Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

I actually have no idea whether the fault is with Valentine or the players, though I suspect a little of both.  But I do think that a third line of fault lies with management who hired Bobby in the first place.  Whatever one may think about the firing of Francona, he was the architect of a succesful club culture that existed for 8 years.  It was an institution.  To turn around and hire a guy who you know will try and insititute the exact opposite culture is really begging for disaster.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?:
    In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : Thats hard to say, pumpsie without actually knowing more of what's transpired. I think it has to be a lot more than leaving Lester in too long or a comment to middlebrooks. It's never one or two things that trigger something like this, it's usually cumulating over a period of time. Right or wrong, warranted or not, they obviously cant stand the guy.
    Posted by J-BAY

JBay, I could not care less if the like Valentine or hate him. Irrelevant. Some of my bosses I hated too, but I still had to show up at work every day and DO MY JOB. It makes it a little tougher; thats for sure. Guess these cream puffs can't handle it when the going gets tough. These guys disgust me. They should have just kept their mouths shut and done the best they could under the circumstances-like the rest of us have to do when we don't like our boss. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?:
    In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : Someone needs to go. A ringleader of the overpaid spoiled buffoon gang. This cannot be allowed to go unpunished. We could probably get some very good players or prospect, especially pitchers, for Pedroia. I am quite serious about this. The entitlement attitude that is the root of this problem must be addressed-firmly, promptly. We will not compete for any championships until professionalism returns to the franchise.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

A locker room full of under performing millionaires with guarnanteed contracts but those under performing millionaires say the problem is the manager making a snide remark or embarrassing one of those under performing millionaires by leaving him in the game too long? 

Bobby V may not be the solution but he is certainly not the problem.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : How could they be sure, in this day and age, it never got out to the media?
    Posted by J-BAY

You send ONE GUY in to meet with the boss. That reduces the chances to near zero. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

As always many here miss the point. Players are not "whining" or "blaming" the manager. They hate the manager.  And when the whole team hates the manager, it's the managers fault.  Because the managers job is to manage the players.. It's that simple.  Whether the players are lazy, entitled jerks or not isn't the point. Valentine can't manage them.  Which was obvious to me since they announced the hire.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

Try explaining that to the lynch mob, here. It's no use. We need to trade Pedroia and Gonzalez and Lester and Beckett and Salty and do it now, because god forbid if we can lose 44 straight games, we'll have proven our point!!!!! Damn the season, just keep the manager.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

I've read quite a few posts that said that the players can't play for BV.  

Well Bull S......   How about if they played for the Millions of Dollars that they are getting paid.  Hellloooooo out there.  

I wish they could ressurect Dick Williams to coach this poor excuse of a team. 

I've been a die hard Red Sox fan since 1967. This is the most pathetic bunch of overpaid, underachieving bunch of crybaby players I've seen in 45 Years. 

I won't say I'll never be back as a fan but for now. I'M GONE

Oh and a special KMA to Beckett, Lackey, Gonso and Pedroia. There are others who qualify for this special award but I'll just leave it to these three for now. Also a honorable mention for a KMA award goes to Ortiz who was disrespected at 14 Million. 

Pulleeeezzzze

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : You send ONE GUY in to meet with the boss. That reduces the chances to near zero. 
    Posted by pumpsie-green

The idea of 17 grown men going to complain about their boss is embarrassing to even think about.

"I'm gonna tell them about that thing he said to Will"
    "I'm gonna tell them how messed up it was to leave Lester in the game too long"
    "I'm gonna tell them about all the time he spends in his office"

Embarrassing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Hope the fans save some BOOS for Pedroia and Agon tonight just for being whiners. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Strength by numbers, I'm sure their feeling was that if enough guys showed solidarity about their distrust of BV, it would result in a change of manager.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I've read quite a few posts that said that the players can't play for BV.   Well Bull S......   How about if they played for the Millions of Dollars that they are getting paid.  Hellloooooo out there.   I wish they could ressurect Dick Williams to coach this poor excuse of a team.  I've been a die hard Red Sox fan since 1967. This is the most pathetic bunch of overpaid, underachieving bunch of crybaby players I've seen in 45 Years.  I won't say I'll never be back as a fan but for now. I'M GONE Oh and a special KMA to Beckett, Lackey, Gonso and Pedroia. There are others who qualify for this special award but I'll just leave it to these three for now. Also a honorable mention for a KMA award goes to Ortiz who was disrespected at 14 Million.  Pulleeeezzzze
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971

Good post. Maybe Valentine isn't the right man for this job. I really don't care tonite. The issue, the ONLY issue, is that these buffoons gave up on the team and refused to put out for their boss and for the fans. Pretty sad. They have no self respect at all. Their ONLY JOB was to bust their butts for their manager, whoever he is. Thats it. No complaining. No whining. Just hard work. They owed us that this year, and they failed. Instead, they sunk even lower. I too have ZERO respect for the ringleaders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I've read quite a few posts that said that the players can't play for BV.   Well Bull S......   How about if they played for the Millions of Dollars that they are getting paid.  Hellloooooo out there.  
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971

Thank You!!

