Ellsbury vs Granderson

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Ellsbury vs Granderson

Ellsbury probably makes more sense...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Cost a pick, rather go with JBJ.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox did it last year, they kept their Picks, did their homework, and won a WS. Cant keep building a team through Free Agency. At least not the QO's guys. You lose out for the future too.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If Ellsbury walks hello Rajai Davis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to chris2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cost a pick, rather go with JBJ.

[/QUOTE]

I  understand about the pick, but sometimes we worry to much about a pick when the need is now. Just my thoughts.

[/QUOTE]

You are basically trading the 29th pick for something in the supplement round. Ellsbury is just better. I mean they don't need another high k high slugging guy, they have Middlebrooks. The need a little more OBP to replace Ellsbury.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We should not be looking to downgrade at any position, least of all centerfield. It doesn't take much to go from first to fourth in the A.L. East. The goal has to be to keep getting better, not putting less of a team out there and hoping for the best.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should not be looking to downgrade at any position, least of all centerfield. It doesn't take much to go from first to fourth in the A.L. East. The goal has to be to keep getting better, not putting less of a team out there and hoping for the best.

[/QUOTE]

+1
    Sign Ellsbury (if possible) & either stockpile JBJ in Pawtucket as the RF in 2015 or trade JBJ to fill another gap.

Personally I like the idea of holding onto him.  If there's one big take-away from the 2013 season it's that the Sox need a CF to patrol RF in Fenway and JBJ is a prime candidate.  As much as I like everything Victorino brings to the table I see his health as being a concern in 2014 and even more in 2015.

Option #2:  We have a LF of Nava, Gomes, and Carp with Nava and Carp both having the same versatility.  As much as I'd hate to see either Nava or Carp leave, if one of them got traded there'd be room for JBJ in Boston as the 5th OF.  In that capacity we'd have a solid backup in CF and RF. 

Ugh. I'm talking myself into trading Nava or Carp here.  :-(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Ellsbury easy cuz he is a perfect lead off guy.  Granderson isnt a leadoff guy.  If he sign with Boston, he is more likely to be a #6 to #8 hitter.  Boston just have too many of them.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury easy cuz he is a perfect lead off guy.  Granderson isnt a leadoff guy.  If he sign with Boston, he is more likely to be a #6 to #8 hitter.  Boston just have too many of them.

[/QUOTE] especially since leaving Motown...his few leadoff games with the Yanks were probably more out of necessity..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to chris2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, is your answer Ells, I'm all for it, if he stays, what are your options if he does not.

[/QUOTE]

They should make every effort to sign him. If he leaves, the best option would be Beltran. I would be okay with Beltran, Victorino and Bradley in the outfield.  A trade for Stanton appears to be out of the question at this time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Ellsbury walks hello Rajai Davis.

[/QUOTE]

I said this earlier as well.  Perfect guy to keep JBJ motivated.  Has great wheels and solid def.  Carp likely gets moved in this scenario.  Nava as back up 1B behind Naps.  Whenever he signs.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would explore Granderson if/when the Sox know they are out of an Ellsbury return.....the pick wouldnt be a hinderance to me, as long as we are only talking 2 years or less. As many said, I would rather keep Ells, but the dollar difference saved between an Ells Contract and a Granderson contract(probable over 100MM) more than makes up for what the Value of the first round pick would be. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

taking a look at CG's last full season (2012) stats.  he is a dead pull hitter to the OF. 

works great in wiffle ball RF.  dont imagine it would play as great in expanse of Fens.

his splits 2012:

HOME:  .542 / .871  (slg/ops)

AWAY:  .445 / .755

I'll take Ells.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury easy cuz he is a perfect lead off guy. 

While a .350 OBP is very good, it is not "perfect" for a leadoff hitter.

Ellsbury had the 9th best OPS on the Red Sox last year (players with 230+ PAs).

7th best OPS out of all Sox players with 470+ PAs.

I don't pay $18M+  x  5+ years for that.

We will miss him, but for $18M, we can add two decent players at high need areas. The added draft pick is the gravy for the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Speaking of draft picks, guess which player the Angels got as a draft pick for losing Texeira to the Yankees,................................answer is below.   

Trout     Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ellsbury easy cuz he is a perfect lead off guy. 

While a .350 OBP is very good, it is not "perfect" for a leadoff hitter.

Ellsbury had the 9th best OPS on the Red Sox last year (players with 230+ PAs).

7th best OPS out of all Sox players with 470+ PAs.

I don't pay $18M+  x  5+ years for that.

We will miss him, but for $18M, we can add two decent players at high need areas. The added draft pick is the gravy for the future.

With all due respect, is it possible that in being a stats guy you ignore the eyeball test?

My eyes tell me that Ellsbury makes the offense go.  When he gets on base good things happen.  I know at one point you did some research on how many singles or BB's get turned into doubles with a SB and that made his numbers look better.   Something that can't be quantified is that is being on base also often times causes a realignment of the IF's to give Victorino and Pedey a hole on the right side to hit through - which they're both very adept at.     

And of course there's the fact that Ellsbury's just being on base gets the hitters behind him more FB's to hit along with more "mistake pitches".   

I certainly wouldn't question his numbers - they are what they are - but IMO they don't tell the whole story of how valuable he is to the offense. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and we got...

Ellsbury & Lowrie for O Cabrera

Buchholz for Pedro

Ranaudo for Wagner

Workman & Brentz for J Bay