Ellsbury's OPS is now.890

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890

Yes because we wouldn't want to exaggerate now would we?  .890 is still a very good OPS for a middle of the order hitter in any case and is astonishingly great for a table setter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Guess who else thinks Ells is having an amazing season?  Mr. Bob Ryan, who is my favorite sports writer and someone who's opinion I highly respect

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/08/09/could_ellsbury_join_these_leading_men/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Ells season is remarkable when you consider that Jimmy Rollins had an OPS of .875 in his recent MVP season which included an incredible 88 extra base hits including a ridiculous 20 triples!  Will  Ells have an OPS of .890 at seaon's end? probably not but anything above .850 seems to be a near lock assuming no serious injuries down the stretch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ellsbury's OPS is now.890:
    [QUOTE]This is amazing for a leadoff guy, his 19th home run is also unprecedented for a table setter these days.  Ricky Henderson is the last guy I can think of with this amount of power from the 1 hole.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Jacoby hasn't just silenced critics he has literally blown their thoughts out of the park this season.  I really hope Jacoby likes Boston enough to limit the damage Mr. Boras will try and inflict during contract negotiations.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

softylaw is hoping and hoping that somehow Ellsbury's stats will come down.  And that could happen.  But what kind of a fan roots for one of his team's players to do badly?  I have regularly castigated JD Drew, but I always want him to excel.  I had my doubts about Bill Hall, but loved it when he delivered. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

For the record, 2007 WS was Mikey Lowell all the way ... he killed ther ball all season too. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890:
    [QUOTE]softylaw is hoping and hoping that somehow Ellsbury's stats will come down.  And that could happen.  But what kind of a fan roots for one of his team's players to do badly?  I have regularly castigated JD Drew, but I always want him to excel.  I had my doubts about Bill Hall, but loved it when he delivered. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

max, I agree and also say certain things about Lackey and others people take the wrong way.  I always want our players to do well and don't personally dislike any of them.  There's nothing wrong with giving your honest opinion of a situation but softylaw takes things way too far.

I just think the guy likes attention any way he can get it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : Jacoby hasn't just silenced critics he has literally blown their thoughts out of the park this season.  I really hope Jacoby likes Boston enough to limit the damage Mr. Boras will try and inflict during contract negotiations.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

It is ultimately Jake's call but when any player signs on with Boras we all know what the answer is going to be unfortunately, do, re, mi of the highest order.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.898:
    [QUOTE]Nope, lying is popular for political dim wits. I said Varitek would be resigned, as a good ole boy.  last year is written off b/c of broken ribs. No, it's not "written off". It's very much written on. Take look at the official MLB stats for 2010. Moonslo, you aren't a very good liar. So you were embarrassed about Tampa going away. So you were wrong about Twins affording Mauer. So you were wrong about Ortiz needing to be benched this year v. lhp. Lies won't help you. Ellsbury has hit 19 HR in the last 2 seasons. I tell you dim wits what we should do. As Moonslow and I did on Tampa and this season, let's temper our Ellsbury doting and put down hard numbers for 2012 during Ellsbury's "prime years". hr 18 or less OBP .359 or less I will keep repeating these numbers for each poster, often enough to where they cannot be denied. Ram is on the record for 25 or more hr for 2012 and 2013 Ram is on the record for .370 or more OBP for 2012 and 2013.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

The soft one provides good "throne" reading material and then his drivel comes in handy when you need to "wipe"...softy, butt stupid is a tough way to go through life and you have elevated it to a new art form...congratulations...face   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]softylaw is hoping and hoping that somehow Ellsbury's stats will come down.  And that could happen.  But what kind of a fan roots for one of his team's players to do badly?  I have regularly castigated JD Drew, but I always want him to excel.  I had my doubts about Bill Hall, but loved it when he delivered. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
      And therein lies the problem: he clearly is not a true red sox fan and there is something very perverse in the desire to see someone fail on the field to bolster your own egotistical argument of "baseball statistical prophecies".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : It is ultimately Jake's call but when any player signs on with Boras we all know what the answer is going to be unfortunately, do, re, mi of the highest order.

