Espn broadcast unwatchable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elktonnick. Show elktonnick's posts

Espn broadcast unwatchable

Over the years we've all bashed Joe Morgan and the Sunday night ESPN game.  However, last night's game was one of the worst baseball broadcasts I've ever seen.  Unless one was actually watching the game, one would have hardly known that a game was being played by listening to the guys in the booth.  I understand that the Posada story was a big one but the annoucers spent more of the game talking about that drama rather than actually broadcasting the game.  The highlight (or lowlight) of the broadcast was Ortiz's homerun.  The annoucers were so busy yammering away that they hardly noticed.  It was:  "Oh by the way" Ortiz just homered.  The camera work was equally inept.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Espn broadcast unwatchable

perhaps but it was still far better than Morgan.......i will never listen to Morgan broadcast again.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Never thought I would say it but I miss Miller and Morgan. Jon Miller IMO always was a joy and Joe Morgan had his quirks, but Bobby V is just awful. It actually scares me that impressionable people will listen to Bobby and not understand that what he is saying is why he can no longer get a job managing but rather think it is insight.

Dan Schulman isn't my cup of team but he is competent play by play guy. He has a style where he announces big plays with exaggerated excitement that is sure to annoy the fans of the side being victimized by the play but he does it both ways.   

Orel is as a telecaster much like he was as a pitcher, effective but far from exciting. Of the three he is informative and insightful but his unassuming style is crushed by the bombastic and often antiquated views of Bobby V.

As for beating the Posada story into the ground, whether it is Fox or ESPN, national broadcasts are dominated by a pre-game storyline and the cast and crew almost never move away from it. Last night was no exception as who doesn't love some new school Bronz Zoo action?

Just my takes and oh yeah did I mention I can't stand Bobby Valentine? :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Who and how much is Orel Hershiser paying to be on camera?  Just the worst. Worse than Joe Morgan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I actually listen to the broadcasts on low or mute.  I guess because I was used to being annoyed by Morgan and Miller.  Maybe it was because I always felt they were anti-Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CuseSoxFan25. Show CuseSoxFan25's posts

I thought the lowest part was the sycophantic ranting about the wonder that is Mr Leigh Texiera, while at the very same time Youk is working through a great AB resulting in a 3 run shot.  

So stupid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boobonhodskins. Show boobonhodskins's posts

I don't mind the Sunday Night Baseball brodcast at all anymore now that Morgan is gone. Last nights broadcast was worlds better than the Fox Saturday baseball broadcast with McCarver incoherently rambiling on for ten minutes over the change in heighth of the pitchers mound from 15" to 10", throughout the years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

Isn't Sean McDonough doing Tuesday night baseball now? He did a Sox game recently (against the Angels maybe)?  Anyway, here's hoping he gets nominated soon to Sunday night.  IMO I cannot think of anyone worthy of doing color from the ESPN or Fox family.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Espn broadcast unwatchable:
    [QUOTE]Isn't Sean McDonough doing Tuesday night baseball now? He did a Sox game recently (against the Angels maybe)?  Anyway, here's hoping he gets nominated soon to Sunday night.  IMO I cannot think of anyone worthy of doing color from the ESPN or Fox family.
    Posted by kegarret[/QUOTE]Barry Larkin is doing pre-game on ESPN and from what I have seen of his work on MLB-TV he is very knowledgable and certainly more energetic than Orel. If ESPN wanted to do the Disney thing like have done with Monday Night Football from time to time Kevin Millar or Mitch Williams both who do work on MLB TV would be a kick. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

They are trying to link baseball to the Hollywood medium.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes Sean did the Sox game last  Tue night on ESPN

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

I have yet to hear from any Internet poster who likes any media person whether he does play-by-play, color, commentary, in-the-stands color, beat reporting, columns, pregame or postgame, or analysis. For some reason  the typical internet poster thinks that he is more intelligent, more informed, more educated, and more reasonable than all of the above. What would Dr. Phil have to say about the mental state of such posters. Where is Dr. Laura to analyze you? Why exactly is every media person terrible and you could do better? A pipe dream.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Espn broadcast unwatchable:
    [QUOTE]Never thought I would say it but I miss Miller and Morgan. Jon Miller IMO always was a joy and Joe Morgan had his quirks, but Bobby V is just awful. It actually scares me that impressionable people will listen to Bobby and not understand that what he is saying is why he can no longer get a job managing but rather think it is insight. Dan Schulman isn't my cup of team but he is competent play by play guy. He has a style where he announces big plays with exaggerated excitement that is sure to annoy the fans of the side being victimized by the play but he does it both ways.    Orel is as a telecaster much like he was as a pitcher, effective but far from exciting. Of the three he is informative and insightful but his unassuming style is crushed by the bombastic and often antiquated views of Bobby V. As for beating the Posada story into the ground, whether it is Fox or ESPN, national broadcasts are dominated by a pre-game storyline and the cast and crew almost never move away from it. Last night was no exception as who doesn't love some new school Bronz Zoo action? Just my takes and oh yeah did I mention I can't stand Bobby Valentine? :)
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

His insight to the game may be helpful to someone who knows absolutely nothing, and his tone is annoying and deprecatory. John Stirling is in a similar category. And, while I admit Morgan was error prone and mildly racist, I liked him, and he was insightful; I also LOVE McCarver, 'cause of his nostalgia bent (I'm 57) culturally and sports-wise. Plus, he knows his stuff; practically every time he questions a manager's move, it comes back to bite the manager, and he was one of the 1st to point out why the Yankees roster this season is problematic. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

This team is miles better than last year's.  Bobby Valentine is OK, not necessarily the smartest guy, but he's upbeat and his views on managing can be interesting, if not overly surprising.  Listening Orel hershiser talk about pitching is simply a blast; listening to him talk about anything else isn't so great since he has limited knowledge in other areas of the game, but that's to be expected.  I could see a Nomar/Orel/play-by-play guy type of trio working a little better... I personally prefer hearing ex-players talk about the game, as long as they arent egotistic jerks like Joe Morgan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

I always thought Joe Morgan had a "chip on his shoulder". Ever since Barry Bonds made the statement years ago; that of all the teams in MLB, the RS were the one club he probably couldn't play for because he "heard" it was still a racist city.

You always had the feeling Morgan agreed with him, even though he never came out a said so.  There was just sometning about the way Morgan sounded during RS broadcasts, that said he just never liked Boston or the Franchise.

I agree with other posters here about last nights game. If I heard one more mention of the Jorge Posada incident I was going to lose my lunch.