Enough with Beckett bashing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Enough with Beckett bashing

Some of you guys are missing the point. The injury was not his fault. No one is blaming him for that, and had he called for the trainer BEFORE he walked in a run and left the bases loaded for his RP I doubt anyone would have booed him at all. Once the trainer was out there he could have taken a few tosses and then seen that he had to leave the game before putting his team in a bad situation. It was, once again, his Texas Tough Guy stubborness that prevented him from doing the right thing. THAT is one of the reasons I would have been booing him too-along with the consistent "FU fans" attitude and poor performance for a year that he has exhibited. What the fans did is totally understandable. No other player on this team would have been treated that way. Beckett has brought this down upon himself. Now HE has to deal with it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing:
    [QUOTE]Some of you guys are missing the point. The injury was not his fault. No one is blaming him for that, and had he called for the trainer BEFORE he walked in a run and left the bases loaded for his RP I doubt anyone would have booed him at all. Once the trainer was out there he could have taken a few tosses and then seen that he had to leave the game before putting his team in a bad situation. It was, once again, his Texas Tough Guy stubborness that prevented him from doing the right thing. THAT is one of the reasons I would have been booing him too-along with the consistent "FU fans" attitude and poor performance for a year that he has exhibited. What the fans did is totally understandable. No other player on this team would have been treated that way. Beckett has brought this down upon himself. Now HE has to deal with it.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

After a certain point, it doesn't matter how the injuries come to be, it only matters that the player continues to get injured....just like Drew and now the potential same for Crawford and yes, even Ellsbury.........we are now at that point with Beckett and some of us saw this coming a mile away.....years ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : After a certain point, it doesn't matter how the injuries come to be, it only matters that the player continues to get injured....just like Drew and now the potential same for Crawford and yes, even Ellsbury.........we are now at that point with Beckett and some of us saw this coming a mile away.....years ago.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Is Beckett doing enough conditioning to maximize the chance that he will not be injured? Who knows....thats a separate issue. Looking at him out there, what with the extra weight around the belly, I would doubt it. No doubt those pounds contribute to injuries. All we can ask of him is to remain in top physical condition. After that, if he gets injured, he needs to tell someone IMMEDIATELY and not put his team in a bind. Its just another example of his horrible stubborn attitude.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how much you want to bet me that in the last year of his contract, beckett finds god and whips himself into awesome shape???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : Is Beckett doing enough conditioning to maximize the chance that he will not be injured? Who knows....thats a separate issue. Looking at him out there, what with the extra weight around the belly, I would doubt it. No doubt those pounds contribute to injuries. All we can ask of him is to remain in top physical condition. After that, if he gets injured, he needs to tell someone IMMEDIATELY and not put his team in a bind. Its just another example of his horrible stubborn attitude.

I find it humorous that while this is being discussed on this post, there is another one currently out there saying that the reason players are getting hurt is they are too Muscle Bound!! I dont know how much Beckett works out or what type of workout he does and whether or not his gut indicates he is out of shape, or whether is limits his pitching effectiveness....I am not in the clubhouse to see. But is previous manager just said that Beckett was one of the harder workers on the team and he told young pitchers to watch Beckett and follow his lead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]how much you want to bet me that in the last year of his contract, beckett finds god and whips himself into awesome shape???
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'll bet you whatever you want

Beckett will most likely be DL'd most of his last year, just like Drew was.  Drew was not playing for another contract he was playing for retirement.  Just like Beckett will.  Sept 30th, 2014 - that is all he cares about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Thanks god that Josh Johnson isnt coming to Boston cuz I would keep hearing all the bashing on Johnson making too much money as well he get hurt occassionally for the next many years.

People expect Boston to stay health free every year.  If they want to do that, then stay away from signing guys who are near 30 years old to over 30 years old. And go with these youth only just like Kansas City, Tampa, Baltimore, Oakland, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks god that Josh Johnson isnt coming to Boston cuz I would keep hearing all the bashing on Johnson making too much money as well he get hurt occassionally for the next many years. People expect Boston to stay health free every year.  If they want to do that, then stay away from signing guys who are near 30 years old to over 30 years old. And go with these youth only just like Kansas City, Tampa, Baltimore, Oakland, etc.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

how about ONE season w/o going on the DL?  is that too much to ask for?

and to your point, Theo never should have extended Beckett - I said that from Day One.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]how much you want to bet me that in the last year of his contract, beckett finds god and whips himself into awesome shape???

In trying to remain positive:

So that would be a good thing. He's good every other year, so next year should be a good year, then the following year, which should be a bad one will be good because it's a contract year.

Despite the final eight innings of last year, he had a very good year last season. So that would give him three good years in the four years of the extension. For a pitcher, that would be very good value, don't you think?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

roy, he hasnt been good this year..im not interested in 2007...or whatever...and he is out of shape and it is hurting the team....as far as booing him, i dont recall the outrage/consternation when valentine was boo'd in april (talk about unwarranted)...

he was hurt in 2010, cost us the playoffs (and tito his job in 2011) and stinks this yr...im not sure what you aretalking about

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy, he hasnt been good this year..im not interested in 2007...or whatever...and he is out of shape and it is hurting the team....as far as booing him, i dont recall the outrage/consternation when valentine was boo'd in april (talk about unwarranted)... he was hurt in 2010, cost us the playoffs (and tito his job in 2011) and stinks this yr...im not sure what you aretalking about
    First of all, I was being tongue in cheek.

You said he'd be good in his contract year so that would be 2014. His contract began last year. On the field, he was very good. You don't end up with a 2.49  ERA (or whatever it was) by pitcing like crp. And I'm not going to dismiss  his one-the-field performance simply because of two bad starts (really the final eight innings of the year) to end the season. The reason those starts stand out is because no one else did anything. Lester was decent to good in three starts and horrible in the others. However, if he pitched 9 innings and allowed just three runs (3.00 ERA, nothing to complain about), he still would have been 1-3 with 2 ND because the Sox scored more than three runs for him that month once and less than three runs three times.

That's what bothers me about the Beckett-Lester bashing. Yes, they faltered at the end, but they carried the team for five months. The team had NOTHING in way of starting pitching after them all year once Buchholz went down. And the hitting stunk in September too, except for few outbursts.

Beckett deserves the criticism for not staying in shape -- if that was the reason for the fade at the end of those last two starts. But even if he was the leader ofthe so-called chicken and beer brigade, Lester and whoever else is equally to blame if they followed and it affected their performance.

And Beckett (just Beckett) didn't get Tito fired. THE TEAM DID. Personally, I think that's the problem this year. Beckett is being made the scapegoat when everyone involved needs to be accountable. I'm not excusing Beckett's actions, but I think everyone else -- specifically the Beckett Bashers -- is excusing all the other players. It was a TEAM COLLAPSE. The No. 5 pitchers gets lit up. It's Beckett's fault. Ortiz or A-Gon didn't come up with the extra clutch hit or two. It's Beckett's fault. It gets ridiculous.

But back to the point, ON THE FIELD, he was very good in 2011. I never said he was good this year. I said he was good every other year (in odd years, 2012 is an even year) so that means he'll be good in 2013. You said he'd be good in the contract year, which is 2014, which makes him good in three of the four years of the extension.

AND AGAIN -- I was being tongue in cheek. (Thought it was obvious.) I was just having fun, adding on to your post about him being good in a contract year. That's it. I'm not predicting that any of it is going to happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Beckett keeps his arm in shape with the chicken wing lifts to the mouth but the heavier 12 oz beer bottles are taking a toll on the back. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : Is Beckett doing enough conditioning to maximize the chance that he will not be injured? Who knows....thats a separate issue. Looking at him out there, what with the extra weight around the belly, I would doubt it. No doubt those pounds contribute to injuries. All we can ask of him is to remain in top physical condition. After that, if he gets injured, he needs to tell someone IMMEDIATELY and not put his team in a bind. Its just another example of his horrible stubborn attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : First of all, I was being tongue in cheek. You said he'd be good in his contract year so that would be 2014. His contract began last year. On the field, he was very good. You don't end up with a 2.49  ERA (or whatever it was) by pitcing like crp. And I'm not going to dismiss  his one-the-field performance simply because of two bad starts (really the final eight innings of the year) to end the season. The reason those starts stand out is because no one else did anything. Lester was decent to good in three starts and horrible in the others. However, if he pitched 9 innings and allowed just three runs (3.00 ERA, nothing to complain about), he still would have been 1-3 with 2 ND because the Sox scored more than three runs for him that month once and less than three runs three times. That's what bothers me about the Beckett-Lester bashing. Yes, they faltered at the end, but they carried the team for five months. The team had NOTHING in way of starting pitching after them all year once Buchholz went down. And the hitting stunk in September too, except for few outbursts. Beckett deserves the criticism for not staying in shape -- if that was the reason for the fade at the end of those last two starts. But even if he was the leader ofthe so-called chicken and beer brigade, Lester and whoever else is equally to blame if they followed and it affected their performance. And Beckett (just Beckett) didn't get Tito fired. THE TEAM DID. Personally, I think that's the problem this year. Beckett is being made the scapegoat when everyone involved needs to be accountable. I'm not excusing Beckett's actions, but I think everyone else -- specifically the Beckett Bashers -- is excusing all the other players. It was a TEAM COLLAPSE. The No. 5 pitchers gets lit up. It's Beckett's fault. Ortiz or A-Gon didn't come up with the extra clutch hit or two. It's Beckett's fault. It gets ridiculous. But back to the point, ON THE FIELD, he was very good in 2011. I never said he was good this year. I said he was good every other year (in odd years, 2012 is an even year) so that means he'll be good in 2013. You said he'd be good in the contract year, which is 2014, which makes him good in three of the four years of the extension. AND AGAIN -- I was being tongue in cheek. (Thought it was obvious.) I was just having fun, adding on to your post about him being good in a contract year. That's it. I'm not predicting that any of it is going to happen.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

hurt again, just like last year at this time...the diff is last year he was very good until august..then it was injury/flu/ankle and chicken and beer....this year its MY OFF DAY IS MY OFF DAY....which apparently means everyday the way he's behaved and performed...do you really think the fans were booing him for getting injured or for being a year-long salami?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

GEO - once again, I will take whatever bet you want.  Still waiting for you to put your $ where you mouth is.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you want to make a bet for 2015???? ok but youre keeping tabs on it...for a lobstah dinnah!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]you want to make a bet for 2015???? ok but youre keeping tabs on it...for a lobstah dinnah!

Sure, I'll bet for 2015....He won't be playing in 2015!!!!!!!!!  Hello......his contract is up in 2014.........And he will NOT have a big year.  He will go out like Dice K and Drew.........these guys are not playing for their next big contracts - THEY ARE RETIRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Crawford will be too............Lackey as well........

It's almost if the Red Sox have become the Severance Center for players looking for their last big pay day before heading home......our only hope is that label will shift to North Chicago this off season.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : hurt again, just like last year at this time...the diff is last year he was very good until august..then it was injury/flu/ankle and chicken and beer....this year its MY OFF DAY IS MY OFF DAY....which apparently means everyday the way he's behaved and performed...do you really think the fans were booing him for getting injured or for being a year-long salami?
    Actually, he was very good until the seventh inning of his second-to-last start. Prior to that, he pitched nine or 10 innings in September, allowing just two runs and won a game.

It's still in bad reflection on the fans to boo a guy, any guy, who is injured. Surely the could have waited until his next start.

And how has he behaved every day this year???? Look the golf thing was stupid on his part as was the comment. But what has he done wrong the rest of the year between starts????? How do we know if he's not doing his work or helping other starters, etc.?

I've never defended his unprofessional behaviour, and I do agree that he probably doesn't keep himself in the best shape, which could lead to the injuries.

But like I've posted before -- the overkill and the "Beckett is to blame for all the woes" is just so over the top.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

roy...beckett has a bottle opener attached to his locker that says WHITE TRASH.....the prosecution rests...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Alright Geo, dodge the issue

But let the record show you think Beckett will pitch great in his contract year and that I believe he will go out quietly and weakly and just retire......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Alright Geo, dodge the issue But let the record show you think Beckett will pitch great in his contract year and that I believe he will go out quietly and weakly and just retire......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]I think he'll pitch great next year, and the Red Sox should trade him at the deadline if he does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

good point carnie...andrew, what if he whips himself into shape next year???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy...beckett has a bottle opener attached to his locker that says WHITE TRASH.....the prosecution rests...

That's my point. What does that have to do with how much he's working on his days off, how he's helping his teammates, etc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]good point carnie...andrew, what if he whips himself into shape next year???

he won't man

i'll cover all bets

unless he leaves town

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : he won't man i'll cover all bets unless he leaves town
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

lol..im not holding my breath either for that - but i do think he has enough texas con man to want to stick it to the sox by doing all those things for his NEXT contract...

AM, i think you underestimate Beckett's crafty trashiness!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : lol..im not holding my breath either for that - but i do think he has enough texas con man to want to stick it to the sox by doing all those things for his NEXT contract... AM, i think you underestimate Beckett's crafty trashiness!

that's what I said - if he leaves Boston, the bet is off b/c he would try and stick it to us...........anyways, you said he will pitch great in his contract year and offered to bet.  I took the bet.  You pretty much ditched the matter.  Last chance - you in or are you gonna pull a Beckett on me and bail?

Sections
Shortcuts