ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.

By Jayson Stark
    ESPN.com

A week or so ago, when Ubaldo Jimenez's name first popped out there in the Rumor-verse, it felt like a trial dirigible -- the kind of name a team floats into the ozone just to see what happens.

Not anymore.

On Tuesday afternoon, we heard an official for a contending team utter these momentous words about the Great Ubaldo:

"My guess is, they move him."
    That's because the Ubaldo talk these days is no idle chatter. The Rockies are "really engaged," said one AL executive. And multiple teams echo those sentiments.

The Reds are in. The Yankees and Red Sox are in. The Rangers, Tigers and Blue Jays are on this trail. An executive of one club involved in these talks says he was told that two National League teams, yet to be identified, are working on this deal, as well. Other clubs are conjecturing that one of them almost certainly is Washington.

So that tells us six to eight teams are actively talking to the Rockies, with four days left until the trading deadline. If you think they're all just checking in to get some tips on the best ski lodges in Aspen, better think again.

"You don't do this with your best pitcher," said the official quoted at the top of this column, "unless you're ready to trade him."

If indeed the Rockies really are ready to trade this guy, you have to understand what this means.

It means, for one thing, that it's time to boot Carlos Beltran out of the top spot in the Rumor Central power rankings. Here's why:

Beltran is a difference-maker, but he's also a two-month rent-a-bat with a bad knee who won't even get his new team a draft pick when he bolts this winter.

[+] EnlargeUbaldo Jimenez
    Russell Lansford/Icon SMIIn his past 35 starts, Ubaldo Jimenez is 10-16 with a 4.03 ERA and 217 strikeouts in 216.2 innings.

Jimenez, on the other hand, is a 27-year-old smokeballer who won 19 games last year, throws 96 mph, has a 3.03 ERA (and 71 K's in 71 1/3 innings) since June 1, and is under contract for a mere $9.95 million total over the next two seasons. And guys who fit that profile NEVER get traded away at the trading deadline.

"Of all the players out there, or potentially out there, he has the most value," said an official of one team in this derby. "Because he's a starting pitcher. Because of his age. Because of his contract. So if they trade him, they should bet a bigger return than any other guy on the market."

By remarkable coincidence, that's a sentiment the Rockies happen to agree with wholeheartedly. So the Neiman Marcus price tag they've attached to Jimenez hasn't shown any signs of slipping.

That price is still, in the words of one club, "three or four really good young players." And one of them has to be a high-end pitcher who can be plugged into the Rockies' rotation by the middle of next season.

So for the Yankees, that would mean Ivan Nova -- plus two or three jewels from their system. For the Reds, it would mean Homer Bailey or Travis Wood -- plus the cream of that prospect pool (though one source adamantly denied reports that either Aroldis Chapman or catching stud Devin Mesoraco would be part of this package). For Detroit, it would mean the conversation would have to start with Max Scherzer or Rick Porcello (whom the Tigers have refused to discuss). And, well, you get the idea.

Are the Rockies going to get what they want? Our first inclination is to be skeptical. But remember, the Rockies look at this as the kind of shopping opportunity that doesn't come along every July. So what they've told all the teams they've talked to is: "If we get our price, he's yours. And if not, we'll keep him. Period."

So where is Ubaldo going? The Yankees were described, by one source who spoke with them, as having "strong interest," even though they've downplayed that interest for the most part. The Red Sox have stayed involved from the beginning, and Rockies scouts were spotted all over their system over the last few days.

But an official of one other club believes "the team [the Rockies] really want to do this deal with is Cincinnati, because they've got the young starting pitching to give back. So I think that's where this is going."

Other clubs report they expect these conversations to last into the weekend, and possibly right up until the deadline. If you'd asked us a week ago, or even 48 hours ago, if we thought this would ever get this far, we'd have said, "No way." But, as we said, not anymore.

"He's definitely out there," one exec said. "This is no smokescreen. This is legit."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.

In Response to ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.:
    [QUOTE] By Jayson Stark ESPN.com A week or so ago, when Ubaldo Jimenez 's name first popped out there in the Rumor-verse, it felt like a trial dirigible -- the kind of name a team floats into the ozone just to see what happens. Not anymore. On Tuesday afternoon, we heard an official for a contending team utter these momentous words about the Great Ubaldo: "My guess is, they move him." That's because the Ubaldo talk these days is no idle chatter. The Rockies are "really engaged," said one AL executive. And multiple teams echo those sentiments. The Reds are in. The Yankees and Red Sox are in. The Rangers, Tigers and Blue Jays are on this trail. An executive of one club involved in these talks says he was told that two National League teams, yet to be identified, are working on this deal, as well. Other clubs are conjecturing that one of them almost certainly is Washington. So that tells us six to eight teams are actively talking to the Rockies, with four days left until the trading deadline. If you think they're all just checking in to get some tips on the best ski lodges in Aspen, better think again. "You don't do this with your best pitcher," said the official quoted at the top of this column, "unless you're ready to trade him." If indeed the Rockies really are ready to trade this guy, you have to understand what this means. It means, for one thing, that it's time to boot Carlos Beltran out of the top spot in the Rumor Central power rankings. Here's why: Beltran is a difference-maker, but he's also a two-month rent-a-bat with a bad knee who won't even get his new team a draft pick when he bolts this winter. [+] Enlarge Russell Lansford/Icon SMI In his past 35 starts, Ubaldo Jimenez is 10-16 with a 4.03 ERA and 217 strikeouts in 216.2 innings. Jimenez, on the other hand, is a 27-year-old smokeballer who won 19 games last year, throws 96 mph, has a 3.03 ERA (and 71 K's in 71 1/3 innings) since June 1, and is under contract for a mere $9.95 million total over the next two seasons. And guys who fit that profile NEVER get traded away at the trading deadline. "Of all the players out there, or potentially out there, he has the most value," said an official of one team in this derby. "Because he's a starting pitcher. Because of his age. Because of his contract. So if they trade him, they should bet a bigger return than any other guy on the market." By remarkable coincidence, that's a sentiment the Rockies happen to agree with wholeheartedly. So the Neiman Marcus price tag they've attached to Jimenez hasn't shown any signs of slipping. That price is still, in the words of one club, "three or four really good young players." And one of them has to be a high-end pitcher who can be plugged into the Rockies' rotation by the middle of next season. So for the Yankees, that would mean Ivan Nova -- plus two or three jewels from their system. For the Reds, it would mean Homer Bailey or Travis Wood -- plus the cream of that prospect pool (though one source adamantly denied reports that either Aroldis Chapman or catching stud Devin Mesoraco would be part of this package). For Detroit, it would mean the conversation would have to start with Max Scherzer or Rick Porcello (whom the Tigers have refused to discuss). And, well, you get the idea. Are the Rockies going to get what they want? Our first inclination is to be skeptical. But remember, the Rockies look at this as the kind of shopping opportunity that doesn't come along every July. So what they've told all the teams they've talked to is: "If we get our price, he's yours. And if not, we'll keep him. Period." So where is Ubaldo going? The Yankees were described, by one source who spoke with them, as having "strong interest," even though they've downplayed that interest for the most part. The Red Sox have stayed involved from the beginning, and Rockies scouts were spotted all over their system over the last few days. But an official of one other club believes "the team [the Rockies] really want to do this deal with is Cincinnati, because they've got the young starting pitching to give back. So I think that's where this is going." Other clubs report they expect these conversations to last into the weekend, and possibly right up until the deadline. If you'd asked us a week ago, or even 48 hours ago, if we thought this would ever get this far, we'd have said, "No way." But, as we said, not anymore. "He's definitely out there," one exec said. "This is no smokescreen. This is legit."
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I don't think many of us would be upset to see Jimenez in our rotation.  Most articles I have read suggest the Sox simply don't have the bait to land him.  I also read somewhere that the Yankees are willing to throw all ther top prospects out there for Jimenez and it's still not enough.

I think he stays put and the Rockies are just sampling the waters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.

well Edith, now that beltran has gone to the giants, I think that theo will focus on this kid. what a pick up if we can get jiminez.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

"He's definitely out there," one exec said. "This is no smokescreen. This is legit."

fun to think about

but still hard to believe

I also read somewhere that the Yankees are willing to throw all ther top prospects out there for Jimenez and it's still not enough.

love to see a link on that one craze

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

His relative low cost is exactly why I think Colorado is crazy to trade him...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.:
    [QUOTE]"He's definitely out there," one exec said. "This is no smokescreen. This is legit." fun to think about but still hard to believe  I also read somewhere that the Yankees are willing to throw all ther top prospects out there for Jimenez and it's still not enough. love to see a link on that one craze
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Sorry zac I took it wrong, its the Yankees that won't offer their top prospects up because of "red flags" they have with Jimenez and his loss of arm speed.  Heres the one I read if you need it ...

