ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem

I think the W Sox would jump(maybe not real high though) at the deal Moon proposes.....Middlebrooks is our top rated prospect.....Anderson though he may not have met huge expectations, was at one time our top rated prospect and is still just 24....Bowden is just 25, and seems to have the pitches to be a very good relief pitcher, was successful at AAA and has never been given an extended opportunity at the ML level to say that he failed at that. The one thing that might hold the WSox back is that they hold a 9.5 mm option for next year with Floyd, which they might consider pretty reasonable for a 29 year old who though his record may not have shown it, pitched really well last year(career low WHIP). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : How do you know the W-Sox want these guys for Floyd? Also, you consider Doubront/Dice-K solid? Despite the fact that Dice-K has some comeback-up side , this seems like wishful thinking.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I consider Aceves solid.  If they were to give him the opportunity.  I know he is extremely valuable in the bullpen but seriously...put him in the rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : How do you know the W-Sox want these guys for Floyd? Also, you consider Doubront/Dice-K solid? Despite the fact that Dice-K has some comeback-up side , this seems like wishful thinking.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

More "solid" than most team's 5th starters. With the 4 starters ahead of Doubront, I'm not too worried about the 5 slot. We also have many projects of which one could emerge as a replacement if Doubie falters.

I don't know if the White Sox want Salty or Middlebrooks or Ranaudo, but I'd try by making one of them the centerpoint of an offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]moon still lives under false assumptions, as in we get what we want and for what we want.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I never said the White Sox would take my offer. There was a rumor they were shopping Floyd. His salary is pretty high, but his luxury tax hit is much lower, so I think those are 2 good reasons to discuss trying to trade for him. I hope we get him, but doubt we will. I've been saying that for a long time, so I don't know where you got this "get what we want" feeling from.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Question doesn't Floyd still pitch for the White Sox? All reports I've read is that, though he's available for the right deal. Not sure a package of 3 minor leaguers is enough for the White Sox to move a very valuable asset. While I support the concept of aquiring him. Not sure that a package of 3 B level prospects will getter dun. Middlebrooks although he's highly regarded has yet to prove that he can hit above AA at an advanded age no less...The luster has worn of both Anderson and Bowden. Who both are complimentary pieces at best and neither has shown enough to warrant interest from another team. Unless they're looking to add depth to their AAA roster?

I wouldn't call Middlebrooks a "B prospect". Prospects are not rated on AAA hitting stats alone.

I'd be willing to give Salty, Middlebrooks and Anderson, but am not sure they want Salty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody trades a MLB starter to "add depth to their AAA roster".

It happens every year, especially at the deadline.

(I also suggested Salty as a part of the trade, and he's not AAA.) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Nobody trades a MLB starter to "add depth to their AAA roster". It happens every year, especially at the deadline. (I also suggested Salty as a part of the trade, and he's not AAA.) 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

At the deadline yes, spring training....not so much

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agreed, but not just the deadline. There have been many winter moves involving prospects for a quality starter, especially if the starter is high-priced and plays for a team not looking to contend that next year.

I did say, I doubt the deal happens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, but not just the deadline. There have been many winter moves involving prospects for a quality starter, especially if the starter is high-priced and plays for a team not looking to contend that next year. I did say, I doubt the deal happens.

For prospects with potential I would agree. Don't see them moving him just for AAA filler

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : For prospects with potential I would agree. Don't see them moving him just for AAA filler
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

You really think Middlebrooks is just "AAA filler"?

Also, my suggested offer was just a starting point for negotiations. I'd be willing to consider Ranaudo, Salty and others depending on what Chicago wants and needs. I realize they might not see Anderson or Bowden as possible MLB helpful players, but I offered them because they are blocked here (Lars) or out of options(Bowden).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : You really think Middlebrooks is just "AAA filler"? Also, my suggested offer was just a starting point for negotiations. I'd be willing to consider Ranaudo, Salty and others depending on what Chicago wants and needs. I realize they might not see Anderson or Bowden as possible MLB helpful players, but I offered them because they are blocked here (Lars) or out of options(Bowden).

I was referring to beantowne's comment about "depth at AAA"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If Beckett, Lester and Buch do what they are paid to do, for an entire season, the staff will not be shallow.

Some addressed the starter pitching depth by zealously advocating offering 1 million to Tim Wastefield.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : More "solid" than most team's 5th starters. With the 4 starters ahead of Doubront, I'm not too worried about the 5 slot. We also have many projects of which one could emerge as a replacement if Doubie falters. I don't know if the White Sox want Salty or Middlebrooks or Ranaudo, but I'd try by making one of them the centerpoint of an offer.

So, you doubt the W-Sox would make this trade, yet you project him as part of the rotation, claiming you as a result have a solid #5. Your premise/rebuttal (this time, usually you're reasonable) is far fetched/wishful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]If Beckett, Lester and Buch do what they are paid to do, for an entire season, the staff will not be shallow. Some addressed the starter pitching depth by zealously advocating offering 1 million to Tim Wastefield.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Still beating that drum?  You need to let it go with Wakefield, hank.  It's past, done, finito.  Let's move on, shall we? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from doofus54. Show doofus54's posts

You provide a link to premium content that requires a subscription?  Good work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : I consider Aceves solid.  If they were to give him the opportunity.  I know he is extremely valuable in the bullpen but seriously...put him in the rotation.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

"... put him in the rotation."

The Yankees cut him lose for a reason.  He has back problems.  Even at the back of the rotation your looking at 160-180 innings a year.  I don't think his back will sand up to that kind of work load.  

Aceves is a good versatile pitcher and Yankee fans weren't happy to see him go, let alone to the RS.  With that said, if the RS want to get the most out of him they need to leave him in the pen.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Shallow Hal

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]You provide a link to premium content that requires a subscription?  Good work.
    Posted by doofus54[/QUOTE]

Ask your mom for an advancement on your next month's allowance and maybe you can afford the $7.95 for a one month subscription. Or better yet, get a paper route.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : I never said I expected it. I said I wanted it. Two very different things. (Although the Sox did trade Scooty as I suggested, signed Cody Ross as I championed, and traded Reddick & Lowrie as well. If they deal Salty, start Lava, and start Iggy I'll be almost perfect in my wishes becoming reality.)

I'm a bit confused moon, but agree with packaging Salty if he starts the season well because I have always felt Lav is for real.  As of right now Salty has little trade value in my opinion if you just go by last years offensive and defensive stats. 

The thing that confuses me is how important you "but even more so harness" felt Tek was to our pitchers, yet are willing to trade the only other catcher who has time in with our staff?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

addition by subtraction my friends... no wake, no lackey, and bard/aceves pitching a whole lot of innings and still having a good closer...plus a better conditioned beckett, a healed clay and later dice...unless lester falls off considerably, this pitching staff is already better....sorry babe -  i call bs on this

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]addition by subtraction my friends... no wake, no lackey, and bard/aceves pitching a whole lot of innings and still having a good closer...plus a better conditioned beckett, a healed clay and later dice...unless lester falls off considerably, this pitching staff is already better....sorry babe -  i call bs on this
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Melencon and Bailey have yet to prove they can handle the teams we play on a consistent basis and Bard is also a question mark.  Aceves as a starter makes us weak in the pen.  Lackey and Wake had to go but we still have yet to improve our staff in my opinion anyway.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I feel better (not) knowing Beckett gave his approval for Lester to start opening day. Good to see Josh realizing he is not an Ace any longer and that baseball is not his #1 priority. Can we still get a refund?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I feel better (not) knowing Beckett gave his approval for Lester to start opening day. Good to see Josh realizing he is not an Ace any longer and that baseball is not his #1 priority. Can we still get a refund?

Hey burrito, I agree and Josh would be very smart to be the perfect team player this season and hopefully pitch well without his ancor Tek.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]I feel better (not) knowing Beckett gave his approval for Lester to start opening day. Good to see Josh realizing he is not an Ace any longer and that baseball is not his #1 priority. Can we still get a refund?

Think Beckett was just lending his support, B. What else did you want him to say or do?

Sections
Shortcuts