Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox

All depends on Buchholtz status, that is why injury couldn't have come at a worse time. The Sox must make decision based on insufficent information, they  will need 3rd starter if out long term. Deal must be made before deadline, because getting quality arm threw waivers will be remote at best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Why not give Weiland a shot?  How many times do we have to watch Miller struggle?   Weiland clearly is a better pitcher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Why not give Weiland a shot?  How many times do we have to watch Miller struggle?   Weiland clearly is a better pitcher.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's a two-part answer.

1) Miller has had a few reasonably good outings and there's still hope he can be better.

2) Miller's contract situation.  I think he can opt out rather than be sent to the minors.  So any decision on him not being able to do the job is a final one.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]The Braves just got Bourne from the Astros and the Phillies and Indians made a big splash. What about the Red Sox? Do they need any more that Aviles?
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

How about the remaining 25 MLB teams? What have they done? Please inform us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Sox needed to do the least.

The only position they need to upgrade really is starting pitcher.

And there isn't alot out there that makes sense.

Can't blame Theo albeit as I said months ago, trading Lowre to the Giants in June was the move to make - Giants need a MIF that can hit and they have starters to deal.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colosoxman. Show Colosoxman's posts

I predict Calos Quentin you heard it hear first. Love Reddick but he has trouble with curveballs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Well, PHI overpaid for Pence and CLE overpaid for Jimenez. In this kind of environment, with BOS going long and deep in the off-season with Gonzalez and Crawford, it would seem that they should take a chance on standing pat.

There is talk of Aviles going to the outfield, which makes me think they may want to send the message that BOS is done dealing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ummmmmm trade deadline isn't over. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Phillies overpaid for Pence? from everything i read the Astros got had

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]The Sox needed to do the least. The only position they need to upgrade really is starting pitcher. And there isn't alot out there that makes sense. Can't blame Theo albeit as I said months ago, trading Lowre to the Giants in June was the move to make - Giants need a MIF that can hit and they have starters to deal.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I thought you wrote that the Giants need a M1LF!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]Phillies overpaid for Pence? from everything i read the Astros got had
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Read the Notin post from the other day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

It is possible that theo really blew for this season. Jiminez should have been the pitcher.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox : I thought you wrote that the Giants need a M1LF!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]LOL..JD, you're a nut!...Stiffler's Mom for Matt Cain..Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]It is possible that theo really blew for this season. Jiminez should have been the pitcher.
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

Yankees and Red Sox scouts didn't like the 5 mph dropoff in Jimenez's fastball. His mechanics are off. Did you watch his last inning pitched yesterday? Better save your Theo bashing to when you have some material.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]It is possible that theo really blew for this season. Jiminez should have been the pitcher.

? ? ?

Worst case scenario, we continue the season with our current roster, a roster that currently has the best record in the AL.  While I think we would all like to see an upgrade in SP, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't get one.  IMO, our situation is not so dire that it requires Theo overpaying for a 2 month rental. 

Jimenez would have been nice and would have been more than a rental, but the Rockies willingness to part with him raises some red flags for me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox got an upgrade w/ Lester

Buck could be an upgrade

Addition by subtraction w/ Drew

Salty contributing nicely the 2nd half

DMac showing signs of life

Pedey back to form

Lackey making positive strides

and the wild card - Aceves - he could be the Sox 4th starter in the post season if Buck doesn't come back.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox : How about the remaining 25 MLB teams? What have they done? Please inform us.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of those teams will have no impact on Sox season, so who really cares, The teams Sox could see in post-season interest me the most the Phills getting Spence and Giants with Beltran have decreased Sox chances in WS showdown, and now Braves are getting Bourn.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Sox got an upgrade w/ Lester Buck could be an upgrade Addition by subtraction w/ Drew Salty contributing nicely the 2nd half DMac showing signs of life Pedey back to form Lackey making positive strides and the wild card - Aceves - he could be the Sox 4th starter in the post season if Buck doesn't come back.........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] IMO, the biggest plus for you guys right now..also the fact that if healthy, Ace can go long if you guys suffered an early exit by one of your pitchers in a postseasn game...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Or how about the following scenario:

Sox get Bell and re-align their rotation by sticking Aceves in the rotation and trying Miller in the pen

Aceves as emergency starter only in the playoffs (or to replace Lackey in Oct should he have a bad start or 2)

Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Aceves, Wakefield until Buck comes back

Paps, Bard, Bell, Albiers, Miller, Morales, Wheeler (Bowden as a Sept call up and back up plan)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

So put your GM hat on...what package would you have offered for a pitcher who has 4.46 ERA this year, a sub-.500 record since last years All Star break, and drop in velocity this season?  And yes, I realize he pitches half his games in Colorado and that his peripherals have been better of late.

Now keep in mind that you would need to offer a better package than what the Indians offered (tough to do since we don't have a prospect rated nearly as high as Pomeranz per most sources).  

I may end up being 100% wrong and Ubaldo may go on a Doyle Alexander caliber stretch run (which did cost the Tigers John Smoltz if I remember correctly) and pitch the Indians into the playoffs, but I'm glad the Sox lost out in this case.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

If Bell goes to Rangers, which was reported last night that they were the front runners, bothers me more than him going to Yanks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox :    The vast majority of those teams will have no impact on Sox season, so who really cares, The teams Sox could see in post-season interest me the most the Phills getting Spence and Giants with Beltran have decreased Sox chances in WS showdown, and now Braves are getting Bourn.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

But the thread title said "EVERYONE is getting their upgrade". It was OVERSTATEMENT and OVERREACTION. Statements should be accurate or else restated so that they are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Wah, wah, wah...

stop the crying.  The Sox did not need an upgrade like everyone else.  Over the last 95 games they have been the best team in all of baseball, including the Phillies.

Besides, it is 12:56pm, not 4:00pm

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone is getting their upgrade....except the Red Sox : But the thread title said "EVERYONE is getting their upgrade". It was OVERSTATEMENT and OVERREACTION. Statements should be accurate or else restated so that they are.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Point well taken, many teams will actually have taken a turn for the worse as many of the prospects they recieved don't pan out.

Sections
Shortcuts