Epstein leaves, price must be high

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Epstein leaves, price must be high

In Response to Re: Epstein leaves, price must be high:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Epstein leaves, price must be high : You learn something all the time.  See I thought they made Theo the GM because of what he did as Director of Baseball Operations for San Diego.  And I'd always thought he got to interview for the Red Sox job because he knew Lucchino from when Lucchino was his boss at San Diego. But I'm sure that you're correct and it was all because of Theo's father knwoing Werner.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]Lucchino brought Theo with him from San Diego and was on the RS staff during the GM search after the 2002 season. The RS first went for the big name, big splash in Bill Beane.

Beane first accepted and then changed his mind. from his encounters with the RS during that process he told Lucchino that he thought he had his next GM on staff already in Epstein.

Epstein was an internal promotion. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Theo and Middlebrooks to the cubs seems a fair price to rid the sox of their most recent curse.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]It is really a win win for theo.  If he goes to the cubs, I believe he get the president title as well, something he wanted here. If he goes and brings them a world series ring, he will be God of Baseball.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]Actually by most reports Theo is conflicted about the Cubs job because he has very little interest in the business operations aspects like marketing and such. Title and money is nice but he has by most reports what he likes here, which is a control over baseball operations. Even as President larger transactions will require review and approval of ownership.

You hit the upside which would be he is a HOF FO guy which is rare if he turns around Boston and the Cubs. The flip side is it doesn't happen fast enough in Chicago and they move on. he becomes the guy who bailed on the Boston job when things got tough and just another name in the long string of GMs that did not make the Cubs go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Cafardo is smoking the pipe. They will not have to give up much to hire Theo if it goes that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If Theo goes to Cubs, will he hire Steve Bartman as Public Relations Director?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I keep asking  the question why do the Cubs even want him?  Let alone want to trade something for him in return.

I would be after Andrew Friedman in Tampa.  What has Theo done the last four years?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

"I don't have a problem with anyone saying Theo has to go because I agree with that idea, but pointing to his father and grandfather as a reason why is absurd.  Most of the armchair GMs here don't have a "baseball background" either but they're all damned sure they can do better than Theo.  Maybe they can, maybe they can't but it has nothing to do with who their fathers are... "

Yukon:

I hope many of us who are critical of Theo are wise enough to understand that the job of a GM takes more skill than flipping hambergers.  I think the comments regarding Theo have far more to do with many of us FANS feeling that HE has been more a failure at his job then we can live with, NOT that anyone of us feels that we ourselves, could do Theo's job better. 

I look at this very simply.  Baseball is not just a sport, it's also a business.  Theo has had virtually an open checkbook to produce a quality product.  About all his spending has produced is a lot of underpreforming yet very well paid baseball players, virtually no post season sucess since 2007, and one of if not the highest ticket prices in baseball.

If I was an owner since the park is sold out each game and the money is flooding in I probably would be less critical of him than many of us fans are who only share in the results of the games played on the field, and not the business profits. 

I think many of us fans are just fed up and we want more than Theo has given us for our investments in the Red Sox.   While I certainly know I could not do the job as Red Sox GM, I have to think there are many wise baseball people out there who would do Theo's job far better than Theo has done it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

As DirtyWater pointed out, Theo's background with San Diego qualified him for the Boston GM position

It most certainly did not. His entry into San Diego came from Werner entertainment background. Katz is a 100% shill. Epstein went with Werner to Boston. Luchino is the true executive for the Red Sox and he needs to effectively fire Epstein. Werner will be opposed to it, but it is a critical juncture for the Red Sox to divorce itself from a guy who knew nothing about baseball and who is reponsible for the worst 3 year budgetary performance in baseball history!

The new manager and new pitching coaching staff and approach needs to be handled by a new and competent GM who understands pitching approach and how to properly construct a roster. Manny needed to go, but it took an idiot to construct the 2008 to 2011 OF (Manny was gone for last half of 2008).  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]As DirtyWater pointed out, Theo's background with San Diego qualified him for the Boston GM position It most certainly did not. His entry into San Diego came from Werner entertainment background. Katz is a 100% shill. Epstein went with Werner to Boston. Luchino is the true executive for the Red Sox and he needs to effectively fire Epstein. Werner will be opposed to it, but it is a critical juncture for the Red Sox to divorce itself from a guy who knew nothing about baseball and who is reponsible for the worst 3 year budgetary performance in baseball history! The new manager and new pitching coaching staff and approach needs to be handled by a new and competent GM who understands pitching approach and how to properly construct a roster. Manny needed to go, but it took an idiot to construct the 2008 to 2011 OF (Manny was gone for last half of 2008).  
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

We're going to have to agree to disagree then because I don't see anything wrong with the way Theo got his experience in San Diego.  So what if he got his initial job through family connections?  In this day and age, that's called networking and that's how a lot of people find jobs.  Once he got to San Diego he worked his way up to Director of Baseball Ops.  If he had done a crappy job, then he would never have been Billy Beane's backup choice for the Sox.

One thing I do agree with you on is that it's time for Theo to go.  It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

GET US A LARGE CHICAGO PIZZA 2 GO AND YOU CAN TAKE HIM !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The take from Alex Speier at WEEI:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2011/10/06/billy-beane-theo-epstein-life-comes-full-circl