Excited about 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Excited about 2013

I have to admit, I did not like the off season signings when they were made. I was all for playing the kids and moving on. Now however I suddenly have a good feeling about this team. The starters do have the possibility of having real #1 & #2's in in Lest and Buch. I also think Lackey has something to prove and he will. Doubby should be fine and win his 12-14 games. The starters are actually pretty deep.

You never know what will happen with the pen, but this one looks strong and deep, especially if Bard makes a comeback.

Im liking the infield alot, again plenty of depth. i believe the addition of some older stable ball players in the outfield will help immensly with the growth of the sox. If this team stays healthy they could make a run.

Best part, we lost no kids in developing this team.

A complete reversal in my thought process from the past winter, but then again signs of spring and my Sox do this to me!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Excited about 2013

I have no doubt that the team is good.  This will all revolve around health.  If we get 140+ starts from our regular rotation, we should be in contention.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

One advantage for the Red Sox: Unlike in the past, not many are expecting them to contend.  So they should just relax, have fun, and go out and play hard.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

I have to admit, I did not like the off season signings when they were made. I was all for playing the kids and moving on. Now however I suddenly have a good feeling about this team. The starters do have the possibility of having real #1 & #2's in in Lest and Buch. I also think Lackey has something to prove and he will. Doubby should be fine and win his 12-14 games. The starters are actually pretty deep.

You never know what will happen with the pen, but this one looks strong and deep, especially if Bard makes a comeback.

Im liking the infield alot, again plenty of depth. i believe the addition of some older stable ball players in the outfield will help immensly with the growth of the sox. If this team stays healthy they could make a run.

A complete reversal in my thought process from the past winter, but then again signs of spring and my Sox do this to me!

Nice thread and nice post Promise.  I am excited about this team too!  It's a solid team, both from the talent standpoint and the "intangibles" standpoint, with nice depth.  If the team stays relatively healthy they should be playing meaningful baseball throughout September.

And like you said, we lost no kids in putting this team together, nor is the team strapped financially in the upcoming years.

I can't wait for baseball to start!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I am also excited about the 2013 season.  Hey, it is spring, a time for optimism.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:

I am also excited about the 2013 season.  Hey, it is spring, a time for optimism.

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this team has no expectations - so in a sense it means to just sit back and enjoy the game, the warm weather, and all the other nice things about the pastime....

i would be stoked if this group could go .500 and stay in it for a while....that and they let some of the youngsters actually play extended periods and stop the yo yo nonsense of the past

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i would be stoked if this group could go .500 and stay in it for a while....that and they let some of the youngsters actually play extended periods and stop the yo yo nonsense of the past

i would imagine we see some of our future stars at some point this year. RDLR, XB, JBJ to name a few certainties we'll see. Our place in the standings will determine how long they play but it will definitely be nice to get a sneak peek of whats to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nice thread and nice post Promise.  I am excited about this team too!  It's a solid team, both from the talent standpoint and the "intangibles" standpoint, with nice depth.  If the team stays relatively healthy they should be playing meaningful baseball throughout September.

And like you said, we lost no kids in putting this team together, nor is the team strapped financially in the upcoming years.

I can't wait for baseball to start!

Thanks Kimi, for the last 47 years spring has sprung eternal for my love of the Sox! Through the good and the not so wonderful!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

90 wins . Bank on it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I like Boston's line-up and bullpen.  The team will score a lot of runs. 

The key is their starting rotation.  Last year, Boston starters were 48-72 with a 5.19 ERA.  This needs to improve in 2013. 

I predict the Red Sox to win 87 games and clinch a Wild Card berth. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Great thread and OP my friend. The thing I like most about the team this year is that the guys they signed as FAs aren't prima donnas. They're all hard nosed ballplayers that are going to leave it all out on the field. That alone should make this a fun team to watch and cheer for. I'm also looking forward to the first time I get to see Victorino gun down someone trying to go 1st to 3rd on a single. It's been too long since we've had an outfielder with that kind of arm. As much as I like Ellsbury and liked Damon, their arms seem to be made out of spaghetti. Anyway can't wait to see some more Red Sox baseball on April 1 from NYC. Go Sox!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Please don"t remove post"s! I like to see those guys get their proverbial azzez kicked by this this great forum team!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great thread and OP my friend. The thing I like most about the team this year is that the guys they signed as FAs aren't prima donnas. They're all hard nosed ballplayers that are going to leave it all out on the field. That alone should make this a fun team to watch and cheer for. I'm also looking forward to the first time I get to see Victorino gun down someone trying to go 1st to 3rd on a single. It's been too long since we've had an outfielder with that kind of arm. As much as I like Ellsbury and liked Damon, their arms seem to be made out of spaghetti. Anyway can't wait to see some more Red Sox baseball on April 1 from NYC. Go Sox!

My Friend, baseball is a game who is loved by their fans. I am excited by this team. I dont need the super stars, I want players that yearn to win and give their all. Im ready to go, bring it on AL east!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I have no doubt that the team is good.

Joe, did you have any doubt about the 2012 team being "good"?  I have serious doubts about the 2013 Red Sox being good, to the point where I would have offered Ortiz a one year take it or leave it retirement contract, with a team option, of no more than 15M, as well as trading Ellsbury and the nearly sure draft compensation to the highest winter bidder. I would have done the Napoli damaged goods contract, but I would have laughed at Shane (patched with R. Johnson and minor league contract offers to Pods and Sizemore) and passed on Drew. Gomes is alright as a platoon guy.

This GM will rue those contracts to Shane and Dumpster, as well as passing a windfall chance to trade Ellsbury at the end of 2011. J. Upton was cheap on the trade market, and would have taken care of LF for many years to come.

Joe, how much confidence have you had in Red Sox middle management, since Duquette left? Right now, Joe, are you confident that current Red Sox middle management will get playoff wins over the next two years?

You do realize that siezmore has had 2 knee surgeries and a back surgery the last 2 years and wont be ready to play until maybe mid-season, right?

Theres a reason why hes still available...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hey Promise!!

I think their plan was the best one to compete now change the clubhouse and team culture that has seemed to go downhill the last couple years all while keeping their most promising prospects.

Its the same for me Promise. Once ST arrives, no matter whats happened in the past, I cant help but get optomistic about the season ahead and to be able to watch the best game in the world...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I agree. As long as the team is healthy, I think this lineup will be pretty good. Napoli is the big righty power bat they've needed in the middle of the order since Manny left, Middlebrooks will be fun to see grow, Jacoby, Pedroia and Ortiz are always a fun crew...and the likes of Gomes, Victorino, Drew and Ross are just good guy additions that will be fun to watch. And I think they'll produce too! 

I think the bullpen is probably the strongest asset the Sox have going for them. Pretty much anyone they'll call on could be a top guy in any other team's pen.

The biggest issue, obviously, is the rotation. Is Lester going to rebound, is Clay going to stay healthy and finally live up to what he can be, is Lackey going to not suck now that he's healthy, is Doubront in good enough shape to last a whole season, will Dempster be able to cut it in the AL.....lots of question marks here.

All in all, if those rotation issues all fall into place, Papi, Victorino, Drew and Napoli stay healthy and Middlebrooks continues to develop...I think that this team, even on paper, is capable of a World Series win. At the very least, it's a team that will stay in the hunt and be easy to root for, which is an upgrade all on its own.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Liking the thread, Promise.  Hey, I'm excited every year!  No expectations used to be the norm for this team when I was growing up in the fifties and sixties.  Those teams (save the '67 team of course) were always middle of the pack, but I still had the transistor radio to my ear from start to finish.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSdirtdogOR. Show RSdirtdogOR's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You do realize that siezmore has had 2 knee surgeries and a back surgery the last 2 years and wont be ready to play until maybe mid-season, right?

Theres a reason why hes still available...

You do realize that's why I just stated that I would sign R. Johnson to the cheap one year deal for the peanuts he cost, and offered minor league contracts to Sizemore and Pods.

Your catatonic captious trolling is quite pitiful, southfaux.

I bet you say this to all your boys???  Wink wink nudge nudge, say no more.