Ellsbury's Absence Hasn't been a Factor at all, are you Surprised?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Ellsbury's Absence Hasn't been a Factor at all, are you Surprised?

Thank you Fireman.  I love a good comic lazzi.  The trick is consistency of character.  I appreciate your excellence in this regard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's indicative of the great job Cherington did assembling this team.  A long absence by Ortiz didn't stop it, nor did a long absence by Buchholz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I wanted to get Crisp this off season and I was booed like crazy around here

Ellsbury hasn't been missed but this ain't October - we need him he makes the entire line up and OF much much better

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

the sox have been a steady ship and continued to float on thru some injuries to key players throughout.   i would think any real RS fan hopes to have him back for the playoffs....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Crisp was not available this past offseason.  Not without meeting the trade demands of Billy Beane.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It could had been 2 seasons ago then.  He was recently a Free Agent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

yup.  he signed his last contract before the '12 season.  2 year deal.  A's have a club option for '14 @ 7.5MM

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not at all surprised this thread was started.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I think, with the broken foot and just a few weeks left, he's played his last game ever for the Red Sox. I'm one of the few Red Sox fans who hopes that is the case.

It's interesting to note that Crisp just hit his 21st homer of the 2013 season, and has been a key veteran leader in the A's 2nd straight season in the playoffs. Projections are just that, often wrong for many, but no one would have predicted the A's are neck and neck with the Red Sox for best record and homefield. 

I think it's interesting to see what's happened to the last starting CF's for the last Red Sox championship season. 

And it's interesting to see how time flies and Ellsbury has probably played his last game for the Red Sox. With Victorino and Bradley, it's going to be interesting to see whether they are embraced with the same doting fan support that was heaped on Ellsbury for the time he was with the Red Sox. 

For those who feel differently, where do you see Ellsbury over the next few weeks and next years. And if he never plays another game for the Red Sox, what will miss about this player and the expecations that he was going to be an all-time Red Sox great and MLB superstar?

Feel free to disagree. Thanks.

What is going to happen is Bradley is not going to be on the postseason roster, Ellsbury will get a pay day from some team, and if it is another team the Sox will sign a veteran center fielder for next season. Bradley seemingly took a step back this year and might be headed to Kalish status.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It's indicative of the great job Cherington did assembling this team.  A long absence by Ortiz didn't stop it, nor did a long absence by Buchholz.

+1

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Agreed!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

yup.  he signed his last contract before the '12 season.  2 year deal.  A's have a club option for '14 @ 7.5MM

[/QUOTE]

thanks...that means after 11 then I said to go after him.......how much better is Crisp than Crawful??  Unbelievable...........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

This board is getting so stupid lately with all these dumb topic.  Fans claim that Boston could win games without Drew, Ellsbury, Napoli, Victorino, Lester, Dempster, etc.  

But how the heck they won 93 games with them...not without them!!!?  Yes Ellsbury got hurt and but his last played a game was on Sept 6th.  Did the fans know that Boston was 7.5 games ahead of tampa when he decided to take time off so he can play for the post season??

7.5 freakin games ahead of Tampa!!  He was the key member of helping Boston to pushed Tampa away for good!!   

I do hope that Boston do win it all this year, and I do hope that four key free agents do walk away from Boston cuz that is what most fans wanted to see it to happen.  They mostly all rather to see Bogaerts at SS, Middlebrook at 3b, Bradley at CF and Carp at 1b along with a new catcher!!  I bet they would be a last place team!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Deja drivel.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think, with the broken foot and just a few weeks left, he's played his last game ever for the Red Sox. I'm one of the few Red Sox fans who hopes that is the case.

It's interesting to note that Crisp just hit his 21st homer of the 2013 season, and has been a key veteran leader in the A's 2nd straight season in the playoffs. Projections are just that, often wrong for many, but no one would have predicted the A's are neck and neck with the Red Sox for best record and homefield. 

I think it's interesting to see what's happened to the last starting CF's for the last Red Sox championship season. 

And it's interesting to see how time flies and Ellsbury has probably played his last game for the Red Sox. With Victorino and Bradley, it's going to be interesting to see whether they are embraced with the same doting fan support that was heaped on Ellsbury for the time he was with the Red Sox. 

For those who feel differently, where do you see Ellsbury over the next few weeks and next years. And if he never plays another game for the Red Sox, what will miss about this player and the expecations that he was going to be an all-time Red Sox great and MLB superstar?

Feel free to disagree. Thanks.

Fascinating.  Thanks a bunch.  I was going to start a thread on the exact same subject, except I was going to talk about Iglesias because the Sox actually improved after he left and have been winning at a .622 clip since. 

The point, obviously, is that this team is resilient talented enough to withstand some losses, just not too many.  They also went without Buchholz, 10-0 with the best ERA in the AL among starters, for 3 months, without Big Papi, our best hitter, for several weeks. 

As for Ellsbury, I am no expert but like everyone else think he will not be re-signed.  But replacing him won't be that easy because right now his wins above replacement, WAR, is 5.6, tenth best in the AL.  Yes, Victorino can fill in nicely in CF, not his best position, but then who plays RF for the Sox?   Nava's WAR is 2.7, but he is best in LF, plus moving him to right only opens a hole in LF.  So the Sox will have to go out and get a corner outfielder, and that assumes Victorino will move to CF, not his best position.  Bradley was of course the heir apparent, but, two hits last night notwithstanding, he needs to show he can hit MLB pitching.  At the same age and sample size in 2007, Ellsbury had shown just that, to say nothing of blazing speed which would leave Bradley in the dust. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

this RS fan wants Ells back for post-season and beyond.  speed kills.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

John Ferrell has done "the great job", not the GM.

Ha ha ha...John didn't do quite so well the last two years in Toronto.  You can't win without a good team.

Also, I think Cherington wanted Farrell for manager, even last year. 

Keep tryin' to peddle the snake oil though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ben Cherington has been just plain lucky.  Ain't it great? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

John Ferrell has done "the great job", not the GM.

First, its FARRELL, not Ferrell. Second, I was not aware that the manager for the Sox is the guy who signed Uehara, Victorino, Gomes, Napoli etc. Is that something new? Third, Farrell has done a good job overall, but has made too many tactical errors IMO to have his body of work described as "great".

Sections
Shortcuts