ESPN Power Rankings Released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

ESPN Power Rankings Released

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released

Pretty much what Cafardo or someone like him said.  The Sox 6th in the AL behind Yankees, Rangers, Angels, Tigers, and Rays.  To be honest, I think that is fair given that the Sox bullpen currently strikes terror into the hearts of the RSN.  Hitting and fielding look fine.  Starting pitching might be fine even with Bard and Doubront in the rotation.  But the bullpen looks horrible right now.  Aceves might end up pitching 150 innings all from the bullpen and a new world's record. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

i have gazed into my crystal ball and the future is bleak.The astro's will not be in the world series this year,ditto for both sox,white and red.The Rays will hit 140 homers by upton,pena.jennings and longoria....will win 110 games and the WS in 4 games sweeping those poor Phillies in 4 straight.Yes the future is bleak for all not a Rays fan.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It's all just an educated guess until they have played a month or so.

I found it interesting that the top 6 teams were all in the AL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released:
    [QUOTE]Pretty much what Cafardo or someone like him said.  The Sox 6th in the AL behind Yankees, Rangers, Angels, Tigers, and Rays.  To be honest, I think that is fair given that the Sox bullpen currently strikes terror into the hearts of the RSN.  Hitting and fielding look fine.  Starting pitching might be fine even with Bard and Doubront in the rotation.  But the bullpen looks horrible right now.  Aceves might end up pitching 150 innings all from the bullpen and a new world's record. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I'm going old school on you, but check out Dick Radatz in "64. He appeared in 79 games, pitching 157 innings was 16-9 with 29 saves. He also set a relief pitching strike out record with 181k's. Of course two years latter his arm was shot and hung around till "69. Any oldtimer will remember the way he tapped the mound on his delivery, and would throw his arms up in the air at the end of the game with a Sox victory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Should be this year's motto.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Phillies are # 8?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I see the Sox as one of the WC teams, but saying that, it will come down to their bullpen, the biggest area of concern on the team without question.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Phillies are # 8?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Great pitching is obvious, but will they score enough runs, I see a lot of low scoring games which can grind a team down over 162 game schedule.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

RS have a lot to prove this year. Based on what happened at end of last year I think RS find away to make playoffs. Let someone else have rotation injuries RS suffered last year and hopefully RS stay healthy and surprise alot of doubters. For 3 mos last year RS were best team in baseball, if they get anything from back end of rotation have to be better than the 5.68 era the RS got from there 3-5 starter which includes Buchholz stats. Like what Padilla and Cook have shown is ST, which should help provide depth if one of the starters stumble or get hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

AL east puts 4 in the top 12. 

But really, who cares?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]RS have a lot to prove this year. Based on what happened at end of last year I think RS find away to make playoffs. Let someone else have rotation injuries RS suffered last year and hopefully RS stay healthy and surprise alot of doubters. For 3 mos last year RS were best team in baseball, if they get anything from back end of rotation have to be better than the 5.68 era the RS got from there 3-5 starter which includes Buchholz stats. Like what Padilla and Cook have shown is ST, which should help provide depth if one of the starters stumble or get hurt.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]

Last year has nothing to do with whether they make the playoffs or not this year.

As always it will be all about health and pitching.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to ESPN Power Rankings Released:
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Things like this crack me up just like trying to predict where a young prospect should be ranked. 

The Sox and Yanks are about as equal in talent as two teams could be going into the season.  They both have huge question marks that will only be proven or solved on the field, not by a bunch of guys that don't have a clue if they are coming or going. 

I can't wait for the season to start, everyone save these rankings so we can discuss them later.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released :   I'm going old school on you, but check out Dick Radatz in "64. He appeared in 79 games, pitching 157 innings was 16-9 with 29 saves. He also set a relief pitching strike out record with 181k's. Of course two years latter his arm was shot and hung around till "69. Any oldtimer will remember the way he tapped the mound on his delivery, and would throw his arms up in the air at the end of the game with a Sox victory.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Of course then there is Mike Marshall who pitched in 106 games for the Dodgers in 1974, all in relief, and threw 208.1 innings (15-12, 21 saves, 2.42 ERA).  He had only pitched 92 games for 179 innings the year before for Montreal (14-11, 31 saves, 2.66 ERA).  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to ESPN Power Rankings Released : Things like this crack me up just like trying to predict where a young prospect should be ranked.  The Sox and Yanks are about as equal in talent as two teams could be going into the season.  They both have huge question marks that will only be proven or solved on the field, not by a bunch of guys that don't have a clue if they are coming or going.  I can't wait for the season to start, everyone save these rankings so we can discuss them later.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : I disagree. The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

I agree, there are just too many unsettled issues with the Sox pitching.

I wondered when the Sox signed Bailey if the health issues he had last season would just discontinue with a different uniform, they have not.

Now we will find out if Mark Melancon can be a stopper in the ALE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : Of course then there is Mike Marshall who pitched in 106 games for the Dodgers in 1974, all in relief, and threw 208.1 innings (15-12, 21 saves, 2.42 ERA).  He had only pitched 92 games for 179 innings the year before for Montreal (14-11, 31 saves, 2.66 ERA).  
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]

Mike was one of a kind, he pitched more those two years, then starters go today. BTW wasn't his training routine suppose to revolutionize pitching?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do.
    -TBINFL

The Sox biggest questions:
    1) Bard as a starter?
    2) Bailey as our closer taking over Paps role?
    3) Doubront as a starter until Dice-K is ready (Cook)?
    4) Aviles at SS (Iggy)?
    5) Youk's health?
    6) Salty as our catcher (Shopp/Lava)?

