for Espinosa, but otherwise not bad.  Don't think Nats would do it.  Detwiler has improved over the years, with three more control years left.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Ellsbury's trade value was at its peak after his near MVP season of 2011. He was a one year wonder who will never approach those numbers again; the Red Sox should have cashed in while they had the chance. They'll be likely to get a couple of spare parts at this point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury trade:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury's trade value was at its peak after his near MVP season of 2011. He was a one year wonder who will never approach those numbers again; the Red Sox should have cashed in while they had the chance. They'll be likely to get a couple of spare parts at this point.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

If he was a one-year wonder, do you think that would've escaped the notice of other GMs?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

If he was a one-year wonder, do you think that would've escaped the notice of other GMs?

I do, yes, because there wouldn't have been yet another injury-filled season of mediocrity afterwards to cast doubt upon his ability to consistenly produce at an elite level. While I don't echo Softlaw's denigration of Ellsbury's skillset, I concur with him that Ellsbury is vastly overrated and unlikely to approach his 2011 numbers in any future season. Ellsbury is good, but he's not 2011 level good. Following last year's campaign, the Red Sox had the perfect opportunity to capitalize on a player at his apex. Now teams won't offer as much because they'll figure that 2010 and 2012 are more in line with what to expect from him than 2011. Throw in the fact that Carl Crawford isn't going anywhere thanks to the asinine contract Epstein gifted him, and keeping Ellsbury made absolutely no sense. The Red Sox simply can't afford to keep two similar players at $20+ million a year.

8. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts