Everyone happy about the Ben Cherington Contract to David Ortiz?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Everyone happy about the Ben Cherington Contract to David Ortiz?

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

He earned his salary for 2004 and 2007 during those seasons. Last I checked he only stupid baseball teams pay employees for things they used to do.

Soooooo.....if you don't pay a player based on their history....then what else do you have to go by?  The only FACTS is their history, basing salary on what a player COULD do is even more stupid.....

Paying a guy on what he has done is so passe.  The smarter teams have dart boards now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

He earned his salary for 2004 and 2007 during those seasons. Last I checked he only stupid baseball teams pay employees for things they used to do.

Last 3 season for Ortiz: HR 32, 29, 23.  RBI 102,96, 60.  AVG 270, 308, 318.  OBP 370, 398, 415. All star appearences - 3.  If it wasn't for the achilles last year his stas would have been one of the best in all of MLB.  So what the heck else are they supposed to base salary on??  What more can the guy do?  Based on his history....HE WILL BE FINE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

underpaid? That is a load of garbage. 

I guess underpaid is a relative term, but it does seem like a load..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

underpaid? That is a load of garbage. 

He's 5th in wOPS over the past two years.  I'm not saying he is underpaid, but what do you expect to pay for someone with a .981 OPS over two years?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

David Ortiz is a Sox icon.  You have to give him the consideration that you might not necessarily give to others.  Is it a gamble ?  Of course it is.

Exactly. And there still remains more than half of spring training.

As far as I'm concerned, I dont' start getting concerned until the end of April. If he misses the first month but is fine there after, I have Zero problem with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to selenium-'s comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to selenium-'s comment:

Can anyone recall if ADG ever started a thread where he didn't whine, pout, and cry?

Plenty, but a lot of them are true so take off your rose colored goggles. Punto, Crawful, Lackey, Beckett, etc.

I started threads on Matt Barnes, JBJ, etc. I'm a realist like Bill, Softy, etc. You hope for the best and avoid reality.

A realisist knows that Crawford and Lackey were injured and playing hurt and doesn't project their performance to be poor into the future . A realist knows that Beckett had an offseason. A realist says these things a few times but doesn't feel compelled to bash about them on a daily basis. A realist doesn't hope for the worst like ADG, Georom, Softlaw, and Enchilada do. A realist doesn't cultivate a forum identity and ego on predicting failure for the team and each of its players daily.

Sounds very lib/left/soc/rad/moonbatty to me !!!!  Son,  your on the wrong side of history here !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Sounds very lib/left/soc/rad/moonbatty to me !!!!  Son,  your on the wrong side of history here !!!

There you go again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

But if they don't re-sign Ortiz, what do they do? Was there a game changing move that they didn't make because they chose to re-sign Ortiz? If they're really taking a step back this year and possibly next, why not keep Ortiz around? He's popular, he wanted to stay here, it'd be nice to see him finish up in Boston given his history here.  He might be injury prone now, he may not produce, but if the team isn't going anywhere anyway, what difference does it make? It's not my money....

Now, if they had a shot at, say, Joey Votto or the like and passed because they wanted to keep Ortiz, I'd have a problem with it. But given how they approached the off-season I don't think they were looking to make a huge move like that. As long as they're not sacrificing the long-term to keep Ortiz in the short-term I'm happy to have him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

He got his two year contract at the wrong time. Why rush back and play. He got the money, and Ben C threw money away.

I don't see Papi pulling a Manny, let him get healthy and play when hes ready.  I think David knows any real success this team has depends on his bat and health.  There is plenty of time left to get his swing down, its not like hes a rookie or positional player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

David Ortiz stats for 2012, 2011, and 2010: 1.026/.318, .953/.309, .899/.270

If he can produce those stats for the next two years he is worth his contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Exactly, look around this lineup, is anyones bat really more important than Davids?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Exactly, look around this lineup, is anyones bat really more important than Davids?

If he can produce those numbers hes underpaid by todays baseball standards...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

+1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The other arguement about his contract is that he is damaged goods, but when his contract was being negotiated he seemed to be on the road to recovery and there was no one saying otherwise. His condition is not career threatening, and we still do not know exactly how long he will be out or how many games he will play this year. I agree with Echilida that we should not be giving him $13M x 2 for what he did in 2004 and 2007. Thats a long time ago. But if you base his contract on his last three years here I think he is being compensated fairly-not overpaid because he is just a DH and does not play in the field nearly at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Modano9009's comment:

But if they don't re-sign Ortiz, what do they do? Was there a game changing move that they didn't make because they chose to re-sign Ortiz? If they're really taking a step back this year and possibly next, why not keep Ortiz around? He's popular, he wanted to stay here, it'd be nice to see him finish up in Boston given his history here.  He might be injury prone now, he may not produce, but if the team isn't going anywhere anyway, what difference does it make? It's not my money....

Now, if they had a shot at, say, Joey Votto or the like and passed because they wanted to keep Ortiz, I'd have a problem with it. But given how they approached the off-season I don't think they were looking to make a huge move like that. As long as they're not sacrificing the long-term to keep Ortiz in the short-term I'm happy to have him.

It's not what would they do...it's what they COULD do without him on the team. Without Ortiz, they have the DH position to rotate young players/semi-injured guys/guys needing a day off from the field. Now when Pedroia is a little bange d (f u c k you filter b i t c h e s)up...and he WILL be a little bange d up at some point, he either plays the field and possibly makes it worse, or has to take spot starts totally off rather tha slide into a DH position. Lavarnway could be up here full time. If Gomes/Victorino/or some other platoon-type player gets hot, they have a spot to hit without freezing out another player. They could have had FLEXIBILITY. Now they have none...except for the fact that their 26 million dollar PR move just had MRIs on BOTH heels, and is looking like he'll be lucky to play half the season at this point...so maybe the roster concerns are a moot point. BUT, they willingly surrendered all lineup flexibility, and bogged down their roster. Stupid stupid STUPID move. Where's Napoli go when his dying hip gives him trouble? What if WMB has a little lingering thing that takes him off the field, but he could still hit? Oh well, I guess those guys sit so the whiny 'icon' can get what he 'deserves'.

DUMB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

It's not what would they do...it's what they COULD do without him on the team. Without Ortiz, they have the DH position to rotate young players/semi-injured guys/guys needing a day off from the field. Now when Pedroia is a little bange d (f u c k you filter b i t c h e s)up...and he WILL be a little bange d up at some point, he either plays the field and possibly makes it worse, or has to take spot starts totally off rather tha slide into a DH position. Lavarnway could be up here full time. If Gomes/Victorino/or some other platoon-type player gets hot, they have a spot to hit without freezing out another player. They could have had FLEXIBILITY.

Well, you could apply this same argument to Ortiz's entire career with Boston.  They would have had more flexibility in all those years.  And they would have scored a lot less runs and won less games.  Flexibility is a nice-sounding word, but it doesn't necessarily translate to better results.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

It's not what would they do...it's what they COULD do without him on the team. Without Ortiz, they have the DH position to rotate young players/semi-injured guys/guys needing a day off from the field. Now when Pedroia is a little bange d (f u c k you filter b i t c h e s)up...and he WILL be a little bange d up at some point, he either plays the field and possibly makes it worse, or has to take spot starts totally off rather tha slide into a DH position. Lavarnway could be up here full time. If Gomes/Victorino/or some other platoon-type player gets hot, they have a spot to hit without freezing out another player. They could have had FLEXIBILITY.

Well, you could apply this same argument to Ortiz's entire career with Boston.  They would have had more flexibility in all those years.  And they would have scored a lot less runs and won less games.  Flexibility is a nice-sounding word, but it doesn't necessarily translate to better results.

especially if they don't actually use it.... when Ortiz was hurt last season who was our DH? pedro ciriaco... and that was when Pedroia just came back from injury too. Now, i assume JF will manage the team much better than BV but you never know..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Got no problem with it.  Even if he makes only a few appearances due to injury, the morale factor to assure he retires in Boston was worth the contract.  Even in today's MLB, who kicks a guy like Papi to the curb in his final yrs?  We'll need him on the batting staff just as we need Pedro and Varitek.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

In response to RickEO's comment:

He earned it with 2 World Series. Same as when slap hitter Jeter was making 20 Million a yr.

If the Sox had "slap hitter " Jeter they would have 2 more WS titles than they do with HGH Ortiz.

Which years?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to prknsdnld's comment:

In response to RickEO's comment:

He earned it with 2 World Series. Same as when slap hitter Jeter was making 20 Million a yr.

If the Sox had "slap hitter " Jeter they would have 2 more WS titles than they do with HGH Ortiz.

Which years?

the years they got beat in the playoffs....wth??? how can this argument ever be settled? they were both great players...but im sure that "slap" hitter will be a first ballot hall of famer...papi - doubtful

Sections
Shortcuts