The Yankees biggest questions:

1) Phil Hughes the 3rd starter?
       I get the feeling that if a Sox pitcher coming off a 5.79 ERA and 1.49 WHIP was going to be our 3rd starter, TBINFL would be laughing something silly.

2) Can Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova repeat 2011's successes?
       I'd bet one doesn't.

3) Can two of these guys really fill out the back end of the pen in a positive way?
    Clay Rapada, DJ Mitchell, David Phelps, and Adam Warren sound so much better than Morales, Albers, Bowden, and Tazawa... not!

4) Can players at these ages really keep healthy every year?
    Rivera    42
    Ibanez   40 (in June)
    Jeter      38 (in June)
    Kuroda  37
    ARod      37 (in July)
    Garcia   35
    Jones    35 (in April)
    I wouldn't bet on continuing good health of all of these guys.

5) Will Swisher continue his decline?
    Tough call.

6) Will the Yankee catcher repeat in underperforming vs the Sox catcher as they did in 2011? 6B) Will Martin have 4 horrible months again in 2012?
    Martin in 2011:
    April: .963
    May:  .680
    June: .515
    July:  .570
    Aug:  .932
    Sept: .657

7) Will Jeter be outhit by the Sox SS again? 7B) Will Jeter continue having one of the worst UZR ranking and range numbers by a MLB SS?

8) Is it OK to call a 4 straight year decline in OPS a decline?
    Teixeira: .963> .962> .948> .846> .835

9) Is it OK to call a second player with the same steak "in decline"?
    ARod:  1.067> .965> .933> .847> .823

10) Was Grandy's 2011 a fluke? He nearly doubled his 2010 HR & RBI totals last year. 10B) Are the Yankee fans calling for a Jacoby "return to reality" saying the same about Curtis? 
    I don't know, but I doubt it.

11) Soriano? Robertson? Logan?

12) Did the promise Gardner held in 2010 lose some of its luster?

Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do. -TBINFL The Sox biggest questions: 1) Bard as a starter? 2) Bailey as our closer taking over Paps role? 3) Doubront as a starter until Dice-K is ready (Cook)? 4) Aviles at SS (Iggy)? 5) Youk's health? 6) Salty as our catcher (Shopp/Lava)? The Yankees biggest questions: 1) Phil Hughes the 3rd starter?    I get the feeling that if a Sox pitcher coming off a 5.79 ERA and 1.49 WHIP was going to be our 3rd starter, TBINFL would be laughing something silly. 2) Can Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova repeat 2011's successes?    I'd bet one doesn't. 3) Can two of these guys really fill out the back end of the pen in a positive way? Clay Rapada, DJ Mitchell, David Phelps, and Adam Warren sound so much better than Morales, Albers, Bowden, and Tazawa... not! 4) Can players at these ages really keep healthy every year? Rivera    42 Ibanez   40 (in June) Jeter      38 (in June) Kuroda  37 ARod      37 (in July) Garcia   35 Jones    35 (in April) I wouldn't bet on continuing good health of all of these guys. 5) Will Swisher continue his decline? Tough call. 6) Will the Yankee catcher repeat in underperforming vs the Sox catcher as they did in 2011? 6B) Will Martin have 4 horrible months again in 2012? Martin in 2011: April: .963 May:  .680 June: .515 July:  .570 Aug:  .932 Sept: .657 7) Will Jeter be outhit by the Sox SS again? 7B) Will Jeter continue having one of the worst UZR ranking and range numbers by a MLB SS? 8) Is it OK to call a 4 straight year decline in OPS a decline? Teixeira: .963 /> .962> .948> .846> .835 9) Is it OK to call a second player with the same steak "in decline"? ARod:  1.067> .965> .933> .847> .823 10) Was Grandy's 2011 a fluke? He nearly doubled his 2010 HR & RBI totals last year. 10B) Are the Yankee fans calling for a Jacoby "return to reality" saying the same about Curtis?  I don't know, but I doubt it. 11) Soriano? Robertson? Logan? 12) Did the promise Gardner held in 2010 lose some of its luster? Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

All teams have questions.

But as you pointed out, the Yanks' are "moderate", while the sawx's are larger.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Angels are horrible one season then sign two guys and become legit?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : All teams have questions. But as you pointed out, the Yanks' are "moderate", while the sawx's are larger.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Once again you prove your reading comprehension skills are lacking. 

The Sox have 6 big questions. 

The Yanks have 10 of which some may be moderate not "big". 

"Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions. "

"Maybe all of these aren't big questions" does not mean none of them. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

•      Moon, with all due respect you could distill a number of your "moderate" questions by asking simply: Will the Yanks have enough offense to go with their fairly deep starting pitching, and very strong bullpen.  Even though I am a diehard Yankee fan, and I am not worried about Cano or the Grandyman, I think that if Jeter, Martin, A-Rod, and Teixeira all have sub-par years offensively, then the Yanks can still reach the post-season,  although they will probably be DOA in the ALDS. 
    •      While you did mention Ibanez as another aging veteran who could struggle, I think that you could highlight the DH issue even more. Nothwithstanding a couple of ST home runs, Ibanez has looked clueless at the plate this spring..Indeed, at his age you suspect that it might be more about a player in decline than a player "fine tuning" his swing...If the Yankees cannot find someone to give them decent LH DH at bats before the season is too old, their offense wil certainly be impacted..While they are not likely to keep an anemic Ibanez in the DH role for an indefinite period of time like they did with Core 4 Posada, the question is what left-handed bat would take his place...Assuming that Pineda comes back and can win 12 plus games without getting bombed in his other outings, I think the Yanks, offensively challenged or not, will be battling the Rays, Rangers and Halos in the playoffs...All those contenders have "moderate questions" as well, but they are still ranked below the Yanks by ESPN...

Sections
Shortcuts