Oh, but it is such a difficult work environment with Bobby V around, how could the players even be expected to function.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Strength by numbers, I'm sure their feeling was that if enough guys showed solidarity about their distrust of BV, it would result in a change of manager.
    Posted by dannycater

Children to the principle's office to complain about the teacher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Perhaps we should hold off until we know (1) who did not attend the meeting,
    and ( 2 ) what actually happened. We may never know the latter fully, but the attendees should man up.
    If Ortiz was amongst the non-attendees, that would, IMO, add some moral weight if not numbers or bulk to the party of seven. Eighteen present and seven absent in itself do not tell the whole story.
    Gonzalez is described as mild-mannered. No one on the outside knows how he behaves in public.
    Pedey has been upset since the day Papa Tito ceased to be the manager. 
    Let's hear the names of the Truant Seven.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Posted by dannycater

The players don't like their manager. Booo hoooo. TOO F'ING BAD. Do your damn jobs! Deal with it. Be real men in a real world! Not everyone likes every boss, but everyone employed still has a job to do. Screw these losers.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think the whole thing is way overblown, and people are only talking about it because either it's too painful to talk about the real issues facing this team, or they only want to call themselves Red Sox fans and  and then turn around and bash the team. But that's just my opinion. It is interesting that you don't see too many admitted Yankees fans on these doom and gloom, the sky is falling threads. Mostly all you see is so called Red Sox fans. As far as the Red Sox players liking Bobby V., who ever said they needed to? Do you think Billy Martin's guys all liked him? Or Dick Williams, Casey Stengel or John McGraw? In fact, without looking it up I'd be willing to wager that more championships have been won by universally loathed managers than universally loved ones. I guess this is just a long winded way of saying two things. First, the Red Sox as a team really need to suck it up. Second, I still think Bobby deserves a real shot. I didn't like his hiring, I think moon and some others will remember I wanted DeMarlo Hale, but I still think he deserves a shot at managing the Red Sox when the deck isn't stacked against him. If the Red Sox do retain him, he should allowed to name his own coaches, and he should probably sit down with ownership and reach some sort of agreement regarding disciplining players. Now I know I'll get flamed for having said this, and probably many of you are questioning my sanity right now. All I can say is it won't be the first time my soundness of mind was called into question. However, I think there are at least 3 reasons to bring back Valentine for the rest of his contract. First, what kind of message does it send to the rest of baseball for the Red Sox to fire 2 managers in 2 years? Second, the guy who really should be managing the Red Sox has his contract come up at the same time as BV. Third, we have to pay him anyway. Oh, and a fourth, I like what Bobby did with the bullpen this year, especially considering he lost his closer before the season even started.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Perhaps we should hold off until we know (1) who did not attend the meeting, and ( 2 ) what actually happened. We may never know the latter fully, but the attendees should man up. If Ortiz was amongst the non-attendees, that would, IMO, add some moral weight if not numbers or bulk to the party of seven. Eighteen present and seven absent in itself do not tell the whole story. Gonzalez is described as mild-mannered. No one on the outside knows how he behaves in public. Pedey has been upset since the day Papa Tito ceased to be the manager.  Let's hear the names of the Truant Seven.
    Posted by expitch

I'd like to hear what some guys who have played for multiple teams/managers have to say.  A guy like Cody Ross, maybe Cook or Podsednick.

Pedroia wasn't going to like whoever replaced his cribbage buddy, so his opinion holds little water.  Similar for Lester.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you feel sorry for a guy making 7 figures?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction?:
    Jeff Passan ‏ @ JeffPassan Sources: Owners held meeting after players sent text message to team, management complaining about Valentine. http:// yhoo.it/NBJYnG
    Posted by 2004Idiots

the media is all over this and the fans are the ones who suck this all in.Big f.... deal. Whats the real problem here?.... Answer.... Any one who worries about that stuff.........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : JBay, I could not care less if the like Valentine or hate him. Irrelevant. Some of my bosses I hated too, but I still had to show up at work every day and DO MY JOB. It makes it a little tougher; thats for sure. Guess these cream puffs can't handle it when the going gets tough. These guys disgust me. They should have just kept their mouths shut and done the best they could under the circumstances-like the rest of us have to do when we don't like our boss. 
    Posted by pumpsie-green

apparently, this may not have happened as reported. shocker!. Orisllo and Remy said some players say it didnt happen, some said there was a meeting but it wasnt because of or as reported. They then showed a video of ortiz, Valentine and pedroia talking to Valentine before the game. Valentine literally went over and gave pedroia kiss whe he was talking. So I'd hold off on trading PD;)

