ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?

Good list.  Gonzalez will make it by the time he's done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Not sure I would put Ruth on the list.  I consider him to be the best player ever, but he was a pitcher for most of his Red Sox career, and I'm not sure he would be considered one of their best 4-5 pitchers ever (though he was a good one).  IMO, he never played enough in the OF with Boston to merit inclusion from that position.

Plus there is that Yankee stenchWink

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I would have Yaz under Speaker, Young and Pedro.  Maybe Foxx too, but he only had a handful of great seasons for the Sox so as with Ruth he shouldn't really be on the list anywhere.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?:
    [QUOTE]Ted Williams, LF  Carl Yastrzemski, LF Carl Yastrzemski, LF Yaz was an All-Star 18 times in his illustrious 23-year career with Boston. Tris Speaker, CF Tris Speaker, CF Speaker ranks fifth all-time in baseball with a lifetime .345 batting average. Pedro Martinez, RHP Pedro Martinez, RHP Ranks first in Sox history with a .760 winning percentage and third in strikeouts with 1,683 in only seven years at Fenway. Cy Young, RHP Cy Young, RHP Pitched for the Sox from 1901-1908 with a combined 2.00 ERA. Roger Clemens, RHP Roger Clemens, RHP Clemens had his heyday in Boston during the late 1980s and in 1986 became just the second pitcher to win the AL MVP Award. Jimmie Foxx, 1B Jimmie Foxx, 1B Foxx was an All-Star in all six of his full seasons with the Sox from 1936 to 1941. Babe Ruth, LHP/OF Babe Ruth, LHP/OF Before emerging as one of the greatest power hitters of all time, Ruth dominated on the mound in his first six years in Boston. Lefty Grove, LHP Lefty Grove, LHP One of the greatest southpaw pitchers in Sox history, Grove was a five-time All-Star in eight years with Boston from 1934 to 1941. Bobby Doerr, 2B Bobby Doerr, 2B The Hall of Fame second baseman played all of his 14 seasons with Boston from 1937 to 1951. Jim Rice LF/DH Jim Rice LF/DH Rice ranks third on Boston's all-time list in homers (382), RBIs (1,451) and hits (2,452). Manny Ramirez, LF Manny Ramirez, LF A 12-time All-Star and nine-time Silver Slugger Award winner. Wade Boggs, 3B Carlton Fisk, C Carlton Fisk, C Fisk etched his name in Sox history on October 21, 1975 with his dramatic walk-off homer in Game 6 of the World Series. Smoky Joe Wood, RHP David Ortiz, 1B/DH Dwight Evans, RF Joe Cronin,SS Luis Tiant, RHP Harry Hooper, RF Mel Parnell, LHP Mel Parnell, LHP In his 10-year career with the Sox from 1947 to 1956, Parnell put together a 123-75 record with a 3.50 ERA and 732 strikeouts. Jimmy Collins, 3B Jimmy Collins, 3B Considered the best fielder of his era and revolutionized the 3B position, he played in Boston from 1895-1907 and was a player/manager for the Boston Americans. Dom DiMaggio, CF Dom DiMaggio, CF Often overshadowed by his older brother Joe, the "Little Professor" hit .298 in 11 seasons with Boston. Nomar Garciaparra, SS Nomar Garciaparra, SS A five-time All-Star with Boston, Garciaparra batted .323 with 178 HR and 690 RBIs in nine years for the Sox. Johnny Pesky, SS Johnny Pesky, SS A Red Sox legend and .313 hitter with Boston, Pesky recorded at least 200 hits in each of his first three seasons.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

It was fine. If I really studied it, I might have some quibbles here and there with the top 100 that they did, but nothing really stands out as anything agregious. 

It's hard because after you get past some no-brainers -- Williams and Yaz at 1-2 -- you're stuck comparing eras and various lengths of stints on top of that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

where is Pedey???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ted Williams has to be number 1. There can be no argument about that. After that , it is just a matter of opinion. Obviously , guys like Pedro and Yaz belong near the top.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Though his career offensive stats may not be HOF worthy.....I would think that the Impact Tek had on this team and the championships warrnats him consideration, probably more so than Nomar.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Fred Lynn, Bob Stanley, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield should sue for non-support. Nah, it's hard to nail down 25, the 25 listed pretty good list overall.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

I would add Dustin Pedroia to this list even this early in his career.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?:
    [QUOTE]I would move Manny up...Rice down...Evans up
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Maybe, except I think Manny's negative antics and the way things ended should be considered. I'm OK where Rice is, but I'm OK with moving Evans up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Any way we can add all three to tomorrow's lineup?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?:
    [QUOTE]Any way we can add all three to tomorrow's lineup?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Heck as clutch as Luis Tiant was, I'd give him the ball tomorrow and say, "It's not for the first pitch. It's to show these young bucks how a real clutch pitcher gets it done when he's not in his prime."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Wake and Vtek?

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No love for Marty Barrett?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts