Enough for this long term fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Enough for this long term fan

Craze, hang in there. Long way to go. Never know what the season will bring. The fun of it is the ride.This time last year....who knew?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I don't agree with the FO, or care to hear excuses some of our fans make for our early struggles.  This team is terrible, errors are killing us because of all the young hyped up players playing out of position with no depth to help out.

It's just not fun watching so until we finally realize this team needs changes in three or four positions I'm checking out, we are just too predictable and boring to watch.

OUCH!

Now, as you all know, I have no fear about admitting our obvious problems, but this smacks of the typical fair-weather fan with whom we all have great loathing for.  Having said that, I'm relatively certain that Craz is not hangingup his team jersey, as his OP might suggest.

of course, I will continue to root fot these Sox night in & night out!  To his point however, probably not with the blood, sweat, & tears that I normally do.  I guess what he is likely saying is, that you simply can't bleed night in & night out with the team, as they consistently find ugly ways to lose, booting the ball with depressing regularity, forgetting their bats at home most nights.  Sadly, it does become boring and predictable, as opposed to heart-wrenching.  You distance yourself emotionally, for self-preservation.

sad!  Pathetic play!  Uninspired!

BUT.......   out seriously doubt there is anybody out there right now who could put this team back on track, without selling the farm!!!! 

As I said before the season......  we all need to steel ourselves for a rough road if, as I do, we want to watch the kids play!  CT......  that does not mean, put our heads in the sand and not talk about the errors & strikeouts by the likes of XB.  Or the fact that JBJ can't hit his way out of a paper bag right now!

I want the kids out there, developing night in & night out.  Trial & error by fire.  It's gonna be a three year deal.

I would however be down for a top tier bomber in LF to pick up the slack.  We should also be looking at the C spot.  We just have to pray that XB, MIDDY, AND JBJ develope at the plate quickly enough to midigate the poor D by XB & Middy.

I've said so many times elsewhere that in my opinion this team was not mentally ready when the season began.  I noticed in ST that they seemed to be going through the motions while Farrell was taking the slo-go approach himself.  There seemed to be no sense of urgency.  That being said and no way to rectify that now, we look at the present as see that while we all know the team was not going to pay for Ellsbury even though I was one of the minority who said we should,  the fact is we were sold a bill of goods about Bradley.  He cannot hit a fastball at all, cannot bunt, cannot run well enough to steal bases, and all he does, and does well, is play good defense.  However, I don't care what anyone says you cannot carry a 215 hitter who strikes out endlessly in the lineup no matter how many plays he makes in the field.  Sooner or later he kills the team offensively.

What hurts worse is that guys like Pedroia and Victorino and Sizemore and other veterans aren't hitting in the clutch either.  Someone has to wake up this team because from what I'm seeing they are in snooze control.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I don't agree with the FO, or care to hear excuses some of our fans make for our early struggles.  This team is terrible, errors are killing us because of all the young hyped up players playing out of position with no depth to help out.

It's just not fun watching so until we finally realize this team needs changes in three or four positions I'm checking out, we are just too predictable and boring to watch.

OUCH!

Now, as you all know, I have no fear about admitting our obvious problems, but this smacks of the typical fair-weather fan with whom we all have great loathing for.  Having said that, I'm relatively certain that Craz is not hangingup his team jersey, as his OP might suggest.

of course, I will continue to root fot these Sox night in & night out!  To his point however, probably not with the blood, sweat, & tears that I normally do.  I guess what he is likely saying is, that you simply can't bleed night in & night out with the team, as they consistently find ugly ways to lose, booting the ball with depressing regularity, forgetting their bats at home most nights.  Sadly, it does become boring and predictable, as opposed to heart-wrenching.  You distance yourself emotionally, for self-preservation.

sad!  Pathetic play!  Uninspired!

BUT.......   out seriously doubt there is anybody out there right now who could put this team back on track, without selling the farm!!!! 

As I said before the season......  we all need to steel ourselves for a rough road if, as I do, we want to watch the kids play!  CT......  that does not mean, put our heads in the sand and not talk about the errors & strikeouts by the likes of XB.  Or the fact that JBJ can't hit his way out of a paper bag right now!

I want the kids out there, developing night in & night out.  Trial & error by fire.  It's gonna be a three year deal.

I would however be down for a top tier bomber in LF to pick up the slack.  We should also be looking at the C spot.  We just have to pray that XB, MIDDY, AND JBJ develope at the plate quickly enough to midigate the poor D by XB & Middy.

I've said so many times elsewhere that in my opinion this team was not mentally ready when the season began.  I noticed in ST that they seemed to be going through the motions while Farrell was taking the slo-go approach himself.  There seemed to be no sense of urgency.  That being said and no way to rectify that now, we look at the present as see that while we all know the team was not going to pay for Ellsbury even though I was one of the minority who said we should,  the fact is we were sold a bill of goods about Bradley.  He cannot hit a fastball at all, cannot bunt, cannot run well enough to steal bases, and all he does, and does well, is play good defense.  However, I don't care what anyone says you cannot carry a 215 hitter who strikes out endlessly in the lineup no matter how many plays he makes in the field.  Sooner or later he kills the team offensively.

What hurts worse is that guys like Pedroia and Victorino and Sizemore and other veterans aren't hitting in the clutch either.  Someone has to wake up this team because from what I'm seeing they are in snooze control.

Wait...didn't Pedroia hit a grand slam over the weekend?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

It is amazing just how silent most of the bats have been!

I have to think they start heating up soon.   

Nice to see some good pitching though!!!!!   Unfortunately, often wasted when the bats stay sleeping!!!  Frustrating to say the least!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

CF and maybe 3b. One player who wasn't on the playoff roster, and the other who lost his job durning the season and was benched during the playoffs.. Ill give you a hint his girlfriend was the side reporter for NESN.

On Bradley, I'm extremely pleased.  GG=level fielding and a .685.  Not a fan of WMB, but 1 HR/19 ABs is nothing to sneeze at.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I honestly don't see how a long term fan can pack it in. I think it is just something that is said out of frustration at the time. I am a long term fan. I had reached the point where I thought I would not live to see a championship. The many near misses were beyond frustrating.  Now, I have seen three championships. If I never see another, I will be forever grateful for those three. That does not mean that I don't care about the present or the future. That does not mean I agree with everything management does. I do think that we were too passive this off season. I think we lost more than we gained. That is not how to stay on top. I thought that our play in spring training was very lackluster and mediocre. I think our slow start this season reflects all of that. We simply have not played consistently good baseball.  But I still think we have a lot of talent on this club. I do think we can turn it around at any time. I don't understand how any Sox fan is ready to give up on the year.  I certainly am not. And I am often thought of as " negative " . Well , I am not negative at all. I just honestly react to what I see. I have not seen anything to make me want to give up on this season. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Before today, we were 7th in the AL in runs scored (3 ahead of the Yankees and 2 behind the Rays).

We were 3rd in OBP, but 9th in SLG. That puts us 7th in OPS at .724.

Out of 15 AL teams, we rank (OPS) by position:

3rd at 1B .840

3rd at DH .817

3rd at 2B .734

4th at SS .765

10th at C .693

10th in LF .685

10th in CF .662

12th at 3B .644

14th in CF .606

By WAR

5th at 1B

5th at 2B

7th at SS

7th at C

12th in RF

14th at 3B

14th in LF

15th in CF

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Here's an idea to try.  Do not bench your best hitter when our offense if cold and he only plays 1B to begin with.  There will be plenty of time to rest him (NL parks, slumps, etc)............

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

CF and maybe 3b. One player who wasn't on the playoff roster, and the other who lost his job durning the season and was benched during the playoffs.. Ill give you a hint his girlfriend was the side reporter for NESN.

On Bradley, I'm extremely pleased.  GG=level fielding and a .685.  Not a fan of WMB, but 1 HR/19 ABs is nothing to sneeze at.

My God Joe, you aren't on that Candyland board now.  You can be honest about it.  How the h#ll can you be extremely pleased with Bradley?  He isn't hitting worth a da@n, cannot bunt, hits into too many double plays and strikes out too much.  Were we watching the same games today and yesterday?  You cannot carry a 215 hitter in the lineup no matter how well he plays the outfield.  Sooner or later, like sooner now, he is going to kill you on offense.  What they need to be doing is moving Mookie Betts to CF because in my opinion Jackie is going to turn out to be a fourth outfielder for defense purposes and little else.  Right now he stinks at the plate just like he stunk at the plate in ST, just as he stunk at the plate in his short stay with the Red Sox last season.  In fact, he looks worse now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

QUOTE:

Joe,

The only things positive about Bradley would be getting more playing time to prove himself and becoming more comfortable defensively in different parks.  He has looked weak and awful most of the time offensively.  I don't understand how you could even come to this conclusion at this point.  He is an upgrade over Nava defensively but Daniel is still a better hitter even after being demoted.

I see the kid either reaching Ellsbury status with less speed, or the Sox selling high in the next couple of years if he goes on a hot streak if they feel he may not sustain it like with Iggy.  Middy I gave up on after last season but I'm still hoping he comes around.  With that said through all the negativity I forgot to give Nap praise.  The guy has done a great job so far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Patience.

They were prepared to let two kids ages 21 and 23 start their MLB careers at premium positions. That means growing pains. To think they were going to come out blazing is not realistic. The first half of the season is to evaluate and then make the necessary changes. They are still developing. a WS ring allowed them the time to let this happen. patience with the kids. The talent is there and just needs some fine tuning.

Middy has dealt with two injuries, some good success, and a hard, but good lesson learned last year. Personally, I think he will end up with a solid all around year. We'll see where everyone is come June/July.

I respect your opinions and understand you are a passionate and emotional fan, but your talking as if your opinions on these players are actual fact. At least thats how it comes across. I trust the Sox scouting/development personnel and their off season decisions. They've done pretty good so far...

Hang in there bud! Its early. Long way to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Patience

They were prepared to let two kids ages 21 and 23 start their MLB careers at premium positions. That means growing pains. To think they were going to come out blazing is not realistic. The first half of the season is to evaluate and then make the necessary changes. They are still developing. a WS ring allowed them the time to let this happen. patience with the kids. The talent is there and just needs some fine tuning.

Middy has dealt with two injuries, some good success, and a hard, but good lesson learned last year. Personally, I think he will end up with a solid all around year. We'll see where everyone is come June/July.

I respect your opinions and understand you are a passionate and emotional fan, but your talking as if your opinions on these players are actual fact. At least thats how it comes across. I trust the Sox scouting/development personnel and their off season decisions. They've done pretty good so far...

Hang in there bud! Its early. Long way to go

Thoughts well taken southpaw,

I knew going in it would be a difficult season but never expected being 2rst in the league defensively.  We don't have enough run production and our pitchers can't do enough all season to combat those kind of stats defensively. 

The only one I have expressed being pretty sure about future wise is Middy and still feel the same way.  With JBJ I have said all along he wasn't ready to be thrown into the starting lineup or look like Jacoby anytime soon.  I'm glad he's getting playing time because it's the only way to judge his true talent.  Bogy, Betts, Cecchini and Swihart look like our best young offensive talents at this point but three of those four are playing out of position in my opinion if they intend on really helping our lineup at some point.  Don't forget I was one of the few who felt we would make the playoffs last season because of the depth so I'm not blowing smoke by saying this team isn't even close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Just a note on Middy...we all know already that he can hit for power, but the difference so far is that he's actually getting on base (.365 OBP, .807 OPS despite his .233 BA). Still a very small sample, of course, thanks to the time he missed, but he's not hurting us at the plate right now...one can only hope this is a sign of a positive trend for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Just a note on Middy...we all know already that he can hit for power, but the difference so far is that he's actually getting on base (.365 OBP, .807 OPS). Still a very small sample, of course, thanks to the time he missed, but he's not hurting us at the plate right now...one can only hope this is a sign of a positive trend for him.

Like you said, its a small sample flapjack and although we know he has power it's not being displayed so he still isn't what we expected at this point.  He still needs to prove he can stay in the lineup, sustain a decent OBP but also help in run production which we lack along with defense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Just a note on Middy...we all know already that he can hit for power, but the difference so far is that he's actually getting on base (.365 OBP, .807 OPS). Still a very small sample, of course, thanks to the time he missed, but he's not hurting us at the plate right now...one can only hope this is a sign of a positive trend for him.

Like you said, its a small sample flapjack and although we know he has power it's not being displayed so he still isn't what we expected at this point.  He still needs to prove he can stay in the lineup, sustain a decent OBP but also help in run production which we lack along with defense.

I agree...he definitely has much to prove this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Just a note on Middy...we all know already that he can hit for power, but the difference so far is that he's actually getting on base (.365 OBP, .807 OPS). Still a very small sample, of course, thanks to the time he missed, but he's hurting us at the plate right now...one can only hope this is a sign of a positive trend for him.

I agree...he definitely has much to prove this season.

flapjack, I'm a huge fan of OBP so I hope Middy's recent improvement is part of a plan designed by the coaching staff.  Maybe they told him to concentrate more on plate discipline first rather than swinging for the fences and the power will come back in time.  That would be a great thing, even though we need power in our lineup getting OB is also crucial.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Patience

Hang in there bud! Its early. Long way to go

Thoughts well taken southpaw,

I knew going in it would be a difficult season but never expected being 2rst in the league defensively.  We don't have enough run production and our pitchers can't do enough all season to combat those kind of stats defensively. 

The only one I have expressed being pretty sure about future wise is Middy and still feel the same way.  With JBJ I have said all along he wasn't ready to be thrown into the starting lineup or look like Jacoby anytime soon.  I'm glad he's getting playing time because it's the only way to judge his true talent.  Bogy, Betts, Cecchini and Swihart look like our best young offensive talents at this point but three of those four are playing out of position in my opinion if they intend on really helping our lineup at some point.  Don't forget I was one of the few who felt we would make the playoffs last season because of the depth so I'm not blowing smoke by saying this team isn't even close.

I hear ya. Nobody likes the slow start and the defense is frustrating, but it was to be expected. This team will be fine offensively. So far the pitching has looked good for the mkst part. Lack, Lester and peavy have all been solid. Buch has started to slowly look better. Not sure about Doubie just yet. Bullpen has been solid as well. Couple hiccups with the overall pitching, but nothing out of the norm.

This team may not win it all again this year, then again they might. One thing I believe is they will start to pick things up and have the talent to go all the way. Good thing nobody is running away with the division right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Wills numbers are a much SSS than the rest of the teams because of the time he's missed.  But I would rather see a higher OBP than AVG with him.  He will get his hits, but if he can improve his approach at the plate then he will stick.  I like the at-bat he had yesterday, he came back from being down in the count, took a couple close pitches on the corner and fouled off some tough ones when he had 2 strikes on him....then he worked a walk.  Very un-WillMiddlebrooks like.  I don't expect him to ever turn into Pedey but if he can do that just a little bit more.....I think he will be fine in the long run. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Didn't the season just begin? LMAO...C'mon man, give it some time...it's a bit early to hit the life boats isn't it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Wills numbers are a much SSS than the rest of the teams because of the time he's missed.  But I would rather see a higher OBP than AVG with him.  He will get his hits, but if he can improve his approach at the plate then he will stick.  I like the at-bat he had yesterday, he came back from being down in the count, took a couple close pitches on the corner and fouled off some tough ones when he had 2 strikes on him....then he worked a walk.  Very un-WillMiddlebrooks like.  I don't expect him to ever turn into Pedey but if he can do that just a little bit more.....I think he will be fine in the long run. 

I'm sure the coaching staff agrees, be patient and selective before worrying about hitting HR's.  OBP means a great deal and it almost seems like Bogy came into the league knowing this already.  Once you get a better feel for who throws what then you can attack with more aggressiveness.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

My God Joe, you aren't on that Candyland board now.  You can be honest about it.  How the h#ll can you be extremely pleased with Bradley?  He isn't hitting worth a da@n, cannot bunt, hits into too many double plays and strikes out too much.  Were we watching the same games today and yesterday?  You cannot carry a 215 hitter in the lineup no matter how well he plays the outfield.  Sooner or later, like sooner now, he is going to kill you on offense.  What they need to be doing is moving Mookie Betts to CF because in my opinion Jackie is going to turn out to be a fourth outfielder for defense purposes and little else.  Right now he stinks at the plate just like he stunk at the plate in ST, just as he stunk at the plate in his short stay with the Red Sox last season.  In fact, he looks worse now.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Fred, how often do I need to be right, and you wrong, before you listen?  JBJ, imo, is a terrific player.

And I will offer you a wager.  I will take the Red Sox over any team in our division for best record.  I don't think, imho, that anyone in our division is all that close either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

And I will offer you a wager.  I will take the Red Sox over any team in our division for best record.  I don't think, imho, that anyone in our division is all that close either.

QUOTE:

You could be right Joe but not without major adjustments, here is a promise for you.  The only way this team has the best record in The AL East or goes anywhere in the playoffs is if we strengthen or begin to play better defense.  It's simply not going to happen if we continue to hover around 21rst in the league.  I agree that JBJ has talent but have always disagreed with those who wanted to throw him into the starting lineup last season, or anyone who really believed he could replace Jacoby right away.  At this point JBJ looks terrible offensively so I'm not sure why you are so pleased with him but you are entitled to your opinion.  Our pitching should hold up if we remain healthy but the offense and defense needs to improve in a huge way.  Last season I predicted 88 wins and a playoff spot while most fans predicted a 500 ball club and we did even better because of adjustments and having a very deep team to begin with.   

This year we definitely have a 500 club if we don't improve drastically.  JBJ, Bogy and Middy will not replace what Jacoby, Drew or Iggy gave this team last season in their current positions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Good one craze. Clearly your post count doesn't count for much. I've argued with burrito to many times to count. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Are you sure your not al? You whine just like him , or donrd, how do you like baseless accusations being thrown at you? 

Sections
Shortcuts