Ellsbury's Potential

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Ellsbury's Potential

Maybe NH was on to something afterall...an excerp from Abraham's column today....

Jacoby Ellsbury
    is one home run away from becoming the first Red Sox with 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases since Nomar Garciaparra in 1997. Ellsbury needs one steal to tie Carl Yastrzemski for third place in franchise history with 168...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's Potential:
    I think Damon is a better comparison than Lynn.....Lynn had a better arm and less speed than both of them and even he realizes that if he had remained in Boston his career numbers may have been HOF levels. Ells is putting up better numbers than I thought was possible for him, but he needs to do it over at least a few years before he could even be mentioned in the same sentence as YAZ
    Posted by tomnev

The thread title includes the word potential.

Admittedly, his arm is a different story; but his swagger reminds me of him. Also, Yaz did not hit more than 20 Homers until his 7th yr (The Triple Crown Impossible Dream Season of '67 - Lonborg & Champagne, and unfortunately, the Tony C. beaning)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I think Damon is a better comparison than Lynn.....Lynn had a better arm and less speed than both of them and even he realizes that if he had remained in Boston his career numbers may have been HOF levels. Ells is putting up better numbers than I thought was possible for him, but he needs to do it over at least a few years before he could even be mentioned in the same sentence as YAZ
    Posted by tomnev

True that ... the Lynn comparison isn't perfect, but I think it's closer than Yaz. I was referring to his style more than production. Damon's a good comparison, too, though Ells is faster.
    Either way, we agree that the Yaz comparison doesn't work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's Potential : True that ... the Lynn comparison isn't perfect, but I think it's closer than Yaz. I was referring to his style more than production. Damon's a good comparison, too, though Ells is faster. Either way, we agree that the Yaz comparison doesn't work.
    Posted by LloydDobler

See my post on the other players with similarity to him; none are perfect fits, of course; when Mantle first came up, he was compared to DiMaggio; actually, that was pretty far fatched too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Ellsbury's Potential : The thread title includes the word potential.
    Posted by nhsteven

I understand where you were going with it NH and it is an interesting discussion especially if it riles up some of the regular posters. I just think we have modified our view of what Ells potential is based on what he is doing this year(before this year no one would have compared him to Yaz potential wise), so I think we need to see more to even think he has the potential for that type of career.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yaz comparison is pathetic. But the stat about 20-20 and Nomar being the last...in 1997....amazing. anytime you have a statistical mark that can't be achieved for some 14 to 15 years that says something. I hope he continues to shine. Go Ells!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I just don't see the comparison of Yaz to Ells at all. Does not make sense on so many levels. Ells is my favorite Red Sox player, and I am so enjoying his "comeback" year, but it really is too early to make any relevant comparisons at this point. I am just going to enjoy "this" year and hope he continues to evolve upward and with the Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts