ESPN Power Rankings Released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released

In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : Once again you prove your reading comprehension skills are lacking.  The Sox have 6 big questions.  The Yanks have 10 of which some may be moderate not "big".  "Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions.  " "Maybe all of these aren't big questions" does not mean none of them. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'll take the Yanks' "questions" over that of the sawx.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : I'll take the Yanks' "questions" over that of the sawx. Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE] Clearly you don't remember who led the power rankings last year before the season started. Until baseball is being played and even then in a lot of respects they don't count for squat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Rankings shmankings. The Yankees will be eating Boston's dust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released": Clearly you don't remember who led the power rankings last year before the season started. Until baseball is being played and even then in a lot of respects they don't count for squat.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

I remember quite well.

But I don't remember ever saying that I agreed with these power rankings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : I remember quite well. But I don't remember ever saying that I agreed with these power rankings. Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE] Okie I get it when your on top they are a ok and 100 percent correct but if your below then you disagree and there clearly wrong. Spoken like typical conservative facts are only facts if they agree with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, with all due respect you could distill a number of your "moderate" questions by asking simply: Will the Yanks have enough offense to go with their fairly deep starting pitching, and very strong bullpen.

Yeah, I could, but that's not my viewpoint.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released": Okie I get it when your on top they are a ok and 100 percent correct but if your below then you disagree and there clearly wrong. Spoken like typical conservative facts are only facts if they agree with you.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

Again, I never said I agreed with the rankings. 

How hard is that for you to comprehend?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

...and with all those question marks about the pitching staff, the age factor, Jeter et all in decline...they still manage to finish above the Sox almost every year...???

[QUOTE]The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do. -TBINFL The Sox biggest questions: 1) Bard as a starter? 2) Bailey as our closer taking over Paps role? 3) Doubront as a starter until Dice-K is ready (Cook)? 4) Aviles at SS (Iggy)? 5) Youk's health? 6) Salty as our catcher (Shopp/Lava)? The Yankees biggest questions: 1) Phil Hughes the 3rd starter?    I get the feeling that if a Sox pitcher coming off a 5.79 ERA and 1.49 WHIP was going to be our 3rd starter, TBINFL would be laughing something silly. 2) Can Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova repeat 2011's successes?    I'd bet one doesn't. 3) Can two of these guys really fill out the back end of the pen in a positive way? Clay Rapada, DJ Mitchell, David Phelps, and Adam Warren sound so much better than Morales, Albers, Bowden, and Tazawa... not! 4) Can players at these ages really keep healthy every year? Rivera    42 Ibanez   40 (in June) Jeter      38 (in June) Kuroda  37 ARod      37 (in July) Garcia   35 Jones    35 (in April) I wouldn't bet on continuing good health of all of these guys. 5) Will Swisher continue his decline? Tough call. 6) Will the Yankee catcher repeat in underperforming vs the Sox catcher as they did in 2011? 6B) Will Martin have 4 horrible months again in 2012? Martin in 2011: April: .963 May:  .680 June: .515 July:  .570 Aug:  .932 Sept: .657 7) Will Jeter be outhit by the Sox SS again? 7B) Will Jeter continue having one of the worst UZR ranking and range numbers by a MLB SS? 8) Is it OK to call a 4 straight year decline in OPS a decline? Teixeira: .963 /> .962> .948> .846> .835 9) Is it OK to call a second player with the same steak "in decline"? ARod:  1.067> .965> .933> .847> .823 10) Was Grandy's 2011 a fluke? He nearly doubled his 2010 HR & RBI totals last year. 10B) Are the Yankee fans calling for a Jacoby "return to reality" saying the same about Curtis?  I don't know, but I doubt it. 11) Soriano? Robertson? Logan? 12) Did the promise Gardner held in 2010 lose some of its luster? Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]Moon, with all due respect you could distill a number of your "moderate" questions by asking simply: Will the Yanks have enough offense to go with their fairly deep starting pitching, and very strong bullpen. Yeah, I could, but that's not my viewpoint.
    Do you think their pitching depth, starters and bullpen, is exaggerated?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So these are the same rankings that unanimously had the RS winning the world series last year right? I say let's play some baseball and see where it all shakes out.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : ok moon I'll admit my reading comprehension skills are lacking but I didn't see 1 question about buch you got to be wondering about those long road trips / bad back then again what has he  ever done.......he just another hughes who you questioned and yeah then you question our RF I'll take our swishalicious in a walk yr vs your RF heck who is your RF not one of your better posts moon
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Agreed, zac...And with regard to Hughes ("Hughes as the 3rd starter???"), even if it is only ST and it's only the Fish, Hughes looked very sharp tonight and was hitting 92 consistenly, with a number of 93's thrown in for good measure, as well as good stuff overall...4 IP, 5 hits, 1 BB, 4 SO and 0 ER as he reaches a 1.58 ERA for, yes, just spring training....Or your "back of the bullpen" comments, moon, that leave out any mention of Cabral, Betances, or Banuelos down the road...I guess what I was trying to intimate above moon, is that while you are micro-analyzing nearly every problem on the Yankees, you are being fairly macro-selective about the problems you see for the Bosox....
         Now we all need to be optimistic about our team as the season begins, and you are a class Red Sox fan in that respect...I think you do a great job of using statistics to keep the RSN morale from flagging too precipitously here, but your post remains a bit one-sided...The Red Sox have far more problems at the outset of the 2012 campaign than do the Yanks, especially now with an injured Bailey most likely requiring surgery and a Josh Beckett with "thumb" issues...Which is why they are ranked sixth....And, yes, we all know the rankings are subject to the realities of how the season unfolds ....But they do tell us something very different at this juncture than from what your post does...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]greetings  teilhardian even if it is only ST and it's only the Fish, Hughes looked very sharp tonight and was hitting 92 consistenly, with a number of 93's thrown in for good measure...4 IP, 5 hits, 1 BB, 4 SO and 0 ER as he reaches a 1.58 ERA for, yes, just spring training. I was amazed on how many swings & misses   hughes was getting on his FB tonight I don't know which team has more questions but I'm thinking the yanks have better answers
    Exactement, monsieur...But please, zac...Can we give Ibanez an early exit barring a "miracle in April"...I cannot watch him after May 1st if his "the worst of Posada DH 2011" take-off lowlight reel continues to run much longer....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]greetings  teilhardian even if it is only ST and it's only the Fish, Hughes looked very sharp tonight and was hitting 92 consistenly, with a number of 93's thrown in for good measure...4 IP, 5 hits, 1 BB, 4 SO and 0 ER as he reaches a 1.58 ERA for, yes, just spring training. I was amazed on how many swings & misses   hughes was getting on his FB tonight I don't know which team has more questions but I'm thinking the yanks have better answers
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]So are you wanting in on the Yankees Red Sox bet now zac? There's still time to get in.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : LOL I'm a huge damon fan but I don't think he was the answer this time the good news is ibanez has looked much better recently ok.........true ..........he couldn't  look any worse ;-)

I have always liked Ibanez from his Seattle days. If the Yanks pick their spots and platoon him so as to get his AB  in NY he will earn his money. If I remember correctly, he started off slow last year in Philly and still ended up with 20 HR and 80 RBI.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

His last wind-blown home run had me hoping...Until I had the misfortune of watching his remaining at bats....Jeez, the Yankee FO already found Dante Bichette Junior...Why don't they call Ken Phelps and see if his wife bore any male progeny....Can you hear Bob Shephard's voice remastered to say..."Batting 6th..Number 69....Ken Phelps Junior...Ken Phelps.."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released :   I have always liked Ibanez from his Seattle days. If the Yanks pick their spots and platoon him so as to get his AB  in NY he will earn his money. If I remember correctly, he started off slow last year in Philly and still ended up with 20 HR and 80 RBI.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]
    As a Yankee fan, I hope you are right, Dan, but to me he looks just as Smiley-Beni has opined....done....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : So are you wanting in on the Yankees Red Sox bet now zac? There's still time to get in.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Ah, carnie...I have April 20th off...Cannot wait for the rivalry to resume....And a little bet never hurt anyone..I think you will manage just fine with a casey tag on your sig line...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Power Rankings Released : Ah, carnie...I have April 20th off...Cannot wait for the rivalry to resume....And a little bet never hurt anyone..I think you will manage just fine with a casey tag on your sig line...
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]I'm trying to think of something by Diderot that will go with your Mother Jones Sig.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The Yanks have less question marks than the sawx do. -TBINFL The Sox biggest questions: 1) Bard as a starter? 2) Bailey as our closer taking over Paps role? 3) Doubront as a starter until Dice-K is ready (Cook)? 4) Aviles at SS (Iggy)? 5) Youk's health? 6) Salty as our catcher (Shopp/Lava)? The Yankees biggest questions: 1) Phil Hughes the 3rd starter?    I get the feeling that if a Sox pitcher coming off a 5.79 ERA and 1.49 WHIP was going to be our 3rd starter, TBINFL would be laughing something silly. 2) Can Freddy Garcia and Ivan Nova repeat 2011's successes?    I'd bet one doesn't. 3) Can two of these guys really fill out the back end of the pen in a positive way? Clay Rapada, DJ Mitchell, David Phelps, and Adam Warren sound so much better than Morales, Albers, Bowden, and Tazawa... not! 4) Can players at these ages really keep healthy every year? Rivera    42 Ibanez   40 (in June) Jeter      38 (in June) Kuroda  37 ARod      37 (in July) Garcia   35 Jones    35 (in April) I wouldn't bet on continuing good health of all of these guys. 5) Will Swisher continue his decline? Tough call. 6) Will the Yankee catcher repeat in underperforming vs the Sox catcher as they did in 2011? 6B) Will Martin have 4 horrible months again in 2012? Martin in 2011: April: .963 May:  .680 June: .515 July:  .570 Aug:  .932 Sept: .657 7) Will Jeter be outhit by the Sox SS again? 7B) Will Jeter continue having one of the worst UZR ranking and range numbers by a MLB SS? 8) Is it OK to call a 4 straight year decline in OPS a decline? Teixeira: .963 /> .962 /> .948 /> .846 /> .835 9) Is it OK to call a second player with the same steak "in decline"? ARod:  1.067> .965> .933> .847> .823 10) Was Grandy's 2011 a fluke? He nearly doubled his 2010 HR & RBI totals last year. 10B) Are the Yankee fans calling for a Jacoby "return to reality" saying the same about Curtis?  I don't know, but I doubt it. 11) Soriano? Robertson? Logan? 12) Did the promise Gardner held in 2010 lose some of its luster? Maybe all of these aren't "big questions", but the Yanks certainly have plenty of moderate questions.

Robertson's a question? You have a question about 10th-11th+ pitchers (which I don't agree with regardless?). Ross and Crawford aren't questions?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Red Sox offense lacks a superstar RH bat. That is the biggest offensive question that won't be answered without a trade. The shallow mind likes to look at year long aggregate numbers for offensive performance. 

Red Sox defense lacks the fielding talent at SS and 3B to keep from extending innings and mileage on pitchers. Unless Iglesias replaces the dumpster profile, Aviles (not a SS), that is the biggest question on defense that will not be answered. The outfield is also lacking in preventing extra bases, due to weak arms. Overall, the Red Sox are a poor defensive team. Ellsbury is perceived as a great defensive OF'er, as few pay attention to his modus of playing the big hop in front or behind. Keeps his scorecard on errors clean, and makes the long run catches create a false image of a strong OF'er. In fact, he is a poor judge of where the ball will end up and makes routine plays appear to be outstanding catches.

Red Sox pitching will come down to a full season of Beckett, Lester and Buch performing at a high level for around 200 innings. That is a big question for Beckett and Buch, who any smart GM would stay away from in any trade discussions. Anytime the Red Sox want to cut payroll and unload a prima donna contract, InEpstein is a good guy to call to unload poor endurance medical history profiles.

In the end, the Red Sox are mediocre offensively and poor defensively. To be a contender, they will have to have full season high performances from Beckett, Lester and Buch. The rest of the profiles in the rotation and parked in a dumpster are either garbage or currently unable to pitch a lot of quality innings this season. Bard could be good as a starter, but will be unable to provide a full season of quality starter innings.

Given my expertise, which is second to no one, the Red Sox season rests on Beckett, Lester and Buch. All three are capable of having high performance year long seasons, but it all must happen in the same season, 2012. We shall see.

Offensively, this team will be more overrated than the 2011 offense.

Defensively, Valentine will do well just to keep these guys from dogging it. Talent wise, this is a poor defensive team, to Valentine will need to demand hustle and full effort to compensate. We shall see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Wow. If the Yankees were lower on the list and this thread was put up by Beni he would have been hammered saying he was trying to annoy Yankee fans here. It's really incredible that putting this list up by a Yankee troll just turns out to be a conversational exchange. LOL

25. This post has been removed.