Ellsbury's phony baloney single yesterday in the 5th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury's phony baloney single yesterday in the 5th

You remember, a weak grounder to the 2d baseman.  Horrible swing at a low pitch, just hoping to make contact.  Really bad. 

Except that it was in fact a hit and got him on base, then a stolen base, then scoring on Victorino's double to break the tie, 3-3.   Oakland's starter, Anderson, was a lefty with a nasty slider that had Ellsbury buffaloed, so I think he just tried to make contact hoping something might happen rather than a good swing and probably missing.  This was not a big deal, but was the kind of thing other players (like Vic) have been doing all season (short as it is so far) to keep the Sox in games.  In the 4th Ortiz hit one off the wall which many times has led to opposing players getting thrown out at 2d, and in this case the Oakland leftfielder made a good throw, but Ortiz still got there safely, barely.  Nice.  Lester was going nuts out there with the ump not calling the corners, but he hung in, sort of, long enough to go 5 2/3.  Napoli, Pedroia, and Drew have yet to make an error. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Ellsbury's phony baloney single yesterday in the 5th

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

You remember, a weak grounder to the 2d baseman.  Horrible swing at a low pitch, just hoping to make contact.  Really bad. 

Except that it was in fact a hit and got him on base, then a stolen base, then scoring on Victorino's double to break the tie, 3-3.   Oakland's starter, Anderson, was a lefty with a nasty slider that had Ellsbury buffaloed, so I think he just tried to make contact hoping something might happen rather than a good swing and probably missing.  This was not a big deal, but was the kind of thing other players (like Vic) have been doing all season (short as it is so far) to keep the Sox in games.  In the 4th Ortiz hit one off the wall which many times has led to opposing players getting thrown out at 2d, and in this case the Oakland leftfielder made a good throw, but Ortiz still got there safely, barely.  Nice.  Lester was going nuts out there with the ump not calling the corners, but he hung in, sort of, long enough to go 5 2/3.  Napoli, Pedroia, and Drew have yet to make an error. 

Ells is doing a lot of other things well but doesn't appear to be driving the ball like in 2011 before losing a lot of time.  When I look at some of the hitters on our club hitting 100 to 200 I think we have much worse weaknesses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

(short as it is so far)

Yes, it's a long season. S. Drew and Napoli can't get many scored errors because they have the range of a statue.

Ortiz will do well if the seaosn is only 40 to 60 games.

It is a tough day for Softy. Sox keep winning, and they cut bait with Aceves. Is there anyone you like on the team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

This thread is baloney

Yeah? well according to what some poster have told me, your full of baloney Mr. Halo vet. You got zero credibility with me now kid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Going 5 2/3 IP, 3 ER isn't great and I would have liked to have seen him get that last out in the sixth to 6 IP, 3 ER. But last year, this could have been a 4 IP, 6 ER type of game. He was able to keep it together on a night when the umpires were squeezing both pitchers a bit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Going 5 2/3 IP, 3 ER isn't great and I would have liked to have seen him get that last out in the sixth to 6 IP, 3 ER. But last year, this could have been a 4 IP, 6 ER type of game. He was able to keep it together on a night when the umpires were squeezing both pitchers a bit.

To me, last night's game was the prime indicator of Lester having turned the page on 2012.  Easy to pitch when you have Jonny's stuff and everything is going right ... which had been the season to date 'til last night.  Much harder when you don't have your good stuff and/or an ump is squeezing you like he's a toddler with a juice box.  Last year Jon folds up, gives up on certain pitches and gets hammered.  Sure, would have been great to get out of the sixth.  But he battled hard.  giving up 6 bbs and still managing to minimize the damage, thats the stuff you have to do as the anchor of a staff.  Its not just about the good nights.  Lester is back!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Ells is doing a lot of other things well but doesn't appear to be driving the ball like in 2011 before losing a lot of time.  When I look at some of the hitters on our club hitting 100 to 200 I think we have much worse weaknesses.

craze4sox, I agree on the weaknesses, but do think things will improve.  Meanwhile, just about everyone seems to be trying to find ways to help win games.  No way did I ever think Ellsbury would have 10 steals (and no CS's) at this point.  Or that Victorino would already have several very good plays in RF plus a pretty good OBP.  And so on. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As Oakland A's GM, Billy Beane would say, "As long as he gets on base."     :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

(short as it is so far)

Yes, it's a long season. S. Drew and Napoli can't get many scored errors because they have the range of a statue.

Actually, most errors are the result of fairly straightforward plays badly executed.  When a fielder has to extend himself, the scorer usually calls it a hit.  Ellsbury and Bradley both got errors on fairly routine plays.  Salty's overthrow on the guy stealing second was pretty routine. 

I'm pretty sure Napoli has more range than AGon did (because AGon is in fact not very quick), and he has not only made every play, he has picked up a lot of throws in the dirt which would have been errors charged to the other infielders. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In 2011, it took a couple/few weeks for ellsbury to get any stroke, never mind his power stroke going.  Goes without saying, he got that reverse-pivot locked in thereafter.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

(short as it is so far)

Actually, most errors are the result of fairly straightforward plays badly executed.  When a fielder has to extend himself, the scorer usually calls it a hit.  Ellsbury and Bradley both got errors on fairly routine plays.  Salty's overthrow on the guy stealing second was pretty routine. 

I'm pretty sure Napoli has more range than AGon did (because AGon is in fact not very quick), and he has not only made every play, he has picked up a lot of throws in the dirt which would have been errors charged to the other infielders. 

I saw a clip the other day of Agon not even attempting to dive for a ball down the line that looked as if he had a shot at it. Naps made an outstanding diving stop that aceves blew. Drew has made a number of great defensive plays. Sorry, but Im not seeing a lot of plays that Iggy would have made that Drew didnt. A couple, maybe...But thats it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

(short as it is so far)

It is a tough day for Softy. Sox keep winning, and they cut bait with Aceves. Is there anyone you like on the team?

he once said he liked WMB which is why you never see him talk about hi bad season so far

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I think Ellsbury has had a decent contact rate so far this year ( 90% ) and with his speed I'm pretty confident he will b a .360 or above OBP guy again. And his defense has been as good as it was in 2011. If he goes on a hot streak he can easily zoom up the charts especially in terms of average. He should be a plus 4-5 WAR guy who is worth $20 mil in value this year according to Fangraphs. If he does that both we and Boras will be very happy.

HR often come in bunches. Let's hope that aspect of his game comes together as well but even if it doesn't he should be of excellent value to this team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I think Ellsbury has had a decent contact rate so far this year ( 90% ) and with his speed I'm pretty confident he will b a .360 or above OBP guy again. And his defense has been as good as it was in 2011. If he goes on a hot streak he can easily zoom up the charts especially in terms of average. He should be a plus 4-5 WAR guy who is worth $20 mil in value this year according to Fangraphs. If he does that both we and Boras will be very happy.

HR often come in bunches. Let's hope that aspect of his game comes together as well but even if it doesn't he should be of excellent value to this team.

If he doesnt come close to 30HR, theres no way he gets 20M per. Gotta hit the long ball for that kind of $$ IMO. Crawford was extremely lucky that Theo and Co. had a momentary lapse of reason.

If he continues with the SB, good defense and good OBP (.370+) a .300BA and around 10ish HR, he could get BJ Upton type money. 15-17M per for 5yrs (someone will probably go longer in years)...I could see around a 100M deal for Ells.

I could be totally off, but if those were his numbers thats the most I would offer. If his power numbers are close to 2011, then hes worth more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To remind:  the intent of the OP was to show how everyone is contributing, even Ellsbury.   

As for Ellsbury, I doubt he will get anywhere near 32 dingers this year and expect around 10, maybe even 15.  Of course, I also thought he was through stealing bases.  What is already obvious is he is feeling good and expecting to have a good season.  In 2011 his OPS was over .900.  This year, I think around .800, possibly as high as .850.  I think his value to the Red Sox goes down as Bradley's value (read hitting) goes up and assuming Victorino stays healthy and Nava continues to hit around .900 OPS, which would be amazing.  Nava is currently around 1.000 OPS.  One big plus for Ellsbury--he is comfortable in Boston and likes playing here.  He is still likely to leave, but is at least a known quantity. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

(short as it is so far)

I'm pretty sure Napoli has more range than AGon did (because AGon is in fact not very quick), and he has not only made every play, he has picked up a lot of throws in the dirt which would have been errors charged to the other infielders

IMO this is one of the best attributes a 1B can have.  When he picks throws out of the dirt the rest of the infield doesn't have to think about their throws, they can just make them instinctively.  That always results in better throws on future plays.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sox are 9-4 with Drew at SS.

Sox are 5-2 with Ortiz at DH.

Oops, my bad. Sox are 4-1 with Papi at DH. 

Just trying to stick with the facts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Who leads major league baseball in at bats?

Who leads the league in steals?

Who leads the league in triples,

Who's 12th in runs and hits?

Yeah... Ells.

Are you guys fans?  If so, go root for somebody else...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Wozzy, Ells is also leading the Sox in hits and, amazingly enough, is second on the Sox in total bases.  But that's not the real point.  What the OP tries to say is that Ellsbury is also busting his buns to find ways to help win games.  That phoney baloney single happened when the game was tied and Lester was struggling a little, partly because of the ump and partly because of his own control problems.  But now the game was tied thanks to other guys in the lineup, so Ellsbury just wanted to get on base to maybe help make a difference.  I think just about everybody else on this team feels the same way at the plate, in the field, and on the mound.  Like a bunch of Pedroias. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Wozzy, Ells is also leading the Sox in hits and, amazingly enough, is second on the Sox in total bases.  But that's not the real point.  What the OP tries to say is that Ellsbury is also busting his buns to find ways to help win games.  That phoney baloney single happened when the game was tied and Lester was struggling a little, partly because of the ump and partly because of his own control problems.  But now the game was tied thanks to other guys in the lineup, so Ellsbury just wanted to get on base to maybe help make a difference.  I think just about everybody else on this team feels the same way at the plate, in the field, and on the mound.  Like a bunch of Pedroias. 

Small ball is why this team is in first place in the east, so if you were saying it is a good thing than I have to agree, also I posted Jacoby's stats in comparison with all of MLB which looks a lot more impressive.

Sections
Shortcuts