Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?:
    In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : Why, gale? It happens everyday in corporate America. The work horses band together against upper management.
    Posted by J-BAY

These " work horses " are not banding together against upper management. They are running to upper management, complaining about their immediate supervisor. It would be more impressive if they dealt with it like men.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

I haven't read all the posts on here so I might be repeating what someone else wrote.

It seems to me that boths sides can be wrong. Even if the players are babies, brats and whatever other terminology fans want to use to rip the players are 100 percent correct, it doesn't mean that Bobby V. can't be wrong too in the way he's done things.

A manager is supposed to bring a team together, get them to play hard and put out fires before they start or build. Bobby V. too often has started fires for no reason or threw gasoline on fires simply ... well, who knows why he's done it.

And before anyone starts ridiculing the players as being coddled, treating players with respect and not throwing them under the bus isn't being coddled.

Ask yourself this:

Do you want to work for a boss who pits co-workers against each other?

Do you want to work for a boss who doesn't communicate?

Do you want to work for a boss who makes sarcastic remarks instead of constructive criticism?

Do you want to work for a boss who ridicules you in public instead of discussing things with you in private?

Do you want to work for a boss who plays games and in-office politics instead of being strait forward?

Sure, the players have issues and they might not respect him, but maybe it's because he doesn't respect them or treat them with respect.

Respect is a two-way street.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?:
    In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : dirts, That's what I've been saying since I had a fire BV thread back in May. It's not his fault, but he's got to go because the team atmosphere is toxic.
    Posted by dannycater

YEP!  The whole thing stinks! The players deserve to get sacked! but the real world of the MLB doesn't work that way.

Bobby V. is a joke no matter how we slice it!  He simply has to go.  Clean house in the off season!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : These " work horses " are not banding together against upper management. They are running to upper management, complaining about their immediate supervisor. It would be more impressive if they dealt with it like men.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Maybe they did. It wasn't like they "ran" to management in April or May. It happened in July,  more than halfway through the season so maybe it reached a point where things to out of hand.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

17 players, guess that was a small minority group (25-player roster)
    Posted by dannycater

that's exactly right, danny. Common sense rules here. Take  25 people. 17 feel the same way, being in the majority, are they wrong?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Valentine will make it two years in a row for the Red Sox manager to go out in a hail of bullets.

Who's next? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

To be clear about "not his fault," that's the part where the players who are under-performing or were under-performing needed to do their jobs regardless of manager. But everything else about BV has been proven--he's not a players manager, he's not a leader, he's not respected, he's not good with the media, he's often confused when talking to the media, he's not on the same page as the GM, and he's been out of MLB for a decade for a good reason---he's not a good manager.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : These " work horses " are not banding together against upper management. They are running to upper management, complaining about their immediate supervisor. It would be more impressive if they dealt with it like men.
    Posted by dgalehouse

How do you know they didn't? Sure they are, gale. A supervisor is considered management. Climb the ladder to their supervisors, with your grievances, chain of command. Thats how it works and they only way change can be made. Why were those 8 "stand up guy" maybe they were wimp's. the ones who confronted the situation head on are the stand up guys imo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

DA BRONX ZOO HAS RELOCATED 175 MILES NORTHEAST

I SAID IT WILL GET WORSE IT HAS

AND GUESS WHAT?  IT WILL CONTINUE TO GET WORSE

MUCH WORSE

THERE ARE SYSTEMATIC PROBLEMS ACROSS THE ORGANIZATION

THEY COULD HAVE STARTED THE FIX THIS YEAR AND HAD A CHANCE FOR NEXT YEAR

I AM AFRAID MY ESTIMATION OF THEM BEING COMPETITIVE IN 2013 IS STARTING TO WANE AND IF THEY DON'T HURRY FAST 2013 WILL BE A REPEAT

IT COULD BE OVER 5 YEARS WITHOUT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS

THEY HAVE THE 2ND HIGHEST PAYROLL

AND THEY ALLOW 10 TEAMS TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

PATHETIC

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

FIRE BOBBY VALENTINE NOW....GIVE THE TEAM AT LEAST A SHOT TO DO SOMETHING WITH 45 GAMES LEFT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

So they aired their grievances ... isn't that what men are supposed to do, settle things?    It didn't say they asked for Bobby to be fired.  So now we know what happened.  

And maybe they can play a little better for their millions, and at least play spoiler the rest of the year.  Because PD has sucked balls, he should take a picture of himslef and that St. Bernard in the tire commercial eating dog food while he whiffs again in a big situation.   Just stupid stuff from a team that needs it's butt kicked even MORE.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If this isn't the final straw, I will make my voice heard by boycotting all RS products!!!!

I wll still watch the games, & follow them, but I WILL BUY NOTHING else!!!

My yearly trip back east to see a couple of games will not continue!  I'll just spend all that time on the Cape. 

We must force a change! 

Sure!  I'd like to boycott the games, but I'm simply too weak!  It's my life!  Pathetic, but true.  I hate so many of these guys, but it's still MY TEAM!  For better or worse!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from REW. Show REW's posts

So Bobby V. is gone.  Tito didn't work, Bobby didn't work ...seemingly.  Next year, a new manager, does ownership still allow players the right to text and complain?I wish someone would tell Pedroia that this isn't the way, a leader acts.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The fact is that a chimpanzee could manage the Sox right now and it would be a better fit than BV. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

DA BRONX ZOO HAS RELOCATED 175 MILES NORTHEASTI SAID IT WILL GET WORSE IT HAS AND GUESS WHAT?  IT WILL CONTINUE TO GET WORSE MUCH WORSE THERE ARE SYSTEMATIC PROBLEMS ACROSS THE ORGANIZATION THEY COULD HAVE STARTED THE FIX THIS YEAR AND HAD A CHANCE FOR NEXT YEAR I AM AFRAID MY ESTIMATION OF THEM BEING COMPETITIVE IN 2013 IS STARTING TO WANE AND IF THEY DON'T HURRY FAST 2013 WILL BE A REPEAT IT COULD BE OVER 5 YEARS WITHOUT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS THEY HAVE THE 2ND HIGHEST PAYROLL AND THEY ALLOW 10 TEAMS TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS PATHETIC
    Posted by andrewmitch

who was at the helm when it was dubbed the Bronx zoo....Billy Martin??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

max, the meeting got called, that's the part you failed to mention. It's a meeting that took place and called by unhappy Sox players who DON'T WANT TO PLAY FOR VALENTINE...
    Posted by dannycater

Who said it didn't take place?  Not me.  In fact, my points assume the meeting did take place.  And my main point remains:  two managers in two years, both fired because of player ineptitude. Francona because he lost control, Bobby because he over-controlled or failed to communicate or left Lester in too long or said the wrong thing to the press or whatever.  My ancillary point is that Lester got better after getting tagged for 11 runs. Maybe he got the point. I don't of course think Bobby V wasn't trying to make a point.  He just didn't want to burn up his bullpen after his ace starter got tagged for 9 runs in the first two innings.  Funny thing is, Lester got through the next two innings unscatched, but then gave up his 4th dinger and 2 more runs in the 5th.  But innings 3 and 4 were ones the bullpen didn't have to pitch. Cold-blooded, yes, but necessary.

Our real disagreement is you honestly believe that managers inspire players to pitch shutouts, get clutch hits, etc, and I disagree. Pitchers make their own destinies by pitching well, almost completely independent of pep talks by managers. They are as likely to pitch well if their girlfriends get them to look through their eyelids, wear garter belts, or whatever. Same goes for hitters.  Managers make a difference with their lineups and their substitutions, especially relievers, during the game.  I think Bobby V has done pretty well at both.   

I do think it's possible Youk played badly on purpose--as Manny did in 2008 to get out of Boston, which is what Youk wanted to do--but not likely.   But I also don't think Middlebrooks played well because Bobby V inspired him--ditto Ortiz, ditto Ross, ditto AGon in July/August (in fact AGon's hitting has been fantastic since the July 27 meeting with 18 rbi's in August already), etc, etc.  Pedroia may well be mad at Bobby, but that isn't why his hitting is off, I don't think.  He is still getting over that thumb injury or his timing is off or whatever.  His defense remains excellent.  CC wants in the worst way to show what he can do, regardless of who the manager is.  That is even more true of Ellsbury who still wants that big long-term contract. 

I liked to give Francona credit when he was here for being a good manager, but let's not kid ourselves.  He was successful because he had great talent and not so successful when he didn't--see his stint at Philly. See Joe Torre wherever he was before he got the Yankees job.   Last year Francona had hands down the best lineup in baseball and still couldn't get to the playoffs.  Why?  Because the September pitching was the worst in MLB (highest ERA anyway). 

This year Bobby V got hit with the double whammy.  The rotation started bad and stayed bad, period.  Lester and Beckett have both been off.  Bard, not Bobby V's idea, was a mistake.  Matsuzaka--no way.  Buchholz started out horrible but now looks like an ace.  Cook, up and down. 

And the lineup has been a patchwork quilt.  Three months without CC and Ells.  Ross, Pedroia, Youk, Sweeney and Middlebrooks on the DL, and now Ortiz and Middlebrooks are both on it.  Only 1b, C and SS have remained healthy out of 9 lineup positions.  The reason why these guys won't play for Bobby V is primarily because they are on the dadgum DL.  Knute Rockne couldn't get these guys to play for him--ditto the Gipper.

It could have been a triple whammy because the bullpen should have been a disaster after the FO took out Pap and Bard and brought in two stiffs, Melancon and Bailey.  But Bobby V made it work, somehow. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Valentine being terminated is a foregone conclusion. It is only a matter of when it happens. That does not change the fact that this team is largely comprised of under-achieving , whining , sniveling , spoiled , overpaid losers. The same bunch who folded last year and caused Francona to be fired. Nothing has changed , except the manager. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Chimpanzee: eee-eee-ah
    Nick Punto: you wanted to see me, boss
    Chimpanzee: motions for Punto to shut the manager door by pointing
    Punto: I think I know what this is about.
    Chimpanzee: points at 2 cleats hanging on a nail on the wall of the manager's office.
    Punto: So you're saying it's time for me to hang my cleats for good? 
    Chimpanzee: eee-eee-ah
    Chimpanzee pats Punto on the back affectionately as he leads him out of the office. Chimpanzee accomplishes the "DFA" chat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

see, a monkey could manage the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : who was at the helm when it was dubbed the Bronx zoo....Billy Martin??
    Posted by J-BAY

Billy Martin and Bob Lemon

Sections
Shortcuts