Ellsbury's OPS is now.890

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898:
    [QUOTE]How does Ellsbury compare to Fredd Lynn or Damon as the best recent Sox CF'ers?  I know he's better than Damon (prime vs prime) the question is will he have the longevity as JD.......But what about Freddie?  I think it will take a few more years of this........Thoughts?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Damon is a good comp for Ellsbury, Lynn not so much.  Better fielder, more power, less speed.  Fred is one of my alltime favorites, hated it when he was traded. 

OPS+ is one of the best stats for comparing hitting stats because it accounts for park and time period factors.

Ellsbury's 2011 OPS+ is 142, which is huge.  His career OPS+ now is 104.

Damon's career OPS+ is also 104.  His highest single-season OPS+ is 118.

Lynn's career OPS+ was 129.  He had 2 monster seasons, 1975 with a +161, and 1979 with a +176.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

At least we got value back when we traded Lynn.......Fisk was a total loss!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE] It was his ability to deliver in the stretch run and post-season, Elsbury didn't "deliver in stretch run and post season", 2007, Drew was "clutch" in 2007. WS was a route, and divison was pitching and core player efforts all season. Ellsbury was benched for no confidence in "stretch run and post season" 2008. What's unmasked is ignoring AGon and Ortiz and Pedroia and pretending that boy wonder is "superstar/greatness/MVP". And reality is no extension and no post FA contract becuase of Crawford. Reality is that Crawford and Ellsbury are poor v. LhP 2011. Future paints a different picture than "GM and team v. Softaw".
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]
    Normally I ignore your drivel, but now it occurs to me that you're playing "Archie Bunker" here ... that is, playing a character that is the direct opposite of who you really are. That comment blew your cover. Ellsbury didn't deliver in the 2007 postseason?!?!??!? If you truly believe that, your standards are insane.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

And then you turn right around and say the replacement for Ellsbury must be a power-hitting righty outfielder like Kemp of the Dodgers. That is absolute folly, not only because Kemp is unobtainable, but also because he will cost more than Ellsbury.

Agon was "obtainiable" according to this board except for a "ransom price". You are quite wrong! Any player on a bankrupt team down to one year of control is "attainable".

You are a small mind. Long term, Ellsbury isn't going to be signed. Kemp arbitration year is about 10 to 12M. Extension woud be 18-20M. Kemp is younger.

2012 to 2018 7 years for Kemp range would be about 136M.

Ellsbury 2012 to 2018 7 years for Ellsbury range would be about 120M.

Base average difference is about 2M a year more for Kemp. 

Now, what idiot who has Crawford on his books is going to put Ellsbury on his books long term?

And, given how rare talent like Kemp is, on a team with zilch on young star slugging RH OF talent, what idiot is going to wait around and hope some other big market team doesn't get Kemp via trade or FA bidding war?

Kemp's value goes down if 2012 isn't captured and starts a year older. 

I don't claim to be anything. I don't have to. Superfund litigation isn't something you claim or fake. Fiduciary Income and Prinicple allocation isn't something you google and know how to account in probate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898 : Damon is a good comp for Ellsbury, Lynn not so much.  Better fielder, more power, less speed.  Fred is one of my alltime favorites, hated it when he was traded.  OPS+ is one of the best stats for comparing hitting stats because it accounts for park and time period factors. Ellsbury's 2011 OPS+ is 142, which is huge.  His career OPS+ now is 104. Damon's career OPS+ is also 104.  His highest single-season OPS+ is 118. Lynn's career OPS+ was 129.  He had 2 monster seasons, 1975 with a +161, and 1979 with a +176.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Lynn was the more talented overall offensive player of the 3 with a lot more power and a better pure hitter, was a perennial gold glove center fielder and a great clutch hitter.  Had he stayed healthy and remained a sox player for his entire career, my guess is he would  now be a hall of famer.  Neither Damon nor Ells are half the fielder Lynn was nor could they throw with him.  He was the Tori Hunter of his era as far as making spectacular circus catches.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898 : Lynn was the more talented overall offensive player of the 3 with a lot more power and a better pure hitter, was a perennial gold glove center fielder and a great clutch hitter.  Had he stayed healthy and remained a sox player for his entire career, my guess is he would  now be a hall of famer.  Neither Damon nor Ells are half the fielder Lynn was nor could they throw with him.  He was the Tori Hunter of his era as far as making spectacular circus catches.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same, if Lynn had been able to stay healthy he would have had a shot at the HOF.  Just a great all-around player and always fun to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

There was a sports writer from the 1900's - he wrote a book in 1980 or so.........and he said that Fredd Lynn was the greatest player he had ever seen.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Three wet blankets come rushing to a pro-Ellsbury thread, Softlaw, Hill, and Andrewmitch. That is their job I suppose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury is a superstar and better than Lynn. Only Ted Williams compares.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who was the poster who said Jake would be nothing more than a 4th OF'er?

Jake would never have a full season with an OBP over .330 (later amended to .340, later amended to career average of over .340, later amended to leadoff OBP over .340, etc...)

Jake would hit more HRs if he played in LF.

Jake's stock was highest in 2009.

Jake's HR totals are padded by Pesky Pole.

Jake's season should be credied to a guy who hits 2 batters behind him.

Silly clown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury is a superstar and better than Lynn. Only Ted Williams compares.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

No one in their right mind would ever compare Jake to Teddy Ballgame.  Dom DiMaggio with more power is more like it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

162 Game Avg. 162 750 653 121 195 36 7 10 72 12 7 87 66 .298 .383 .419 .802 110 274 12 4 7  

Dom DiMaggio

162 Game Avg. 162 710 644 108 192 32 7 14 71 59 12 49 88 .298 .352 .434 .786 104 280 11 7 4 5 2  
     Jacoby Ellsbury

Remarkably similar players actually

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898 : No one in their right mind would ever compare Jake to Teddy Ballgame.  Dom DiMaggio with more power is more like it.

It was Johnny Pesky.

Softy pretended all of RSN supported Jonny's position just because we loved what we saw late season 2007.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Their power is even close as well Dom slightly higher OBP Jake slightly higher slugging.  Stolen bases also much higher for Jake as well, 12/59 average per year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Must be the poster who said the Rays were going away.

I said Jake would spend a large part of career as a platoon/4th OF'er. And he will.

Jake would never have a full season with an OBP over .330 (later amended to .340, later amended to career average of over .340, later amended to leadoff OBP over .340, etc...)

I never said "over .330", you lying sack of NYT.

I siad he'd be lucky to have a career OBP over .350, and one career year of .360 would be max possibility. Appears like he has a shot at .370, but I doubt he hold that. Career OBP is low .350's. I don't "amend".  

He would.

It was. CS is up and v. LhP is way down. Mixed bag, despite the euphoria. He was embarrassing, field and 8 LOB's, tonight.

I never said that. In fact, I said it reduced totals.

That said, season is getting late and I said one career would be high teens and low 20's,max. Career average is about 12 to 13. Reddick has more bat speed and a better swing for power. It remains to be seen where "MVP" Ellsbury ends up on a career season in some categories.

True. Put him in Oakland and MVP nonsense won't get off propaganda speakers. AGon is MVP on his own, and coattailing Bellsbury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I said Jake would spend a large part of career as a platoon/4th OF'er. And he will.

lol..when? When hes 36? your out of your freakin mind..but you keep believing it if it helps u sleep better...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Southpaw it is more of the same revisionist history, moving the goalposts trying desperately to defend a position that only a pathological pig headed individual would continue to attempt to defend.

I posted a comparison of Ells and Dominic DiMaggio(162 game average from Baseball Prospectus) that shows very strongly that Ells is a very similar player to Dom with more speed after he posted this sarcastic comment that Ells is the next Ted Williams which absolutey no other poster would ever claim.  It is all a game and nothing more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Southpaw it is more of the same revisionist history, moving the goalposts trying desperately to defend a position that only a pathological pig headed individual would continue to attempt to defend.  I posted a comparison of Ells and Dominic DiMaggio(162 game average from Baseball Prospectus) that shows very strongly that Ells is a very similar player to Dom with more speed after he posted this sarcastic comment that Ells is the next Ted Williams which absolutey no other poster would ever claim.  It is all a game and nothing more.

correct

his response to Moon was full of lies

his Ellsbury predictions from the past are all wrong and he has been humiliated

yet he still tirelessly posts his trash on a board where he is reviled

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Must be the poster who said the Rays were going away.

