ESPN's Jason Martinez: "Red Sox In Better Shape Than Yanks"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: ESPN's Jason Martinez:

Kind of unpredictable.

Hard to tell what this Yankee front office is going to do.

We'll know by spring.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The Red Sox are the worst big market franchise value performance team in MLB history, over the last half a decade.

This post doesn't even make sense, if you need a sponsor let me know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For at least a half a decade, Moonshwemp et al have trumpeted how the old Yankees are going to break down. ...

More lies.

At least a half a decade is over 5 years.

4  years ago, I mentioned how the age of the Yankees doesn't ever seem to effect them.

3 years ago, I said we should see some decline from the big named older guys on the team, and that has happened. I never said they would not replace their production with other players.

2 years ago, I said that unless they made some key acquisitions, their age should catch up to them.

Last winter, I started the "Yank Tank" thread that was banned shortly afterward by the Romney-loving NT Times radicals.

Get the facts straight.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]
    However there are many Yankee fans on NYC forums who pretend to know exactly what the Yankee front office will do, should do, and will be inept at once again. At least those know-it-alls are on a Yankee forum instead of living on a rival team's forum. I could never figure out why nice persons would live on a rival team's forum and enjoy themselves. Kind of like a McCoy going to the Hatfield's home for Thanksgiving.

[/QUOTE]

Like Yonkersman, @rse?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Kind of unpredictable.

We'll know by spring.

It's hard to see how much they can do unless they raise their budget or somehow rid themselves of their big money underperformers....hello, Magic!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

2 years ago, I said that unless they made some key acquisitions, their age should catch up to them.

Your story every year changes and is incoherent.

The Yankees have won the division nearly ever year since you started talking about them breaking down. This year, they were in the ALCS despite losing jeter, Mo and A-Rod being terrible most of the season.  Tex, who is not one of the old men yet, got hurt at year end that started the pitching around the Yankees and the soft belly in the middle.

Shwemp, you don't have a clue.

Always defending the NYY and bashing the Sox...Hmmm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we won 69 games last season...we are not in better shape than the team that won the division

we should worry about rebuilding our pitching and getting some healthy, clutch players

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

we won 69 games last season...we are not in better shape than the team that won the division

n

we should worry about rebuilding our pitching and getting some healthy, clutch players

Maybe you are right, geo...Then again I have no clue anymore...I am just hoping the Yanks finally abandon their fiscal austerity and start spending again...But if they play it conservatively and avoid the big FA's like Josh Hamilton, I suspect that Jason Martinez is not far off the mark....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Been a Red Sox fan since 1967...

Figures that you were a bandwagon jumper even back then.

Your story every year changes and is incoherent.

The Yankees have won the division nearly ever year since you started talking about them breaking down. This year, they were in the ALCS despite losing jeter, Mo and A-Rod being terrible most of the season.  Tex, who is not one of the old men yet, got hurt at year end that started the pitching around the Yankees and the soft belly in the middle.

Shwemp, you don't have a clue.

I never once projected the Yanks to not make the playoffs. I said their aged players were in decline and were likely to continue to do so. I pointed out that their aged players held more important roles to their success than our aged players. I also said that I did not agree with those who claimed that the Yanks would not keep spending to replace or cover for declining players. Keeping Sabathia in the fold was a huge move by the Yanks. Picking up Soriano to "cover for" the aging Mo was expensive but worthwhile. I can imagine if we had signed Soriano to that amount of cash to be Papelbon's back-up and eventual replacement. You'd have crucified Theo, yet you praise Brian.

The fact is, the Yanks are not as good as they were in 2009. Winning the division and 93+ games since then is all well and good, but denying they have declined the past 3 years is typical of your M.O. ...the 3 D's:

Deny, distract, and dishonesty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Kind of unpredictable.

We'll know by spring.

It's hard to see how much they can do unless they raise their budget or somehow rid themselves of their big money underperformers....hello, Magic!

They do have some nice chips to make trades both on the club and down in the farm system.

I know the media has it caste in stone the Yankees want to be down to 189 M.

My skepticism about that theory is that we've all heard it before.

Remember when they acquired Swisher and said this is our 1B for next season?

Then a short time later Tex was available.

I'm guessing that the 189 is a nice figure but ultimately that the Yankees off season moves will be dictated by who is available.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If the late Steinbrenner was still alive,.....

"Andrew Jones, here is a greyhound ticket back to Atlanta."

"A-Rod, next time you play, pretend like its 2007 or 2009." 

"$189 million payroll by 2014?  What a load of crap."

"I wish you a full recovery Jeter."

"Kevin Long, you can sit with Andrew Jones.  Sayonara." 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

If the late Steinbrenner was still alive,.....

"Andrew Jones, here is a greyhound ticket back to Atlanta."

"A-Rod, next time you play, pretend like its 2007 or 2009." 

"$189 million payroll by 2014?  What a load of crap."

"I wish you a full recovery Jeter."

"Kevin Long, you can sit with Andrew Jones.  Sayonara." 

And George would put people in the seats.

His theory was you have to spend to make money, then he would plow the profits back into the organization.

The Steinbrenners still own the team but clearly it has not been run like GS ran it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

According to softy, all is fine in Yankee land. "Wheelchair contracts" for every team except the Yanks are a waste of money. The Yanks are as strong as they were in 2009. All is well- softy said so. And, we all know softy is never wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

If forced to wager now: Yankees better off in 2013 but not after that.

Sox have more down the farm but we all know prospects are no sure thing

After FA, trades, and how injured players like Pineda and Lackey come back a lot can change.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yanks definitely have a better ML readyfor 2013 roster right now... old or not. They will likely pick up some key pieces to fill in some gaps. They have done well with the Eric Chavezes and Raul Ibanezes of the world.

They have about $120M already signed up for 2013, but quite a few arbs cases to sign and FAs to replace or extend.

FAs:

Mo

Kuroda

Swisher

Martin

Suzuki

Garcia

Pettitte

Ibanez

Chavez

Jones

Lowe

Qualls

That's a lot of money coming off the books, although some will be returning for sure.

The Yanks are not going away quickly, but their older high-priced players have been in a steady decline- some for 4+ years. They play key roles in the success of the Yankees, particularly in the playoffs, and this year many were out hurt, being benched, or slumping badly.

The Yanks still won 95 games this year- injuries and all, but this is not as strong a team as the 2009 season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The Yanks definitely have a better ML readyfor 2013 roster right now... old or not. They will likely pick up some key pieces to fill in some gaps. They have done well with the Eric Chavezes and Raul Ibanezes of the world.

They have about $120M already signed up for 2013, but quite a few arbs cases to sign and FAs to replace or extend.

FAs:

Mo

Kuroda

Swisher

Martin

Suzuki

Garcia

Pettitte

Ibanez

Chavez

Jones

Lowe

Qualls

That's a lot of money coming off the books, although some will be returning for sure.

The Yanks are not going away quickly, but their older high-priced players have been in a steady decline- some for 4+ years. They play key roles in the success of the Yankees, particularly in the playoffs, and this year many were out hurt, being benched, or slumping badly.

The Yanks still won 95 games this year- injuries and all, but this is not as strong a team as the 2009 season.

Right on point as usual, moon...

Sections
Shortcuts