ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

Any trade that would improve the team should be considered. You have to keep in mind that other GMs are also looking to improve their teams. They are not in business to help the Sox. Acquiring the best young players on other teams will always come with a price. Sometimes that price is too high. What makes a good GM , is knowing when the price is right. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Any trade that would improve the team should be considered. You have to keep in mind that other GMs are also looking to improve their teams. They are not in business to help the Sox. Acquiring the best young players on other teams will always come with a price. Sometimes that price is too high. What makes a good GM , is knowing when the price is right. 

Agreed, but sometimes the other team needs players in arears we have strength, or ar looking for players that help more into the future than the here and now. 

Upton will be very costly, and I understand the fears of those who think he may never rise above the level of a decent #5 hitter, but this 25 year old has the 4 year sample size 14th best OPS in MLB. He should get better, but every signing or trade is a gamble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Ever been to Seattle or Safeco Field? Money's are not an issue with the Mariners ownership they have the means to spend up 100M or more on total payroll. And they have 3 young guns in AA they could frame a deal around one of, if the D-Backs are looking for pitching in return

That's not the issue. The issue is whether J. Upton uses his leverage to force DBack management to begin trade talks with deeper pockets. I expect he and his agent will or have already done that in their yearly "no-trade/leverage" list.

The following pool will top the hapless Mariners, who have more than just the armpit issue when it comes to acquiring top offensive talent through the trade market.

Ellsbury and his draft compensation (will net equal or better than "one of 3 young guns in AA")

De La Rosa or Webster (equal than "one of 3 young guns in AA")

Brentz  & one of anyone on the farm but Barnes and Bradley, Jr. and Bogearts (add Bogaerts and subtract Brentz if a better offer on the table, unlikely)

The following pool (they can be swapped with a third team or more as needed) will be approved by the DBacks management

The last hurdle will be the "no-trade leverage", which the Red Sox management should take the golden opportunity to take J. Upton's 2012 and negotiate the extension from that point and secure his services through the age of 32 at a much cheaper base rate than the recent top FA class OF contracts.

They get the prime years of the player, instead of paying nearly the entire contract for what he had done in the past and has zero chance of doing, in the case of guys like Crawford, Werth, et al.

Very important to get Shane into CF for 2013, where he has better value and fit, and move that clock back a year or two closer to Bradley, Jr. (otherwise it makes no value or fit sense whatsoever)

J. Upton should be moved to LF 2013 et seq   2013 cost ~10M  (Ellsbury 2013 Cost ~10M)

Shane CF 2013-2014 and hopefully traded  Bradley, Jr. CF 2014-2015 et seq

Kalish/Nava platoon with Gomes in RF

There is no cost change on the books, and J. Upton will be controlled and as cheap or cheaper than Ellsbury FA years (J. Upton won't be in his 30's and will be in his 20's for nearly the entire contract)

aside from your continued use of language that belies your obvious education...I can't argue with any of the above...however if we were to make that deal..Gomes becomes expendable and likely gets dealt this July. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Ever been to Seattle or Safeco Field? Money's are not an issue with the Mariners ownership they have the means to spend up 100M or more on total payroll. And they have 3 young guns in AA they could frame a deal around one of, if the D-Backs are looking for pitching in return

That's not the issue. The issue is whether J. Upton uses his leverage to force DBack management to begin trade talks with deeper pockets. I expect he and his agent will or have already done that in their yearly "no-trade/leverage" list.

The following pool will top the hapless Mariners, who have more than just the armpit issue when it comes to acquiring top offensive talent through the trade market.

Ellsbury and his draft compensation (will net equal or better than "one of 3 young guns in AA")

Brentz  & one of anyone on the farm but Barnes and Bradley, Jr. and Bogearts (add Bogaerts and subtract Brentz if a better offer on the table, unlikely)

The following pool (they can be swapped with a third team or more as needed) will be approved by the DBacks management

The last hurdle will be the "no-trade leverage", which the Red Sox management should take the golden opportunity to take J. Upton's 2012 and negotiate the extension from that point and secure his services through the age of 32 at a much cheaper base rate than the recent top FA class OF contracts.

They get the prime years of the player, instead of paying nearly the entire contract for what he had done in the past and has zero chance of doing, in the case of guys like Crawford, Werth, et al.

Very important to get Shane into CF for 2013, where he has better value and fit, and move that clock back a year or two closer to Bradley, Jr. (otherwise it makes no value or fit sense whatsoever)

J. Upton should be moved to LF 2013 et seq   2013 cost ~10M  (Ellsbury 2013 Cost ~10M)

There is no cost change on the books, and J. Upton will be controlled and as cheap or cheaper than Ellsbury FA years (J. Upton won't be in his 30's and will be in his 20's for nearly the entire contract)

aside from your continued use of language that belies your obvious education...I can't argue with any of the above...however if we were to make that deal..Gomes becomes expendable and likely gets dealt this July. 

I think Upton would be an upgrade in LF if the price is right and he can play the monster but I'm not convinced Kalish or Nava stay in our future plan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I think Upton would be an upgrade in LF if the price is right and he can play the monster but I'm not convinced Kalish or Nava stay in our future plan.

Craze,

Kalish is certainly in the mix he can play both CF & RF he also has pretty good plate discipline and could be a Brett Gardener type. the only reason he's not a fixture in RF is due to health. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Saving for after you are banned, this is erased, and you deny you ever said it...

posted at 1/8/2013 10:24 PM EST

• Softlaw1
    • First: 11/16/2012
    • Last: 1/8/2013

Ghomes has excellent OPS splits v LP, and fits well as a platoon guy. They should keep him unless a better value option comes from inside or out. I like Kalish, who would play plenty enough v. RP in RF and backing up Shane in CF. I also like Nava as the 5th OF'er bench guy.

I detest the S. Drew signing, but now that it's done I favor Ciriaco as the UIFer (speed/PR) and I would keep Iglesias and give him the SS job for 2014.

I want them to limit the Napoli offer to 2 years and base 10 or 1 year and base 13 with an option and 1.5 buyout/player opt out. As the backup, I want them to punt on 1st base and pay the 1 year market value for Kotchman, be it a minor league contract or a low single digits one year contract. 

At this point, if they sign Napoli on terms above, I'd like to see:

Shane

Pedroia

J. Upton

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Salty/D Ross

S. Drew

Kalish/Gomes

If not:

Shane

Pedroia

J. Upton

Ortiz

Middlebrooks

Salty/D Ross

S. Drew

Kalish/Gomes

Kotchman/Gomez

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The latest on Justin Upton from FOX Sports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/justin-upton-seattle-mariners-no-trade-clause-texas-rangers-atla

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/289523115149631488nta-braves-still-interested-011013

From Seattle blogger Dave Cameron:

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/01/10/justin-upton-reportedly-rejects-trade-to-mariners/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if Ben has even picked up the phone on this.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

posted at 1/7/2013 11:53 PM EST

• Softlaw1
    • First: 11/16/2012
    • Last: 1/10/2013

I'm sure J. Upton wants no part of Seattle, which is the armpit of the AL. He can veto any deal and make the Seattle pipe dream elsewhere. Unless Seattle adds a big extension, he can list them at the beginning of this year as one of the teams on his "no-trade list" that he has to waive (which means leverage for the player seeking more money)

I thought so, days ago.

Come on you incompetent Cherry, throw Ellsbury and his draft compensation in my trade pool and negotiate the extension and close the deal on J. Upton.

your trade offer blows softy. J Upton is not worth the cost of prospects

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

J. Upton most certainly is worth the cost of Ellsbury and getting rid of his 10 million, passing on the Ellsbury draft compensation, and getting rid of prospects like Brentz, De La Rosa or Webster, and one other farm prospect and keeping Bogearts, Bradley, Jr. and Barnes.

to think you can trade for J Upton without giving up XB, JBJ or Barnes let alone all 3 is insane.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd sign Marcum and trade...

3 from Doubront, Morales, Aceves (+ cash), Brentz, Owens, Iggy, Cecchini, Lavarnway, or Britton

Bradley

for J Upton

We keep Bogaerts, Barnes, Webster, and de la Rosa

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I just saw on MLB tv that Boston was one of 4 teams on Justin Upton's no trade list along with the Cubs, Mariners and Blue Jays.  So all the speculation can be laid to rest about Upton going to the Sox in a trade...it ain't gonna happen.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Just saying what they said on MLB...Not claiming I know anything about it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This whole thread is about a proposed trade by ESPN...wonder how involved they are with the Upton trade?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to traven's comment:

I just saw on MLB tv that Boston was one of 4 teams on Justin Upton's no trade list along with the Cubs, Mariners and Blue Jays.  So all the speculation can be laid to rest about Upton going to the Sox in a trade...it ain't gonna happen.

The reason the Yankees and Red Sox are almost always on a player's no trade list has nothing to do with a player not wanting to play there.  It's all about negotiating leverage.  The Sox and Yankees are often involved if a big name becomes available, so a player's agent will recommend adding those teams to a no trade clause right away.  The agent can ask for some form of compensation if the player will waive his no trade clause.  I don't think it matters because I dont think the Sox are interested in Upton or match up at all in a trade with Arizona for him.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to traven's comment:

The reason the Yankees and Red Sox are almost always on a player's no trade list has nothing to do with a player not wanting to play there.  It's all about negotiating leverage.  The Sox and Yankees are often involved if a big name becomes available, so a player's agent will recommend adding those teams to a no trade clause right away.  The agent can ask for some form of compensation if the player will waive his no trade clause.  I don't think it matters because I dont think the Sox are interested in Upton or match up at all in a trade with Arizona for him.

I agree with the thought that the Sox are not interested - the cost in terms of minor league talent would be very high not to mention the salary baggage he brings with his contract.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

One good thing is that Cherry won't be able to bite off bringing Ellsbury back for another season. It's almost over.

yes. hopefully it will be for another 5 seasons

Sections
Shortcuts