Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Ellsbury

Great series for Ellsbury----leading the team with 9-18 at the plate, solid in the outfield and a terror on the path paths. Oh and last night he drilled a 97 mph heater off of a tough leftie that sent Bogaerts to 3rd into position to score the tieing run. Then he gets all the way to 3rd himself on a wild pitch (how often does that happen?) and scores the winning run.

I know that there are a bunch of Ellsbury haters at this site--no matter what he does!--but that has always been incomprehensible to me. While I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform next year, that is of no concern to me at the moment. I see us heading to the World Series---this year! Who would have figured! And Ellsbury is one of the players leading us there. Bravo to Jacoby!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jblazed9. Show jblazed9's posts

Re: Ellsbury

Ben should give Ellsbury the pen to fill in the check. Sign him now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

He was running on the pitch that went wild. But I agree. Sign him NOW! Can't afford to let him go. He's the best player on the team currently with Papi being the best hitter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I want him back as much as anyone but do you give him 8 years 25 million @ $200 million?  For a guy who isn't known for playing 150 a year? 

I go 6/100 but I won't want to lose him for an extra $10 million.......it would probably be nuts to give him a total # greater than Pedey's...........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

He was running on the pitch that went wild. But I agree. Sign him NOW! Can't afford to let him go. He's the best player on the team currently with Papi being the best hitter.

Well, Pedey and Ortiz are better then Ellsbury - but only of course when he plays.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to jblazed9's comment:

Easy to say, but Jacoby is going to be in no rush to sign anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Gotta agree with you and think he'd be crazy to not take the best deal out there---hopefully with the Sox. But that's for later. Now he's with us, playing great baseball and one of the guys leading us to the World Series. What's not to like about that!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

I saw that he was stealing and I saw that his slide into second hardly slowed him down a bit. There aren't too many players in baseball who could have done what he did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There is only one Ellsbury Hater.

Most have resigned themselves to the fact that he always had a desire to test free agency,  based on his decision to hire Scott Boras...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He looks great, and I am a huge Ellsbury fan, but let's get serious.  For starters, some of those hits were flukey, including the double.  I also think, in Ellsbury's favor, he and Victorino are a great combo at the top of the order and in the outfield, so all the more reason to sign him.  But the price tag is going to be too much.  Somebody is going to pay him Carl Crawford or better money for the exact same reason the Sox gave CC that insane contract--they fall in love with a few games.  I just don't think you can pay the big bucks to someone whose OPS is unlikely to be over .800 (or much over .800). 

That said, I would make him a "good offer,"  certainly more than $16M/year X 5.  That's $80M, so maybe I would go to $100M, but not $140M. 

And remember it is possible Bradley will hit as well in Boston as he has hit at AA and AA.  We already know he is an excellent centerfielder. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

I think the issue will be years not $$$ per year.  I'd offer him 6 year @ $100M with another $20M in incentives for games play + production.  But he is going to want 8 years and in 6 he might be done...we don't need an aging Jeter type guy on our bench for his last two seasons...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

He looks great, and I am a huge Ellsbury fan, but let's get serious.  For starters, some of those hits were flukey, including the double.  I also think, in Ellsbury's favor, he and Victorino are a great combo at the top of the order and in the outfield, so all the more reason to sign him.  But the price tag is going to be too much.  Somebody is going to pay him Carl Crawford or better money for the exact same reason the Sox gave CC that insane contract--they fall in love with a few games.  I just don't think you can pay the big bucks to someone whose OPS is unlikely to be over .800 (or much over .800). 

That said, I would make him a "good offer,"  certainly more than $16M/year X 5.  That's $80M, so maybe I would go to $100M, but not $140M. 

And remember it is possible Bradley will hit as well in Boston as he has hit at AA and AA.  We already know he is an excellent centerfielder. 

Gotta agree about the flukey hits, but however he does it he gets on base and isn't that the objective with a leadoff hitter?  It's ironic but the hardest ball he hit all series was a smoked line drive to second for an out the night he had 3 hits. I'll leave the contract talk for another day and only note that for tight playoff baseball where every base hit counts and speed matters I'm happy he's on our team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I agree it is the years are the issue....not the AAV.....with Ells health history and the fact that he is a guy who relies on his speed, which isnt going to get better with age.....6 years is the max you could consider going....and I am sure Boras will be looking for 8 ....I would try a huge AAV on a shorter deal and hope he doesnt get bites on a longer deal.....say 5/110.....at the end of that deal he would be 35, so if he stayed healthy he could still get another 3 year deal from someone at that time....Damon got 8mm from Detroit at 36.....it probably wont be enough but if he feels about this team like most of the other guys seem to, he might be tempted to stay around for 22MM per.....I dont see him getting that AAV on a longer deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am not a fan of long term contracts so no way would I offer 8 years..no way. Ellsbury just turned 30. Given the physical demands of the position, there will be a decline around 35 y/o if not sooner. I love Jacoby Ellsbury.. I think his best years are behind him.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It will be interesting to see what happens in his free agency.  Boras will go long, no doubt.  But, though he is multi-faceted, the trancendent aspect of Ellsbury's game is still his raw, uncanny speed.  6 years seems like  a ballpark window of how long he could retain world-class speed.  But after that, he would have to re-frame his game.  My guess is he ends up with ginormous annual salary, but not the 8-10 year contract they will demand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to notin's comment:

There is only one Ellsbury Hater.

Most have resigned themselves to the fact that he always had a desire to test free agency,  based on his decision to hire Scott Boras...

True.  But this Ellsbury Hater has had more chatboard names than the rest of us combined.  If you don't keep up around here, I can see how one might get confused.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

When you put the ball in play, you will get some " flukey " hits. Won't happen if you strike out.  When you are a career .300 hitter, they can't all be that "flukey."  

Stabbed by Foulke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

When you put the ball in play, you will get some " flukey " hits. Won't happen if you strike out.  When you are a career .300 hitter, they can't all be that "flukey."  

Stabbed by Foulke.

For every flukey hit that Ells might get I'm sure there are plenty of great plays made that he hits into as well. Sort of like the old saying "you make your own luck". 

Hetch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I am not a fan of long term contracts so no way would I offer 8 years..no way. Ellsbury just turned 30. Given the physical demands of the position, there will be a decline around 35 y/o if not sooner. I love Jacoby Ellsbury.. I think his best years are behind him.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

Best years are behind him? Thats dumb. In the midddle of prime years right now. He is in excellant shape. All the missed games actually help him heading into his 30's. Front office would be crazy to let him go. Bradley is no Ells. At least not yet. Let Drew walk plug in X and sign Salty. Let Nap walk keep Drew and move Middy to 1st. The most important signing is Ellsbury. Dont let a homegrown star walk. He has been nothing but class on and off the field.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd love to have Ellsbury back, but even $18M x 5 or more years is too high for me.

There are so many positive things he brings to the game (and our team) that aren't always measured by stats.

The two things that make me shy away from offering huge money are:

1) He does not even have a top 6 OPS on his own team during this healthy season. I know OPS is not everything, and I tend to use that stat too much, but paying $20M/yr plus for a .780 to .790 OPS just turns me off too much.

2) He has a weak arm and still gets late breaks or takes wrong angles on balls a bit too much for my liking. Yes, he makes up for it and then some with his speed, but I do not feel he is as great a fielder as many here seem to feel he is.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

"no rush to sign anything"

You're right.

Boras will wait to see if the yanks sign Cano and I totally expect them to be a serious player for Jacoby if Cano leaves NY.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Of course, I really want him back so badly.  Ellsbury and Victorino are one of the best #1 and #2 hitters in the MLB.  They both set the tone for the offense. 

I understand that us, the fans, are worry about how much money he is demanding.  But so far the Yankees refuse to give Cano what he want.  So hopefully Cano reduce his demand to like 7 to 6 years contract.  If that is the case, that would help Boston.  Remember Giradi is coming back to manage the Yankees.  So therefore, Cano's preference of playing is with the Yankees again.  

I strongly think that Ellsbury will wait and see what kind of contract Cano will get, and then go from there.  Ellsbury loves Boston alot as well he love playing for Farrell.  I cant imagine he goes to another organization where they keep firing manager from one year to another like Seattle or a team that lacks some funs.   No way it is fun playing for the Seattle team if he want to return back to nearby his hometown areas.   Plus Ellsbury got to take a note.  Most top two highest newly free agent paid players in past many years never have successful season at the new team.  Look at Josh Hamilton, Pujols, Werth, Crawford, Wislon, etc.  Most of them struggled with the newly team except Crawford who got traded.

Ellsbury got to think about that part.  If he knew he may struggle in sometime in the future with the newly team, and do not care about it cuz all he want the $$$$$$, then maybe I could understand what he is doing.  But I strongly think that is not what he want to do.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

The real risk to a long term pricey contract I feel is he seems to be injury prone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I always get a kick when I see compare Ells AA and AAA numbers to JBJ. Not close.

If he didn't have those 2 fluke injuries, people would be screaming to resign him.

Sections
Shortcuts