End of season thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

End of season thoughts

I agree we need Lackey out of our rotation.  It was a bad move so just trade him and absorb what ever losses come with it.  You could see it throughout our lineup the second half.  Lackey, Wake, Miller, Weiland and our pen just took the life right out of our fans and offense.  We either fell way behind or gave the lead right back when our offense did catch up or go ahead.  It had to be a defeating feeling as a hitterWith that said, it doesn't excuse the poor play of guys like Crawford, Lowrie, Drew and McDon most of the year, or the fact Theo waited so long to seek help.

Youk is a fixture who could be traded because 3B will shorten his career but who plays 3B Aviles or Lowrie?  Packaging Youk could bring us a starting pitcher or full time RF in my opinion.  Other players like McDon, Wake, Lackey, Miller, Doubront, Albers, Jenks  Tazawa, Lowrie, Aviles, Reddick, Kalish, Tek, Salty and possibly even Bard or Pap could also be part of a package.  Felix Hernandez, Matt Kemp and CJ Wilson would be my primary targets if they become available.  I would even entertain a move that has both Salty and Tek replaced with Y. Molina and Lavarnway.  Tek or Salty with Lavarnway is more likely.

Theo and/or Tito
    need to take accountability, if they end up staying.  We need smarter moves that may prevent this season from happening again.  Tito needs to make sure our players are in top physical condition and not just skipping that part of their regiment, we have had a ridiculous amount of injuries.  Tito also needs to make smarter tactical decisions to keep us close in games.  Our medical staff also needs to be addressed.  There have been too many undetected or mis diagnosed injuries the past two years.  Curt Young should probably be fired, I didn't feel he was the right fit.

Scutaro showed me a lot of heart and deserves another year if it doesn't cause a cluster of players at SS.  I feel the same about Papi "but not long term" so Youk could be a possibility at DH if David leaves.  Drew should be gone, along with a few pitchers in the pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

Re: End of season thoughts

In Response to End of season thoughts:
    I agree we need Lackey out of our rotation.   It was a bad move so just trade him and absorb what ever losses come with it.  You could see it throughout our lineup the second half.  Lackey, Wake, Miller, Weiland and our pen just took the life right out of our fans and offense.  We either fell way behind or gave the lead right back when our offense did catch up or go ahead.  It had to be a defeating feeling as a hitter .  With that said, it doesn't excuse the poor play of guys like Crawford, Lowrie, Drew and McDon most of the year, or the fact Theo waited so long to seek help. Youk is a fixture who could be traded because 3B will shorten his career but who plays 3B Aviles or Lowrie?  Packaging Youk could bring us a starting pitcher or full time RF in my opinion.  Other players like McDon, Wake, Lackey, Miller, Doubront, Albers, Jenks  Tazawa, Lowrie, Aviles, Reddick, Kalish, Tek, Salty and possibly even Bard or Pap could also be part of a package.  Felix Hernandez, Matt Kemp and CJ Wilson would be my primary targets if they become available.  I would even entertain a move that has both Salty and Tek replaced with Y. Molina and Lavarnway.  Tek or Salty with Lavarnway is more likely. Theo and/or Tito need to take accountability, if they end up staying.  We need smarter moves that may prevent this season from happening again.  Tito needs to make sure our players are in top physical condition and not just skipping that part of their regiment, we have had a ridiculous amount of injuries.  Tito also needs to make smarter tactical decisions to keep us close in games.  Our medical staff also needs to be addressed .  There have been too many undetected or mis diagnosed injuries the past two years.  Curt Young should probably be fired, I didn't feel he was the right fit. Scutaro showed me a lot of heart and deserves another year if it doesn't cause a cluster of players at SS.  I feel the same about Papi "but not long term" so Youk could be a possibility at DH if David leaves.  Drew should be gone, along with a few pitchers in the pen.
    Posted by craze4sox

You sucked in the end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

They need to post these up around Fenway for emergency purposes....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

I agree conceptually, but would keep the following in addition to Ells, and Pedy:
    dubront, reddick, kalish, salty bard, aviles, and lavarnway. and probably Scutero. 

Yes, I would trade Youk.  If Arroyo is available, sign him.  Sell lacky's contract to Japan!  Connor Jackson may be a keeper too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to Re: End of season thoughts:
    I agree conceptually, but would keep the following in addition to Ells, and Pedy: dubront, reddick, kalish, salty bard, aviles, and lavarnway. and probably Scutero.  Yes, I would trade Youk.  If Arroyo is available, sign him.  Sell lacky's contract to Japan!  Connor Jackson may be a keeper too.
    Posted by REBEL

Arroyo? It was a mistake to trade him for the craptastic Willy Mo a bunch of yrs ago....but he is garbage now. Reddick, Kalish, Doubront, Bard, and Lavarnway arent going anywhere because they are all on the rookie contracts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

get rid of ortiz and make youk the dh. I think we may have to stick with crawford, unloading him will mean picking up too much of his salary.

I am not sure about lackey, there are not a lot of pitchers out there.   He can eat up innings and as we saw again this year, we can never have enough pitching,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

get rid of ortiz and make youk the dh. I think we may have to stick with crawford, unloading him will mean picking up too much of his salary. I am not sure about lackey, there are not a lot of pitchers out there.   He can eat up innings and as we saw again this year, we can never have enough pitching,
    Posted by jackbu

Why is everyone so down on Ortiz? I cant understand it.....he is a great offensive player, look at the numbers. Trade Youk, or keep him at 3B. JUST eating innings doesnt mean anything.....you need to eat innings and still be quality, a 7.00 ERA is not quality. Lackey is a great reason why guaranteed contracts are a joke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

All this overhaul the roster stuff is non sense, mostly because of the contracts.  Youk is a tough trade at 13 million and coming off injury, probably let him play out 2012 and then don't pick up the option.  Lackey isn't going anywhere because they are not going to eat 50+ million of his contract and no one else will want him.  Same applies for Crawford, and regardless of your opinion on Crawford, it makes 0 business sense to bail on the guy after 1 year.  You don't sign a guy to a 7 year deal if you're willing to give up on him after 1.

It is sad to think that Papi's last act in Boston might be a tapper to the catcher that failed to produce what might have been a game sealing runner from 3rd, with 0 outs.  There are not too many teams who are financially able to pay a DH 25 million for 2 years, so if that is the Red Sox offer it might be the best he gets.

Papelbon is the toughest one.  It is hard to read what the demand for him will be in free agency.  He was really good this year, so I think the Red Sox have to make an honest effort to retain him but as we know, they love to lowball their own guys after they overpay for FA.  So we'll see.

Becekett, Lester, Clay, Lackey, Dice K//Miller/_____ is the 2012 rotation.  Get used to it.  And _______ is a 5th starter quality/salary guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

pitching...only focus we should have

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

pitching...only focus we should have
    Posted by sday4x4

Agreed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Question: If the Red Sox eat Lackey's contract, do they claim a "gain" or a loss on their 2011 tax return?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

How much is Theo Epstein praying the Red Sox let him go to the Cubs???  He'd get out of Boston and not be accountable for the mess he made.  I say don't fire him, demote him...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whose_calling. Show whose_calling's posts

Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke* Choke*

* Unless Videotaped
    (might want to ask the cheater BB for some help with this)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

You re right that pitching need to be fix.  Lackey is going to stay.  He can move from top to bottom of the rotation depending how well he pitch from month to month.  If Dice K is that horrible in the past 6 years, but still since he have been a #5 pitcher in the rotation at the same time he still won more games than he lost.  I rather to see a guy like him than having Bedard/Miller/Wakefield or etc losing more games than winning games!!  But I know people would say he is over-paid.  There are alot of overpaid players anyway

Heck no way that Boston is going to get CJ Wilson, Felix the King, CC Sabathia, etc all at the same time.  If Boston is smart, just sign two healthy starting pitchers who never have medical problem such as Edwin Jackson, etc cuz they are alot cheaper combined than getting just one top prize pitcher.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardout. Show hardout's posts

I think Carl will improve nest year.  However, if Youk & David returns to near form Carl will be the 6th beat offensive player on the team.  [Both Youk & David are clearly on the downward side and you can’t have to key players in that position.]  He will bat low in the order where his talent will not be maximized.  He will not be as productive offensively or defensively as JD was.  He is a great athlete with limited plate discipline and no real baseball instincts. His lack of plate discipline creates an overmatch with good pitchers that can control the right side of the plate against him.  I love Carl but he is not going to produce more than JD did.  Theo miss cast both JD & Carl plus others here.   

Theo jumps for the big bang free agent and misses the team concept.  Pence would have been a much better pursuit for Theo than Carl was or will be. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Crawford's contract increases by $5.5M in 2012.
    A-Gon's contract increases by $10.5M in 2012
    Pedroia's contract increases by $2.5M in 2012.

Ellbury will win a very sizeable amount in arbitration for the year he had.
    Papelbon will want more money or he leaves.

Losing Drew's contract won't put much of a dent on the payroll and John Henry is not interested in paying a luxury tax by going out and signing free agents.    He's also not in business to lose money and will not eat any of Lackey's contract that expires after the 2014 season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

In Response to Re: End of season thoughts : Why is everyone so down on Ortiz? I cant understand it.....he is a great offensive player, look at the numbers. Trade Youk, or keep him at 3B. JUST eating innings doesnt mean anything.....you need to eat innings and still be quality, a 7.00 ERA is not quality. Lackey is a great reason why guaranteed contracts are a joke.
    Posted by gbman87603

Papi's number are fattened up by garbage time meaningless hits in those 14-5 games.
    The former clutch hitter is a dud at crunch time, like last night. Man on third no outs and he hits a dribbler. Papi can't run, and he still has the attitude like it is 2004-2007 and he is a superstar.
    What he is today is another entitled spoiled overrated millionaire. 
    Dump him for a young hungry player.

Sections
Shortcuts