I agree william, I'm just hoping Jacoby has what it takes to say "enough is enough" like Tek did after his Boras FA fiasco.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Because of how unusually great Ells season is for a leadoff hitter IMHO he now is the leading contender for AL MVP honors because of the rarity of his accomplishments primarily from the leadoff position.  Gonzo & Pedey are both having monster years as well but they in a sense cancel each other out and Pedey already has an MVP award on his resume'(not that that should disqualify him) Curtis Granderson and Ells should be the frontrunners. Granderson might score 140+ runs and will probably hit 40 home runs way beyond anything he has accomplished previously and without him the Yankees are 4 games out by now.  Ells will likely score 120+ drive in 95+ steal 45+ hit 35+ doubles  and 25+ home runs with a .300 batting average and an Ops above .835  Gonzo will have more chances in years to come.  His home run total is one thing that hurts him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Because of how unusually great Ells season is for a leadoff hitter IMHO he now is the leading contender for AL MVP honors because of the rarity of his accomplishments primarily from the leadoff position.  Gonzo & Pedey are both having monster years as well but they in a sense cancel each other out and Pedey already has an MVP award on his resume'(not that that should disqualify him) Curtis Granderson and Ells should be the frontrunners. Granderson might score 140+ runs and will probably hit 40 home runs way beyond anything he has accomplished previously and without him the Yankees are 4 games out by now.  Ells will likely score 120+ drive in 95+ steal 45+ hit 35+ doubles  and 25+ home runs with a .300 batting average and an Ops above .835  Gonzo will have more chances in years to come.  His home run total is one thing that hurts him.

william, a month ago I was all over Ells getting the "comeback player award" and Adrian MVP but Adrian has since cooled a bit so Ells may have a chance.  I know Adrian is still having a monster season and leading the league in batting but there is always a chance for Ells.

This might be bad to say but I almost hope Adrian gets the MVP so Boras doesn't have any more leverage than he already does in the Ells negotiations.

With that said I'm still happy as a pig in s--t Pede, Ells and Adrian are all on our team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : I agree william, I'm just hoping Jacoby has what it takes to say "enough is enough" like Tek did after his Boras FA fiasco.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]I hope you're not comparing Jacoby Ellsbury, who will be 30 years old when he becomes a free agent, to Jason Varitek, who was 37 years old when he declined arbitration following the 2008 season.

A better comp might be Jayson Werth, who was 31 years old when Scott Boras secured a seven-year, $126 million contract from the Washington Nationals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Lost in all of the Moon vs Softy back and forth is the simple fact that Ellsbury has always been a very good ball player who when he was called up in 2007 showed glipses of what we see today. He worked hard to improve, has made the nessasary adjustments at the plate and is now the prototype leadoff guy the Sox envisioned when the drafted him and has steadilty improved is routes on balls in center, to almost a gold glove level!

The flaw in Softy's pretend game is that he refuses to even consider that concept that young players do have the ability to improve.

That said, entering the 2008 season with the CF job his for the taking, Ell's struggled from the leadoff spot. In particular catching up to fastballs in on his hands, due to his inside out approach, pitchers pounded him inside, challenged him in the zone and then when they got ahead, expanded the zone on the outer half. As a result, he struggled to improve his OBP, hard to walk when the pitchers are throwing strikes and challenging you in the zone. So in the offseason of 08" he worked hard to close the hole, learned to turn on the inside pitch and his power numbers and OBP have seen a steady increase since...It's called making an adjustement, the good one do, the AAAA guys can't...

The reason he was "benched" in 2008 or more acurately platooned had more to do with Crisp's gold glove play in center and Francona's desire to get him playing time, than Ellsbury's lack of ability. The reason he was dropped in the lineup in both 08 and the beggining of 09' had to do with the above!

What none of us know is what might have been had he not been injured and played in only 18 games in 2010, my guess is that he would've posted numbers similar to this years a year in which he's putting it all together as he arrives in his prime.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : I hope you're not comparing Jacoby Ellsbury, who will be 30 years old when he becomes a free agent, to Jason Varitek, who was 37 years old when he declined arbitration following the 2008 season. A better comp might be Jayson Werth, who was 31 years old when Scott Boras secured a seven-year, $126 million contract from the Washington Nationals.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I wasn't hill, all I meant was if Boras becomes too difficult then hopefully Jacoby will go with his instinct like Tek did.  Hopefully that means resigning with the Sox for a reasonable amount like Youk, Pede and others.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I think Jayson Werth money is the starting point.  If he stays healthy and continues to perform like this his contract will dwarf Werth's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I think Jayson Werth money is the starting point.  If he stays healthy and continues to perform like this his contract will dwarf Werth's.

william, I'm not sure at this point what Jacoby may be worth on the open market but we both know Boras will try his best to exaggerate it.  Boras and the Yankees have taken advantage of baseballs flaws for years. 

With that said I still blame MLB/Selig for what baseball has become, not those who know how to take advantage of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : william, I'm not sure at this point what Jacoby may be worth on the open market but we both know Boras will try his best to exaggerate it.  Boras and the Yankees have taken advantage of baseballs flaws for years.  With that said I still blame MLB/Selig for what baseball has become, not those who know how to take advantage of it.

Or Marvin Miller who maybe fought too succesfully for the player's.  In any case the MLB player's union is the wealthiest and most succesful in the history of the world so if you are a player you have to love Marvin Miller!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : I wasn't hill, all I meant was if Boras becomes too difficult then hopefully Jacoby will go with his instinct like Tek did.  Hopefully that means resigning with the Sox for a reasonable amount like Youk, Pede and others.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]Does anybody know if Tek with his "instinct" and not the best offer. After the 2008 season it was pretty clear that the RS were the only offer. And after the 2004 season nobody ever really wrote about any other team being in on Varitek. Jason was a guy whose value was highest to the RS both times and for all Boras likes to create a bidding environment there wasn't much of one because the RS made such a strong offer in 2004 and in 2008 the draft picks needed to be surrendered to sign Tek completely shut off bidding.

And further the relationship between Varitek and the RS and local media was radically different.

Not much to compare between the two aside frm the fact they have the same agent. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : william, I'm not sure at this point what Jacoby may be worth on the open market but we both know Boras will try his best to exaggerate it.  Boras and the Yankees have taken advantage of baseballs flaws for years.  With that said I still blame MLB/Selig for what baseball has become, not those who know how to take advantage of it.
    And teams will do their best of minimize Jacoby Ellsbury's worth ... that's the nature of negotiations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : Does anybody know if Tek with his "instinct" and not the best offer. After the 2008 season it was pretty clear that the RS were the only offer. And after the 2004 season nobody ever really wrote about any other team being in on Varitek. Jason was a guy whose value was highest to the RS both times and for all Boras likes to create a bidding environment there wasn't much of one because the RS made such a strong offer in 2004 and in 2008 the draft picks needed to be surrendered to sign Tek completely shut off bidding. And further the relationship between Varitek and the RS and local media was radically different. Not much to compare between the two aside frm the fact they have the same agent. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

fivekatz,

Players like Jacoby and Tek choose Boras as an agent for a reason.  The reason being is he will demand insane money for their services.  This alone probably puts any Boras client in the class of "greedy" or possibly believing they are worth more like Tek did.

Tek was offered 10mil and Boras convinced him that wasn't enough.  As a result Tek got 5mil after comming back to the only team that would even pay that for his services.  Jacoby has much more value than Tek did and will get some nice offers but probably nothing close to what Boras demands.  We should find out more about Jacoby's intensions and personality during this process.  Hopefully he chooses to stay in Boston like Pede and Youk instead of dealing with the nonsense Boras puts everyone through.

Thats all I'm trying to say!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from softybabe. Show softybabe's posts

Sell high on Ellsbury NOW!!!! he's an injury prone selfish player having a career year.  Theo would be wise to pick up a RH outfielder.....like Matt Kemp.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : fivekatz, Players like Jacoby and Tek choose Boras as an agent for a reason.  The reason being is he will demand insane money for their services.  This alone probably puts any Boras client in the class of "greedy" or possibly believing they are worth more like Tek did. Tek was offered 10mil and Boras convinced him that wasn't enough.  As a result Tek got 5mil after comming back to the only team that would even pay that for his services.  Jacoby has much more value than Tek did and will get some nice offers but probably nothing close to what Boras demands.  We should find out more about Jacoby's intensions and personality during this process.  Hopefully he chooses to stay in Boston like Pede and Youk instead of dealing with the nonsense Boras puts everyone through. Thats all I'm trying to say!

I don't know many people who don't want to get paid as much as possible.

VTek and ARod had circus rides with Bora$$, but most sign quietly for the max.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ellsbury's OPS is now.890 : fivekatz, Players like Jacoby and Tek choose Boras as an agent for a reason.  The reason being is he will demand insane money for their services.  This alone probably puts any Boras client in the class of "greedy" or possibly believing they are worth more like Tek did. Tek was offered 10mil and Boras convinced him that wasn't enough.  As a result Tek got 5mil after comming back to the only team that would even pay that for his services.  Jacoby has much more value than Tek did and will get some nice offers but probably nothing close to what Boras demands.  We should find out more about Jacoby's intensions and personality during this process.  Hopefully he chooses to stay in Boston like Pede and Youk instead of dealing with the nonsense Boras puts everyone through. Thats all I'm trying to say!
    When was Jason Varitek offered $10 million?

Varitek reportedly turned down an offer of arbitration, which could have resulted in a non-guaranteed contract for an unknown amount.

Many players have benefited from the "nonsense" of Scott Boras. You can't expect a player to display a highly competitive nature on the field but not at the negotiating table.

The Red Sox could seek a hometown discount while Ellsbury demands a hometown bonus based on his established good will among Red Sox fans, the vast majority of whom revere Ellsbury.