even the NRA thinks JBJ's arm should b regulated! best ever for a Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: even the NRA thinks JBJ's arm should b regulated! best ever for a Sox?

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Dewey transcended the position.  He was beyond it, as if he invented the RF arm.  

No one doubts JBJ is a phenom on the field with a great arm; I think we need to figure out if he's ever going to hit better than a Cape Cod League kid. So far, it don't look too good.

Don't know whether you ever saw Clemente play but he was every bit as good as Evans and maybe better.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Clemente was a phenom.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to steven11's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Even though his average has been only marginally better, JBJ has DRASTICALLY cut down on the strike outs the last 3 weeks. He has almost cut his strike outs in third...not in half but in THIRD.  He looks more comfortable, is getting better looks and putting more wood on the ball.  If he keeps that up the stats will follow.  I'm not saying he's going to hit .300 but I think he's going to at least justify his defense with the bat.

He had about a 31% strike out rate this year, but over the last couple weeks his reduced it down to 13%

There is bond between minor league players.  Hopefully Mookie's arrival and playing next to JBJ, has a positive effect.

interesting point steve.  hope that is beneficial to both of them.  and mr. bogaerts as well.

other names i have posted under:  none

Iggy had a great arm and defensive skill set and look where it got him.  If the kid can't hit he shouldn't be in the lineup until we have a better supporting cast out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Iggy wasn't a bad hitter. The FO thought Xander would be an all around better player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

Iggy wasn't a bad hitter. The FO thought Xander would be an all around better player.

Iggy was a mediocre hitter before and after his hot streak so the jury is still out which way he goes.  JBJ is even worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Dewey was the best RF of all time! Sorry Roberto!!! Dewey threw guys out at 3b from the deepest parts of RF in Fenway with regularity. Also if you are comparing a rookie to the best ever you should probably put down the pipe.

I also believe he was as good as Roberto but REGULARLY threw guys out at third???

He average 1.4 to third 3.0 to second and 2.5 to home in 19 years. also had two assist to first

RC averaged 2.6 to 3rd, 5.3 to 2nd, 3.55 to home and 10 at first in 18 yrs 

Let me restate my first line 

NO ONE is close to Roberto Clemente

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Florida, I agree. Clemente was arguably the greatest defensive RF in MLB history.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hall of Fame Hitter as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I've been saying that there's 3 positions you can deal with a mediocre offensive output as long as the defense is great: CF, SS, and C. You don't want all three to be below par, but you can deal with one or two. If...and it's a big if...Xander winds up back at SS, that's one spot down. You then only have JBJ (who I don't think will remain such a crappy hitter) and the catcher spot to work on. I think his defense is well worth a "hole" at the 9 spot, especially since he has been pretty solid with runners in scoring position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

To put this kid in the same league as Dewey & Clemente is an embarrassment to whomever chooses to make such a premature leap!  Absolutely absurd!  So far the kid looks very good in CF.  He clearly needs to go down for another year or two, & work on his hitting!  WITHOUT QUESTION!  LEAST THEY RUIN YET ANOTHER YOUNG CAREER!!!!!

The first order of business ABSOLUTELY MUST BE teaching the kid a proper ready position!!!!!   He has ZERO CHANCE of ever hitting with consistency if they do not immediately address THE number 1 problem.  He almost never gets his hands back, bat back, & shoulder up, ready to come through the ball on a level plain!!!  If this is not corrected soon, his career will be over before he has a chance to begin it.  It's an absolute shame!!!  Shame on nobody talking about it!  Not even the guys in the know around the organization.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Dewey was the best RF of all time! Sorry Roberto!!! Dewey threw guys out at 3b from the deepest parts of RF in Fenway with regularity. Also if you are comparing a rookie to the best ever you should probably put down the pipe.

I also believe he was as good as Roberto but REGULARLY threw guys out at third???

He average 1.4 to third 3.0 to second and 2.5 to home in 19 years. also had two assist to first

RC averaged 2.6 to 3rd, 5.3 to 2nd, 3.55 to home and 10 at first in 18 yrs 

Let me restate my first line 

NO ONE is close to Roberto Clemente

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Well, this is a RS forum, so what did U expect?

I always thought Colavito was in this company as well. This guy Puig looks pretty good, too.

Others that come to mind are Carl Furillo - The Reading Rifle, a young Dave Parker, perhaps a young Reggie Jax, Johnny Callison, Jimmy Piersall before the arm injury - suffered in a throwing contest with Mays before an ASG in the late 50s,  Winfield, Cesar Geronimo, Ichiro a while back, and in CF, Mays; who supposedly threw guys out at home trying to tag up from the CF warning track.

To claim JBJ is with these guys is a little ridiculous; sort of a heat of the moment proclamation by the OP, who has a tendency to do this.

Reggie Smith and Yaz, who were almost as good as the guys stated above, if not arguably by a smidge, would blow him away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

FWIW

I believe this list left off Piersall (of Fear Strikes Out semi-infamy), which IMO is a gross oversight should that be the case

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1153952-mlb-the-40-best-outfield-arms-in-baseball-history/page/2" rel="nofollow">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1153952-mlb-the-40-best-outfield-arms-in-baseball-history/page/2

Sections
Shortcuts