ESPN Reporting Dumpster deal done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: ESPN Reporting Dumpster deal done

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I found these few lines from one of Peter Abraham's posts interesting...

"Now comes the issue of how will Dempster do in the American League?

The feeling is Dempster will have more problems against good American League lineups.

"The Red Sox are aware of this, and will certainly try to manage who he pitches against if possible," one National League general manager said."

...kind of indicates to me that the opinion that Dempster is not a good fit isn't just BDC forum gloom and doom. I guess these days $26.5 million gets you a pitcher you're afraid to have face your tougher opponents...

Didnt the "experts" say the same thing about Kuroda last year?

post of the day right there. i wanted us to get kuroda last season and was bashed for it. he turned out to be the best starter of the yankees staff last season.

i don't like this move but he gives the sox what they need. 200 innings. the quality of those innings is still a mystery but that post certainly makes me feel better about it. time will tell

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Gomes,Victorino,Ross,Dempster.............please tell me this isn't it...please

Mike Napoli (maybe) and Koji Uehara.

yeah ...I figured Napoli wasn't done.........and I actually support the Koji signing.

I guess all we can do is wait and see...maybe we are all wrong

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The feeling is Dempster will have more problems against good American League lineups.

"The Red Sox are aware of this, and will certainly try to manage who he pitches against if possible," one National League general manager said."

...kind of indicates to me that the opinion that Dempster is not a good fit isn't just BDC forum gloom and doom. I guess these days $26.5 million gets you a pitcher you're afraid to have face your tougher opponents...

Time will tell. Believe me, I'm hoping I'm wrong about Dempster and he turns out great in Boston (and I'll be here to admit it if that's the case). And I'm not one of those posters who just automatically trashes everything the team does. But I can't help but feel that we should have been able to do a lot better for this amount of money. I think Dempster will end up more like Brad Penny than Kuroda, but again, I hope I'm wrong and we'll see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Actually, this could have a good ending...if Ben now can turn Doubront, Salty (or Lavarnway) and Ells into a top of the rotation starter that really improves the SP.

Ben is not that smart. He just signed a real loser to go along with the loser SP we already have. Idiotic deal. Makes no sense other than to prove what a fool  our GM is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

He'll be okay.  Rather than an AL/NL thing his splits suggest he's more of a first half performer. I'd rather have Kuroda, but on the short he'll eat innings and win in double digits.  Last I checked wins count the same pre ALL Star as post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

What a mistake. I cannot wait to see the medical reports on this guy as to why his velocity dropped. Very bad signing, this is worse than Victorino.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to Koolga's comment:

Looks like the magic number for '13 is 13 million...(give or take a few hundred thous).

Maybe Ben's Psychic is helping out with negotiations :-)

Can't wait till our pitching prospects get to the big leagues....

Can't figure this one out.  Unless he only pitches in NL Interleague games.

At least he has a name we can play with when he goes bad. Our pitching staff is now Buthole, Lesster, Dumbrot, Dumpster, and Lackluster (Slackey, Shellackey or just plain ole Lackey)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

TB has weakened themselves, the NYY are old, TX is weaker....these Sox will be in playoff contention.  And several of those pitchers will have much better years in 2013.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun-1918's comment:

Kuroda's lifetime ERA is almost a full run lower than dempster's.

Plus we got a glimpse of dempster vs the AL last year and it wasn't pretty

Kuroda pitched 4 years in the NL West and the ERA plus in those parks is more than that full run lower than at Wrigley where Dempster pitched for 9 years. 

Dempster threw 2 stinker games for Texas, but then reeled off 6 gems with a very good K9 rate. One could argue that the AL west was a tougher division to pitch in last year over the AL East.

I am not saying that Dempster is the equal to signing Greinke, but I am saying he can slide into that 3/4 slot, and assuming health will give the Sox 200 innings, keep them in most every game, and is capable for 12-15 wins if this bullpen turns out as good as it looks on paper. 

No one is saying that the Sox don't have another pitching move on the agenda( I hope it is a trade, not free agent signing) but if this is how the staff will look on opening day, the key will be Lester and Buch getting to 18 wins each, and Lackey and Dempster pitching 180-200 innings each and 13-15 wins each. Farrell needs to manage Doubront, Morales and DeLaRosa on the back end to the next progression level. 

If Pedroia, Ortiz and Ellsbury can stay healthy and put up all star numbers, Middlebrooks continues last years progression, and Napoli and Gomes have an average year, I can see this team competing. I don't see anyone in the AL East running away from the pack. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Last time I checked it was not even Christmas...To all those that are already jumping off the bandwagon. No worries they'll be plenty of sets availble during the ebb and flow of the coming season as many of you and others will continue to jump on and off.

Fact of the matter is that the Sox roster today is better then it was yesterday and certainly better than what we finished 2012 with..News flash, we still have two months before spring training begins and almost 5 months before we break camp and head north and 9 months before the July 31st trade dealine.

Starting Pitching; Lester, Buccholz, Doubront, Dempster, Lackey & Morales
    Bull Pen: Bailely, Melancon, Miller, Uehara, Aceves, Tazawa, Mortenson and a host of others...
    Line-up: Ells, Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, Napoli, Middlebrooks,
    Saltalamaccia/Ross, Kalish/Gomes, Ciriaco/Iglesias...

End of the day that's a pretty decent core group that also affords Ben some options and with options comes leverage and I've not once mentioned the host of good young prospects that are one the cusp of making their way north to Boston...All Aboard!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Considering the options that were available to RS this offseason this was not a terrible sign as most have posted here. After giving up 8 earned runs in 2 of his 1st 3 starts for Rangers did settle down to go 5-0 w/ 1.91 era next 5 w/ 36 K's in 33 ip in next 5. Dempster has pitched over 200 innings in 4 of the last 5 years, and probably pitched the best baseball of his career the last 5 seasons. Considering all the health concerns w/ Haren / McCarthy / Marcum / Sanchez the thing RS need most is someone who will pitch innings.The best part is its only 2 years, givings Barnes / Webster / Ranaudo / Owens / Buttrey and others the time needed to develope. A 14-10 4.14 era 208 IP would work wonders for a very shaky RS rotation. Is there anyone on the staff we can truly count on anyway?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Only two years, not a horrible contract. This sets them up for a big move at the trading deadline.

Leave it to you to try and find a rose in a pile of horse dung.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Only two years, not a horrible contract. This sets them up for a big move at the trading deadline.

Leave it to you to try and find a rose in a pile of horse dung.

You would not be happy with a 250 million dollar payroll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Considering the options that were available to RS this offseason this was not a terrible sign as most have posted here. After giving up 8 earned runs in 2 of his 1st 3 starts for Rangers did settle down to go 5-0 w/ 1.91 era next 5 w/ 36 K's in 33 ip in next 5. Dempster has pitched over 200 innings in 4 of the last 5 years, and probably pitched the best baseball of his career the last 5 seasons. Considering all the health concerns w/ Haren / McCarthy / Marcum / Sanchez the thing RS need most is someone who will pitch innings.The best part is its only 2 years, givings Barnes / Webster / Ranaudo / Owens / Buttrey and others the time needed to develope. A 14-10 4.14 era 208 IP would work wonders for a very shaky RS rotation. Is there anyone on the staff we can truly count on anyway?

niec post. while dempster was the last on my pitcher wish-list he fits the bill for what we were looking for. this Weak FA market is not the place to find a long term pitching solution.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts