Ellsbury's Potential

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ellsbury's Potential

With the exception of being faster and having a slightly weaker arm, his ceiling might be Yaz.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

Re: Ellsbury's Potential

I was thinking the say hey kid. 28 years old less then 40 home runs, 200 rbis. (Oh brother) yaz 452 and 1844 whats next mantle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oh NOOOOooooooo !!!!

Now, another 2 years of softy rants based on this post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Ellsbury's Potential:
    With the exception of being faster and having a slightly weaker arm, his ceiling might be Yaz.
    Posted by nhsteven

So do you really think that, or were you just baiting Softy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

well a couple years ago, it was the ted williams comparison. I guess this is a little more reasonable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Johnny Pesky compared Jacoby to Ted, and softy acted like all of Red Sox Nation agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's Potential:
    In Response to Ellsbury's Potential : So do you really think that, or were you just baiting Softy?
    Posted by LloydDobler

He reminds me of Yaz. Others that come to mind are Kirk Gibson (but smaller), Jim Edmonds, Bobby Murcer, Brady Anderson, and Fred Lynn. A cut above might be Duke Snider, whom Lynn might have approached in stature if it wasn't for the injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I dunno....Yaz had several 40 HR seasons....I don't see Ellsbury doing that but on the other hand Jacoby can do things I haven't seen anyone else do for the Sox. His speed is a real weapon...on defense as well as on the base's. If he can keep doing what he is accomplishing this year for a few years that will make him pretty special in his own right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Yaz exceeded 21 HR in a season 4 times, the first at age 27.  Exceeded 40 2B twice, the last at age 25. Never got 200 hits in a season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Oh NOOOOooooooo !!!! Now, another 2 years of softy rants based on this post.
    Posted by moonslav59

As long as Ells doesn't get traded for Kemp.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I compared Jacoby to Damon back in '08 when pesky and a couple pink hats said Ted and started Softy off on his sad odessey of yearly ranting, unintelligent non-fact based teenage jealously, and spite filled psychotic drivel.

I said their career/primes would both be around .295/.365/.485 guys with 12-17 HR's a year, 70-85 RBI, 100-115 runs scored and 45-60 steals

Nailed it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Agreed Ram. The discussion with some of us was that he was on a Damon like career trajectory but that he started 2 years later so probably would end up a little short of Damon's career numbers. It is difficult to compare players when a guy like Yaz played over 20 years ( 22 maybe?). How many players have that kind of longevity? What about injuries? From his early numbers though, his minor league record, and his obvious physical ability it appeared to a lot of us that he could well be a special player.

I also thought he would develop some power and thought he wouldn't probably have Rickey Henderson longevity but that he would have some Ricky Henderson type years.  etc. The guy was stealing 50-70 bases with a high percentage of success. With 20 HR pop down the road maybe he would be putting up Henderson type numbers even if he could maintain his average and it appeared likely that he would improve his average at least in some years. Lou Brock was discussed also and of course laughed at by most here.

Of course no 2 careers are exactly the same and Ellsbury did start later than all these guys. That doesn't mean that their prime years wouldn't be comparable though. Lou Brock was caught stealing over 30% of the time and overall didn't have that much pop. Ellsbury has missed some time already and started several years later but can't we expect Lou Brock type numbers from his prime at this point? A lot of us were hopeful of that and thought it very possible even while at the time his comps were guys like Roberto Kelly.

You know the whole Pesky thing was just a very old guy who was relating a great young prospect to another one he saw 50-60 years ago. I don't think Pesky was projecting over 500 HR from Ellsbury but what he was trying to say is that his potential was extremely high and overall he was relatively correct in that. Someone asked him about Ellsbury's potential. He answered with one of the best players he ever played with. No way he thought Ellsbury was going to put up Williams numbers but he recognized early on that Ellsbury was a very special talent and what is wrong with that for an 80 year old plus guy? 

He who laughs last is very satisfied on this one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Ellsbury's Potential:
    Posted by nhsteven

I don't get it at all

''With the exception of being faster '' --LOL

isn't that the 1st thing ones thinks of when thinking about ells

and the last thing ......with yaz 

while johnny was on the sox

soxprospects called him the next johnny

let's go with that

B4 we waterdown what HOF like TW, yaz & ricky have accopmplished

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Ellsbury's Potential : I don't get it at all ''With the exception of being faster '' --LOL isn't that the 1st thing ones thinks of when thinking about ells and the last thing ......with yaz  while johnny was on the sox   soxprospects called him the next johnny let's go with that B4 we waterdown what HOF like TW, yaz & ricky have accopmplished
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Most of us remember the Yaz at the end of his career...Not the Yaz that was drafted out of HS on Long Island as a SS, who hit lefthanded, threw righthanded, no blazer but had pretty good speed and a very strong throwing arm, he's was also not the biggest guy either 6 ft 180 lbs.

When he arrived to take over Williams spot in left, he was a very good athlete, "4 1/2 tool guy", which is why he became the gold standard for leftfielder's during his prime. His reputation is that of a guy that was a master at playing the wall, but he was just as good playing left on the road...the 1/2 tool was his spped, he could run, but he wasn't in the elite class and in the late 50" and early 60' the stolen base wasn't a big part of the game to quote the great Mick..."If I'd have know that 40-40 was such I big deal I'd have done it years ago"...

Not sure what NH is doing aside from baiting our resident devil's advocate or just trying to have a little fun at every Sox fans expense. Too suggest that Ells is on par with Yaz or that there's even a remote similarity between thier games is to be uninformed, which I know that NHsteven is not. So until he comes on to "esplane" himself. I'll bite and in my opin if where talkin who Ellsbury profiles as I'd say he closer to Jerry Remy than Yaz but in all seriousness...I think that future HOFer Johhny on his way to "3000 hit" Damon is a more apt comparion...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Agreed Ram. The discussion with some of us was that he was on a Damon like career trajectory but that he started 2 years later so probably would end up a little short of Damon's career numbers. It is difficult to compare players when a guy like Yaz played over 20 years ( 22 maybe?). How many players have that kind of longevity? What about injuries? From his early numbers though, his minor league record, and his obvious physical ability it appeared to a lot of us that he could well be a special player. I also thought he would develop some power and thought he wouldn't probably have Rickey Henderson longevity but that he would have some Ricky Henderson type years.  etc. The guy was stealing 50-70 bases with a high percentage of success. With 20 HR pop down the road maybe he would be putting up Henderson type numbers even if he could maintain his average and it appeared likely that he would improve his average at least in some years. Lou Brock was discussed also and of course laughed at by most here. Of course no 2 careers are exactly the same and Ellsbury did start later than all these guys. That doesn't mean that their prime years wouldn't be comparable though. Lou Brock was caught stealing over 30% of the time and overall didn't have that much pop. Ellsbury has missed some time already and started several years later but can't we expect Lou Brock type numbers from his prime at this point? A lot of us were hopeful of that and thought it very possible even while at the time his comps were guys like Roberto Kelly. You know the whole Pesky thing was just a very old guy who was relating a great young prospect to another one he saw 50-60 years ago. I don't think Pesky was projecting over 500 HR from Ellsbury but what he was trying to say is that his potential was extremely high and overall he was relatively correct in that. Someone asked him about Ellsbury's potential. He answered with one of the best players he ever played with. No way he thought Ellsbury was going to put up Williams numbers but he recognized early on that Ellsbury was a very special talent and what is wrong with that for an 80 year old plus guy?  He who laughs last is very satisfied on this one.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Ellsbury has more power than Brock (With one exception; he is only one of 4 players in baseball history to hit a HR in the Polo Grounds CF bleachers, done vs the Mets, who inhabited this park after the Giants left - pre-Shea Stadium days - at least a 500 ft poke  - the others - Joe Adcock, Babe Ruth, and Hank Aaron)

----------------------------------

Brock made his major league debut with the Cubs on September 10, 1961 at the age of 21.[1] In his rookie season of 1962, Brock became one of four players to hit a home run into the center-field bleachers at the old Polo Grounds in New York since its 1923reconstruction.[2] His blast came against Al Jackson in the second game of a June 17 doubleheader against the New York Mets in the first of back-to-back games with a center-field home run, Hank Aaron accomplishing the feat the very next day. Joe Adcockwas the first to hit a ball over that wall, in 1953Babe Ruth reached the old bleachers (a comparable distance) before the reconstruction. He was not known as a power hitter, but he did display significant power from time to time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't see the Yaz comparison at all, other than both being good players for the Sox.  Totally different ballplayers.  Yaz could never touch Ellsbury's reverse-pivot.  Laughing

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Johnny Damon is a good comparison, and expect him to pull a JD on you in a couple years.
    Posted by Yankenstein2

Idiotic.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Johnny Damon is a good comparison, and expect him to pull a JD on you in a couple years.
    Posted by Yankenstein2
    perhaps you should define  "a couple of years", being that he is currently 7 years younger than Drew?....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by Yankenstein2
    ... and .. bury the Yankees in the ALCS?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yep he will be as good as Yaz and on a different team and we will be all that more disappointed with his replacement - Carl Crawford.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's Potential : ok... you got me there.
    Posted by Yankenstein2

Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I agree with Space, Ellsbury and Yaz are totally different players. I see Ellsbury more like Fred Lynn, but hopefully he'll stay healthier ... and in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think Damon is a better comparison than Lynn.....Lynn had a better arm and less speed than both of them and even he realizes that if he had remained in Boston his career numbers may have been HOF levels. Ells is putting up better numbers than I thought was possible for him, but he needs to do it over at least a few years before he could even be mentioned in the same sentence as YAZ

Sections
Shortcuts