ESPN Reporting Dumpster deal done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

ESPN Reporting Dumpster deal done

ESPN reporting its done.  Red Sox management are juat plain dumb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: ESPN Reporting Dumpster deal done

In response to ADG's comment:

ESPN reporting its done.  Red Sox management are juat plain dumb.

OPPS ! Sorry just threw -up !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

smh

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

y

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

That's me saying "yea" in the smallest font I could use, which is 0.  However, the board will not post an empty comment...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Looks like the magic number for '13 is 13 million...(give or take a few hundred thous).

Maybe Ben's Psychic is helping out with negotiations :-)

Can't wait till our pitching prospects get to the big leagues....

Can't figure this one out.  Unless he only pitches in NL Interleague games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Actually, this could have a good ending...if Ben now can turn Doubront, Salty (or Lavarnway) and Ells into a top of the rotation starter that really improves the SP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Only two years, not a horrible contract. This sets them up for a big move at the trading deadline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Californiaredsoxfan. Show Californiaredsoxfan's posts

The Red Sox are horrible now. We have no dominant pitcher or big time player. I have never been this uninterested in this team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dempster going to Boston =    *shaking my head*

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I found these few lines from one of Peter Abraham's posts interesting...

"Now comes the issue of how will Dempster do in the American League?

The feeling is Dempster will have more problems against good American League lineups.

"The Red Sox are aware of this, and will certainly try to manage who he pitches against if possible," one National League general manager said."

...kind of indicates to me that the opinion that Dempster is not a good fit isn't just BDC forum gloom and doom. I guess these days $26.5 million gets you a pitcher you're afraid to have face your tougher opponents...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Wow - it's amazing how many major league scouts and talent evaluators post on this message board...all of these baseball experts are so convinced this is a bad move, whereas the Red Sox baseball operations staff obvioualy thinks otherwise.

With the said, I am not jumping for joy myself about this signing..but mine is because they are acquiring a 35 year old pitcher, even though its only for 2 seasons. I would have preferred a younger guy like Sanchez but his price tag and contract term probably doesn't fit the Sox operating model right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Californiaredsoxfan. Show Californiaredsoxfan's posts

Re: Red Sox just not interesting

Who wants to watch this team? The Angels just added Hamilton. Toronto moved ahead of us with their moves. Baltimore is better. Tampa has a better GM. If you seriously excited about going .500 then good for you. We have no home run power and terrible pitching.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Californiaredsoxfan's comment:

Who wants to watch this team? The Angels just added Hamilton. Toronto moved ahead of us with their moves. Baltimore is better. Tampa has a better GM. If you seriously excited about going .500 then good for you. We have no home run power and terrible pitching.

buh-bye

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Wow - it's amazing how many major league scouts and talent evaluators post on this message board...all of these baseball experts are so convinced this is a bad move, whereas the Red Sox baseball operations staff obvioualy thinks otherwise.

With the said, I am not jumping for joy myself about this signing..but mine is because they are acquiring a 35 year old pitcher, even though its only for 2 seasons. I would have preferred a younger guy like Sanchez but his price tag and contract term probably doesn't fit the Sox operating model right now.

these same baseball operation guys were making moves last year...how did that turn out?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Gomes,Victorino,Ross,Dempster.............

please tell me this isn't it...please

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

while personally would have liked to see sanchez, lohse, jackson, or mccarthy ahead of dempster, and it's obvious they overpaid for him some in the same way they did for victorino and napoli, also don't think this move is a make or break. if lester and bucholtz don't return to form the sox are going nowhere anyway. if dempster can just eat innings and give them reasonable starts (true, no guarentee of this) it's only two years, and this team is not going to contend next year anyway. and as barnes, bogaerts, brentz, bradley, webster begin to filter onto the team there is more flexibility going forward than there was when they had those huge, multi years deals hanging them up. there's a stink of mediocrity about these signings, no doubt, but these are not the lackey/crawford/matusaka type deals that will strangle the team for the next 5 or 6 years. agree with the philosophy or not at least it's a philosophy. pay a prmium for shorter 2-3 year deals and (hopefully) pull the trigger on bigger money, longer deals only when the right person is identified who the team wants to build around going forward. at the same time continue to develop the minor league system and produce young talent to play and use as trade bait. while I don't disagree with people being less than enamored with signings like the ones they've made (think ueahara is the only noteworthy, somewhat surprising move), I also think patience is in order and results will only begin to show as we move into 2014. will be interesting to see what else they do. drew? another vetrean reliever like adams maybe? another starter? another outfielder/1b type like swisher? berkman? doubtful cherington and company are going to be earning any top grades with these types of unsexy moves, but if they fill all thir holes with viable major leaguers and can at least bring this team back to .500 they might settle in around a b-. right now i'd say c to c-plus. with all this said, dislike this latest move the most of all of them because it seems like there were better pitchers out there for close to the same money. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

while personally would have liked to see sanchez, lohse, jackson, or mccarthy ahead of dempster, and it's obvious they overpaid for him some in the same way they did for victorino and napoli, also don't think this move is a make or break. if lester and bucholtz don't return to form the sox are going nowhere anyway. if dempster can just eat innings and give them reasonable starts (true, no guarentee of this) it's only two years, and this team is not going to contend next year anyway. and as barnes, bogaerts, brentz, bradley, webster begin to filter onto the team there is more flexibility going forward than there was when they had those huge, multi years deals hanging them up. there's a stink of mediocrity about these signings, no doubt, but these are not the lackey/crawford/matusaka type deals that will strangle the team for the next 5 or 6 years. agree with the philosophy or not at least it's a philosophy. pay a prmium for shorter 2-3 year deals and (hopefully) pull the trigger on bigger money, longer deals only when the right person is identified who the team wants to build around going forward. at the same time continue to develop the minor league system and produce young talent to play and use as trade bait. while I don't disagree with people being less than enamored with signings like the ones they've made (think ueahara is the only noteworthy, somewhat surprising move), I also think patience is in order and results will only begin to show as we move into 2014. will be interesting to see what else they do. drew? another vetrean reliever like adams maybe? another starter? another outfielder/1b type like swisher? berkman? doubtful cherington and company are going to be earning any top grades with these types of unsexy moves, but if they fill all thir holes with viable major leaguers and can at least bring this team back to .500 they might settle in around a b-. right now i'd say c to c-plus. with all this said, dislike this latest move the most of all of them because it seems like there were better pitchers out there for close to the same money. 

i would take sanchez over Dempster but he's looking for 6-7 years so thats a no go. Lohse is a big meh as well

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Gomes,Victorino,Ross,Dempster.............please tell me this isn't it...please

Mike Napoli (maybe) and Koji Uehara.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I found these few lines from one of Peter Abraham's posts interesting...

"Now comes the issue of how will Dempster do in the American League?

The feeling is Dempster will have more problems against good American League lineups.

"The Red Sox are aware of this, and will certainly try to manage who he pitches against if possible," one National League general manager said."

...kind of indicates to me that the opinion that Dempster is not a good fit isn't just BDC forum gloom and doom. I guess these days $26.5 million gets you a pitcher you're afraid to have face your tougher opponents...

Didnt the "experts" say the same thing about Kuroda last year?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

these same baseball operation guys were making moves last year...how did that turn out?

Well if you haven't figured it out yet, last year was about Fenway Park not the players on the field...hiring Bobby Valentine and bringing Ross in was all they thought they needed to do...however, Beckett and the rest of the pitching staff regressed from 2011, AGon proved he was not a team leader even though he was paid as one...and Crawford couldn't keep himself on the field...

...based on these facts, the baseball operations guys did a fantastic job dumping those longterm overpriced contracts that Theo Epstein originated.

...so the team on the field was awful and ownership had different priorities but it seems that baseball ops turned out OK.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts