Enough with Beckett bashing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Enough with Beckett bashing

He didn't get traded. Deal with it.
    It's like everybody is in a frenzy and letting the media feed it even more.
    Beckett hasn't pitched well this year and that is a given. He isn't the only reason this team has not lived up to expectations though....there are many other factors.
    His attitude as much as it can be brash is what has made him the pitcher he is. When he is on he is on. I love that scowl when he is having a great game against Yanks or playing well in playoffs.
    He helped us win WS. Maybe he isn't the #1 we want him to be. Maybe we need someone else...but that isn't his responsibility, that's Ben's and the FO. The frenzy needs to be focused on their moves or lack thereof.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Enough with Beckett bashing

Right on.  If Beckett was traded, Boston knew that they need another starter.  But there are not one good starter on the market where he would make the rotation a much stronger than it was before.  Right now Boston can still make into the playoff with the team that they have now!!

Come on, people are mad at Beckett cuz he is making 15 plus million dollars a year. If that was Lester making that much money, you would all be all over on Lester!!

Pitchers in MLB are now becoming an often injure prone in nowsdays and still making too much money.  Sabathia already missed some starts in past two years, Halladay have missed starts this year, Lee have missed starts this year, Josh Johnson have missed starts for years, Bucholtz have missed starts, etc.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing:
    [QUOTE]Right on.  If Beckett was traded, Boston knew that they need another starter.  But there are not one good starter on the market where he would make the rotation a much stronger than it was before.  Right now Boston can still make into the playoff with the team that they have now!! Come on, people are mad at Beckett cuz he is making 15 plus million dollars a year. If that was Lester making that much money, you would all be all over on Lester!! Pitchers in MLB are now becoming an often injure prone in nowsdays and still making too much money.  Sabathia already missed some starts in past two years, Halladay have missed starts this year, Lee have missed starts this year, Josh Johnson have missed starts for years, Bucholtz have missed starts, etc.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]
    You would be hard pressed to produce a list of starting pitchers who havent missed some starts over the last two seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd further say that I think getting booed off the mound after suffering a back injury (spasms) is about as low as it gets as a fan. Same fans unfortunately who felt Tito's 95 wins a year were manufactured by osmosis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I think alot of this is just being media driven.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I can tolerate keeping Beckett around at this point but we really should have dumped Crawford.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]I think alot of this is just being media driven.
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

I think you are 100% correct on that.....not too get politcal....but the fact that Beckett is a Good Ole Boy from Texas is not going to be endearing to a Media that tends to lean Liberal.....guaranteed if he held a fund raiser for our current President his press coverage would improve immensely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]I can tolerate keeping Beckett around at this point but we really should have dumped Crawford.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

But who wanted him?  If Crawford ever get dumped, Boston would more likely take another bad contract in return.  It wouldnt make much different.

Still Crawford right now hitting well at the #2 spot where he is hitting like over .350 while he is hitting like under .150 in the lower part of the batting order.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think it has less to do with Beckett being a good ole boy and more to do with the fact that he isn't performing.  The media and some fans need to have somewhere to point the finger when things are going bad.  After all, the media has to sell papers (outdated term!) and the fans need to blow off steam.

Things haven't been good on Yawkey Way in almost a calendar year ever since 1) the September swoon, 2) during the offseason when roster changes could've been made and 3) throughout this year's mediocre showing. 

If Beckett was 10-4 with a 3.00 ERA most people couldn't care less if he ate chicken and drank beer in the dugout between innings.  Same with Lester and any other of the supposed accomplices.  The media is is killing Lackey, saying he's part of the problem.  The guy isn't even pitching right now! 

Sad to say but Beckett, Lester and Lackey will be scrutinized until they deliver the goods.  Buchholz is performing so somehow he has escaped the wrath of the chickengate crowd.  "Good for Clay, he learned his lesson."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

and for the haters....I'm mad he is having a lousy year this year.....but he is a good pitcher...still plays for this team... and should have our fan support if we are to turn this thing around. We can sit around and complain or support this team going forward the rest of the year. Guess we all just have to take our sides. My side is on this team winning this year and making it to playoffs. Despite the failures that I do agree with on the Front Office front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

The boos will turn to cheers when Beckett starts earning his bloated salary.  The world I live in you either produce or you're shown the door.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Peter Abraham defends Beckett in today's Globe and berates last night's fans at Fenway.  I mostly agree with him, but also think fans who go to the games and, in this case, hang in there despite a steady rain, are entitled to do or say anything that isn't illegal, immoral, or fattening.  Fans are fans and by definition prone to irrational acts. 

I couldn't believe he was coming out, but then realized it was the back--again.  He had the same problem in the rain in 2010.  This time he said something soon enough that he might recover quickly. 

Abrahams also cites stats on Beckett's overall effectiveness since he starting pitching for the Sox in 2006, just six years ago.   Hard to discount those numbers. 

The funniest thing to read about Beckett is the clamor to dump him and pay his salary.  How nuts is that?  Last year his ERA was under 3.  He is only 32.  Last night he set down the first 8 Tigers in order and only gave up the run when his back started to go, he lost his control, and walked the Tigers first and only run in. 

His fast ball has slowed, but it wasn't that great in 2006 when he was regularly throwing 97 mph.  He loved it, but so did opposing batters.  Now he still has the good curve and has added a good changeup and cutter.  He can still be effective when he mixes up his pitches and hits his spots (no mean feat, I admit). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

boos should be directed at the Front Office who gave him that bloated contract. Beckett has never been a low ERA pitcher consistently. In your world, if someone handed you that much money.......would you refuse it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with the OP.

And I was absolutely disgusted with the fans at the game last night. I have no problem booing a player who isn't performing. But booing a player who gets injured -- Peter Abe was 100 percent correct in his story on boston.com. Boston fans should be better than that.

As far as media driven, it is but you have to be more specific. It's partly themedia that covers the team as a beat -- newspapers and their websites, broadcast and their websites -- but it's even more, sports talk radio, which has gone so far beyond rationality it's ridiculous. They've worked a good portion of the fan base into a mob-like mentality.

I truly believe that there is a large portion (not necessarily majority) of the fan base who if given the choice of A), Beckett pitching lights out for two months and leading the Sox to a W.S. title and B), Beckett pitching lousy and the Sox miss the playoffs, that they'd pitch A).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I'd further say that I think getting booed off the mound after suffering a back injury (spasms) is about as low as it gets as a fan. Same fans unfortunately who felt Tito's 95 wins a year were manufactured by osmosis.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

i really believe those boos were twofold - one for beckett not being able to pitch well/long into a big game irregardless of reason (it happens all the time these days) but mostly I truly believe those boos were aimed at Ben C for not trading him...the reality is that I have NEVER met anyone who is a sox fan outside of this forum that doesnt hate beckett and his meatheadedness...i alsways say that if you walked into a sports bar in southie/ctown and said the things that are printed here to defend beckett, you would get whopped....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I was at a game with my son a few years back and the fans started booing one of their own players. My son said to me, "Wow, that's really stupid." He was 8.

As for Beckett, it's disappointing because he was really throwing well until that point. And to make any noise in the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?!?), this team will need him and/or Lester at their best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's the point where fans cross the line--booing an injured player upon that player being injured. It's disgusting. This is not CC booing, knowing the back stories. I would never boo a CC if he was at the plate, and he pulled a rib muscle and couldn't get through the at bat. But I'm pretty sure the fans at the games would do that---the players are human, they get hurt. Last thing you want when you get hurt is someone berating you. It was not a Fenway moment to remember.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i only had a back spasm once..and it scared the heck out of me...so much pain i couldnt move....i cant imagine pitching with one..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

whatever the ailment is, it doesn't matter...all that matters is that I have been warning everyone that Beckett is too injury prone and simply can not finish seasons strong anymore

for those of you who are pulling for him so we can make a playoff run you better open your eyes - no matter how effective he may be pitching you can bet all you got on Beckett not being able to contribute anything in October....had only Theo realized that 3 years ago.......oh well.......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hurting your back is more terrifying than watching Mark Melancon throwing a pitch to a power hitter. Now that's terrifying. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i would still rather have beckett for 15 mil than lee for 25 mil....there i said it!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]i would still rather have beckett for 15 mil than lee for 25 mil....there i said it!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have Lee than Beckett and Crawford.......there is I said it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd rather have Morales in the rotation, a place he should never have left.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Beckett hasn't pitched well this year and that is a given"

I don't think I've ever bashed Beckett in here but I am one of those who thinks that Beckett is the core of a bad clubhouse culture and that it can't be fixed until he is traded. 

So that's why I want him gone. 

Having said that, I could be wrong, but that's how I feel about it. 

As for the OP, I think you're stuck in 2007. Beckett has lost a few miles off his fastball that are not coming back. Those great playoff games and that scowl - memories. Oh, he does still scowl. He is also injury-prone and not in good shape anymore. I don't see the hunger to win in him the way it once was. Guessing he feels pretty comfortable with his life and his resume. 

I fail to see the point of how valuable he can be as a fourth or firth starter, a four runs in six innings guy, the new Dice K. 

Having said that, I'd love to be proven wrong. I also don't think he should be sold at fire sale prices so that makes it tough. I'll root for him to both help us win and increase his trade value from here...

Sections
Shortcuts