Erik Bedard to Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Erik Bedard to Sox?

Boy would he look good in a Sox uniform.  With Dice down for the year, Erik would be number 4 guy with Lackey 5. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Erik Bedard to Sox?

Would Ryan Kalish and thirdbase prospect Garin Cecchini (as a player to be named) be too much to offer for Erik Bedard? How about Josh Reddick and Cecchini? Lars Anderson and Cecchini? Jed Lowrie?

Seattle is only a game and a half out of first place as I write, so I doubt the Mariners are looking to trade Erik Bedard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Bedard is injured more than Matsuzaka and Lackey combined.  A couple of years ago, I was all for getting Bedard.  Since then he has proven to be what others claimed.  Good when healthy, but not healthy often enough to be good.  His ship has sailed.  I would not give up any good talent, such as Kalish and Cecchini for Bedard.  And if Theo does do that trade, there will be heck to pay on these boards the moment Bedard gets injured.

Anderson for Bedard might make some sense since Anderson has very little value to the Sox, but straight up, that isn't going to happen.  Matsuzaka's eventual full-time replacement will come from within.  Aceves seems like a very good option, and Wakefield is still the best #5 in the league, IMO.  If you get Bedard, you'll be looking to trade for his DL replacement soon enough.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard to Sox?:
    Bedard is injured more than Matsuzaka and Lackey combined.  A couple of years ago, I was all for getting Bedard.  Since then he has proven to be what others claimed.  Good when healthy, but not healthy often enough to be good.  His ship has sailed.  I would not give up any good talent, such as Kalish and Cecchini for Bedard.  And if Theo does do that trade, there will be heck to pay on these boards the moment Bedard gets injured. Anderson for Bedard might make some sense since Anderson has very little value to the Sox, but straight up, that isn't going to happen.  Matsuzaka's eventual full-time replacement will come from within.  Aceves seems like a very good option, and Wakefield is still the best #5 in the league, IMO.  If you get Bedard, you'll be looking to trade for his DL replacement soon enough.  
    Posted by parhunter1

Seattle's Michael Pineda is a decent No. 5 starter (or Jason Vargas or Doug Fister):

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=sea

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

I would also prefer to try Miller first. why give up decent prospects for a guy who will be number four in the rotation?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Miller or Doubrant need to get Wakefield back on the de facto DL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard to Sox? : Seattle's Michael Pineda is a decent No. 5 starter (or Jason Vargas or Doug Fister): http://mlb.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=sea
    Posted by hill55

Stop bragging about your three #5 starters. Yankess have almost as many.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgbpd. Show jjgbpd's posts

Michael Pineda is a decent #5 starter?  Wow... the kid is dynamite and arguably equally as good as Buchholz right now.  I would LOVE to get Pineda. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I wouldn't consider going after Bedard, certainly not for some of the proposed offers above.

I agree with parhunter1;  Bedard's time has probably passed.

Who needs another broken down, injury prone, former star who probably would spend more time on the DL and/or the minor league rehab shuttle?

Don't we ever learn?  (Smoltz, Gagne, etc.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I wouldn't consider going after Bedard, certainly not for some of the proposed offers above. I agree with parhunter1;  Bedard's time has probably passed. Who needs another broken down, injury prone, former star who probably would spend more time on the DL and/or the minor league rehab shuttle? Don't we ever learn?  (Smoltz, Gagne, etc.)
    Posted by drpjn

What is with the constant Gagne references.  He was not broken down when the Sox got him.  In fact, he was pitching well.  Why revise history?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

is there any package the SOX could put together that could include LACKEY?
    or is there still only ONE way for the SOX to get rid of him: MAKE IT LOOK LIKE AN ACCIDENT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Would Ryan Kalish and thirdbase prospect Garin Cecchini (as a player to be named) be too much to offer for Erik Bedard? How about Josh Reddick and Cecchini? Lars Anderson and Cecchini? Jed Lowrie? Seattle is only a game and a half out of first place as I write, so I doubt the Mariners are looking to trade Erik Bedard.
    Posted by hill55

Kalish is too much to offer for Bedard. Bedard is one bad toss from being done. Id rather the Sox look to the Astros and go HARD after Hunter Pence and Wandy Rodriguez. Add a Right Handed Bat and add a # 5 starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

Stay away from Bedard. Nothing good can come out of it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard to Sox? : Stop bragging about your three #5 starters. Yankess have almost as many.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2010&ind=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Michael Pineda is a decent #5 starter?  Wow... the kid is dynamite and arguably equally as good as Buchholz right now.  I would LOVE to get Pineda. 
    Posted by jjgbpd

The chances of getting 22-year-old Michael Pineda, who remains under his team's control through the 2016 season, resemble the chances of landing Felix Hernandez:

Extremely remote.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

How can Garcia only be 0.4WAR with the type of #s he's putting up? Does WAR take into consideration it's all smoke and mirrors and that he'll have an armaggaedon-like crash back to earth? because otherwise you'd think it'd be higher than that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard to Sox? : What is with the constant Gagne references.  He was not broken down when the Sox got him.  In fact, he was pitching well.  Why revise history?
    Posted by jimdavis

He had blown his arm our a few years back, suffered a huge drop in velocity and performance.  That's what I meant by broken down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard to Sox? : Seattle's Michael Pineda is a decent No. 5 starter (or Jason Vargas or Doug Fister): http://mlb.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=sea
    Posted by hill55

Why don't you guys try to win for once with what you have rather than being vultures, picking off the best from the struggling teams.  I hope the $49 million payroll Indians continue to do what they are doing and beat bloated payroll teams like your Sox every chance they get!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Indians GM Antonetti is a genius compared to your open-the-checkbook, no-need-for-brains GM Theo anyday....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Dice-K on DL?
    THROW FARM AT 32 YEAR OLD PITCHER!

No thanks, Bedard is  having a stellar May, however trying Kalish (who could be our future at RF) would be buying pretty high.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Bedard is one of the leaders in the clubhouse to be moved at the deadline. He's making very little (1M) and is a free agent at years end...So essentailly if and when the M's decide to be sellers. Bedard is an easy fit on any team based on the above and If he continues to take the ball every 5 days and shows he healthy, they'll be a line at the door and the M's will have thier pick of litter, knowing that someone will trade the farm for him, I doubt that team would be the Sox...

but........................that's a big if...He'll have another 6 to 8 starts between now and the begining of July to show that he's healthy and worth making a move for...patience might be a virtue...but someone might get a little ansy and make the M's an offer they can't refuse in the next few weeks...I doubt that team is Sox as well...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Why do we need another #5? Lackey should be back by June 1st. We have Wake and Aceves. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Why do we need another #5? Lackey should be back by June 1st. We have Wake and Aceves. 
    Posted by RSNS14

According to one measure, Erik Bedard has matched the performance of Clay Buchholz this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

The Red Sox don't need Bedard or any other starting pitcher. We have the great Tim Wakefield "innings eater".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

I would imagine the Yankees would not allow such a move and are even more desperate for pitching.   I don't think anybody would give up the farm for him given his injury history.

I did just pick him up in my fantasy league after a dominant 3 weeks. 

Sections
Shortcuts