Excusez moi, y is it its only in baseball and hockey where its ok to "police" yourself with THUGGERY but not in football and basketball?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Excusez moi, y is it its only in baseball and hockey where its ok to

Its a good question and the answer isnt pretty. Although,  I don't mind the occasional fight in any sport. Just because you're an athlete, doesn't automatically make you a role model. You're not a beacon of all that is good because of you're uncanny ability to hit a ball 400ft, make a 15ft jumper, catch a touchdown pass, or ice skate pretty well while weighing 200 lbs. Are there criminals, thugs, crime, & corruption in sports? Yes. The truth is, when it comes to crime & thuggery, and coruption, the U. S. Congress has them all beat. Meta-WorldPeace is the least of my concerns. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Its a good question and the answer isnt pretty. Although,  I don't mind the occasional fight in any sport. Just because you're an athlete, doesn't automatically make you a role model. You're not a beacon of all that is good because of you're uncanny ability to hit a ball 400ft, make a 15ft jumper, catch a touchdown pass, or ice skate pretty well while weighing 200 lbs. Are there criminals, thugs, crime, & corruption in sports? Yes. The truth is, when it comes to crime & thuggery, and coruption, the U. S. Congress has them all beat. Meta-WorldPeace is the least of my concerns. 

well said. I don't watch hockey so i can't comment on that but there is such an unbalance of power in baseball between the pitcher and hitter. the pitcher has all the power, if a batter shows him up, acts disrespectful or anything like that you can bet the pitcher will hurl a 95MPH FB at him. and all he has to say in defense is "oops... it got away from me". Baseball is a fight for the inner-part of the plate, a pitcher should always be trying to back the hitter off the inside. What better way to do that than plunk a guy? and what can a batter do to protect himself? charging the mound is a batters way of saying enough is enough. If you want to hit me OK, i'll hit back. Remember a few years ago ('08 i think??) when Youk led the league in HBP, he was everyones pincusion. he go sick of getting plunked becauce pitchers didn't like that he owned the inside of the plate so he charged the mound ( i think it was against the tigers) and then what happened? pitchers stopped beaning him.

HPB, charging the mound and brawls are part of the game. It happens, wouldn't be baseball without it. but everyones so reactionary that anytime a player gets hurt (see Buster Posey injury and the subsequent hysteria over laying the wood on a catcher blocking the plate) the rules have to be changed to make sure it never happens again. Newsflash: people get hurt, it occurs in every aspect of the game. Running the bases, sliding, fielding, batting, pitching, charging, blocking. There's examples of players getting hurt in all these situations. Should we ban those too?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The problem with baseball today is that every hitter thinks hes hit on purpose. The incident with LAD and SD is a prime example. 3-2 count, 2-1 game with a runner on 1b. baseball 101 would tell you that pitch wasnt on purpose.

Be a man and take your slow trot down to 1b. If it was the 1st pitch, then I can see it. Certainly not the 6th or 7th though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Take away the pitchers intimidation factor and you take away his effectiveness. Bob Gibson was a great pitcher ...lean too close to the plate, take too much time getting in the box and you'd see high heat whizzing by your ear.

If batters are allowed to be too comfortable then pitching becomes batting practice.

These incidents when pitchers need to establish their inside fastball or stop batters from trying to upset the pitcher's rhythm are what leads to knockdown pitches and bean balls.

The reason why Pedro always gets labeled a "head hunter" or whatever is because when he was on , he was virtually unhittable. At that point the batters can only resort to desperate measures and they start to crowd the plate and step out of the box to try and gain an advantage any way they can.

It's a tug of war and it will not ever end. As far as why it doesn't happen in football...the football players are able to get revenge unseen as the camera can't catch all 22 players at once, I am sure that you have seen skirmishes in the pile that get broken up by the refs. Plus it is completely legal to all but decapitate an opponet on any given play. Why brawl when the point of the game ( in this era) is to hit as hard as possible and try to seperate your opponent from his helmet , shoes and pads on every play? Why do you think so many ex-NFL players are shooting themselves?...the game is all about maiming each other and leaving everyone brain dead on retirement....what good does all this big money do these guys when they are all either dead or comatose by age 60?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

"loved pedro but i dont recall him being such a tough enforcer when he pitched in the NL"

You may wish to fact-check this with Reggie Sanders.  And a host of other NL hitters.

Sections
Shortcuts