ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!

I am upset with FO management because BOTH Theo AND Francona were let go ! Bad enough to lose one, our foundation of 2004 & 2007 is crumbling. RSN is falling behind Cubs/Theo, no field boss, man, I hate this, both Henry and Lucchino have histoty with disassembling winning teams...this is just unacceptable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Re: ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!

Theo is getting ready to hamstring the Cubs.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!:
    [QUOTE]Theo is getting ready to hamstring the Cubs.......
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that going after Pujols is a bad idea?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wait, so, let me get this straight:  

The Cubs contacting Pujols = Lucchino & Henry dismantling Red Sox

and

if the Cubs sign Pujols, they are hamstrung.

OK, got it.  I think.  Theo good.  Theo bad.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

think Pujols is a great player...nothing against him.
    but signing him as for the Cubs may be a wrong move...in the long term...will tie up too much $$$.
    not saying it is bad for Theo to sign a great player....but will it be the best move for that club in the condition that it is in?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]think Pujols is a great player...nothing against him. but signing him as for the Cubs may be a wrong move...in the long term...will tie up too much $$$. not saying it is bad for Theo to sign a great player....but will it be the best move for that club in the condition that it is in?

true.  the cubs have a lot of dough tied up in mediocrity and have many holes to fill.  So, point taken.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

let's worry about ourselves...I'm all for an open forum but the last thing I want to be a part of is Red Sox chat that is dominated by every move Theo makes in Chicago...he needs to drum up excitement there so it's not a bad move but personally, i wouldn't sign anyone for that megamoney...it never comes out well (arod/Crawford...etc)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

he'll sell tickets..weaken competition.....but it will take alot of years and $$$$

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Sign him or not, contacting is a required doing, the mid-west version of the Yankees/Red Sox fun and games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Pay him more $ per year @ 6 years.  Make him the highest salaried player per annum, recoup investment through jersey and paraphenalia sales, pay salary tax if necessary, get possibly the greatest all-around first baseman ever (in his prime), and be able to release him by the time he turns 38.  I see no reason why Albert can't play an average 1B and still be a monster slugger at ages 36, 37 and 38. 

This is a no-brainer.  I'm also perplexed why GMs cite "weight" (yes, thats right, weight... apparently Fielder carries his fat azz better than Pujols?!??!) as a reason to choose Fielder over Pujols.  Fielder looks like he's five half-smokes and a bag of chips away from stroking out on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

My take all along is that there is no way the Cards let Pujols get away.  Now if Albert just wants to leave STL, which I don't believe he does, I still don't see him burning the Cards and the fans and going to the rivals for a few extra dollars.  He has so much good will in that city, it just doesn't make sense.

I will say, whoever gets him is largely paying for past production.  If he gets 8 years that takes him to 40 yrs old, no way you're convincing me that years in 6-8 of that contract he is going to produce like a 30 million a year player. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Theo would be an idiot if he didn't "contact" Pujols, even if he has no intention of signing him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

That was my impression too, originally.  I think the fact Pujols has already made it to FA demonstrates the Cards' interest level in him and, vice versa, his interest level in the Cards.

I can definitely see Pujols, having won the 2 WSCs with the Cards, wanting to seek further glory and solidify his legacy while bringing a WSC to the Cubbies.  Definitely.  A nice change of pace, a historic franchise with passionate fans, a top tier front office and an owner who is hell bent on doing whatever is necessary to win.

Sounds mighty fine to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Cubs just driving up the price. No way Pujols leaves the world champs for a minor league team. He wants to win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!:
    [QUOTE]I am upset with FO management because BOTH Theo AND Francona were let go ! Bad enough to lose one, our foundation of 2004 & 2007 is crumbling. RSN is falling behind Cubs/Theo, no field boss, man, I hate this, both Henry and Lucchino have histoty with disassembling winning teams...this is just unacceptable.
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

You really need to read carefully on the history of Henry with the Marlins. It is on Wikepedia.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]think Pujols is a great player...nothing against him. but signing him as for the Cubs may be a wrong move...in the long term...will tie up too much $$$. not saying it is bad for Theo to sign a great player....but will it be the best move for that club in the condition that it is in?

For the money he's already turned down from the Cards, I think it would be a bad idea.  Everything the Cubs should be doing for a year or two is ridding themselves of the huge contracts and building the farm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

In Response to ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent!:
    [QUOTE]I am upset with FO management because BOTH Theo AND Francona were let go ! Bad enough to lose one, our foundation of 2004 & 2007 is crumbling. RSN is falling behind Cubs/Theo, no field boss, man, I hate this, both Henry and Lucchino have histoty with disassembling winning teams...this is just unacceptable.
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

This is a winning team??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The Cubs could use a marquee offensive player, and they have money to spend.  Pujols is the #1 marquee offensive player available.  Of course Theo contacts him.

The Sox do NOT need another marquee offensive player, especially at 1B.  There is absolutely no connection between Theo's move and the Sox, except in the eyes of someone obsessing over what the Sox's former GM is doing in his new job.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Actuyally, its the PERFECT move.

Sign Pujols to a 10-year $300mill contract.  Let Albert carry your team to a World Series.  And then the contract doesn't matter.

Since we all know that once the Cubs finally win the World Series, the world is going to end...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

signing him to a 8 year deal would be risky, but the cubbies could use all the help they can get;

but to contact him, how can that be a bad move?

anyways, we just have to wait to Theo to sign him, then he can trade him for Lackey...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]let's worry about ourselves...I'm all for an open forum but the last thing I want to be a part of is Red Sox chat that is dominated by every move Theo makes in Chicago...he needs to drum up excitement there so it's not a bad move but personally, i wouldn't sign anyone for that megamoney...it never comes out well (arod/Crawford...etc)
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Incredibly, I'm going to agree with you. I have a feeling we are going to be following the Cubs on the forum as well as the Sox. I don't see the point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Headline: CUBS contact Pujols Agent! : Incredibly, I'm going to agree with you. I have a feeling we are going to be following the Cubs on the forum as well as the Sox. I don't see the point.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Geo and Kim.  Let's just move on with following the Sox.  I don't care much about the Cubs and I don't care what they do unless it directly affects what the Sox are trying to do.