Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Ellsbury

He's taking far too many strikes, some right down Broadway. Then he's late on grooved pitches. What gives? IIRC, he didn't regularly put himself in a two-strike hole. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Ellsbury

Of all the problems this team has you pick on the one player who is doing all right, especially considering he's coming off a long stint on the DL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]He's taking far too many strikes, some right down Broadway. Then he's late on grooved pitches. What gives? IIRC, he didn't regularly put himself in a two-strike hole. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]
    Yeah. I think he has the misguided idea that he has to work the count. He should be more agressive. Always hitting with two strikes is not the way to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury:
    [QUOTE]Of all the problems this team has you pick on the one player who is doing all right, especially considering he's coming off a long stint on the DL.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]
    I made an observation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Cue softy in 3, 2, 1.........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

My guess is that if he starts swinging at early strikes and makes some quick outs...posts like this turn it around. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE SOX HAVE TO SEND A MESSAGE TO THE NON PERFORMERS
    THAT LACKLUSTER EFFORTS WILL RESULT IN DFA'S AND DEMOTIONS.
    OTHERWISE , THE TEAM WILL CONTINUE TO FOUNDER.  
    HAVING TO WATCH AVILES, NAVA, CRAWFORD, MELANCON,
    COOK, AND ROSS NIGHT AFTER NIGHT MAKES A FAN REALIZE
    THAT THIS IS TRULY A LAST PLACE CLUB.   TRUE....ROSS AND
    AVILES OCCASIONALLY GET MEANINGFUL HITS, BUT OVER THE
    LONG RUN, THESE GUYS ARE LOSERS, AS IS SALTY, DESPITE
    HIS HRS.  -[NOTE..SALTY IS BATTING ABOUT .235], SO HOLD OFF
    ON THE CHAMPAGNE. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ellsbury : Yeah. I think he has the misguided idea that he has to work the count. He should be more agressive. Always hitting with two strikes is not the way to go.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Right, coming off the DL ( not yesterday ) has nothing to do with taking too many hittable pitches. His shoulder was injured not his eyes. He does not seem to be favoring his shoulder. He's taking full cuts. And he did get some hits between coming off the DL and the last few games. Hughes practically put the ball on a tee for him.
    He'll probably become more ready to pull the trigger. As you say, hitting with two-strikes on you is a way to make pitchers wealthy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Ells is not hitting well right now.  Ells will be fine.

One of the last things we need to worry about.  

You are correct though.  Right now he is a bit off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]My guess is that if he starts swinging at early strikes and makes some quick outs...posts like this turn it around. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]
    Depends upon how he hits the ball. Or where the pitch was. If he takes a shot at a hittable pitch, no complaints here, whatever the outcome. In some AB's a batter sees only one hittable pitch, maybe two. Better get on them when you see them.
    You're less likely to see them when you are down 0 and 2 or 1 and 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]the one player who is doing all right, especially considering he's coming off a long stint on the DL. The fact that he's coming off a long stint on the DL should mean he is fresh and has energy. He's a loser. In fact, his face is the face of 5 years of loser baseball. He had nothing to do with the AL East title or the playoff run in 2007. He and Crawford at 30 million a year is the most embarrassing situation in Red Sox history. One of them needs to be kicked out the door via trade, and that won't be Crawford.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Did I even finish the countdown? Surprise, surprise....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ells is not hitting well right not.  Ells will be fine. One of the last things we need to worry about.   You are correct though.  Right now he is a bit off.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    I agree that he will hit.
    I'm just wondering about what seems to have got into him. The "bit off" doesn't look at all like his typical approach the plate. 
    I'm not really worrying, just wondering.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lack of fundamentals.  Our plate discipline is awful this year. 2nd in K/W last year, 12th this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

imo this whole working the count thing drives me mad...work the count in the later innings when the pitcher is heading towards 100 pitches or so...but watching the first pitch go right down the middle for each batter and having them behind in the count is not worth it...

swing i say

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Ellsbury": [QUOTE]imo this whole working the count thing drives me mad...work the count in the later innings when the pitcher is heading towards 100 pitches or so...but watching the first pitch go right down the middle for each batter and having them behind in the count is not worth it... swing i say Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] We are also becoming more adept at taking called 3rd strikes. Just ask Aviles!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

All I know is he's not looking like the guy who tore rthe cover off the ball last year.  He better do some hitting if he wants to get the big payday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Ells and Crawford are at the place most players are in at the end of spring training. I am looking at others who are going through the same thing, like Ryan Howard and they all look a little sloppy at this point.  If they remain like that in August, then there is a problem.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Ellsbury has always had an exceptionally good eye for the strike zone. No, he's not hitting those down-the-middle-first strikes, but he's doing what a lead-off hitter should do; give the next hitters as many looks at what the pitcher is throwing as possible, and then get on base.

This is why I have maintained for 3 years that Ellsbury should not be leading off! He's got too much power, and should be hitting 3rd. His speed also is more valuable
    in the 3 hole than leading off. He has always been a good hitter with men on base. It's not only Ellsbury who is taking first pitch strikes, it's most everyone else. It was worth the price of admission to see Crawford taking a first pitch hanger into the bleachers last night. Maybe he's going to go back to the hitter he once was.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury has always had an exceptionally good eye for the strike zone. No, he's not hitting those down-the-middle-first strikes, but he's doing what a lead-off hitter should do; give the next hitters as many looks at what the pitcher is throwing as possible, and then get on base. This is why I have maintained for 3 years that Ellsbury should not be leading off! He's got too much power, and should be hitting 3rd. His speed also is more valuable in the 3 hole than leading off. He has always been a good hitter with men on base. It's not only Ellsbury who is taking first pitch strikes, it's most everyone else. It was worth the price of admission to see Crawford taking a first pitch hanger into the bleachers last night. Maybe he's going to go back to the hitter he once was.
    Posted by bosoxmal[/QUOTE]
    It's more important to get on base than to give the batters behind looks at what the pitcher is throwing. If the first pitch is a cripple, cripple it. Ellsbury is taking pitches belt high right down the middle. That's a "BP fastball" with a little more velocity, which will help it leave the park. Besides, he should be teaching pitchers not to try to jump out ahead of him, and then follow a pattern to their advantage, often to counts like 0 and 2 and 1 and 2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

EX,
    For someone that has your overall knowledge of the game. This thread is puzzling to me.

Hitting 101 taught at an early age to youth ball players starting at age 12 is to have a plan when you step up to the plate. Situational hitting is predicated on the count...when you're ahead in the count you look for a pitch that's in your "box", one that you can handle and put a good swing on it. Conversly when you get two strikes on you, you're taught to expand the box and protect...Not every stike is a hittable pitch, not every ball is an unhittable one. Hitter's go through peaks and valleys when they're seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand and squaring it up...They also go through periods when they're not seeing the ball well and with that they loose the ability to recognize pitches in thier box and become tentitive. Your "query" regarding Ellsbury is fine...lets at least allow him to go thorugh the process of getting to 100 at bats...Which is the gold standard used by coaches and players to evaluate where they are in relantionship to career norms. Before we make too big a deal out of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]EX, For someone that has your overall knowledge of the game. This thread is puzzling to me. Hitting 101 taught at an early age to youth ball players starting at age 12 is to have a plan when you step up to the plate. Situational hitting is predicated on the count...when you're ahead in the count you look for a pitch that's in your "box", one that you can handle and put a good swing on it. Conversly when you get two strikes on you, you're taught to expand the box and protect...Not every stike is a hittable pitch, not every ball is an unhittable one. Hitter's go through peaks and valleys when they're seeing the ball out of the pitchers hand and squaring it up...They also go through periods when they're not seeing the ball well and with that they loose the ability to recognize pitches in thier box and become tentitive. Your "query" regarding Ellsbury is fine...lets at least allow him to go thorugh the process of getting to 100 at bats...Which is the gold standard used by coaches and players to evaluate where they are in relantionship to career norms. Before we make too big a deal out of it.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Ellsbury was hitting the ball before he started to take pitches until he has two strikes on him. I said above in response to snakeoil that I think he will hit. It just seemed odd to me that he appeared to have changed his "approach" at the plate. Perhaps, as you say, he isn't seeing the ball well, or he's in one of those "downs."  But a "down" can be defined many ways: late on pitches, overswinging, trying to pull everything, etc. Ellsbury has been down in a particularly puzzling way, one that, IMO, does not fit well into the "gold standard."  ( Which is not everyone's standard. )  If he had been struggling virtually from Day One of his return, it would be easier to understand what looks like sudden uncertainty, or at least hesitancy, at he plate, especially to the point of two strikes, often pitches not only hittable but right down the middle. That, specifically, is what has been puzzling me.
    This club is in the doldrums. It needs Ellsbury to get something started.
    I thought all of this was worth mentioning, as an observation. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If the pitcher knows that the batter is not going to swing, he will just throw a fastball down the middle , and get ahead in the count.  Then , the next pitch is fouled off. Now , you are down 0-2. Cannot be successful hitting in that situation most of the time.  Coming off the D.L. has nothing to do with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is essentially Jacoby's second spring training. Let's wait for a larger sample size to start judging him too harshly.

softy's still bummed out about Jacoby taking Coco's job away mid playoffs 2007, then hitting .438 in the World Series (this after a .927 OPS after his call-up in Sept 2007) .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury often starts slow. He will be cranking within a couple weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts