ESPN Report - A's Ready to Deal Gonzalez to either Nationals or Other Team (Red Sox reported)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Re: ESPN Report - A's Ready to Deal Gonzalez to either Nationals or Other Team (Red Sox reported)

this guy has given on more walks in two years than any pitcher in the history of the mlb. look that up. you really want a guy who probably pitches like daisuke but MORE walks? forget it. good job not biting, however we still need a starting pitcher

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: ESPN Report - A's Ready to Deal Gonzalez to either Nationals or Other Team (Red Sox reported)

As per Baseball America, Cole is the Nats #4 overall prospect, Peacock is #3, Norris is #9 and Milone is not in the their top 10

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Report - A's Ready to Deal Gonzalez to either Nationals or Other Team (Red Sox reported):
    [QUOTE]gio dealt to washington, nice work ben
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I agree.

My theory is that, if we don't mind facing the guy, and the NYY don't mind facing the guy, I'm not motivated to acquire him.

He had a 5.79 v the RS, 7.27 v the NYY, and 4.86 v the Rays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

One would think that the ignorant, uninformed, fantasy baseball fanatics, would over time get smarter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox didn't have any pitcher to match Peacock of the Nats. That is why the deal got done with them vs. the Red Sox. They wanted a pitcher back and they got an absolute stud who's major league ready. The Red Sox had nothing like that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

based on baseball americas 2012 prospect rankings, the guys the nationals gave up were ranked 3,4,9 and unranked in the nationals organization. If the sox were to give up a similar package using those exact same organizational rankings, the deal would  have looked like this:

ranaudo (#3)
    brentz (#4 was actaully blake swihart, but since lavarnway is number 9 i put brentz instead who was ranked #5)
    lavarnway (#9)
    plus an unranked prospect

now there is no guarantee that the a's asked for those specific prospects but im sure those names were involved. The only guy i would not want to give up of that group is lavarnway. just thought i would post this incase anyone was curious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

wow I cannot believe other teams are allowed to make moves to better themselves. I think the Red Sox roster should be allowed to expand to 300 players and we can hog anyone and everyone that the board asylum wishes to be here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Report - A's Ready to Deal Gonzalez to either Nationals or Other Team (Red Sox reported):
    [QUOTE]One would think that the ignorant, uninformed, fantasy baseball fanatics, would over time get smarter.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't assume that.  Why would you make that assumption?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox didn't have any pitcher to match Peacock of the Nats. That is why the deal got done with them vs. the Red Sox. They wanted a pitcher back and they got an absolute stud who's major league ready. The Red Sox had nothing like that.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

And who, in two years time, is likely to be outperforming Gonzalez and for much less money.  The Nats were snookered on this one, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Nats can contend now, why wait two years more for a what if.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember, not only does Gio pitch half of his games in Oakland (a huge park with massive foul territory as well), he did it facing the Mariners and Angels way more than any other teams in MLB.

Sea  71.2 IP
    LAA  60.1
    Tex  49.1
    Cle   37.1
    Tor   32.2
    Bal   30.1
    Min  30.0

His ERA vs...
    Bos  5.79  (28.0 IP)
    NYY 7.27  (26.0)
    TB    4.86  (16.2)

His numbers were also helped by pitching alot of his away innings in huge parks:

It's already scary enough that his career away ERA is about 80 points higher than his home ERA, but consider this as well...

(Home: Oak  273 IP)
    Away:
    Sea  3.48  (44.0 IP)
    LAA  3.58  (27.2)
    Cle   0.68  (26.2)
    Tex  4.29  (21.0)
    Bal   2.79  (19.1)

Many of his away innings pitched are in pitcher's parks. 

Look at these numbers:
    @ Fenway  5.63  (16 IP)
    @ NYY         5.56  (11.1)
    @ TB            9.64  (4.2 IP)
    @ Tor           5.09  (17.2)

So, many innings in big parks and many innings vs weak hitting teams.

Sections
Shortcuts