EMBARASSMENT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

EMBARASSMENT

I was one of the (un)lucky ones that attended yesterday's debacle at the "old" ball field.

Here are some of the embarassments I felt as I left the park in disgust during the 8th inning Yankee onslaught:

1) The bullpen - escruciating to watch again...led by Vicente Padilla, Matt Albers & Alfredo "trust me" Aceves.

2) Pink hat fans - I left before this happened, but they sang Sweet Caroline "SO GOOD, SO GOOD, SO GOOD - from the ashes of the Yankees 14 run beating in the 7th and 8th innings and the disappearance of a 9 run lead  - How could any true Sox fan sing at that time??

3) The Red Sox organization - It has become apparent that celebrating Fenway's 100th year has more priority than the players who play on it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: EMBARASSMENT

In Response to EMBARASSMENT:
    [QUOTE]I was one of the (un)lucky ones that attended yesterday's debacle at the "old" ball field. Here are some of the embarassments I felt as I left the park in disgust during the 8th inning Yankee onslaught: 1) The bullpen - escruciating to watch again...led by Vicente Padilla, Matt Albers & Alfredo "trust me" Aceves. 2) Pink hat fans - I left before this happened, but they sang Sweet Caroline "SO GOOD, SO GOOD, SO GOOD - from the ashes of the Yankees 14 run beating in the 7th and 8th innings and the disappearance of a 9 run lead  - How could any true Sox fan sing at that time?? 3) The Red Sox organization - It has become apparent that celebrating Fenway's 100th year has more priority than the players who play on it.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]
    I think criticizing the singing is a little rough. You do it as part of being at the ballgame.  As a Yankee fan, I hate Sweet Caroline but it's part of the scene at Fenway, if the Yanks had imploded at home it wouldn't stop me from singing take me out to the ballgame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's no longer a ball park

It's now the "Place to be seen"

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: EMBARASSMENT:
    [QUOTE]It's no longer a ball park It's now the "Place to be seen"
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

As an outsider I don't feel that way.  I love the new Yankee Stadium it has so many bells and whistles and I almost inevitably end up at NYY Steak during some part of the game to have a drink BUT Fenway is a totally different experience.  I've been up there many times and it is throwback baseball to me, there is no Steakhouse or really trendy cool bars to hangout at.  When I am there I am in my seat the whole game, I admit while at Yankee Stadium I am not, unless its a big game.  I tend to roam around and watch the game from centerfield under the Mohegan Sun Sports bar or stop at NYY Steak and a few other favorite spots after a few innings in my seat.  Fenway is fun to me and it is more purist, also I think the Fenway Frank is the best hot dog in baseball.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

always disliked that sappy song...can anyone tell me how this "tradition" was started?

dumb

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMBARASSMENT : so a new stadium is bad because you don't have the attention span to stay in your comfortable seat when there are all these luxurious amenities available that you could choose to partake in, or not to partake in.    You'd rather be shoehorned in a seat at Fenway facing the the wrong way and having no amenities to choose from.  Very whiney about a great situation you have -- you'd fit in great on the current Sox roster.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not whining and I fully admit that I like watching baseball on TV more than from my seat because I can see how the pitchers are throwing better.  You can't do that from the upper levels or from the field level down in right field.  At Yankee Stadium there are TV's literally everywhere you go in all the bars and restaurants and in the concourses so you don't miss the game on your way to them.  I stay at my seat during big games, I was at my seat for Jeter's 3000th and as well as for Red Sox games and playoff games but in other instances I roam around.  I'm not saying I'd rather be in an old ballpark like Fenway because I wouldn't, I can't I'm too used to Yankee Stadium now.  I was just saying how I appreciate Fenway and Wrigley too for that matter.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I seem to recall it starting in in 2003 - my guess it was Kevin Millar

That song is more strong evidence that going to Fenway is no longer about baseball; it's now "the place to be seen" (or to say you are going or went there)......

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]It's no longer a ball park It's now the "Place to be seen"
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

True; but also true for other venues. Generally speaking, it is no longer for the fans, but for the wealthy so they can brag at their next cocktail party.

Sections
Shortcuts