Enough with the puppet interviews, bring in Pena!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Enough with the puppet interviews, bring in Pena!

In Response to Enough with the puppet interviews, bring in Pena!:
    [QUOTE]I'm not interested in a Dale Sveum, Mackanin, Hale (the bench coach during this debacle), or some other unproven commodity. Pena has proven through his career that he knows how to handle pitchers. He has proven that he can get a bad club to play well (managed the Royals to their last winning season I believe). After being a manager, proved himself as a 3rd base, 1st base, and then bench coach for a big market, successful team: the Yankees. He had an interview, but they went with Girardi. I don't want another Francona, he won early and couldn't maintain structure with his style. I wonder how it would have gone had he not walked into a WS winning team in year 1. Pena was my choice as soon as the axe fell, and nothing has changed since. Pena for Manager in '12!
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I have lobbied for this as well...but it will be what it will be...and I haven't even heard Pena's name come up on the short list of interview candidates...we got Maddux and Alomar coming in next and not sure if Pena or Dave Martinez is going to be invited after that.

I believe I heard that Cherington wants a new manager in place by Turkey Day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I like the idea of bringing in Pena in town.  I'm little bit concerned with his low batting avg thou. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Enough with the puppet interviews, bring in Pena!

I'm not interested in a Dale Sveum, Mackanin, Hale (the bench coach during this debacle), or some other unproven commodity.

Pena has proven through his career that he knows how to handle pitchers.

He has proven that he can get a bad club to play well (managed the Royals to their last winning season I believe).

After being a manager, proved himself as a 3rd base, 1st base, and then bench coach for a big market, successful team: the Yankees. He had an interview, but they went with Girardi.

I don't want another Francona, he won early and couldn't maintain structure with his style. I wonder how it would have gone had he not walked into a WS winning team in year 1.

Pena was my choice as soon as the axe fell, and nothing has changed since.

Pena for Manager in '12!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Not sure about Pena, dog.  He turned us down eight years ago.

Maddux is interesting, though, and so is Sandy Alomar Jr. Either would be a good fir, IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree with Pena and I wouldn't be disappointed with DeMarlo. I do agree with management regarding the importance of technology being used by the manager.
    If that's what management wants everyone being interviewed needs to acquiess.

Maddox, Martinez, Pena, DeMarlo and Alomar in addition to Sveum and Mackanin should give management all the candidates needed to find the right person along with information that good interviews produce that will help with future player decisions and other coaches these guys would choose if hired.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Tony Pena? Did I miss something or did not any of you get the memo: PENA QUIT ON HIS TEAM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON JUST LIKE RIGGLEMAN. Then he signed on with the Yankees, guaranteed winner and sought less pressure as a base coach.

What is wrong with every single one of you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

4 real going back over this thread, each one of you are off your reservation. Proved he can make a losing team a winner? ROFL!  Study up boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ok I am back again... so Pena anxiously took his 1st managerial offer and turned a losing team into a winner (sort of) and then the following year in the midst of getting their annual azz kicked (see Royals 1986-present) he QUIT on his team.

Am I right?

Is this who you all want to change the "tude" of this team?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I will admit that I like Maddux.

Personally, I like Wakamatsu as well. His departure from Seattle was curious, I wasn't sure if it was the manager being unreasonable, or the players acting like spoiled babies, and management backing the players. Either seems pretty believable to me.

Summerof67...turned down the Sox in what capacity? Did they offer him Tito's job at the time? I don't recall him not agreeing to come here, but you may be absolutely right. If that's the case, that's very disappointing. I wonder what Pena doesn't like about this situation? Although, this management gruop has beena round baseball long enough for people to have opinions about them as professionals. I wonder. At any rate, any other info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm very curious to know how anyone can truly say you like one candidate over another without talking to any of them. Aren't they just names? How do you really know what kind of manager they'll be? 

Most of the candidates haven't been major league managers, so all we know is a little bit of their personality based on some interviews. But we really don't know how they'll handle players, what sort of respect players will give them or their philosophy.

As for someone like Pena, managing the Royals is a lot different than managing a team like the Red Sox.

And I'll take anther Francona any day. The positives of his style and personality  far outweighed any negatives.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Having been a catcher at one time, I really think they make the best managerial candidates. Tony has great experience with the Yankees. He really did call a good game, so that should transition into handling the pitchers fairly well.

I think he is a solid candidate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

royf19: Bingo, it really comes down to how the personalities and philosphies mesh with each person. You have to somewhat like the person(s) you work for, or that resentment will eventually rear its ugly head.

Many fans see players play and short sound bites etc, but unless you have that one-on-one persoanl communicaiton, speculation is what we are traped in.

Theo did have systems in place that brought accountability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Enough with the puppet interviews, bring in Pena!:
    [QUOTE]Tony Pena? Did I miss something or did not any of you get the memo: PENA QUIT ON HIS TEAM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON JUST LIKE RIGGLEMAN. Then he signed on with the Yankees, guaranteed winner and sought less pressure as a base coach. What is wrong with every single one of you?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Did you ever consider that he resigned before getting fired? The Royals did get off to the worst record in baseball in 2004 and he left before the axe came down.

Plus the Riggleman analogy is off-base because Riggleman literally quit over a contract related dispute...that did not happen in Pena's case.

If Pena is trying to shun responsibility. like you claim, then he likely wouldn't even interview for open managerial positions and just stay on the bench in NY.

On the other hand, if the Sox hire someone else, I wouldn't lose any sleep that Pena didn't get the job...I just liked his background as a player and his previous manager experience to be a decent candidate for the job here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

he said he was tired of the losing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Not only do we need a manager, but we also need a pitching coach. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I'm very curious to know how anyone can truly say you like one candidate over another without talking to any of them. Aren't they just names? How do you really know what kind of manager they'll be?  Most of the candidates haven't been major league managers, so all we know is a little bit of their personality based on some interviews. But we really don't know how they'll handle players, what sort of respect players will give them or their philosophy. As for someone like Pena, managing the Royals is a lot different than managing a team like the Red Sox. And I'll take anther Francona any day. The positives of his style and personality  far outweighed any negatives.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  This is a convention of blowhards....all noise and motion, but in all probability none have ever met any of the alleged candidates and wouldn't know how to interview them for the job if they did.

As for the "Francona had early success" comment...how stupid is that?  If the next Sox manager wins the WS twice in his first 4 years we'll be the luckiest and happiest fanbase in the world. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"We are not playing well," Pena told The Kansas City Star after Tuesday night's game. "It's tough to go to the ballpark and lose game after game. I haven't been eating. I haven't been sleeping. I don't want to get sick."  Tony Pena, 2005

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Actually the only candidate with any true winning on his resume is Svuem, he took over a Brewers club turned them around and made the playoffs. All the player lobbied for him but they went with Macha the next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'm very curious to know how anyone can truly say you like one candidate over another without talking to any of them. Aren't they just names? How do you really know what kind of manager they'll be?

Yup, just names, and we know little about them, bordering on nothing.

when we hit well, Magadan is a good hitting coach.  If not, he needs to be fired.  Farrell was a guy that the crowd wanted to replace Tito, then when the staff had a bad year, they wanted him fired, then when he had some success at TO, they wanted him back to replace Tito.

When Ellsbury got hurt, a lot of folks became internet doctors.

It's okay to speculate on ML players where we have some statistics to bandy about, but we're still amateurs.  But we have no idea of whom the best managing prospects are.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's really hard to fault Pena for the woes of a KC team that was among the worst in MLB history.  That was a terrible, terrible team; they lost more than 100 games.  No manager would've saved it.  No one would've even had them playing close to 50 50.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]It's really hard to fault Pena for the woes of a KC team that was among the worst in MLB history.  That was a terrible, terrible team; they lost more than 100 games.  No manager would've saved it.  No one would've even had them playing close to 50 50.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Pena's record was .410 with KC.  They were pretty bad, but it's tough to say that Pena raised them to a .410 team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]I'm very curious to know how anyone can truly say you like one candidate over another without talking to any of them. Aren't they just names? How do you really know what kind of manager they'll be? Yup, just names, and we know little about them, bordering on nothing. when we hit well, Magadan is a good hitting coach.  If not, he needs to be fired.  Farrell was a guy that the crowd wanted to replace Tito, then when the staff had a bad year, they wanted him fired, then when he had some success at TO, they wanted him back to replace Tito. When Ellsbury got hurt, a lot of folks became internet doctors. It's okay to speculate on ML players where we have some statistics to bandy about, but we're still amateurs.  But we have no idea of whom the best managing prospects are.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

that's true for EVERYTHING about sports. As fans, we have opinions, hopes and desires, and are allowed to discuss them. When Lackey throws a terrible game, maybe he had a migraine, maybe he just found out his wife was cheating, maybe his girlfriend just left him, maybe maybe maybe. It's all opinion. If this is really how anyone feels, why participate in a chat room at all? Few of us have ever met any athlete or manager? And thos eof us that HAVE met one, how many in depth conversations have been had? Few, if any. That being said, I guess none of us should even consider what players we may want, because their statds represent a different team playing different competition in front of different fans and answering to different media. So why bother?

In my OPINION, I think Pena would be a fine manager for this team. Have I met him? No. But using the information available to me, the path he's taken, the history he has, I come to a conclusion on my opinion that i'd like Pena. Simple as that. If anyone wants to have an opinion of my opinion, have at it.