I never said "over .330", you lying sack of NYT.

I siad he'd be lucky to have a career OBP over .350, and one career year of .360 would be max possibility. Appears like he has a shot at .370, but I doubt he hold that. Career OBP is low .350's. I don't "amend".  

He would.

It was. CS is up and v. LhP is way down. Mixed bag, despite the euphoria. He was embarrassing, field and 8 LOB's, tonight.

I never said that. In fact, I said it reduced totals.

That said, season is getting late and I said one career would be high teens and low 20's,max. Career average is about 12 to 13. Reddick has more bat speed and a better swing for power. It remains to be seen where "MVP" Ellsbury ends up on a career season in some categories.

True. Put him in Oakland and MVP nonsense won't get off propaganda speakers. AGon is MVP on his own, and coattailing Bellsbury.

I have never mentioned Ellsbury and MVP in the same sentence or post. You have become 100% lies, distortions, and misrepresentations.

Your revised .350 career OBP is one of your grandest lies of all time. You said he couldn't even have a .330 OBP for a whole season, not you claim .350 career was your position all along. It's hard to imagine but you actually seem to believe your own lies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The way he believes his lies is hysterical. Glad the real fans here also have memories and don't believe the bull he peddles.

He said before '08 Ells wouldn't have an OBP over .330

He said before '09 his OBP would go DOWN from .336 (ha!)

He said before 2010 he would never have an OBP over .360 or hit 20 Hr's (will this season!)

Notice how the goalposts are moved.

He blathered on and on that Coco (4th Ofer) was better in 08 than Ells (starter) fangraphs said Ells was worth 19 million that year and Crisp 7 (LOST that one)

He said he'd be an 8 hitter in the NL 'within a couple of years' during 2008 (would that be by 2011? hahaha) and that by age 30 Ells speed would be gone and he'd be a platoon/4th Ofer... well he still has 2+ seasons of speed left I guess before this monster regression...

hahahaha

He compared him to Dave Roberts while the intelligent said Damon. Moon's stats showing Ells to be similar to Johnny are shocking.

all those trash predictions, with his racist comments mixed in, its sad really.

The ONLY thing Softy EVER got right when it came to Ells was that his power wouldn't increase from 08-09, it just took him till his 3rd season to find it, not his second.

When it comes to EVERYTHING else he was and will be WRONG

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He said before 2010 he would never have an OBP over .360 or hit 20 Hr's (will this season!) 

Even funnier still was his claim that although Jake would never hit 20HRs, his HR production would go up some by moving and because of moving to LF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]He said before 2010 he would never have an OBP over .360 or hit 20 Hr's (will this season!)  Even funnier still was his claim that although Jake would never hit 20HRs, his HR production would go up some by moving and because of moving to LF.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

So I guess he was wrong again!

That means he didn't get a single Ellsbury prediction right, haha, even if he did predict a wimpy 11-14 HR season from him in '10, as I was thinking more like 14-17.

Whatever, 2011 is the new 2010 (and 3rd season in the bigs) as last year is written off b/c of broken ribs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

He is also the idiot who guaranteed a few years back that Varitek would be part of a sign and trade. Yup, a sign and trade in Baseball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Nope, lying is popular for political dim wits. I said Varitek would be resigned, as a good ole boy. 

last year is written off b/c of broken ribs.

No, it's not "written off". It's very much written on. Take look at the official MLB stats for 2010.

Moonslo, you aren't a very good liar. So you were embarrassed about Tampa going away. So you were wrong about Twins affording Mauer. So you were wrong about Ortiz needing to be benched this year v. lhp. Lies won't help you. Ellsbury has hit 19 HR in the last 2 seasons.

I tell you dim wits what we should do. As Moonslow and I did on Tampa and this season, let's temper our Ellsbury doting and put down hard numbers for 2012 during Ellsbury's "prime years".

hr 18 or less
    OBP .359 or less

I will keep repeating these numbers for each poster, often enough to where they cannot be denied.

Ram is on the record for 25 or more hr for 2012 and 2013
    Ram is on the record for .370 or more OBP for 2012 and 2013.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Great Ellsbury's career high OPS is now .890. Please correct your thread title.

Sections
Shortcuts