Remy and Orsillo said things have been strained since ST, but have gotten better as the season has gone on. Said they dont know what actually happened, but Remy did say ownership has monthly round table meeting with the players and have since taking over 10 years ago. If they dont know the truth, I doubt anyone in the media does. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I live in the greater DC area so I see lots of games at Camden Yards and when the Sox play there I have to watch the game on MASN, the Orioles station. 

Jim Palmer was talking about this issue.  His bottom line is the Sox are good enough to win and if they played to win the whole chicken and beer thing wouldn't have been an issue last year.

He acknowledged that injuries hurt the team but his bottom line is just play the game.  Play to win, stop making a big deal about nothing with Bobby V.  Pretty much he would like to see the team man-up, grow a spine and win a string of games.

I have listen to him on lots of broadcasts and have a great deal of respect for him and his love of the game.  I totally agree with him.

I had tickets to the last two games of the year at the Yard last year.  The Sox were absolutely pathetic.  Because of them Francona was tarred and feathered and ran out of town.  No matter what you think of his management style the guy did something no other manager could do in 86 years and he did it twice.  He didn't deserve that kind of treatment.

Now this group of underachievers are blaming Bobby V for their failures.  If they succeed in running him out of town they will blame the next manager and on and on it goes.

Jim Palmer hit the nail on the head, stop making something out of nothing, go out on the field and win games. Problem solved.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I think the whole thing is way overblown, and people are only talking about it because either it's too painful to talk about the real issues facing this team, or they only want to call themselves Red Sox fans and  and then turn around and bash the team. But that's just my opinion. It is interesting that you don't see too many admitted Yankees fans on these doom and gloom, the sky is falling threads. Mostly all you see is so called Red Sox fans. As far as the Red Sox players liking Bobby V., who ever said they needed to? Do you think Billy Martin's guys all liked him? Or Dick Williams, Casey Stengel or John McGraw? In fact, without looking it up I'd be willing to wager that more championships have been won by universally loathed managers than universally loved ones. I guess this is just a long winded way of saying two things. First, the Red Sox as a team really need to suck it up. Second, I still think Bobby deserves a real shot. I didn't like his hiring, I think moon and some others will remember I wanted DeMarlo Hale, but I still think he deserves a shot at managing the Red Sox when the deck isn't stacked against him. If the Red Sox do retain him, he should allowed to name his own coaches, and he should probably sit down with ownership and reach some sort of agreement regarding disciplining players. Now I know I'll get flamed for having said this, and probably many of you are questioning my sanity right now. All I can say is it won't be the first time my soundness of mind was called into question. However, I think there are at least 3 reasons to bring back Valentine for the rest of his contract. First, what kind of message does it send to the rest of baseball for the Red Sox to fire 2 managers in 2 years? Second, the guy who really should be managing the Red Sox has his contract come up at the same time as BV. Third, we have to pay him anyway. Oh, and a fourth, I like what Bobby did with the bullpen this year, especially considering he lost his closer before the season even started.
    Posted by carnie
    I'll admit that I thought you were crazy a couple of time, but not this time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Exclusive: Red Sox stars blast manager Bobby Valentine in heated July meeting with ownership-Your Reaction? : apparently, this may not have happened as reported. shocker!. Orisllo and Remy said some players say it didnt happen, some said there was a meeting but it wasnt because of or as reported. They then showed a video of ortiz, Valentine and pedroia talking to Valentine before the game. Valentine literally went over and gave pedroia kiss whe he was talking. So I'd hold off on trading PD;) Remy and Orsillo said things have been strained since ST, but have gotten better as the season has gone on. Said they dont know what actually happened, but Remy did say ownership has monthly round table meeting with the players and have since taking over 10 years ago. If they dont know the truth, I doubt anyone in the media does. 
    Posted by J-BAY

IF it happened the way the media presented it THEN I would be in favor of getting rid of Pedroia. Cherington did confirm that a meeting occurred. Orsillo and Remy don't have a clue about this; and they are paid by the Red Sox.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts