Enough with Beckett bashing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Enough with Beckett bashing

In Response to Enough with Beckett bashing:
    [QUOTE]He didn't get traded. Deal with it. It's like everybody is in a frenzy and letting the media feed it even more. Beckett hasn't pitched well this year and that is a given. He isn't the only reason this team has not lived up to expectations though....there are many other factors. His attitude as much as it can be brash is what has made him the pitcher he is. When he is on he is on. I love that scowl when he is having a great game against Yanks or playing well in playoffs. He helped us win WS. Maybe he isn't the #1 we want him to be. Maybe we need someone else...but that isn't his responsibility, that's Ben's and the FO. The frenzy needs to be focused on their moves or lack thereof.
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

Please. Your comments are a joke. He is lazy, overpaid and should be moved. A replacement pitcher would do as well as he has. He's coddled, and skips out on the media because he can't take the heat. Thank goodness he's out of the rotation, even if it's temporary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : that's what I said - if he leaves Boston, the bet is off b/c he would try and stick it to us...........anyways, you said he will pitch great in his contract year and offered to bet.  I took the bet.  You pretty much ditched the matter.  Last chance - you in or are you gonna pull a Beckett on me and bail?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

no, im saying he is going to get his act together in his final year..absolutley - he will be playing hard for the next contract...i thought i was pretty clear on that...and given his m o, id say that is a bold prediction...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : no, im saying he is going to get his act together in his final year..absolutley - he will be playing hard for the next contract...i thought i was pretty clear on that...and given his m o, id say that is a bold prediction...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

first, bet is now a done deal

second, what do you think his MO is?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

MO Jb = eating, drinking, pitching if he feels good, maybe exercising ten min or so, eating again, golf, beer, going on the dl, ducking the press, eating, video games....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]MO Jb = eating, drinking, pitching if he feels good, maybe exercising ten min or so, eating again, golf, beer, going on the dl, ducking the press, eating, video games....
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

He only has 18 days off all season.  How is all that even possible??  Tongue Out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

SPACE..MY OFF DAY IS MY OFF DAY...

dont worry about it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That's not even the most disturbing quote

the worst was last night "I don't have any reaction whatsoever to the boos"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]That's not even the most disturbing quote the worst was last night "I don't have any reaction whatsoever to the boos"

So you want players to be affected by the fans?  I don't.  What do you want him to say, "It really hurt my feelings"?

Beckett has been around long enough to know to ignore the fans, especially the fickle Red Sox fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Bucket deserves every bo  he got last night and every one to come. He has given up on his team and the sox fans. It has set the tone for other players (Lester) to pack it in as well. As long as they sell out the ball park not much will change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Beckett only cares about ONE thing

September 30th, 2014

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett only cares about ONE thing September 30th, 2014

Don't forget chicken and beer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

but all he cares about is finishing up his contract, collect the total 68 million and going home

i believe that is the only thing that gets him through the days.....

and if he's reading this he knows I am right!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

What moronic apologist universe is this that Beckett should not be bashed.  He is despicable out of shape pig who is stealing(albeit legally) his salary.  The guy is telling everyone who questions his selfish, heartless and lazy efforts to f--- off.  How some on this thread can say the guy had enough shows a level of insanity.

Beckett should answer to his complete lack of pride and effort with some level of responsibility. Giving this guy a pass says a lot about those who ask for some level of forgiveness for this bum.  He needs  to get out on the field and earn his keep, 2007 was a lifetime ago really what gives with this forgiveness for him. He has helped destroy the winning spirit on this team.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

They shopped him around and no one bit.

Send him to the Seadogs for rehab and don't ever call him back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The worst case scenario is that maybe Beckett has just lost it physically.  Has anyone ever thought of that?  Maybe the stubbornness and haughtiness is Josh fooling himself that he still has it, but he needs to blame Boston and the team environment for his woes.  Maybe he is in denial.   He's at an age where things can go bad quick.  If so, then his is an albatross of a contract. 

At least if it's laziness/apathy there is some hope that eventually pride or the chance to restablish his trade value will motivate him to put in the work to be a top flight starter.  I am not holding my breath. 

Whatever the reason, he is hard to root for and easy to boo at this point.  I think people see his pudgy body, apathetic attitude and less than stellar pitching and think he is stealing money from the Sox.  It's hard to blame fans who boo him.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

For all the Beckett bashing....he's scheduled to make his next start, on Sunday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

from the "moronic apologist universe" app...Beckett bashed for back spasms, Cook not bashed for getting bashed....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]from the "moronic apologist universe" app...Beckett bashed for back spasms, Cook not bashed for getting bashed....
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

last night...fenway faithful cheered Prince Fielder, after he was injured, rightfully. night before, booed one of their own, wrongfully.  go figure

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : last night...fenway faithful cheered Prince Fielder, after he was injured, rightfully. night before, booed one of their own, wrongfully.  go figure
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. For my part, I would not hesitate to boo Beckett whenever I got the chance to do it. He is a cancer on this team whose physical skills have diminished to the point that he cannot top 91mph any more. He has no respect for the fans or for his contract, as evidenced by his pot belly. At the very least he could stay in shape and pretend to care about the team more than himself.
    As for his start on Sunday, that is something that could be changed and probably will. I think he is headed for the DL, and I won't miss him. Morales will take Sunday's start more than likely, and he deserves it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]The worst case scenario is that maybe Beckett has just lost it physically.  Has anyone ever thought of that?  Maybe the stubbornness and haughtiness is Josh fooling himself that he still has it, but he needs to blame Boston and the team environment for his woes.  Maybe he is in denial.   He's at an age where things can go bad quick.  If so, then his is an albatross of a contract.  At least if it's laziness/apathy there is some hope that eventually pride or the chance to restablish his trade value will motivate him to put in the work to be a top flight starter.  I am not holding my breath.  Whatever the reason, he is hard to root for and easy to boo at this point.  I think people see his pudgy body, apathetic attitude and less than stellar pitching and think he is stealing money from the Sox.  It's hard to blame fans who boo him.  
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

this is my primary hypothesis - ditto for Lester

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. For my part, I would not hesitate to boo Beckett whenever I got the chance to do it. He is a cancer on this team whose physical skills have diminished to the point that he cannot top 91mph any more. He has no respect for the fans or for his contract, as evidenced by his pot belly. At the very least he could stay in shape and pretend to care about the team more than himself. As for his start on Sunday, that is something that could be changed and probably will. I think he is headed for the DL, and I won't miss him. Morales will take Sunday's start more than likely, and he deserves it.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Yes, pumsie, it is a matter of opinion. I've clearly stated mine, as have others. Frustration is one thing, booing is another. One you seem to have too much class for. It's a personal decision, just one I don't agree with.
    As far as his conditioning, I have no idea what it consists of. He addressed it, during a spring training interview, with Peter Gammons. Paraphrasing, to the effect he didn't have the same body type and wouldn't ever look like "model Jacoby Ellsbury" no matter how much he worked out. From my own experience,  I believe that to be true. Some gym rats look like they've never stepped foot in a gym, others look like they live there. Different body types are more concussive and responsive than others, to exercise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Enough with Beckett bashing : Please. Your comments are a joke. He is lazy, overpaid and should be moved. A replacement pitcher would do as well as he has. He's coddled, and skips out on the media because he can't take the heat. Thank goodness he's out of the rotation, even if it's temporary.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I am not a big Sabremetrics guy , and Beckett has been inconsistent, but Becketts WAR for 2012 is 2.5 which is higher than anyone on the Sox and 12th best among AL starters....so to say any replacement player would do as well seems unfounded.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the team has lost 2/3 of the games started by beckett...or some god awful pct...he has been horrible, injury prone, and a coward (running from the media and verlander matchup)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough with Beckett bashing : I am not a big Sabremetrics guy , and Beckett has been inconsistent, but Becketts WAR for 2012 is 2.5 which is higher than anyone on the Sox and 12th best among AL starters....so to say any replacement player would do as well seems unfounded.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

well, you are right - WAR does NOT take into account consistency; it's merely an aggregate...........and performance is all about CONSISTENCY.