ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

One good thing is that Cherry won't be able to bite off bringing Ellsbury back for another season. It's almost over.

yes. hopefully it will be for another 5 seasons

Mef,

I know you're a big Ellsbury fan, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that the Sox will resign him.  There are whispers that many in the organization feel he's too soft to warrant a significant contract and the fact that they made him very available at the Winter Meetings seems to indicate that they are ready to move on if they find the right deal.  He was offered to Philly in a package for Cliff Lee and one of the reasons they chose to sign Victorino was because of the fact he could play center in the event that they moved Ellsbury.  Throw in the fact that they have high hopes that Bradley will be ready in 2014 and it doesn't look good at all. They will gladly let him play out his current contract (they won't give him away), hope he has a monster year and he is a part of team that manages to be competitive all season, but if they fall out of the race, he'll be a strong candidate to be moved at the deadline.

Obviously alot can change by the end of next season, but as it stands right now, i don't think there is much of a chance at all that he'll be back.    UOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

One good thing is that Cherry won't be able to bite off bringing Ellsbury back for another season. It's almost over.

Mef,

I know you're a big Ellsbury fan, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that the Sox will resign him.  There are whispers that many in the organization feel he's too soft to warrant a significant contract and the fact that they made him very available at the Winter Meetings seems to indicate that they are ready to move on if they find the right deal.  He was offered to Philly in a package for Cliff Lee and one of the reasons they chose to sign Victorino was because of the fact he could play center in the event that they moved Ellsbury.  Throw in the fact that they have high hopes that Bradley will be ready in 2014 and it doesn't look good at all. They will gladly let him play out his current contract (they won't give him away), hope he has a monster year and he is a part of team that manages to be competitive all season, but if they fall out of the race, he'll be a strong candidate to be moved at the deadline.

Obviously alot can change by the end of next season, but as it stands right now, i don't think there is much of a chance at all that he'll be back.    UOTE]

i understand the reality of the situation as it stands but i still have hope. I viewed the Victorino signing as an insurance policy in case Ells isn't on the team (injury or otherwise) in 2013 and on. Also an opportunity to move big numbah two down the lineup where his bat is better served (i can not stress the importance of this given the lack of "thundah" in the middle of the order). Also, i am not ready to just give JBJ the CF job because he is still a prospect. If we trade Ells or let him walk and JBJ gets hurt or goes the way of most prospects and just doesn't pan out. what then?

If JBJ is the real deal and we do resign Ells then JBJ can man RF or we can trade him for a ToR guy. Either way i think Jacoby should be resigned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Mef,

i understand the reality of the situation as it stands but i still have hope. I viewed the Victorino signing as an insurance policy in case Ells isn't on the team (injury or otherwise) in 2013 and on. Also an opportunity to move big numbah two down the lineup where his bat is better served (i can not stress the importance of this given the lack of "thundah" in the middle of the order). Also, i am not ready to just give JBJ the CF job because he is still a prospect. If we trade Ells or let him walk and JBJ gets hurt or goes the way of most prospects and just doesn't pan out. what then?

If JBJ is the real deal and we do resign Ells then JBJ can man RF or we can trade him for a ToR guy. Either way i think Jacoby should be resigned.

I understand why you like the guy, he has a ton of talent, and I'm not saying JBJ is a can't miss type, but there are too many indications that Ellsbury will be gone.  I heard that the Sox' "Plan A" was to trade Ellsbury in a package for Cliff Lee and sign Josh Hamilton.  The fact that they spent a lot of time with Hamilton and his wife at an offsite location away from the Opryland during the Winter Meetings shows that they were serious about him.  No one expected that Hamilton would have received a 5 year contract, including the Angels G.M., who was supposedly against the deal, but he did. 

Again, alot can change over the course of the season, but I certainly wouldn't bet any money on Ellsbury coming back.  If there are enough people in the organization who think he is too soft, and that's the word, I can't see them investing the kind of money it will take to sign him into a guy who doesn't seem to heal very fast at all.  I guess we'll see...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Mef,

The only thing I don't like about Ellsbury is his arm. And to me that's enough of a question mark to rule out any big money long term deal, which I guarantee Boras will be looking for. We'll eventually run into the same thing with Bradley regarding contract, as he has Boras for an egent too but Bradley has a plus arm which I think is kind of important in the outfield.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

At some time Justin will join his brother in Atlanta.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only thing I don't like about Ellsbury is his arm. And to me that's enough of a question mark to rule out any big money long term deal, which I guarantee Boras will be looking for. We'll eventually run into the same thing with Bradley regarding contract, as he has Boras for an egent too but Bradley has a plus arm which I think is kind of important in the outfield.

1) You like is poor breaks on balls hit to him?

2) You like how many outs he runs into on the basepaths?

3) You like his number of games player per year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

1) You like is poor breaks on balls hit to him?

2) You like how many outs he runs into on the basepaths?

3) You like his number of games player per year?

To be fair, he usually makes up for his poor breaks with his speed. And I would like it if he could get back off the DL a little quicker. I don't think he's injury prone but he does seem to be slow to come back from injuries.

8. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts