ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?

The one who would have been the 2nd GREATEST RED SOX ever had his career cut short. He  160 HRs by the age of 25 and 56 with one eye in 69 and 70 and did not play in 68.
    If he played to a normal age he would have had 570+ Hrs just based off his average for HRs.I wonder how many he would have hit with two good eyes in 70 and the years he was 25 to 34 especially playing in Fenway.

TONY CONIGLIARO always one of my top 3 RS players

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Harry Agannis would have been another great one. No doubt about Tony C., what a shame about what happened to him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I had Pedro, Manny and Papi higher than they did, and Clemens and Boggs lower. Overall though, I think they did pretty well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

All great ballplayers...But who was Harry Hooper??

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Speaker should be higher. Piersall #70? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd probably put Pedro 2nd.

Nomar wouldn't be on my top 50 list.

Other than that, nothing jumps out at me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?:
    [QUOTE]All great ballplayers...But who was Harry Hooper??
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

He had 34 SH's back in Oh ten.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Harry Hooper RF (1909-1920)
    Along with Speaker and Lewis  made up the greatest defensive outfield of the era. Hit two home runs in the 1915 World Series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How in the heck does Ellesbury make this list? Maybe if he had another 3 or 4 years like 2011... strange... can only imagine how many qualified players from days gone by that were left out.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Sorry, I don't think Ruth, Manny or Dewey should be on the list. Ruth did not play enough years in boston, manny was/is tanted and no offense to Evans, he was a long serving but only above average player. Because it's 2012 a lot of people do not know or understand how good DiMaggio and Hooper were in their prime. There is already a building case for Pedroia and arguably for Papelbon ( specially with their start this year) don't understand questions on Yaz who is a solid second to the greatest hitter ever. Clemens was clean with Boston so deserves his spot. There is a reason they name the pitching award after Cy Young ( the one record in all of sports that will never be broken. Ever) all this said, Boston has had a lot of great players in their little band box called Fenway that are not listed either a Lynn, Runnels or Scott or maybe a Raditz or a Wilson. Either way these list are fun and open for discussion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dwight Evans was a monster, how in the hell do you call him a "above average". 11 times he hit 20 homers, 9-time Gold Glove. Led the majors in walks three different seasons. Drove in 97 or more RBI six times. 1.000 OPS in WS play, 3 homers, 3 doubles, a triple, 14 RBI in his two WS. He had some injury plagued years early on his career, and he took him a while to turn into a premium hitter, but when he did he was one of the 1980s best players...He hit for power, he got on base (led the league in on-base percentage in 1982), and he was obviously the AL's best defensive OF during his time. I'm tired of the Evans wasn't good enough. It's like when people rip Yastrzemski's Hall of Fame career because of five or six seasons. Enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

"he blossomed late." He had 11 straight years of consistently producing. Try finding that anymore. People act like he had one or two good years. Think again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

How about super sub Jerry Adair. The impossible dream might not have happened if not for his clutch play.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

In response to "Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?": [QUOTE]Dwight Evans was a monster, how in the hell do you call him a "above average". 11 times he hit 20 homers, 9-time Gold Glove. Led the majors in walks three different seasons. Drove in 97 or more RBI six times. 1.000 OPS in WS play, 3 homers, 3 doubles, a triple, 14 RBI in his two WS. He had some injury plagued years early on his career, and he took him a while to turn into a premium hitter, but when he did he was one of the 1980s best players...He hit for power, he got on base (led the league in on-base percentage in 1982), and he was obviously the AL's best defensive OF during his time. I'm tired of the Evans wasn't good enough. It's like when people rip Yastrzemski's Hall of Fame career because of five or six seasons. Enough. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] Dewey was far from a monster. 97 or more ribbies 6 times is monster in an eight year career not 20. Considering the players batting in front of him that's what I call above average.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right?:
    [QUOTE]How in the heck does Ellesbury make this list? Maybe if he had another 3 or 4 years like 2011... strange... can only imagine how many qualified players from days gone by that were left out.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Several players on on this list based on 3-4 years with the Sox, including my alltime favorite, Tommy Harper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Where's Dick Stuart? LOL

That's the trouble with these "Greatest" lists. There is always someone you think should be on there that isn't, and someone (Nomar, Manny?) who you think might not belong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, I don't think Ruth, Manny or Dewey should be on the list. Ruth did not play enough years in boston, manny was/is tanted and no offense to Evans, he was a long serving but only above average player. Because it's 2012 a lot of people do not know or understand how good DiMaggio and Hooper were in their prime. There is already a building case for Pedroia and arguably for Papelbon ( specially with their start this year) don't understand questions on Yaz who is a solid second to the greatest hitter ever. Clemens was clean with Boston so deserves his spot. There is a reason they name the pitching award after Cy Young ( the one record in all of sports that will never be broken. Ever) all this said, Boston has had a lot of great players in their little band box called Fenway that are not listed either a Lynn, Runnels or Scott or maybe a Raditz or a Wilson. Either way these list are fun and open for discussion.
    Posted by nonola[/QUOTE]

The issue some people - including me - have about Yaz is not that he wasn't an excellent player overall, or that he doesn't belong in the HOF, or that he didn't have one of the greatest seasons ever in 1967.....it's that he had a short peak at "great" finishing at age 30 then a long tail at good/very good that beefed up his counting stats.

This isn't an issue of comparing stats from different eras;  look at how few times he led the league at any "major" hitting stat after 1970:  runs once, sac flies twice. That's it....being driven in by someone else's hit, and making an out with a runner on third and less than two outs.

He was never close to the best players in the league after 1970....and he was absolutely not the Sox' 2nd greatest player in my opinion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]"he blossomed late." He had 11 straight years of consistently producing. Try finding that anymore. People act like he had one or two good years. Think again.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

And people continue to ignore his defense. It wasn't like he was an average right fielder with those offensive stats. He was arguably one of the greatest defensive rightfielders of all time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Where the heck is Darren Bragg?

;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Boston:The 25 Greatest Red Sox Players- Did they get it right? : And people continue to ignore his defense. It wasn't like he was an average right fielder with those offensive stats. He was arguably one of the greatest defensive rightfielders of all time.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

When people started the whole stats craze, OPS, and the comparison game, then the steroid era bloated stats, that's when people lost what a good season is MLB. What Evans did for so many years is not that easy, and it was done without steroids. People who use the stat defense argument obviously never really watched him play. Same with Yaz.

25. This post has been removed.