Engaging Bill Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Engaging Bill Lee

"With the owners getting millions from TV contracts, why do the fans have to pay outrageous prices at the ballparks?"

"Because fans are dumb. Buy a six-pack. Watch it at home.
    Hell, do it with me. Then you get good color commentary and you don'thave to listen to Remy. What does a middle infielder know about pitching?".

"Are present-day ballplayers justified in getting multi-year multi-million dollar contracts?"

No. If you put too many carrots in front of the horse, he won't work. He'll just sit there and eat".

"Why did they trade you?"

"Because they thought I was finished. And they had to make payroll. Actually, that's why they got rid of Carbo. When we got rid of Carbo, we were up 14 games up on the Yankees. I lost 4 tough games and was demoted".

In case any of you missed this:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/07/chat_with_forme.html

There'll never be another like him.  Never.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: Engaging Bill Lee

I'd take him as color commentator in a heartbeat and never miss a game!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Engaging Bill Lee:
    [QUOTE]"With the owners getting millions from TV contracts, why do the fans have to pay outrageous prices at the ballparks?" "Because fans are dumb. Buy a six-pack. Watch it at home. Hell, do it with me. Then you get good color commentary and you don'thave to listen to Remy. What does a middle infielder know about pitching?". "Are present-day ballplayers justified in getting multi-year multi-million dollar contracts?" No. If you put too many carrots in front of the horse, he won't work. He'll just sit there and eat". "Why did they trade you?" "Because they thought I was finished. And they had to make payroll. Actually, that's why they got rid of Carbo. When we got rid of Carbo, we were up 14 games up on the Yankees. I lost 4 tough games and was demoted". In case any of you missed this: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/07/chat_with_forme.html There'll never be another like him.  Never.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Shaking my head laughing ...

That was painful ...

Where's that guy who says he's something about the truth?  Bill Lee is HONEST if not correct.  Whew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Engaging Bill Lee:
    [QUOTE]I'd take him as color commentator in a heartbeat and never miss a game!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. He'd put ECK to shame! But they'd have to filter Lee as they do Wells...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You would have to have your finger on the 8 sec delay button..Eck had one slip up..How many would Lee have before NESN said OK enough? It would be entertaining if anything..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh man, Lee as a color commentator?!? He'd be more interesting than half the games themselves! But eventually, he'd say something like he wasn't sad to see Steinbrenner die or call A-Rod a deebag and get suspended.

Still ... I'd love it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Have any of you ever spent time with Bill Lee, say 5 separate occasions (2 in Lowell, 3 in Burlington VT) for at least 30 minutes each? Do any of you have him chattering on about life on your own home video recording? I think not. 

Have any of you actually engaged Bill Lee?

I on the other hand can say "yes" to all the above.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Have any of you ever spent time with Bill Lee, say 5 separate occasions (2 in Lowell, 3 in Burlington VT) for at least 30 minutes each? Do any of you have him chattering on about life on your own home video recording? I think not.  Have any of you actually engaged Bill Lee? I on the other hand can say "yes" to all the above.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Actually, he was the best man at my wedding.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Lee loves baseball. Bill Lee had the same attitude between the lines as Pete Rose. Bill Lee knows baseball history like Curt Schilling. I love Bill Lee.
    Posted by Flattiehater[/QUOTE]
    He always played to win when it came to skin and bones. And sometimes he said things he shouldn't ... like ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engaging Bill Lee : Actually, he was the best man at my wedding.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I knew that already, he called me to tell me about it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Engaging Bill Lee : I knew that already, he called me to tell me about it.
    We held the bachelor party at Elliot's. Bernie was also there. We invited Graig Nettles and then beat him up when he walked through the door.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Have any of you ever spent time with Bill Lee, say 5 separate occasions (2 in Lowell, 3 in Burlington VT) for at least 30 minutes each? Do any of you have him chattering on about life on your own home video recording? I think not.  Have any of you actually engaged Bill Lee? I on the other hand can say "yes" to all the above.

I'm willing to bet those chats were all completely one-sided.

More like a one-man show.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

h - you would lose that bet.

lloyd you should have invited Reggie Smith, that is one player Lee had the biggest problems with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I doubt it. Lee is on a conscious level light years from yours.
    You are barely conscious.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Bill Lee loves baseball. Bill Lee had the same attitude between the lines as Pete Rose. Bill Lee knows baseball history like Curt Schilling. I love Bill Lee.
    Posted by Flattiehater[/QUOTE]

Not really, He said on 105.7 FM once; "DiMaggio was not that good of a hitter, What'd he hit like 250, 260?"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He was probably pulling their chain, Steve.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'll admit, he's funnier than hell; he's a regular on 105.7 FM and a complete riot; I almost drove off the road a couple of times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

harness  what you don't get is that someone like Bill Lee would find you a complete bore.  I on the other hand got on quite well with him each occasion. 

I ate breakfast next to Butch Hobson for six weeks, real nice guy but very boring in a way... I think that would be someone you could get along with. 

No wait, there was the Equipment Manager for The City of Palms Grapefruit League named Clarence, you would have got along great with him. He was jerk, nobody liked him, he took everything too serious, and he played little mental games with the minor league equipment managers... sometimes we would try to order bats or balls or what have you and he would horde them and make them difficult to get... yeah that would be a lot like you I think. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's because he dumbed it up with you, fool. Did you call him out on anything? Or just lick his boots?

I met him some weeks after the '75 series, (He had a condo in Stoughton at the time) and pushed him on the Johnson/Willoughby decision. Be wouldn't go there.

"Getting along quite well" is UR way of superficial chat.
    You are barely capable of a baseball discussion - completely incapable of a baseball debate.

I can see the Forest Gump in you: Dimwitted innocence falling into circumstance.
    Has Yaz asked you to do his laundry lately?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Well you are wrong again. I am a historian and I know more about the Red Sox than most people I think. This is why I could sit with Johnny Pesky for an hour and have his eyes light up when I mentioned names long since forgotten.  It is why Charlie Wagner and I sat day after day and talked about baseball people, places, and things from a time I was not even born and we both enjoyed it. You could not do what I do, your a bore.

Nobody talks history on this board. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Sooooo, that's why you can't comprehend or take part in any real baseball debate.
    You're an historian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the dark side of Roger Hornsby? Can you tell us how many times he lead the league in hitting w/o looking it up? What were the 3 highest averges?
    How about Nap Lajoie? How many titles? What part of New England is he from?
    What position did he play? For whom?

Name every RedSox player who were sold off in 1918.

Better make sure your 'google' is in tact. I have hundreds of questions.
    You should have stuck "being superior" for not engaging Law.
    Your true superiority comes from washing jock straps and starting threads about Jesus...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Uh ok. Listen harness you don't need to combat everyone who disagrees with you. I realize your too old to change, its sad when someone has to act like you at their extended age.

Just telling you what you already know, your a bore, not the life of any party, and never gonna change.

Did Hornsby play for the Red Sox? Did Nap Lajoie? Did I say I was specifically a baseball historian?

No I did not.

My statement is pretty clear I am a historian by education and by interest and that I feel I know more about RED SOX history than most. Twisted nimrod.

Funny but all the conversations I had with Saberhagen, Lee, Pesky, and Wagner not one of them carried on about CERA let alone even mention it. Not one of them talked about STATS at all. Again you babbling nimrod even Tek would probably tell you to shove off.

It will hurt you to know but know you must, the people in this world who are least interested in your opinions on baseball are the actual players themselves. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Uh ok. Listen harness you don't need to combat everyone who disagrees with you. I realize your too old to change , its sad when someone has to act like you at their extended age. Just telling you what you already know, your a bore, not the life of any party, and never gonna change . Did Hornsby play for the Red Sox? Did Nap Lajoie? Did I say I was specifically a baseball historian? No I did not. My statement is pretty clear I am a historian by education and by interest and that I feel I know more about RED SOX history than most. Twisted nimrod. Funny but all the conversations I had with Saberhagen, Lee, Pesky, and Wagner not one of them carried on about CERA let alone even mention it. Not one of them talked about STATS at all. Again you babbling nimrod even Tek would probably tell you to shove off. It will hurt you to know but know you must, the people in this world who are least interested in your opinions on baseball are the actual players themselves. 

Ohhhh. Forgive me. This is a baseball board and you said you were an historian.
    Now I see I must again limit this to a RedSox historian.

You said you are a historian by education and by interest.
    What education? Did you go to JS school?

You said "I feel I know more about RedSox history than most".
    I asked you a simple RedSox question and you avoided it. Why?
    I don't claim to be a "RedSox historian", but I'll bet you I can make you look more a fool that you make of yourself. Now, this isn't an easy thing to do, as you stick UR head up UR azz more than anybody on this board.

But I'll bet  you can't answer half of 20 questions I'll pose to you.
    And to ensure you don't cheat (not that you would, of course. You never move/alter/delete/edit posts without prior notice), you'll have 10 minutes to answer them. That's plenty of time for "a historian". But not enough to google the answers.

If you can't answer at least 10 questions right, you lose, and will remove yourself from this board throughout August/Sept. of this year. And you can not return under any other handle. If you do answer 10 or more questions, I will pay the same penalty.

What say you? How are you on guts?