Erik Bedard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Erik Bedard

Erik Bedard, 32, is a free agent at the end of the season and he's only making $1 million. His 2011 numbers with Seattle: W(4-6), 3.00 ERA, 90 IP, 74 H, 26 BB, 85 K's, 1.11 WHIP. His career numbers (mostly in the AL East with Baltimore): W(55-47), 3.64 ERA, 1.30 WHIP. The guy can flat out pitch. He's remarkably consistent and has ace stuff. On the Red Sox, he'd only have to be a No. 3 or 4 starter.

Instead of overpaying for an NL West pitcher like Ubaldo Jimenez, aim for someone who routinely gets the job done in the American League. Erik Bedard may perhaps be the most underrated starting pitcher in baseball. You hardly ever hear about him and yet he always puts up great numbers.

Another guy available on the Mariners might be Brandon League, 28, who is closing for Seattle while David Aardsma recovers from injury. League will be arbitration eligible in 2012 and a free agent in 2013. His peers voted him onto the All-Star team this year, on account of his 3.35 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, and 26-7 K/BB ratio. He's earning $2.25 million this year.

As desirable as the above two players may be, any team trading for them may be forced to also take back a big contract. The Mariners presently have an albatross in underperforming INF/OF Chone Figgins (signed through 2013 with a vesting option for 2014 at $9 million per season). If the Red Sox agree to take Figgins off their payroll, the cost in prospects for Bedard and League would be significantly reduced.

Given the realities of the present 40-man roster, the Rule 5 draft, big market status, and a desire to retain top prospects, I think it would behoove the Red Sox to absorb the Chone Figgins contract, if it allows them to obtain Bedard and League for second-tier minor leaguers. While adding Figgins may seem like a total waste, I could easily envision Figgins having a Lowell-like resurgence in Boston. I doubt he's truly as bad as he's looked at cavernous Safeco Field. I remember him as a very pesky, dynamic, and versatile player in Anaheim who made things happen for a perennial playoff team. Even if he never hits again, he would still be a valuable utility player who could step in at any infield and outfield position, as well as pinch-run in the late innings. At worst, he'd be an overpaid Dave Roberts with the defensive versatility of Bill Hall. At best, he could return to his prior form from the Angels and platoon at shortstop and right-field.

For Figgins, Bedard and League, I'd offer the Mariners the following:

A. RHP Bobby Jenks or RHP Dan Wheeler (to partially mitigate Figgins' cost)
    B. Up to four of: C Luis Exposito, 1B Lars Anderson, 2B Oscar Tejeda, 3B Hector Luna, OF Darnell McDonald, OF Daniel Nava, INF/OF Drew Sutton, OF Juan Carlos Linares.
    C. Two of: RHP Michael Bowden, RHP Kyle Weiland, RHP Junichi Tazawa, RHP Stolmy Pimentel, RHP Scott Atchison, LHP Hideki Okajima, LHP Franklin Morales, LHP Randy Williams.

If the Mariners insist on three from Group C, I'd be amenable if they include an additional mid-level prospect. If they really wanted Che-Hsuan Lin, or some other second-tier player not listed above, I'd still try to work something out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Erik Bedard

I suspect that offer would get Seattle's attention ... and then some. Bobby Jenks, Luis Exposito, Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden probably would be enough to get the job done.

Jenks, who went to high school in the Seattle area, is owed $6 million in 2012, but Figgins is owed far more. Brandon League's 2012 salary could approach that after his All Star selection this year.

Bowden is a flyball pitcher who could benefit from the expanses of Safeco Field. Exposito and Anderson have lost their luster, but might be worth a gamble.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler. Have you slept through the last 4 months? We couldnt give those two losers away mate. 

How about we offer them Dice K, Lackey and JD Drew. Im sure they'll bite our hands off. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Erik Bedard:
    [QUOTE]Bobby Jenks and Dan Wheeler. Have you slept through the last 4 months? We couldnt give those two losers away mate.  How about we offer them Dice K, Lackey and JD Drew. Im sure they'll bite our hands off. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]
    Did you sleep through the entire trade proposal?

Dan Wheeler, who has about $1 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at 0.1 WAR* this season.

Bobby Jenks, who has about $8 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at 0.0 WAR this season.

Chone Figgins, who has about $20 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at a negative 1.4 WAR this season.

Which contract would be the hardest to give away, mate?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

What is the latest on Bedard?  Last I heard he was expected to maybe pitch against Boston this weekend.  Hasn't pitched since June 27 (knee).

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I'd love to know what some of you guys are smoking.

"He's remarkably consistent and has ace stuff."

If you mean he gets hurt every year than yes, he is remarkably consistent.  He hasn't had more than 15 starts since 2007.

"Bobby Jenks, Luis Exposito, Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden probably would be enough to get the job done."

Let's see, a last place team would want an overpriced, injured closer, a bad AAA catcher, a 1B with no pop when they just traded for Justin Smoak last yr, and a AAA middle reliever

And Chone Figgins....really.  It's worth so much to get Bedard that you'd pay Figgins' ridiculous salary and use him as a utility player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I cannot see Seatle interested in any player mentioned. Pitching is in high demand, especially with the Yankees in need.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

"If the Red Sox agree to take Figgins off their payroll, the cost in prospects for Bedard and League would be significantly reduced."

Why the world the Red Sox want Figgins?  Where he will play?  There is no way he can play RF.  Also Boston isnt going to have a high salary player sitting on the bench next to J.D. Drew!!

Also Boston isnt going to try to go over the Luxury tax cap.  Meaning, Boston is staying away from any salary dump players during the trading deadline.  Anyway, we already have Youkilis who is probably far better/much cheaper player than Figgins.

Forget the trade, it is not going to happen!!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

The problem with this idea is the quality of the good Seattle players. Those two, especially Bedard, are not the kinds of player who bring in big prospect returns even if it's just a 1 for 1 trade. Seattle brought Bedard back this year hoping 1) he could finally be healthy and pitch a little, and 2) that he'd pitch well enough to bring a trade return.

A prospect such as Lars Anderson, who has fallen off of top prospect status but could do well with a change of scenary, would probably be pretty close...maybe with one more low level prospect.

But taking Figgins back in return is ridiculous. His contract his huge, and he looks like a sunken cost at this point given how poorly he's been playing. Taking on Figgins is the kind of thing you do to entice the Mariners to deal away Felix Hernandez, not to ever so slightly drop the cost in prospects in a Bedard deal.

If the Sox took on Figgins in a Bedard deal, the MARINERS would probably have to be the ones to also include a top prospect in the deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I'd love to know what some of you guys are smoking. "He's remarkably consistent and has ace stuff. " If you mean he gets hurt every year than yes, he is remarkably consistent.  He hasn't had more than 15 starts since 2007. "Bobby Jenks, Luis Exposito, Lars Anderson and Michael Bowden probably would be enough to get the job done." Let's see, a last place team would want an overpriced, injured closer, a bad AAA catcher, a 1B with no pop when they just traded for Justin Smoak last yr, and a AAA middle reliever And Chone Figgins....really.  It's worth so much to get Bedard that you'd pay Figgins' ridiculous salary and use him as a utility player.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]
    That's the whole point ... the Mariners would not ask for much in return if the Red Sox took on the $20 million remaining on Chone Figgins' contract ... and that's why the Mariners would need to take on the "overpriced" Bobby Jenks.

The Mariners would get a combined 18 years of control of Michael Bowden, Lars Anderson and Luis Exposito, plus a year and two months of Bobby Jenks, while shedding the Figgins contract, giving up two months of Erik Bedard and a year and two months of Brandon League.

The Mariners would be more interested in the proposal than the Red Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erik Bedard : Did you sleep through the entire trade proposal? Dan Wheeler, who has about $1 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at 0.1 WAR* this season. Bobby Jenks, who has about $8 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at 0.0 WAR this season. Chone Figgins, who has about $20 million remaining on his contract, has been valued at a negative 1.4 WAR this season. Which contract would be the hardest to give away, mate? * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Apart from the fact its a ridiculous idea isnt Erik Bedard on the DL every other week? Thats exacty what we need, another pitcher made of glass. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Theo doesn't like LHP. If he could teach Lester to throw RH he would.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would think that the trade of League and Bedard would bring back a player that is already at the major league level, or is in the lower level, but a potential star. Lars, Espo and Bowden all are neither. I could see Seatle trading Figgans for similiar albatross contract, hoping a change of scenery for both players is positive. I don't see a rebuilding Seatle trading assets for salary relief, only for younger assets  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I would think that the trade of League and Bedard would bring back a player that is already at the major league level, or is in the lower level, but a potential star. Lars, Espo and Bowden all are neither. I could see Seatle trading Figgans for similiar albatross contract, hoping a change of scenery for both players is positive. I don't see a rebuilding Seatle trading assets for salary relief, only for younger assets  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

It's obvious that Mariners are not going to be buyers. So that makes them sellers or they simply just sit on the hands and play out the string. They have some assests they can move in an attempt to boslter thier depth at AAA and any team willing to take on Figgins will certainly get thier attention. Jack Wilson is another that can be had for a song...with Bedard, League, Pauley & Laffey being guys that they could move to address 2012 needs...

They entered this season with a few organizational goals with an eye on 2012 and beyond. Certainly this offseason they should explore adding a couple of sticks to lengthen thier lineup with Leftfield, 3rd base and DH all positions of need.
    Entering the year the M's organizational todo was...

1) Justin Smoak...is he an impact middle of the order bat?
    2) Dustin Ackerly is he a big league 2nd baseman and will his stick play in the 2 or 3 hole in the big leagues.
    3) Michael Piniada...Can he be a top of the rotation pitcher without having a plus offspeed pitch to compliment his fastball/slider combo and be a guy they can slot in behind Hernandez.
    4) Micheal Saunders & Pegairo, thier top two OF prospects both big athletic guys that hit lefthanded, struggled...Saunders who's a GG quality player, entering the season the question was can he hit at the big league level and the answer appears to be no! Pegaro simply was overmatched both in the field and with the bat. Lot;s of raw tools and another year at AAA seems to be the logical development path for him...

While all three of thier top guys have shown flashes of thier upside, questions still remain and my guess is that this time next year if all three of them play to thier potentail the M's will be buyers. Not sure that either (Saunders or Pegaro) are the long term answer in left...they also have a kid they brought up that was teamamte of Ackerly at NC that's currently slotted to play 3rd, but has struggled since being promoted, but the kid could be thier 3rd baseman of the future...

That's where the Sox match up well with them and could put a compelling offer together for League (Reddick or Kalish)...Stll not convinced they'll trade Bedard, and given his injury history not sure they'll be a ton of teams lining to uload top prospects for an oft injured guy that can't be counted on to finish strong...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I would think that the trade of League and Bedard would bring back a player that is already at the major league level, or is in the lower level, but a potential star. Lars, Espo and Bowden all are neither. I could see Seatle trading Figgans for similiar albatross contract, hoping a change of scenery for both players is positive. I don't see a rebuilding Seatle trading assets for salary relief, only for younger assets  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    The last time the Mariners traded a utility player to the Red Sox, Bill Hall had a revival of sorts in Boston.

Hall was coming off a negative WAR* season when the Mariners sent him to Boston for firstbaseman Casey Kotchman on January 7, 2010.

Chone Figgins' situation in Seattle resembles Bill Hall's situation with Milwaukee two years ago: an underperforming utility player with a huge contract. In August 2009, the Brewers placed Hall on waivers with about $10 million remaining on his contract; the Brewers ultimately sent Hall to Seattle for minor league pitcher Ruben Flores (who is now out of baseball) when the Mariners agreed to pay an estimated $1.25 million of the $10 million owed Hall.

Never underestimate the desire of the Seattle Mariners to unload the contract of Chone Figgins.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i dont think bedard is the answer to the sox pitching problems. Yes he is a good pitcher no doubt, and if he didn't get injured so often i would be all for going after him. But the problem is that he is too injury prone. The sox already have enough injured and injury prone starters. They dont need another one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---TheBabe-----. Show ---TheBabe-----'s posts

The sawx are not taking on chone's salary. They do not want to pay the luxury tax as evidenced by the agone extension charade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

figgins used to impress me when he was with the angels, but it was never as a power hitter so i do not see how changing fields could be the only reason that he is no longer the player he used to be.

all of his numbers are down which suggests that the is either injured, has lost it or some combination of both.  his numbers right now suggest that navarro is every bit the player figgins is if navarro was to be given far more at bats.  the only thing that figgins could do better than navarro is that he can run a little faster.

adding whatever speed difference that figgins could bring to boston is certainly not worth his salary and whatever players had to be given up to get him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The sawx are not taking on chone's salary. They do not want to pay the luxury tax as evidenced by the agone extension charade.

If Jenks is included in the deal, the Red Sox only pick up about $6 million between Bedard, League and Figgins this year, and Figgins' cost next year would effectively only be $3 million (Figgins' $9 million minus Jenks' $6 million).

Drew's $15 million goes to Gonzalez next year, Ortiz will probably earn about $12.5 million again, leaving the Red Sox with Papelbon's money ($12 million) plus Cameron's money ($7.5 million) plus Scutaro's money ($5.5 million - $1.5 million 2012 buyout) to spend on arbitration-eligible players and free agents. That's a total of $23.5 million, assuming the Red Sox decide to open 2012 with the same payroll as 2011.

Ellsbury will likely receive a hefty raise of about $5 million, bringing that total down to $18.5 million available. All the other guys are entering their first years of arbitration eligibility. Slot another $5 million increase in payroll for them (which would be somewhat generous). Jenks and League cancel each other out for next year, still leaving $13.5 million. If $9 million of that goes to Figgins, there's still $4.5 million left for a backup catcher and sixth starter/long reliever. Payroll for 2012 would not be any higher than it is for 2011, although this assumes that Erik Bedard would purely be a rental for the rest of this season.

Sample 2012 roster:

1. C Jarrod Saltalamachhia
    2. 1B Adrian Gonzalez
    3. 2B Dustin Pedroia
    4. SS Jose Iglesias
    5. 3B Kevin Youkilis
    6. LF Carl Crawford
    7. CF Jacoby Ellsbury
    8. RF Josh Reddick
    9. DH David Ortiz

10. C Jason Varitek
    11. C/DH/PH Ryan Lavarnway
    12. INF/OF Yamaico Navarro
    13. INF/OF/PR Chone Figgins
    14. OF/PR Ryan Kalish

15. SP Josh Beckett
    16. SP Jon Lester
    17. SP Clay Buchholz
    18. SP John Lackey
    19. SP Andrew Miller

20. RP Daniel Bard
    21. RP Brandon League
    22. RP Alfredo Aceves
    23. RP Matt Albers
    24. RP Felix Doubront
    25. RP Franklin Morales/Scott Atchison/Randy Williams/Tim Wakefield/Whoever

Daisuke Matsuzaka joins the starting pitching mix for the second half of 2012. Maybe Doubront, Aceves, Wilson (good numbers in AA), and Tazawa get a look for the No. 5 slot too.

Lavarnway would be used as a pinch-hitter for Varitek and/or Iglesias in the late innings, with Figgins pinch-running, and Navarro entering as a defensive replacement.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--------. Show The--Babe--------'s posts

[QUOTE]The sawx are not taking on chone's salary. They do not want to pay the luxury tax as evidenced by the agone extension charade. If Jenks is included in the deal, the Red Sox only pick up about $6 million between Bedard, League and Figgins this year, and Figgins' cost next year would effectively only be $3 million (Figgins' $9 million minus Jenks' $6 million). Drew's $15 million goes to Gonzalez next year, Ortiz will probably earn about $12.5 million again, leaving the Red Sox with Papelbon's money ($12 million) plus Cameron's money ($7.5 million) plus Scutaro's money ($5.5 million - $1.5 million 2012 buyout) to spend on arbitration-eligible players and free agents. That's a total of $23.5 million, assuming the Red Sox decide to open 2012 with the same payroll as 2011. Ellsbury will likely receive a hefty raise of about $5 million, bringing that total down to $18.5 million available. All the other guys are entering their first years of arbitration eligibility. Slot another $5 million increase in payroll for them (which would be somewhat generous). Jenks and League cancel each other out for next year, still leaving $13.5 million. If $9 million of that goes to Figgins, there's still $4.5 million left for a backup catcher and sixth starter/long reliever. Payroll for 2012 would not be any higher than it is for 2011, although this assumes that Erik Bedard would purely be a rental for the rest of this season. Sample 2012 roster: 1. C Jarrod Saltalamachhia 2. 1B Adrian Gonzalez 3. 2B Dustin Pedroia 4. SS Jose Iglesias 5. 3B Kevin Youkilis 6. LF Carl Crawford 7. CF Jacoby Ellsbury 8. RF Josh Reddick 9. DH David Ortiz 10. C Jason Varitek 11. C/DH/PH Ryan Lavarnway 12. INF/OF Yamaico Navarro 13. INF/OF/PR Chone Figgins 14. OF/PR Ryan Kalish 15. SP Josh Beckett 16. SP Jon Lester 17. SP Clay Buchholz 18. SP John Lackey 19. SP Andrew Miller 20. RP Daniel Bard 21. RP Brandon League 22. RP Alfredo Aceves 23. RP Matt Albers 24. RP Felix Doubront 25. RP Franklin Morales/Scott Atchison/Randy Williams/Tim Wakefield/Whoever Daisuke Matsuzaka joins the starting pitching mix for the second half of 2012. Maybe Doubront, Aceves, Wilson (good numbers in AA), and Tazawa get a look for the No. 5 slot too. Lavarnway would be used as a pinch-hitter for Varitek and/or Iglesias in the late innings, with Figgins pinch-running, and Navarro entering as a defensive replacement.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

That's great, but we are not talking about next year's cap. They have shown that they will not take on enough salary to put them over this season, hence the reason for the timing of the announcement of agone's extension. Anyone who believes that theo traded his cherished farm pieces for a maybe is fooling themself.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erik Bedard : That's great, but we are not talking about next year's cap. They have shown that they will not take on enough salary to put them over this season, hence the reason for the timing of the announcement of agone's extension. Anyone who believes that theo traded his cherished farm pieces for a maybe is fooling themself.
    Posted by The--Babe--------[/QUOTE]You may be right but you are adding up one and one and getting three at this point. The RS have paid CBT before. But why pay CBT when you can do an extension in April?

That said I happen to agree that Bedard is probably to iffy for what the package would be to move even more minor league prospects for the RS. The same way Cashman is saying he is not going to move his prospects for bullben help. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--------. Show The--Babe--------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Erik Bedard : You may be right but you are adding up one and one and getting three at this point. The RS have paid CBT before. But why pay CBT when you can do an extension in April? That said I happen to agree that Bedard is probably to iffy for what the package would be to move even more minor league prospects for the RS. The same way Cashman is saying he is not going to move his prospects for bullben help. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Believe what you want, but all indications are that the sawx will not be taking on salary. I could understand for a guy like felix hernandez you make an exception, not for figgins and bedard.

Sections
Shortcuts