http://www.sportsrumormill.com/forum/breaking-mlb-news/64101-yankees-unwilling-give-up-top-prospects-jimenez.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I took it wrong

thanks for standing tall crazy

not that we should believe anything we read the next few days

I have read many stories saying the yanks had the means to get it done

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

But would anyone here want to see the Sox give up Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Ranaudo and Iglesias to get it done?  Or even three of the four?  As good as Jimenez would look in the Sox rotation right about now, I do not want to see a combination of any of these four traded right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i have heard that the rockies want kyle weiland and felix doubront plus an infield prospect and an outfield prospect. I have no problem giving up those 2 pitchers and would be willing to include guys like navarro, kalish, anderson, etc to complete the trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Well, if it were Navarro, and Linares, along with Weiland and Doubront, I would do it in a heart beat.  If it involves Iglesias and Kalish, I would not.  Reddick looks like heir apparent to RF, but then, Kalish was heir apparent to RF last year.  And Iglesias is still the best bet to shore up the troublesome SS position for the coming future.

I like Navarro.  He's got a good glove at SS and is much more advanced as a hitter than Iglesias, but the Sox have Baegarts (sp?), who may yet prove to be the best of them all, so I would not object to trading Navarro at this point in time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i would give up weiland, doubront, navarro, and someone like lars anderson/tim federowitz/alex hassan/ pretty much anyone they want besides ranuado, middlebrooks, and iglesias. I would even give them kalish cuz really we dont need him. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN's Jayson Stark notes that the Red Sox have "stayed involved from the beginning" on Jimenez.:
    [QUOTE]ya i would give up weiland, doubront, navarro, and someone like lars anderson/tim federowitz/alex hassan/ pretty much anyone they want besides ranuado, middlebrooks, and iglesias. I would even give them kalish cuz really we dont need him. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

I agree with the names you are bringing up. Kalish definitely could be included. Hopefully the Sox can get this deal done. They have a lot of depth in their farm system, but not trading the top 3 prospects is important. Plus, Rockies wouldn't want Iglesias since they have Tulo locked up for a while. The questions about the injury to Buchholz just intensifies the Sox desire/need for a pitcher like Ubaldo. The Red Sox rotation would be locked up for the next couple of years if they trade for Ubaldo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

If the Sox could pull this off without giving up Ranaudo, Middlebrooks, or Lavarnway it would be a major win. Doubront, Weiland, Kalish, plus one could be attractive to Colorado. All three are close to being in the majors and in fact would be in the majors in almost any other organization. If Colorado would accept this so would I. The real question I have is how Ubaldo would perform in the AL East? He certainly would have plenty of run support and a solid D behind him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not sure Theo will ever bring Iglesias up to the bigs FT. Theo wants a hitting SS. That being said, I'd include Iglesias in the deal, but I'm not sure Colorado wants a SS.

I'd give Weiland, Doubront, Tejada, and Exposito/Federowicz.

I'd much prefer Shields, but I doubt TB would deal him to us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Absolutely NOT. If were talking our top prospects the name better be King Felix.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IowaSoxFan. Show IowaSoxFan's posts

Get serious.  If the two pitchers involved are Weiland and Doubrant, then that certainly can't be anything to hold the sox back.  Both are good prospects, but Weiland's projection is a 3-5 guy tops in the AL - 5 at best IMO.  I like the lefty Doubrant, but the guy has had a lot of injuries for such a young guy. 

There should be no reason not to let Kalish go, as he or Reddick is expendable with Crawford and Ellsbury most likely patrolling the OF with one of those two for a long time.  Good player, but still a no-brainer if Jimenez is the return.

Lastly, I would hate to lose Iglesias, but I really question whether he will ever hit well enough to be adequate in an AL lineup.  His defense is great, but again I question it.  Plus, with Tulo I question rather Colorado would want Iglesias.  If anything I think they would be more interested in Anderson with Helton being at the end of his career.

Weiland, Doubrant, Kalish and Anderson is a great return for Colorado.  Jimenez in a rotation with Beck, Lester, Buch and Lackey is nails.  Sox would have the luxury of extending Jimenez for three years and give him big money at the back end considering he is under control for the next two at under $6 million per.

I am not saying the Rox would do that trade, but if they would the Sox should jump.  Kalish = blocked.  Anderson = blocked.  Weiland and Doubrant are maybe blocked in terms of the rotation, but I do believe they offer the Sox depth and possible bullpen arms.  But, to get a guy like Jimenez it makes sense.